• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codiene poisoning

Ibis

Bluelighter
I normally can take 100mg of oxycodone at once, did so for a week out of every month for four years. Havent had any in a fee months. Got my hands on 60mg codiene tablets today. After reading the equivalents i thought id have no problem taking 10 (600mg)
Later i read something about 500mg to 1000mg being fatal range.
If the equivalent oxy strength will not kill me do i need to be concerned?
Is there something about codiene that is just "poisonous"
I mean, ill know here in a couple of hours anyway but the guy at poison control was useless.
Im 6ft 240lbs with said tolerance.

You still should be concerned about this big of a codeine dose. Codeine seems to have a greater histamine release than semi synthetics like oxy so you may find that with that big of a codeine dose you get effects that mimic an allergic reaction.

I would start with a lower dose, considering you also haven't had any oxy in months so your tolerance is also going to be way down.

Codeine isn't poisonous. It's dangerous to do 600mg if you don't have a tolerance.

If you don't take opiates regularly your tolerance isn't gonna be super high so next time start with a more reasonable dosage. Some heroin users can get up to crazy dosages but even they could potentially OD on very high dosages of codeine if they stop doing heroin and any other opiate for a while.

Do you take 100mg of oxycodone at once once in a while and you're ok? If that's the case then 600mg of codeine is ok I'd say.

Anyway for a regular heroin user 600mg would be nothing to take, even 1000... The fatal range is based on not having a tolerance from recreational usage of opiates.

Last edited:
It should be noted that a significant minority of people are allergic to codeine. If you've never had codeine before, you don't know if you're one or not, so even current heroin addicts shouldn't jump in with a big dose until they've confirmed they aren't allergic. I forget the symptoms of the allergies, but someone who's severely allergic to codeine might go through anaphylaxis (unable to breath) with such a large dose (I think, I might be wrong but it's better to be safe).

Also Codeine has a low ceiling dose. Codeine doesn't get you high, the morphine it is converted into does. So depending on your enzymes, (which you don't know,) 200mg of codeine might be the same as taking 600mg at once besides maybe a longer high? I'm sure you're fine, but be careful with things like this in the future, ask before you take the drugs.

Also, importantly, opiate tolerance ramps up, but also back down quickly, meaning it doesn't matter that you could take high doses of opiates 4 months ago. If you haven't used any in that time your tolerance will literally reset to 0 or close to it. Your tolerance will ramp back up quickly, but the first few doses of any opiate, after a period of abstinence is one of the bigger reasons for overdoses and deaths. You can't just jump back to where you were or you're risking your life big time. That said, assuming you're not allergic, I'm sure you're safe, but always be wary of a new drug you've never had, even if it's weaker than what you were taking. And relapse (or whatever you want to call it) is one of the biggest danger periods for an opiate death, since your tolerance will have dropped much more than you realize, even if it's only been a week or 2 of abstinence your tolerance can reset to 0.

Finally, I hope your codeine didn't have Tylenol in it, perhaps you already know this, but Tylenol poisoning can kill before an opiate does, but can be separated very easily with a cold water extraction (CWE), anyone taking something mixed with Tylenol needs to look this up and do it, otherwise you could have the worst, most painful 3 days of your life, before you die (seriously, unless you get treatment soon, ideally before 12 hours, after 24 it may be too late for you.)

I guess I'm parroting the posts above me, just try to be a little more controlled and find the answers FIRST, before you take a drug. Peace, be careful.

I normally take about 120mgs of Oxycodone a day.. but I ran out of my script early and a friend gave me some T3s (Tylenol with codeine) I took 4 of them without a second thought and 25 minutes later I had broken out in hives, my scalp was itching like crazy, my face was bright red felt like it was burning.. that was an hour ago.. now the rash is going away the itching stopped but holy shit.. I had a full blown panic attack thinking I was about to die. I?ve taken codiene before but rarely and never had a reaction like this.. I have 20 pills left but I?m to scared to take them again and I still have a week before I can fill my regular script.. ugh.. oh well I?m just glad this ordeal wasn?t worse.. please be careful

I took 210mg of codeine once (before I had an opioid habit) and I got the worst burning and itching of my life. I was bleeding all over where I couldn't stop writing at my skin. My face swelled right up too. At one point my blood pressure was aound 36/24.

Givin the I'd be very careful how much you take and start out low.

You weight over twice as much as me so you can probably take at least twice what I can but codeine is NASTY in overdose. Stay safe.