Seligiline for gently boosting motivation

Oh yeah I agree entirely but thats sort of a moot point at the end of the day since theres nothing that can realistically be done about it. At this point its just mitigation for many people

Try this in your coffee:

mct-oil-1000-mg-180-softgels_1_g.jpeg

This product contains just the essential 8 and 10 carbon oils not 6 or 12 which are not needed..

Has anybody here actually used selegiline for depression? I want to get my mother on it for her treatment resistant major depression, and i've read good things, but they were all from people online that used the patch. The patch is really freaking expensive, esp for a drug thats been around for 20 years. even with my mothers insurance its unaffordable, her insurance is maxed out on the other 15 freaking pills she needs to take. So i'm wondering if anyone has experience with actual antidepressant doses of the tablet for some time frame, and if i could get some feedback it would help. thanks

It's not really as effective as more potent MAOIs like phenelzine or tranylcypromine (which also have a higher risk of interactions), but from collated patient ratings, it's still one of the top 5 common antidepressants:

prescription_table.png

(source)

Thank you for the above info man. much appreciated. from the reports i read, almost all the people on the patch that write thier experiences in to places like webmd were raving about it. but the pill's delivery can make for a very different experience i guess. i should just crush up a bunch of pills, add some DMSO, and slap it on my mother. Yeah! i figured it out. here goes nothing...

Kidding or not, I'm not sure how effective DMSO would actually be at pulling seligiline through the skin, or doing so in a time-controlled fashion. Most delivery systems use several methods to achieve desired pharmacokinetic parameters. It's possible and relatively easy to take frequent small doses orally though.

yeah, exactly. a constant 24 hour delivery at a consistant rate is not that easy to achieve i'd think

I wish immigrating countries was a realistic way to boost motivation and productivity but obviously isnt realistic for most people.

Personally Ive used MCT oil extensively but cant say Ive noticed much from it in terms of energy, motivation, or mental focus.

OP is talking extreme work which generally needs more extreme measures for motivation. I have yet to see anyone be able to grind through 18 hour days for months or years on end without use of pharmaceutical stimulants but, when you want something badly enough you find a way to get it done. If a healthy lifestyle and diet is enough for you Genetic Freak - mad props and definitely jealous as you?re one of the extreme outliers. Would make my pharm/med school friends jealous too haha.

Kinda like wanting to step on a pro untested stage and never use more than HRT...would be great but unlikely

I wish immigrating countries was a realistic way to boost motivation and productivity but obviously isnt realistic for most people.

Personally Ive used MCT oil extensively but cant say Ive noticed much from it in terms of energy, motivation, or mental focus.

OP is talking extreme work which generally needs more extreme measures for motivation. I have yet to see anyone be able to grind through 18 hour days for months or years on end without use of pharmaceutical stimulants but, when you want something badly enough you find a way to get it done. If a healthy lifestyle and diet is enough for you Genetic Freak - mad props and definitely jealous as you?re one of the extreme outliers. Would make my pharm/med school friends jealous too haha.

Kinda like wanting to step on a pro untested stage and never use more than HRT...would be great but unlikely

You are aware how unhealthy lack of sleep is.. To be honest stims taken in conjunction with sleep deprivation would make a very unhealthy combination..

Oh, very. I do a pretty good job of getting 7 hours regularly which isnt in the realm of sleep deprivation at all but, like I said, Ive got dozens of friends in medical or STEM based grad programs and have never heard any of them say it?s easy or healthy.

An old timer friend of mine who is a surgeon and 49 told us about the stuff they used to do to them back in the day which is now illegal (48 hours on, 8 hours off for residency). Gotta pay to play though, otherwise we wouldnt have doctors

Oh, very. I do a pretty good job of getting 7 hours regularly which isnt in the realm of sleep deprivation at all but, like I said, Ive got dozens of friends in medical or STEM based grad programs and have never heard any of them say it?s easy or healthy.

An old timer friend of mine who is a surgeon and 49 told us about the stuff they used to do to them back in the day which is now illegal (48 hours on, 8 hours off for residency). Gotta pay to play though, otherwise we wouldnt have doctors

Do we need them..?

Do we need them..?

Probably debatable but I sure like having them around :)

That and Im changing from pharmacy school to med school because I like self punishment apparently so Id at least like to have a job when I graduate haha

Last edited:
OP is talking extreme work which generally needs more extreme measures for motivation. I have yet to see anyone be able to grind through 18 hour days for months or years on end without use of pharmaceutical stimulants but, when you want something badly enough you find a way to get it done.

