• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How do you get the most out of your ativan? What is the oral onset of action?

poppyplanet

Bluelighter
I've been a benzo user for over 20 years now. The weird thing is that I remember just 2 years ago the drug Ativan calmed me down at only 3mg. Now, during this time I was also taking Xanax when I ran out of my Ativan. The problem and question I have here right now is that it seems as though no matter what the mg I dose with, the Ativan I take now doesn't do much for relaxation. I know my benzo tolerance was high and has been for years now but I thought Ativan, since not doing it for 2 years now, would help me a little. Don't get me wrong, it's a slight mood lift, only when I add in my marijuana though. Any advice on what mg is a good relaxation starter with a bowl of weed? Also, how long does Ativan usually take to kick in sublingually. How's snorting it? I know the bioavailability snorting benzos makes it pointless but is there at least quicker response time if snorted? Thanks for reading this, I hope someone out there can answer these questions. Be safe!

While the onset of any effects from IN-insufflating Ativan might be faster, the highly reduced BA makes SL-sublingual/ PO-oral much more desirable. The study below used concentrated liquid vs a low purity pill with binders and excipients also.

The IN route has been studied previously in humans as well.It was found to have a moderate concentration profile, as evidenced by its 51% absolute bioavailability.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5a01/530d1feaa0a3ba81fc914689de40e879f806.pdf

Key: B=IM-intramuscular injection, C=PO-oral, D=SL-sublingual.

Absolute systemic bioavailability for trials B(IM), C(PO), D(SL) averaged 95.9% (IM), 99.8% (PO), 94.1% (SL), respectively; none of these differed significantly from 100%.

Absorption of oral and sublingual lorazepam tended to be less rapid than intramuscular injection, although differences were not significant. Times of peak concentration were 2.37(PO), 2.35(SL) hr post dose for trials C & D respectively; values of absorption half-life were 32.5(PO), 28.5(SL) min.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6121043

I can't really advise on what dose would be right for you concerning the mixing with cannabis. You would have the best idea by reflecting on past experience with the two and potency of the weed.

i think that the onset has the potential, as far as subjective experience goes, to create an effect that is more noticable and robust than a slightly higher dose administered/absorbed slowly. So despite the fact that you might have higher blood levels with oral, you might notice more and feel more of an effect from insufflated. I personally find that insufflating or smoking are clearly most effective for me, tho pyrolyzing a tablet is fraught with all kinds of "you really shouldn't do thats" and i dont recommend it at all. but the handfull of times that i threw it into a blunt, sometimes with some ketamine(!)...(again, don't pyrolize), i was hit by the ativan immediately and noticably, but i don't recommend that particular cancer sandwich. I would also like to add that my wife gets those teeny tiny white dots that are too small to have print on them. so that shoud be taken into acount even if you ignore my warnings. but stick to nasal, sublingual, or plugging.

people vary with benzo sensitivity quite wildly; with oral lorazepam i would start at 1mg. it won't do a lot in my experience but it should slightly even you out.

alprazolam is noticeably more potent; 1mg is definitely going to be enjoyable with cannabis.

ymmv

Thank you for the replies. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys but it's much appreciated. I'm going to ask my primary to up my dose to at least 1 or 2mg daily. I'm going to stay away from snorting benzos for now on as under the tongue has always worked best for me. Thanks again.