• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Suboxone Doctors

Bfox13

Greenlighter
I need to find a sub doctor and get a prescription to get me off my opiate habit. I can?t go to treatment due to my job but I have no clue how it works. How much is the doctors appointment? Are there multiple appointments? Where can I find a doctor? Any other questions I left out that I should take into perspective? How much is the prescription? If anyone has any ACCURATE information or can help please let me know !!!

My doctor was 150 a month cash. Then whatever the sub cost at the pharmacy. Just search Google for sub doctors in your area.

Maintenance saved my life so I'm a big proponent of it

Oh boy. I went through 14 months of suboxone treatment before my last relapse. The drama of suboxone doctors is familiar territory to me...

I'm not sure how much an appointment is going to cost you. That's going to depend on your insurance, tbh. My appointments were not very expensive, but I was working at the time and had good insurance through my employer. The suboxone itself is more expensive, but with insurance (my insurance, again, not sure what yours is like) it cost about $100 a month and then my first doctor gave me a reusable discount card that brought it down to $25. But every single time I went to the pharmacy to pick them up, they tried to over-charge me and I had to argue with them. You get no respect in the medical world as a suboxone patient, just warning you now, haha.

Finding a doctor is somewhat hard, but you should be able to just do a google search for doctors in your area, or search through your insurance's website. I'm not sure how it works in other states, but in Michigan, there are a limited number of doctors who are allowed to prescribe subs, and each of those doctors can only have a certain number of patients. Meaning it's much harder to find a sub doc than it is to find something like a family doctor. Another option might be to make an appointment with a primary care doctor, if you have one, and ask them if they can refer you? Once you get established with a sub doc, they see you every month or so to refill your script. My first doc did appointments every month for three months and then every three months after that. The second doc I had did appointments every month. Both did drug screens at every appointment, asked me if I was going to meetings, asked how my cravings were, etc. That's kind of the general deal.

Be careful with suboxone. It worked REALLY well for me for my first six months on it, but after that I felt like it ended up keeping me in the opiate cycle and making my cravings worse over time. I never got high on suboxone, but I started abusing it anyway. Not really sure why. I guess just because I'm a fucking junkie and it's a fucking opiate. But that became an issue because then I was craving suboxone every morning when I woke up, the same way I used to dope. I was prescribed 24 mg a day, which is a huge dose (My second doctor was shady asf.), and I ended up taking anywhere from 32-40 mg a day. So then I was withdrawing any time I was late getting my script, I was craving harder opiates constantly and I ended up just going cold turkey off the subs for two days so that I could get high, then going out and banging a bunch of h. Long story short - In my personal experience, subs worked great in the short term, but in the long term they were a clusterfuck. Everyone is different, though, so they could work great for you. For many people I know, subs have been a lifesaver! Especially because of the fact that they eliminate the option of impulsive relapse. That alone is extremely helpful, or at least was to me.

Another word of advice: spit and don't swallow. It works just as well and the taste is way more tolerable if you're not swallowing the stuff. Subs taste like the devil himself if the devil were a lime-flavored orange.

Good luck, friend! And seriously, kudos to you getting clean. I just got clean a couple of months ago. You're in good company. :)

Yeah good point on the dose Someone. You really don't need more then 8mg a day. Any more then that and your just digging a deeper hole for yourself to eventually climb out of.

So I?ve been on suboxone for a couple years now; spent 10 years prior to that strung out on pills, in and out of jail and eventually prison. Suboxone has absolutely been a life saver for me. However, I?ve never had insurance so couldn?t afford the upfront cost of a doctor visit plus the prescription. It?s always been cheaper/easier for me to buy it off the street from the couple reliable people I deal with. I end up spending 75-100 bucks a week which has always been manageable. However I?ve just recently acquired health insurance benefits through my wife?s work. And the process of finding a doctor that even ACCEPTS insurance has been a nightmare, and the couple I?ve found that do aren?t taking new patients. Does anyone know of a database or anything that could point me in the right direction? There are about a thousand ?in network? primary care physicians on my Insurance?s website, but when I search for sub certified doctors I get nothing. So I?ve been calling random sub doctors from google to see if one- they even take insurance for drug addiction treatment and two-my particular insurance falls in that category. It may be that I just have to keep pounding the pavement until I find a doctor but any insight would be welcome. I?ve been thinking about going to my wife?s primary care doctor and asking him to point me in the right direction, however I know some doctors are adamantly opposed to ?replacement? treatment like sub and methadone. Again, any insight would be very much appreciated.

I've never found one in network. Most are cash and carry these days.

I procured Suboxone two ways: The first was through my Community Services Board clinic (also our neighborhood Methadone clinic). They have a Sub program that is sliding scale fee based.
The second, was through a private doctor. The initial visit since I had no insurance, was $250. That covered my first week of meds. He gave me a discount prescription card that shaved alot of money
off the cost of the script. Each week after that initial visit was going to cost me an additional $100. At the time, I couldn't afford to keep up my heroin habit AND go see him. Choices were made.

Bottom line: Its all profit making. Profit making off of others' misery. I despise the entire industry. But that is for another thread%)