Yeah, exactly. I'm only speaking for myself here and trying hard not to enter the realm of generalizations but I find doing an 8h shift working for someone, essentially helping them achieve their goals and fulfill ambitions, to be hard enough. Don't get me wrong, I get to the end of the day feeling just fine physically and good, as well as eager, to engage in my daily half-hour of exercise. Although not a bodybuilder myself and my only interests being healthy living, life extension and cognitive performance, my nutrition is excellent and heavily influenced by bodybuilding diets; I eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and stick to mostly a 40/40/20 proportion of protein, carbs and fat, respectively. It is true, and it could also be said common sense too, that a balanced diet based on empirical evidence, and small frequent meals taken at the right times during the day, do help attain sustained energy levels that carry one throughout the day. There's also the very positive effect on hormonal homeostasis, that all important factor involved in mood regulation. But I wasn't complaining of a lack of energy, low/depressive moods or what have you.

I do believe that those who want something badly enough, do find a way to get it done. In a way this hurts on a personal level because, although I believe in the plan I laid out and in my own abilities, I struggle as fuck to "get it done". Twice now I embarked on a crazy experience as outlined in my OP and on both occasions I got worn emotionally as time went by, which slowly but surely translated into psychological defeat, and eventually produced a proverbial white flag; the dreaded capitulation. BUT, give me modafinil minus the tolerance build-up and the crippling anxiety, and I'm a fucking motivated machine. Time flies. Stuff gets done blazingly fast with no compromise on quality. Belief grows, which translates into positivity, which feeds on itself like an avalanche of bliss. Then, of course, sooner rather than later Modafinil reminds you of its bipolar traits and hits you with a fucking sledgehammer, waking you up to reality because, I guess, there's no free lunch with stims. In my experience, stims giveth but taketh with a vengeance.

None of this probably makes much sense. I certainly feel like the area where I'm lacking and need help with isn't related to nutrition, healthy sleep habits, or generally speaking, healthy living.

Probably debatable but I sure like having them around :)

That and Im changing from pharmacy school to med school because I like self punishment apparently so Id at least like to have a job when I graduate haha

Orthopedic, spinal, and emergency trauma, Yes.. But GP's that only seem to think as far as statins, diabetes meds, SSRI's, benzo's, and antibiotics, probably not..

Wise move dumping pharmacy it doesn't work..

Orthopedic, spinal, and emergency trauma, Yes.. But GP's that only seem to think as far as statins, diabetes meds, SSRI's, benzo's, and antibiotics, probably not..

Wise move dumping pharmacy it doesn't work..

Ah probably a matter of opinion but agree to disagree. We wouldnt have a lot of great things without pharm research but I think I will personally be more fulfilled and be able to have a greater positive impact with med and hopefully change some of those mindsets you mentioned.

Longgg way to go though still. Trying to figure out the most sustainable stimulant use myself to be able to grind through the next few years

Ah probably a matter of opinion but agree to disagree. We wouldn't have a lot of great things without pharm research but I think I will personally be more fulfilled and be able to have a greater positive impact with med and hopefully change some of those mindsets you mentioned.

Long way to go though still. Trying to figure out the most sustainable stimulant use myself to be able to grind through the next few years

How did I know that would be your response..lol

Pharmacology doesn't work..!! Unless its for acute pain relief.. (morphine, fentanyl, ketamine)...

I'm disillusioned with emergency medical care at the moment, I'm sick of getting called out to patients with medical conditions where it's mostly their own bloody fault.. The majority of medical issues can be negated with better lifestyle choices.. (diet and exercise)...

You don't need stimulants you need will power and proper nutrition.. (read "Headstrong" by Dave Asprey)....

^ I don't think it makes sense to say that pharmacology just flat out "doesn't work"... I mean, pharmacy and pharmacology are part of medicine, and there is a wealth of scientific research documenting the efficacy of all the meds you mentioned, ie, benzos, SSRIs, stimulants... antibiotics. Really, antibiotics don't work??

I'm assuming you must have meant something more abstract, like "pharmacy doesn't work to make lasting positive changes to your mindset and your life, and it's often not the best option even in the short term", which is probably debatable but might well be true, otherwise you've really lost me here.

It's probably relevant also that Dave Asprey used modafinil every day for 8 years. It's debatable if he "needed" this of course, and it doesn't necessarily discredit any non-pharmacy-oriented ideas that he presented... but I think it's telling that a fairly well known advocate of increased productivity through nutrition and lifestyle actually did use a smart drug daily (again - for 8 years!) to build up his business, and probably to help himself learn whatever he needed to learn about himself and about the world so that he (apparently) no longer needs it.

Honestly I don't personally think nutrition is enough in some cases - because lack of willpower and motivation can often be attributed to pathologies which either originate from or end up inducing some kind of organic brain dysfunction which may not be reversible with nutrition alone. You might reasonably argue that we have a tendency to pathologise a lot of things in Western culture unnecessarily, and that combined with the fact that the majority of people just don't understand nutrition well enough to know what they need to do to heal themselves, this might indicate that for the MAJORITY, nutrition should be enough... but to just flat out dismiss pharmaceutical aids for everyone, I think that is a leap of reasoning which does not hold up under scrutiny.

