Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marijuana's Unexpected Effect on Sperm Count Revealed in Harvard Study

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Marijuana's Unexpected Effect on Sperm Count Revealed in Harvard Study
By Yasmin Tayag on February 5, 2019

There?s plenty of research showing that marijuana can improve things in the bedroom, but it?s not as clear whether it has the same effect in your pants. Studies about the effect of marijuana use on sperm count have had mixed results, at best. Guys who smoke weed, however, can take comfort in the findings of a large study published by Harvard University scientists on Tuesday. The sperm of marijuana smokers, it seems, is alright. Maybe even more than alright.

As the research team writes in the Human Reproduction study, the men who had smoked one or two joints of marijuana at least once in their lifetimes had a sperm count and concentration that was significantly higher than that of people who had never smoked marijuana in their lives, which is generally a good thing for a man?s fertility. More intense marijuana users also appeared to have higher levels of the sex hormone testosterone as well.

Cont https://www.inverse.com/article/53055-marijuana-increased-sperm-count-in-harvard-study

Feiby Nassan said:
An equally plausible interpretation is that our findings could reflect the fact that men with higher testosterone levels are more likely to engage in risk-seeking behaviors, including smoking marijuana.

That seems like the most likely scenario. That, or some other external factor. That said, the study does strongly suggest that infrequent cannabis use doesn't hurt sperm count and that even heavy cannabis use doesn't lower testosterone levels.

I watched a youTube video suggesting that cannabis use does lower testosterone levels but as to how much? I haven't been able to find any conclusive answers at known sources.

I remember this (or some form of the research) from a couple decades ago... maybe that's why I never had chirrens.... Been smokin' since six or seven I reckon.

Edit: Also pot can raise female estrogen in the male body. no citations

My late husband, a long term heavy weed user, was insanely fertile.