• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Football NFL Offseason Thread---> 2019 NFL Draft and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAF would be ok with better QB play.

I am so happy for Nick Foles 4 year 88 million with 50 million guaranteed. Dude earned it. I really didn't think he would get that much guaranteed money. Especially not since it seemed like Jacksonville was the only landing spot he had. I think he is going to ball out. I bet you money Eagles are going to regret letting him go. I don't have much faith in Wentz but hopefully I am wrong

Holy shit!

Odell to Browns for 2019 overall 17th pick...third round pick...and safety Jabrill Peppers.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Giants are receiving the No. 17 overall pick in the 2019 draft, a third-rounder this year and safety Jabrill Peppers.

Although Beckham's off-field antics often generated unwanted headlines for the Giants, they appeared willing to look past those issues because of his on-field success.

The 26-year-old LSU product recorded 390 catches for 5,476 yards and 44 touchdowns across 59 appearances after the franchise selected him with the 12th overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. He tallied at least 90 receptions, 1,300 yards and 10 scores in each of his first three seasons.

His 2017 campaign came to a premature end in October when he suffered a fractured ankle. He also missed the final four games in 2018 because of a quad injury.

Tensions between the sides really began to rise in March 2018.

That's when Giants co-owner John Mara caused the trade winds to start blowing when he refused to say whether Beckham would be with the team for the 2018 season, per Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.

"I can't answer that one way or another," Mara said. "We're certainly not shopping him if that's what you're asking. But again, when you're coming off a season where you're 3-13 and played as poorly as we played, I wouldn't say that anybody is untouchable."

Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported Beckham would "not set foot on a field without a new contract extension" despite the Giants previously exercising the fifth-year option in his rookie deal for 2018.

While the sides ultimately agreed to a five-year, $95 million contract extension in August, the front office still decided to move him via trade within the first year of the deal. Now trying to replace one of the league's most explosive playmakers will be an uphill battle.

Beckham should immediately take over as the Browns' top target. He'll join a promising receiving corps that also features Jarvis Landry, Antonio Callaway and Rashard Higgins.

No one is probably happier about the development than Baker Mayfield, who showed signs of improvement throughout his rookie year and now has a true No. 1 wideout at his disposal in OBJ

all I can say is I'm glad NYG took Gettleman off our hands LMAO

Maybe Browns year! What’s messed up is Beckham fractured ankle was against the Browns. Beckham said it was bittersweet going to the Browns!

The Browns ceiling next season is REALLY high...Baker, OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt...

jesus! I definitely can't wait to watch what happens

bell gets 4/52.5/35. steelers offered him 5/70/33.

i guess he was holding out for the super bowl ring opportunity with the jets :)

alasdair

i just checked the odds to win the afc - kc is first at 7/2, then pats at 15/4 then the browns at 8/1!

alasdair

I'll believe in the Browns winning when it happens. It's not as simple as just accumulating talent

I'll believe in the Browns winning when it happens. It's not as simple as just accumulating talent

youre right...but there were glimpses of something great last season. Cohesion. Leadership. Now with these additions it could be the extra spark they need. Baker already owns that lockeroom, it's more than just an accumulation of talent at this point.

So Mathews and Perry are out Za?Darius Smith is in. This should make a major positive change. Should free up Daniels double coverage a bit and get some much needed pressure.

Adrian Amos is picked up at safety. Durable and we have been having injury issues at safety for a bit.

and Billy Turner. Depth and he is pretty good.

Pack should shave down points against and fire up takeaways. Pass rusher in draft is not a must now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rs-make-pass-interference-noncalls-reviewable

Owners make pass interference, non-calls reviewable

Jeremy Bergman
The NFL owners voted on Tuesday evening to approve a rule proposal that allows for offensive and defensive pass interference, including non-calls, to be subject to review.

Coaches can challenge those calls in the first 28 minutes of each half. In the final two minutes of each half, those calls will be subject to a booth review.

This rule change is only for the 2019 season.

Owners passed the provision, 31-1, at the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix on Tuesday night. The Cincinnati Bengals were the lone team to vote against pass interference replay reviews, sources told NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.
Coaches will still have only two challenge flags.

This decision comes a day after New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton said that the competition committee agreed to an amended rule-change proposal (6B), in which coaches would be allowed to challenge offensive and defensive pass interference even if there was no flag on the play. The rule change that passed on Tuesday night is considered 6C.

The reviewability of pass interference calls and non-calls came to the forefront after the NFC Championship Game in January, when Los Angeles Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman hit Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis early on a third-down play late in the fourth quarter. No penalty was called on the play. The Rams went on to win the game and make the Super Bowl.

The aftermath prompted outrage from Saints fans, coaches and brass, including owner Gayle Benson, who went as far to release a statement on the non-call.

On Tuesday night, Benson celebrated the rule change.

"This is what I wanted to happen. That's why I made my statement," Benson told reporters, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport "[The non-call in the NFC title game] will never happen again."

"We think it was a good change," Payton told reporters. "We're trying to address the two fouls that most impact games. ... The last three years coaches are being a little bit more judicious with their challenges. I think that will continue especially the minor fact that you now have a more meaningful play you can challenge.

"South of two minutes it's in replay's hands, but north of two minutes it's in your hands. I think it won't take back the way we watch a game. I just think it's just two more calls."

The one-year rule change wasn't just about pleasing the aggrieved Saints. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters that it was important that teams came to a consensus on expanding replay review.

"I personally believe it was the fact that every club wanted to get, and the league wanted to get these plays right," Goodell said at a press conference immediately following the vote. "Replay is to get it right. And ultimately people compromised, I think, on long-held views because they want to get the system right. They want to get the play right."

The mandate delivered by ownership to approve this expansion of replay review comes as a surprise. As early as the start of the Annual League Meeting, approving review of pass interference calls was considered a "non-starter" on the competition committee, Rapoport reported.

Coaches were reportedly the driving force behind a deeper consideration of the rule proposal, namely Payton, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Chiefs coach Andy Reid. The latter two reportedly advocated for extending a meeting between coaches and the competition committee on Monday evening to consider and then amend the original proposal.

"Replay has an important tool for us. It wasn't able to correct something we wanted to have corrected in the past. That to me was the driving force at the end of the day," Goodell said. "Our job is to get these right and we should use every available means to get them right. Replay is a great means to be able to do that.

"Will this solve every problem? Will this get us to perfect? It's the old saying, right? Don't let perfect get in the way of better. This is a very natural evolution and obviously a very positive thing."

29 DAYS
Until NFL Draft

162 DAYS
Until the Regular Season

I'm actually against reviewing penalties. Bad calls are just part of the game. Plus the games are too long anyway.

18 Days until the draft.

151 Days until the start of the regular season.

CHARLOTTE – Wide receiver Chris Hogan, a Super Bowl winner twice in his three seasons with the Patriots, has signed a one-year contract with the Panthers.
An unrestricted free agent, the 6-foot-1, 210-pounder has been a productive pass catcher in the AFC East for the past five seasons. A versatile receiver who can play outside and in the slot, Hogan and DeSean Jackson tied for the NFL lead in 2016 with 17.9 yards per reception.

Undrafted out of Monmouth University in 2011, Hogan has 194 catches for 2,610 yards and 18 touchdowns in his career. Since 2016, he ranks second in the NFL with 542 postseason receiving yards and is tied for first with four receiving touchdowns.

Hogan caught 35 passes for 532 yards and three touchdowns in 2018 – comparable to his numbers in New England the previous two years and his final two years in Buffalo before that - but it took him awhile to establish himself. He was a surprise star in 2012 when the Dolphins were featured on the HBO series “Hard Knocks,” earning the nickname “7-Eleven” for always being open. But that was his third team in his second NFL season, and it wouldn’t be until 2013 with the Bills that he played in his first regular season game and made his first catch.
Since catching 10 balls that season, he was rarely a focal point but was always a factor in Buffalo and New England. Beginning with the 2014 season, he has averaged 37 catches for 503 yards a year, never catching fewer than 34 balls for fewer than 426 yards.

Fuckin yes. Finally.
This gone be our year! ?

Packers schedule looks alright. I think it looks a little easier then we have been getting and I like the teams we are playing more. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.