• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Depression post heroin recovery

caliope

Greenlighter
I weaned off opiates very slowly with loperamide over 6 months. Then I felt awesome, almost manic for a few months, and now I feel like I took a bunch of muscle relaxers or something every day. I?m super relaxed, don?t have a care in the world and no ambition. I got very into boxing during the manic phase, and now it?s extremely hard to conjure up the same drive, and I feel too relaxed and docile to do it anymore. Maybe it?s a season affective disorder or something / a winter thing... anyone else experience this?

Depression after opioid recovery is very common, it's called post acute withdrawal syndrome.

However, I must say that doesn't quite sound like what you describe. You say you might be depressed, but what you've described sounds more like apathy than depression.

Lack of ambition can be a symptom of PAWS in itself though, so yes it could well be related. Unfortunately the best thing to help with it is time.

But no, you're not alone in this at all. Many others have encountered similar experiences.

And while I don't know that it has a name, the mania you describe is something I've seen in a lot of people in the first few weeks or months after withdrawal ends.