Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Why Crystal Meth Has Made a Big Comeback in Philadelphia

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Why Crystal Meth Has Made a Big Comeback in Philadelphia
Christopher Moraff
Filter
January 22nd, 2019

"Meth! Meth, crystal. Who wants meth?" shouted a middle-aged man in a parka earlier this month. He had situated himself on an alcove overlooking a small side street next to "Emerald City"--a busy drug-user encampment in Philadelphia's East Kensington section.

Across the street a small cluster of men and women sat on a low wall, huddled against the cold, preparing shots of fentanyl-laced heroin or smoking "hard"--the street name here for crack cocaine. After a few moments, a young woman lifted her head quizzically.

"Crystal meth? I'd like to try it."

"Try it?" the man said. "You can try it if you buy it."

A year ago this exchange would have been inconceivable on the streets of Kensington--even though they have echoed for decades with the shouts of dealers hawking branded heroin and almost every other mood-altering drug, from PCP (or "wet") to prescription pills.

Read the full story here.

He was shouting!? Where the hell are the cops? I'd be so afraid to buy from someone who was public shouting and advertising he had crystal.

He was shouting!? Where the hell are the cops? I'd be so afraid to buy from someone who was public shouting and advertising he had crystal.

Dude it's crazy. I've been there before and copped. It's just like a scene out of The Wire. Drug dealers on every corner. You hand one guy the money then walk to another guy for the drugs

They do it here too.... the other guy usually thier kid, or some kinda family.... I've been handed meth and shit by 12-13 year old kids.... makes me sad.

The open air markets are wild to me. It's an experience that a large part of the USA's drug-using population will never experience (i.e. people who live in rural areas & most cities). It's always interested me how these areas are often the focus of intense survelliance by LEO yet manage to operate in such a public fashion, i.e. yelling "meth! Get yer meth here!"

Well then it should be immediately apparent that the cops are born into and will die in the middle class of society. They care not to stoop down to "our" level. I'm not well-to-do as an individual so I'm grouped into the people that are just discarded by society.

Again, just my opinions, not trying to darken any moods.

I hope you are more well-off than me by the time you make it to this age. Never stop believing in your potential as an individual.

Oh and you want to know what? I think I know why little kids aren't dealing crystal meth out here; it's because at that age they're more innocent and are smoking pot so they have other things to have as a focus.

I've only met a few people who were using heroin or methamphetamine as children in this part of the world (i.e. adults I run into who tell me that they were doing 'this' at age 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13...); I think the abundant marijuana supply and culture, legislation etc. helps prevent an early onset for meth/heroin abuse.

Mind you i didn't say it was kids dealing it, its dad/uncle/big bro selling.... kids get used as runners until they're old enough to have their own corner.

One of my former neighbors started doing meth when he was 12

His parents were meth dealers though

(That happened in Bubba-land USA, though, vastly different drug world compared to a place like Philly)

Last edited by a moderator: