• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How long are magic musrooms consumable? Can i take it with my AVPD?

Kwilli

Greenlighter
I got my shrooms at the end of december. Are they still good to eat? my dealer says so, but i would like to hear it from others too. I have avoidant personality disorder (I'm harsh on my self , negative selftalk low self esteem etc. )and told to have anxiety too , when i smoke weed i get in a very negative state of mind with negative thoughts of myself , get depressed.My set and setting is like:I'm at a difficult point in my life low self esteem, depression this personality disorder too.But i can have 2 friends and my sister with me at home so it's a positive enviroment with familiar people who can help trip sit me.I took rexetin (wihch is safe with shrooms as far as guys says at Bluelight.org) and Frontin( Alprazolam) i took them for 2 weeks and then we switched(so i'm not taking those anymore) to Rilex(Lorazepam) and Yarocen (mirtazapine) i'm taking these for a few days.
Can i do a light trip with low dosage tonight?(if the shrooms still consumable)
Sorry if my english was wrong..
If there's a post like this already that answers my questions(which i doubt because it is a little unique i guess) send it to me please. Thank you!
New to posting sorry if this is an off-topic or in wrong thread

First of all, your mushrooms are fine. Stored away from light and heat and moisture, they'll last a long time. Even in poor storage conditions, 2 months or less is barely any time.

As far as taking them with your mindset, this is risky. I think there is potential there for great healing, as well as trauma. I find mushrooms to be some of the more challenging psychedelics, but also potentially among the most transformative. I would definitely recommend starting low, like 1 gram, and see where it takes you. Weed making you anxious and paranoid does not mean psychedelics will - in those prone to anxiety, weed is among the most anxiogenic of all substances.

Mirtazapine will likely make it harder to trip, though. Benzos like loprazepam will also reduce trip intensity.

Mirtazapine blocks 5HT2a receptors, so chances are you might not feel much from the shrooms. Benzodiazepines also significantly decrease the intensity of a psychedelic experience.

I got my shrooms at the end of december. Are they still good to eat? my dealer says so, but i would like to hear it from others too. I have avoidant personality disorder (I'm harsh on my self , negative selftalk low self esteem etc. )and told to have anxiety too , when i smoke weed i get in a very negative state of mind with negative thoughts of myself , get depressed.My set and setting is like:I'm at a difficult point in my life low self esteem, depression this personality disorder too.But i can have 2 friends and my sister with me at home so it's a positive enviroment with familiar people who can help trip sit me.I took rexetin (wihch is safe with shrooms as far as guys says at Bluelight.org) and Frontin( Alprazolam) i took them for 2 weeks and then we switched(so i'm not taking those anymore) to Rilex(Lorazepam) and Yarocen (mirtazapine) i'm taking these for a few days.
Can i do a light trip with low dosage tonight?(if the shrooms still consumable)
Sorry if my english was wrong..
If there's a post like this already that answers my questions(which i doubt because it is a little unique i guess) send it to me please. Thank you!
New to posting sorry if this is an off-topic or in wrong thread
There are a few things that you should be aware of. First of all I am not an expert on Avoidant Personality Disorder but I can easily see Psychedelics giving someone with that condition a hard time. You will literally be forced to confront your problems on a Psychedelic and that can easily cause a bad trip. A bad trip usually is not a big issue, but it could definitely worsen depression, anxiety, and in rare cases it could cause PTSD. Cannabis is a very mild psychedelic and although you can have different reactions to different drugs, you should look at it as an indication of how you can handle negative headspaces. If you cannot smoke weed without having a problem, then you should definitely be careful about using a more powerful psychedelic which could put you in an even worse headspace. If you do decide to take the mushrooms, DO NOT use cannabis with it. Experienced trippers have had problems with thst combo because weed is to Psychedelics what gasoline is to fire. You should also keep a benzodiazepine close by in the event of an emergency. Benzodiazepines can end trips fairly quickly, so many psychonauts refer to them as a parachute. Xanax works best because it kicks in the fastest but any Benzo should work. Next you should know that SSRI’s and other Serotonin re-uptake antagonists like Mirtazepine will have a strong impact on your trip. Classical Psychedelics like Mushrooms and LSD affect the 5HT2A receptor site. This is a primary target for anti-depressants like the ones you are taking or have recently taken. Also you should know that those Serotinergic medications stay in your system for about a month after discontinuation. There is a strong possibility that you will not get any effects, or at least any major effects, until you wait a month or more after stopping these medications. That being said, you SHOULD NOT stop these medications for a month just to trip. Doing so will likely worsen your condition and put you in a bad mindset which would predispose you to having a bad trip. Nothing is more important than Set and Setting. My recommendation is that you set the (dried) mushrooms aside in an air tight bag for later. They should keep fine for awhile. Wait until you have discontinued your medications with your psychiatrists blessing and until you are in a positive mindset. Set aside some Xanax or Lorazepam in case you or a friend needs it to end a bad trip. That being said you can learn a lot from bad trips so you do not neccisarily need to end one unless you think you cannot ride it out. Just wait for a better time, it will come I promise