Also - not to get too deep into a slightly tangential topic here ;) - compared to nutrition, which is a tangible entity, I think it's problematic to say that what someone NEEDS rather than stimulants is "willpower", because if someone is lacking in this it's often very unclear how to get more of it, and it's fairly unclear how much control we actually have over the amount of innate willpower we have anyway.

Last edited:
^Shit. Well said, sir.

I will say that I get it - western medicine is even more royally fucked than I would think you even know unless youve practiced here. I talk about that very fact with healthcare friends daily.

Obviously pharmacology works but its often the first line of defense when it shouldnt be. However the issue is, frequently, more in the mindset of the patient (I need X or Im getting a new doctor) and the doctors are then all victim to the cultural thought process.

Personally, Id consider all supplements, herbs, and pharmaceuticals to be drugs though since the definition of a drug is..

Drug: a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

Pharmacology is the study of the origin, structure uses, pharmacokinetics, and toxicology of anything that falls into that category. I very much plan on using natural medicine along with diet and exercise to treat conditions in patients who are willing. Those who arent...we try to help how we can and, although I have personal opinions that maybe we shouldnt help them, Ill leave that debate for another day.

^ I don't think it makes sense to say that pharmacology just flat out "doesn't work"... I mean, pharmacy and pharmacology are part of medicine, and there is a wealth of scientific research documenting the efficacy of all the meds you mentioned, ie, benzos, SSRIs, stimulants... antibiotics. Really, antibiotics don't work??

I will answer this one point: I strongly believe if we create a healthy gut microbiome, via nutrition and healthy lifestyle practices, it will look after us..

The ecosystem we create will, I believe displace any harmful species of bacteria, negating the need for antibacterial agents..

Only when we interfere with that ecosystem displacing the balance, do we allow invading bacteria a foothold, thus creating a problem..

When we introduce antibacterials, we decimate that ecosystem, creating more of long term problem.. (It can take up to 2 years to repopulate our gut after one course of antibacterials..)

I won't disagree with that entirely but surely it's conceivable that someone with perfect nutrition habits would still catch some kind of bacterial infection that their body is just not equipped to deal with, and they need antibiotics to recover from? I mean I don't believe that human gut bacteria have the potential to become an indomitable defense for any kind of exogenous pathogen, even if, in perfect balance, they might be a solid defence from MOST exogenous pathogens.

I wouldn't dispute that nutrition is of understated importance in today's world. If you have a moment is there any chance you could give a brief summary of what kind of food a typical day would include for you? :) I know that probably everyone will have slightly different nutritional requirements but I'm just very curious now what you're eating, basically, that is as or more effective than any pharmacological aid.

I don't ask this with any intention to try to debunk it just in case it sounds that way (maybe unnecessary to say but am coming down from a cathinone so feeling a bit edgy 8), kind of ironic given the topic under discussion I guess), and I don't have enough knowledge about nutrition even if I wanted to. Just genuinely curious.

I won't disagree with that entirely but surely it's conceivable that someone with perfect nutrition habits would still catch some kind of bacterial infection that their body is just not equipped to deal with, and they need antibiotics to recover from? I mean I don't believe that human gut bacteria have the potential to become an indomitable defense for any kind of exogenous pathogen, even if, in perfect balance, they might be a solid defence from MOST exogenous pathogens.

I wouldn't dispute that nutrition is of understated importance in today's world. If you have a moment is there any chance you could give a brief summary of what kind of food a typical day would include for you? :) I know that probably everyone will have slightly different nutritional requirements but I'm just very curious now what you're eating, basically, that is as or more effective than any pharmacological aid.

I don't ask this with any intention to try to debunk it just in case it sounds that way (maybe unnecessary to say but am coming down from a cathinone so feeling a bit edgy 8), kind of ironic given the topic under discussion I guess), and I don't have enough knowledge about nutrition even if I wanted to. Just genuinely curious.

A typical day 7pm - 10am fast (water only), weekend fast till 1pm or later..

10:00 am Green/black olives, avocado, parmesan cheese, organic NZ cheese, chicken (organic, free range, antibiotic free) onion, flaxseed oil, macadamia oil, garden herbs.. Macadamias, walnut, almonds, pecans, brazils, blackberries, cacao nibs, ginger, nutmeg..

1pm Chicken, garden salad lettuce, spinach, kale, sauerkraut, raddish, beetroot, mung beans, onion, Macadamias, almonds, pecans, brazils, blackberries, mango, cacao nibs, ginger, coconut yogurt.

7pm Meat or fish, liver, kidney, mushroom, onion, garlick, celery, silverbeet, spinach, broccoli, sprouts, turmeric, black pepper, himalayan salt, garden herbs, sage, thyme, celery seeds, oregano, collagen bone broth, gelatin, oats, blueberries..

Mostly organic, NZ, or my home grown, no packets, no refined sugar, no processed food.. Seasonal mixed fruit n veg where appropriate..