Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Hawaii may increase legal smoking age to 100

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Hawaii may increase legal smoking age to 100
BBC
February 5th, 2019

Hawaii could raise the legal smoking age to 100, effectively banning cigarettes for the vast majority of people in the state.

In a new bill, proposed by Democrat Richard Creagan, the smoking age would increase rapidly between 2020 and 2024.

It will need to pass through the state legislature and weather a potentially strong backlash from tobacco companies in order to become state law.

E-cigarettes, chewing tobacco and cigars are not included in the bill.

Dr Creagan, who was an emergency room physician before he was elected as state representative in 2014, calls the cigarette "the deadliest artefact in human history" in the bill.

Read the full story here.

Say what? WTF ? I don't smoke ( tobacco ) but that's unreal. What's happening to this world?

W R

I mean you can shoot heroin daily for 40 years and probably not end up with cancer..... the same can't be said of smoking cigs....

I highly doubt this will pass, but if it does, there will be a hell of a lot more people smoking cigars. I can't imagine that would be significantly healthier than smoking cigarettes if done at the same frequency and dosage. The one bright side would be that it would encourage people to move to e-cigarettes. Overall, though, it would just be adding another drug to the prohibition mess that we should be moving things out of, not in to.

Cigars are covered under a smoking age as well.... i don't see how that would happen.

E-cigs too....

This is absolutely retarded, can you say black market? Haven't we learned these lessons by now?

The health effects of smoking speak for themselve and education on those effects has worked wonders for reducing the rate of smokers. Why can't we keep going down that path?

How i missed that is beyond me..... banning cigarettes effectively, but not other tobacco seems rather foolish.

How i missed that is beyond me..... banning cigarettes effectively, but not other tobacco seems rather foolish.

Not at all. The processed big-name cigarettes are full of chemicals, additives, cancer-causing agents when combusted etc. - leave Grandpa's snuff alone. Leave the millennial kids' e-cigs alone. But fucking ban the cigarettes in that part of the world; the butts are going to end up in the fucking ocean.

The chemical nicotine is much too addictive to fully ban. People would then circumvent the laws by having it prescribed by a doctor and yes there are ampules of nicotine in the medical world.

SA lists a 1mg/ml 1ml solution for right under $20. It exists in the medical and testing worlds so there's going to be overlap in the recreational lives of citizens.

Banning the chemical entirely would create another drug-void for China, etc. to fill.

I would continue on about why I believe this is best but it sincerely does not matter much; I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything but just explain my singular point of view, which might not be the best anyways. *shrugs*

Haven't we learned these lessons by now?

https://www.khon2.com/news/local-ne...-still-a-problem_20180309122653862/1025873241

Smoking is now banned at all city and state parks and beaches, but park and beach goers say they're still seeing cigarette butts littering the ground.

Signs posted on trash cans at Kapiolani Park state "no smoking," but cigarette butts still litter the ground near picnic tables.

"Nine times out of 10, it's non smokers," said Honolulu resident Francisco Fernandez. "We're out here cleaning them up and picking them up. It's just bad overall.

Yes we've learned the beaches are more important than you or I ever will be.

Sorry.

Last edited:
But fucking ban the cigarettes in that part of the world; the butts are going to end up in the fucking ocean.

That's a fair point. If they ban cigarettes but allow cigars, e-cigarettes, and loose-leaf tobacco, that would not be so terrible.

That's a fair point. If they ban cigarettes but allow cigars, e-cigarettes, and loose-leaf tobacco, that would not be so terrible.

Smokers would just switch to smoking loose-leaf tobacco out of a pipe or even a home made bong like marijuana smokers use.

Totally pointless proposal for a law.

IIRC America has cheap prices for cigarettes which is the opposite of Australia where the Federal government taxes the hell out of cigarettes to the point a pack of the cheapest brand have risen 70 percent in price today since 2010 making smoking that prohibitively expensive most young people no longer take up smoking.

But for Australians on low incomes who smoke they live in poverty even after turning to purchasing cheaper black market un-taxed tobacco.

Black market smokes are a huge industry in AUS but chop-chop as it is locally known is shite to smoke. However they're is also wealth in Australia with well paid tradesmen and university educated white collar professionals all earning enough to cover the cost of a daily habit of a packet of overpriced yet decent to smoke Taylor made cigarettes. I know for a fact many older self-funded Australian retiree's wishing to smoke well into old age relocate to Asian countries like Thailand and the Philippines to live out their retirement because brand name taylor made smokes are cheap in Asia and indoor smoking bans in bars are yet to come in.

Two good things for Australians trying to quit smoking is nicotine replacement patches are affordable and even subsidised by the pharmaceutical benefit scheme as well as indoor smoking bans in all public buildings and even smoke-free outdoor restaurant seating areas. Trying to quit smoking is so much easier today than back in the 90s when smoking was allowed just about everywhere.

For the record i once smoked but gave them up and i have friends who still smoke and i respect my friends choice to smoke, they enjoy it and they pay the price what tobacco cost but i have tried reasoning with them on the benefits of quitting but at the end of the day it's their choice. They are adults and can't be forced to stop something i don't agree with.

Smokers would just switch to smoking loose-leaf tobacco out of a pipe or even a home made bong like marijuana smokers use.

Totally pointless proposal for a law.

I was responding to Captain Heroin's post, which brings up banning cigarettes for environmental, not public health, motives. In such a case, people switching to smoking tobacco out of a pipe would be exactly the desired effect.

Exactly. No one cares about the fucking ASHES. No one wants to see a beautiful beach turn ratchet like the Jersey Shore with 10 trillion cigarette butts.

They could even sell unfiltered cigarettes and I'd be just as happy; the tobacco material and paper will degrade MUCH quicker than those fucking insidious filters.

I mean you can shoot heroin daily for 40 years and probably not end up with cancer..... the same can't be said of smoking cigs....
Not necessarily. I've had chain-smoking relatives make it well into their 80s, one great aunt past 100. Then there's the poor bastard who dies of lung cancer at 40 who's never had a cigarette in their life. It's all in the genetic luck of the draw. And everyone likes to pretend that vaping is a benign alternative to cigarettes but it's got a witches' brew of chemicals as well and the American Lung Association has determined most e cig liquids cause bronchiolitis, more commonly known as "popcorn lung."

Not necessarily. I've had chain-smoking relatives make it well into their 80s, one great aunt past 100. Then there's the poor bastard who dies of lung cancer at 40 who's never had a cigarette in their life. It's all in the genetic luck of the draw. And everyone likes to pretend that vaping is a benign alternative to cigarettes but it's got a witches' brew of chemicals as well and the American Lung Association has determined most e cig liquids cause bronchiolitis, more commonly known as "popcorn lung."

This is fair information to put forth, though e-cig liquid doesn't have to have a lot of chemicals to work in theory.

...the American Lung Association has determined most e cig liquids cause bronchiolitis, more commonly known as "popcorn lung."

That's not quite accurate. A Harvard study found that most e-cigarette liquids contain a detectable amount of diacetyl, a compound which has been associated with bronchiolitis obliterans in popcorn factory workers. There certainly hasn't been any evidence yet of e-cigarettes leading to bronchiolitis obliterans. That said, I would be extremely wary of inhaling all sorts of compounds that were never used or designed for inhalation. Is it possible to get "flavourless" e-cigarette liquid?

Hawaii had give or take 10 million tourists in 2018; they aren't banning cigarette smoking.