Last edited:
Stop taking lorazepam and benzos these are very damaging drugs which you should be more worried about than shrooms. Shrooms with your psychological disorder are not safe either. As Shadowmeister said, there is a chance you can have a healing trip which can improve your mindset dramatically but there is also a chance that you can have a traumatic trip which could make you a lot worse. It's entirely up to you whether you want to take that chance. A low dose in a positive environment shouldn't be all that dangerous but psychedelics can be very unpredictable.

A good substance for someone with psychological issues like yours is kava, a legal root from Polynesia which you can order online. It has anxiety anxiety, relaxing and mood boosting properties along with very mild psychedelic qualities. It is far safer than benzos. Ditch the benzos before it's too late, try therapy, herbs, good diet, and exercise. You can overcome these problems.

Stop taking lorazepam and benzos these are very damaging drugs which you should be more worried about than shrooms. Shrooms with your psychological disorder are not safe either. As Shadowmeister said, there is a chance you can have a healing trip which can improve your mindset dramatically but there is also a chance that you can have a traumatic trip which could make you a lot worse. It's entirely up to you whether you want to take that chance. A low dose in a positive environment shouldn't be all that dangerous but psychedelics can be very unpredictable.

A good substance for someone with psychological issues like yours is kava, a legal root from Polynesia which you can order online. It has anxiety anxiety, relaxing and mood boosting properties along with very mild psychedelic qualities. It is far safer than benzos. Ditch the benzos before it's too late, try therapy, herbs, good diet, and exercise. You can overcome these problems.
I didnt recall reading how often the OP used his benzodiazepines. It is true that they should not be used often or long term but occasional use under a supervised physician is probably not a big deal. Even once or twice a week is fine according to my doctor. Withdraw and dependence are more likely to occur with regular use. As long as the OP is just taking the benzodiazepines a few times a month under the supervision of a doctor, and as long as the OP does not mix them with another depressant like alcohol, they should not be a problem. Kava is not completely safe, and it has not been studied enough unfortunately. One problem with Kava is that it inhibits certain liver enzymes meaning it could have significant reactions with other medications. Regardless, it is a Gabba agonist just like Benzodiazapimes so you probably should not take Kava regularly either. If you decide to use Kava then you should tell your doctor, but they wont likely know enough about it so its not worth the headache in my opinion

First of all, he did say how long he was using benzodiazpines. He said he was taking alprazolam for two weeks and then he recently switched to lorazepam. To me that tells me he is taking them on the regular. Of course it's possible I'm wrong and he only took alprazolam once a week for the two weeks but I do not think it is an unwarranted assumption as typically in that scenario a person would not phrase it that way.

Secondly, your logic regarding kava is very poor. The fact that kava and benzodiazepines are both GABA agonists does not mean they have the same effects. Kava can be used regularly without creating a severe dependence.

Not sure if this was listed and im lazy, if you see any mold on the mushrooms do not eat them. Until that day comes they're good.

First of all, he did say how long he was using benzodiazpines. He said he was taking alprazolam for two weeks and then he recently switched to lorazepam. To me that tells me he is taking them on the regular. Of course it's possible I'm wrong and he only took alprazolam once a week for the two weeks but I do not think it is an unwarranted assumption as typically in that scenario a person would not phrase it that way.

