Bluelight

Thread: Interview-based study on sex and drugs (University of London)

1. Collapse Details
    Interview-based study on sex and drugs (University of London) 
    Hello Bluelighters,

My name is Ben Mechen and I am a researcher with a project funded by the Wellcome Trust and based at Royal Holloway, University of London. The project is called 'Pharmacosexuality: The Past, Present and Future of Sex on Drugs'. Our website is here. Please take a look!

At its core, the project is interested in how and why people use psychoactive drugs to enhance, or in some cases curb, sexual performance, function, pleasure and desires.

We are currently recruiting for interviews with people of all genders who have had sex while on drugs, or who have taken drugs while in sexual contexts. We are interested in speaking to people who combine sex and drugs proactively or with planning, and those who combine them more accidentally or spontaneously. For the purposes of this study, we are particularly interested in drugs other than alcohol and tobacco.

The interview includes questions on things like:

? Your motivations for using drugs in sexual contexts
    ? The types of drugs used and ways in which they are consumed for sex
    ? How pleasure (and other feelings) can be experienced through ?drugged sex?
    ? The extent to which drugs can change or transform sexual encounters

Our project is based in London and we are conducting in-person interviews there. However, we are also conducting interviews via Skype with people elsewhere in the UK and around the world. If you are interested in talking to us, please get in touch! I can be contacted at [email protected].

Interviews generally last about an hour and we are paying interviewees ?10 GBP for their time.

The other members of the project are Alex Dymock and Leah Moyle. They will also be conducting interviews.

Participation in the study is completely confidential and all data collected will be anonymized in any publications or presentations that arise from the project. Participants can withdraw their data at any time without giving a reason.

The project has received approval from the Royal Holloway, University of London Ethics Committee. We have sent a financial token of support to Bluelight in advance of this post.

Thanks for reading!

Ben Mechen
    Research Associate
    Royal Holloway, University of London

2. Collapse Details

Performance Enhancing Drugs
    Hello Ben, interesting study. You should probably consider clarifying your definition of 'sex' for drugs users though.

Do you intend it to exclusively mean sexual intercourse with another (or multiple) person(s)?

Or does your definition include masturbation (ie autoeroticism), which is probably the dominant category in this context?

3. Collapse Details

Hi CFC. Thanks for the excellent question!

To clarify: we are interested in all kinds of sexual activity, including masturbation.

4. Collapse Details

Hi there, I live in California, USA and I was wondering if you are still looking for participants? Also, you mentioned compensation of 10 GBP...? Which is roughly $12.94 US dollars correct?
    Thank you!

5. Collapse Details

Hello, i too am interested but am in Australia. I could participate over Skype, im guessing the compensation amount would be approx $18 aud. Please let me know how i can be involved too.

6. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    I am interested and have extensive experience in this with multiple substances.

7. Collapse Details

Hi, I would like to participate for the "Sex Interview" and I just attempted to Email [email protected]. from my @Hotmail.com Email Address but it did not work any idea why? Can you Private Message Me the required detailed information to get signed up for the study please?

8. Collapse Details

Can this be a sex and drug thread?

9. Collapse Details

yes !

10. Collapse Details

Germany mostly, US sometimes, Australia every now and then
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas29 View Post
    Hi, I would like to participate for the "Sex Interview" and I just attempted to Email [email protected]. from my @Hotmail.com Email Address but it did not work any idea why? Can you Private Message Me the required detailed information to get signed up for the study please?
    Did the email bounce back or did you just not get a reply? I emailed him almost immediately after he first posted weeks ago & was told the study was full for now but he'd put me on a waiting list. And I said I'd do it for free. So most likely he's overwhelmed by responses. Paid drug studies fill up really fast.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by albert j garcia View Post
    yes !
    There you have it.
    This thread is a vacuum and needs to be filled or closed.
    I think weed is a great aphrodisiac. It makes all my senses sharper and I feel everything.
    Although there has been no official answer to the question... guess we shall see if visuals are allowed if there is one forthcoming?
    Welcome, albert.
    Maybe we can create an uprising and get our heads busted.