• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Possible Kratom and Alcohol Interaction

Lysergaman

Bluelighter
Whenever I drink alcohol after taking Kratom my face becomes bright red and gets hot. This does not happen to me when I drink alcohol or take Kratom by themselves. I know that some people get a flushed face after drinking if they are unable to break down acetaldehyde efficiently. I have been wondering if Kratom somehow impairs the breakdown of acetaldehyde. Since acetaldehyde is toxic, do you think this is a good reason to avoid this combination? Has anyone else had similar experiences? I have not been able to find much info online so I would appreciate any insight

That doesnt sound good, kratom is very hepatotoxic for some people at least, I recommend a quick google search to find more about the subject.

That doesnt sound good, kratom is very hepatotoxic for some people at least, I recommend a quick google search to find more about the subject.
I could be wrong, but I believe that the hepatotoxicicty of Kratom only affects a small percentage of the population. I think that the people who are affected in this way have a genetic abnormality where they do not produce enough of the enzymes needed to metabolize Kratom. If that happens to someone, they may experience itching, jaundice, and urine that is the color of Coca Cola which are quite dramatic indicators of Liver problems. Thankfully, it seems like people with this reaction will make a full recovery if they just stop taking Kratom all together. I have never had any reaction like this from Kratom, and i am not sure if Kratom could cause hepatotoxicicty outside of that extreme scenario.

I've noticed this too. I normally don't get the bright red face effect from moderate amounts of alcohol but it does often happen if I drink a couple drinks while on kratom.

I had just assumed, possibly incorrectly so, that the face reddening/burning was due to the combination of both Kratoms and alcohols dehydrating effects both working in tandem.

I mix alcohol and kratom almost every day and I've never had any issues.

I couldn't find any studies that reported an interaction between kratom and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. That said, your symptoms are consistent with acetaldehyde build-up. Given that acetaldehyde is the main driver of ethanol-induced liver toxicity, I would strongly suggest avoiding this combination.

I couldn't find any studies that reported an interaction between kratom and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. That said, your symptoms are consistent with acetaldehyde build-up. Given that acetaldehyde is the main driver of ethanol-induced liver toxicity, I would strongly suggest avoiding this combination.
This is really good to know, I hope there is a study on this soon. In the past I have used cannabis along with the Kratom and Alcohol because weed seems to be Hepatoprotective, but it isnt worth the risk.

i think anyone will develop liver problems if they continue to mix kratom and regular high dose of alcohol. i am primary example. i used kratom and alcohol 8 years ago with no problem but that was because i only drank few beers a night. after stopping kratom for 8 years 2 years back i restarted and this time i was a heavy alcohol user drinking all day and night. thats when i developed hepatitis from mixing kratom and alcohol. i believe its the heavy use of alcohol for a year or more and adding kratom is whats going to cause liver problems to anyone, not just few. anyway, i highly discourage kratom and alcohol mixture although i dont seem to have learned since i have done it recently again. but i really try not to drink too much on it, for sure.