Secondly, your logic regarding kava is very poor. The fact that kava and benzodiazepines are both GABA agonists does not mean they have the same effects. Kava can be used regularly without creating a severe dependence.
These are the possible side effects from Kava
Allergic skin reactions
Dizziness
Drowsiness
Enlarged pupils
Gastrointestinal upset
Headache
Hepatitis (acute)
Liver damage
Liver failure
Motor reflex impairment
Oculomotor equilibrium disturbances
Parkinsonism
Visual accommodation disturbances
Body weight decreases (chronic use)
Facial puffiness (chronic use)
Blood in the urine (chronic use)
Kava dermopathy (chronic use)
Lymphocytopenia (chronic use)
Movement disorders (chronic use)
Protein levels decrease (chronic use)
Pulmonary hypertension (chronic use)
Rash (chronic use)
Red blood cell volume increases (chronic use)
Low blood platelet count (thrombocytopenia) (chronic use)

Granted, some of these problems may by from Tudei Kava, not Noble Kava but nobody can really be certain about that without more studies. The reason I made a comment about not taking a GABAergic regularly is because of the seizure risk. Put simply, GABAergic drugs relax the body, decreasing the amount of signals in certain regions of the brain. With continued use, your body will adjust and you begin to send out extra signals to counteract the medication. Suddenly stop the GABAergic and the excess signals can cause a seizure or at the very least, the seizure threshold will become lower. This means that something like alcohol withdraw could come with a seizure instead of just a headache and nausea. All that being said, there is still the issue of Kava inhibiting certain liver enzymes causing significant drug reactions. Again, I recommend sticking with well studied pharmaceuticals so your doctors can advise you instead of people on the internet like us who have not gone to med school. I use medical Cannabis and it seems to bother every single doctor I have and every pharmacist I ask. They know next to nothing about Cannabis, and that is a very common, very old drug in America. I cannot imagine what they would think about something as obscure and unstudied as Kava

Last edited:
LOL kava withdrawal does not cause seizures, benzo withdrawal on the other hand does. I could post the list of side effects from benzos and it would be a hell of a lot longer than the kava list.

I also don't believe kava poses a significant risk to the liver. Read this https://www.innovativelifestyles.co...-behind-claims-of-liver-toxicity-and-kava-use

Sticking with well studied pharmaceuticals is quite stupid if those pharmaceuticals have been shown to be harmful. Do you know why why herbs haven't been studied as much as many pharmaceuticals? Because it's not profitable since you cannot patent a natural plant. However, kava has been used for thousands of years by the natives of Polynesia. A lot is known about it, it's far safer than benzos and if you do have an adverse reaction you can simply stop taking it. The problem with benzos is that many of the side effects do not even show up until it's too late. You can take them for months or years and not notice anything wrong (although you may gradually become more and more depressed during this period) then you try to stop and all hell breaks loose and it's too late to do anything about it.

If you are concerned that your doctor doesn't know about it (never mind the fact that doctors are notoriously ignorant about benzos also) you can consult an herbalist or a doctor who is knowledgable about herbs.

LOL kava withdrawal does not cause seizures, benzo withdrawal on the other hand does. I could post the list of side effects from benzos and it would be a hell of a lot longer than the kava list.

I also don't believe kava poses a significant risk to the liver. Read this https://www.innovativelifestyles.co...-behind-claims-of-liver-toxicity-and-kava-use

Sticking with well studied pharmaceuticals is quite stupid if those pharmaceuticals have been shown to be harmful. Do you know why why herbs haven't been studied as much as many pharmaceuticals? Because it's not profitable since you cannot patent a natural plant. However, kava has been used for thousands of years by the natives of Polynesia. A lot is known about it, it's far safer than benzos and if you do have an adverse reaction you can simply stop taking it. The problem with benzos is that many of the side effects do not even show up until it's too late. You can take them for months or years and not notice anything wrong (although you may gradually become more and more depressed during this period) then you try to stop and all hell breaks loose and it's too late to do anything about it.

If you are concerned that your doctor doesn't know about it (never mind the fact that doctors are notoriously ignorant about benzos also) you can consult an herbalist or a doctor who is knowledgable about herbs.
Kava cannot cause seizures? I am sorry doctor, I did not know you completed Stage 3 clinical trials for Kava. Like I said previously, GABAergic drugs can lower the seizure threshold. Maybe it will never happen to you, but you do not know the OPs medical history. If someone has epilepsy, if they are going through Alcohol withdraw, etc that individual will have a lower seizure threshold. If someone already has a lower seizure threshold, then something like discontinuing the habitual use of Kava could theoretically cause a seizure. If someone has one seizure then they can have neurological problems and are more likely to have another seizure in the future. This is a harm reduction website so we have to play it safe when giving someone advice. Benzodiazepines were created to replace Barbituates because they can be prescribed to suicidal patients. There is a case in the literature of someone taking 100mg of Xanax (.25mg threshold) and they woke up the next day without any lasting damage. Do not take more than the recommended dose but as long as you do not mix a Benzo with another depressant, and as long as you dont take it often enough to get a physical dependence you will be fine. You cannot make the same guarantee with Kava since it is untested coming from an unknown source with unknown contaminants and at an unknown potency

However, kava has been used for thousands of years by the natives of Polynesia. A lot is known about it, it's far safer than benzos and if you do have an adverse reaction you can simply stop taking it. The problem with benzos is that many of the side effects do not even show up until it's too late. You can take them for months or years and not notice anything wrong (although you may gradually become more and more depressed during this period) then you try to stop and all hell breaks loose and it's too late to do anything about it.

Oh, kava is safe because it's been used by the natives of Polynesia for thousands of years? Guess that settles it, then.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a tasty bite of my recently-deceased grandpa's flesh. What?! It's perfectly healthy, the native Polynesians have been doing it for thousands of years! Don't believe these fancy scientists with their "prion hypotheses" and "protein folding simulations" and "brain MRI's" - Ancient Wisdom(tm) beats actual science any day of the week. Kuru, the deadly incurable neurodegenerative disease, is clearly caused by witches putting curses upon people, not the tasty long pig meat of our ancestors. In fact, I could go for another bite right now. Guys? Hey guys, the witch responsible for Dave's Kuru is my mother-in-law, I'm 100% sure of it! Let's go stone her!

I'm not an expert but it does not sound like you should take mushrooms, maybe in the future but not now, just judging by the information you've given us. I know thats not what you want to hear, but its good you came here to ask first.

IMO weed can be a good litmus test to if someone will be able to handle a full on psychedelic drug like mushrooms. Not always, but generally. If weed makes you feel negative mental effects, mushrooms likely will too. IME the sort of difficult/bad thought processes with weed are similar to the difficult/bad thought processes with mushrooms.

As for the viability of mushrooms, I've had mushrooms that were just fine after over a year. Just need to make sure they're dry, stay dry, away from light and stored under cool conditions.

Last edited:
Oh, kava is safe because it's been used by the natives of Polynesia for thousands of years? Guess that settles it, then.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a tasty bite of my recently-deceased grandpa's flesh. What?! It's perfectly healthy, the native Polynesians have been doing it for thousands of years! Don't believe these fancy scientists with their "prion hypotheses" and "protein folding simulations" and "brain MRI's" - Ancient Wisdom(tm) beats actual science any day of the week. Kuru, the deadly incurable neurodegenerative disease, is clearly caused by witches putting curses upon people, not the tasty long pig meat of our ancestors. In fact, I could go for another bite right now. Guys? Hey guys, the witch responsible for Dave's Kuru is my mother-in-law, I'm 100% sure of it! Let's go stone her!
^Hilarious, this guy knows whats up. Why dont you try Areca (Betel) Nuts or the Amanita Muscaria mushroom? Indigenous people have likely been using them for centuries so they must be safe. Doctors and scientists say that they are toxic but what do they know anyways? Its not like there is anyone who studies drugs scientifically or anything like that

To be honest kava feels really bad for my liver. Every time I use it I get a little bit of pain in my abdomen and if I use it multiple days in a row it makes me feel kind of sick. One time, years ago, I used the extract for 7 days in a row to try to help me through opiate withdrawal and I got very sick with terrible abdomen pain and some jaundice before I realized what was making me sick and stopped using it and I got better quite rapidly. I think it has an unusually negative reaction for me... I've also read of some people who have had hospitalizations due to liver problems from very light use of kratom, whereas I used to use 30+ grams of kratom a day for years without any issues. So I'm not trying to say "kava is bad!"... I don't think that. I also do think benzos can be very bad and are way misprescribed/overused, yet can be used responsibly and effectively, too. But I don't think either, that just because kava is a plant, it's safe. Datura is a plant, too, as are myriad other plants that can kill or main you.