• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Are most people homeless because of drug use?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
It's probably my mother just being "safe than sorry" but she always says that most people her friend knows that works with in a homeless shelter have been kicked out due to drugs by their family and/or dropped out of high school/have a degree but can't work.

I definitely know how addiction can run someone over the edge but I do actually wonder how true this is since I know people who do coke, meth, benzos in my university 3 times a week and are average to intelligent.

Someone told me that most people in Ireland who are homeless are "travellers" and have social problems besides drug use (not trying to sound arrogant but that's what I've heard and to be honest, I've never heard of any middle class kids my age being kicked out despite asking the people I talk to in my school).

What's the truth?

I think a lot of homelessness involves drug addiction that has led to the inability to function in any "normal" way in life, such as intense heroin addiction or alcoholism, where it becomes impossible to not spend all of your money on drugs or keep a job. But I think at least as much comes from mental illness which produces the same net effect. And a lot of the time the two go hand in hand - there is a mental illness, and drug addiction results from attempts to self-medicate. However, the vast majority of drug users manage to function well enough to not be homeless, and plenty of them thrive (for example I own my home and have for 11 years, I have a well-paying job I excel at and live a comfortable life, but I was addicted to opiates for 10 years and I've had various other drug overuse problems since then). I will definitely say that other than weed and psychedelics, my drug use has had a net negative effect on my life - I'd have more money and probably be farther along and have less problems if I hadn't used other drugs. But I still have a good life I'm happy with. My opiate addiction almost destroyed me and I would probably be dead now if I hadn't finally quit. Certain hard drugs have a much higher probability of landing you in a life-ruining situation.

I think that's an unfair generalization, and one largely made on assumptions of what we as a society think drug addicts look like(unkempt, tattered clothing, mangey hair, bad teeth, erratic behavior). Really, if you remove modern conveniences like hot showers, laundry, ability to store food, and secure place to sleep, most everyone will start looking like that. Physical and mental health for anyone would start to decline, and the more vulnerable would have a harder time recovering. And not just genetically vulnerable- those who have fewer social resources(family, friends, community) will have a much harder time pulling themselves up.

For many, it is a hole they have fallen in and cannot get out of it on their own- and there isn't always help available. It's an uncomfortable reality that most above the poverty line would choose to ignore or can't fathom. Much easier to cast off societal problems onto this class of impoverished people, with a line of thinking along the lines "they made decisions(drugs and not working) and now they must accept their fate(homelessness)". But people who come from wealthy families don't become homeless(at least not for very long) because of drug use- it's only the poor who become homeless because of drug use.

The truth is that it's a much more complex social problem than it is an individual problem. Inevitably it becomes about lack of resource for people who are looking for help, and then the criminalization of homelessness and mental illness. If you ever spend some time in a local jail you'll probably quickly realize that most everyone in there isn't a bad person- maybe guilty of acting foolish in desperate times, but not bad people. A lot of jails serve as holding cells for mental hospitals. And yes, when you start looking at specific types of homeless populations, like those involved in the criminal system, drug use becomes a prevalent factor. But it's a false equivocation to take that observation on a specific subset and apply it to all. There are homeless who do not drink or use drugs, and some who only use minimally(less than a lot of middle class americans), and some who binge(usually end up in jail/prison).

My point is, drug addiction isn't the biggest factor to homelessness. It may be a common factor, but even if it is common among all it would be overlooking the common financial and social situations that are truly causing the homelessness. I'd imagine most people on this website can imagine if a few specific family members were to die of a freak accident/illness, a few others lose their jobs and houses, and either you or a family member or two might be pretty close to living in their car if not on the streets. Take all the fires in CA for example- the death of family, loss of property and housing, and loss of job could happen to some literally overnight. We have resources and people actively trying to prevent massive homelessness, yet even still some will be less prepared than others.

I agree with Mafioso.

I live in a homeless shelter for the mentally disabled, so maybe my perception in skewed, but many people become homeless because of underlying mental health issues. Even the guys over at the local shelters, most have mental health issues or just have family, work or other health related issues that lead them to lose housing.

Sure, about 25% of the 20 guys in my shelter use drugs, and have no teeth, but the vast majority don't. Other shelters are probably different, but I think far more people start using drugs once homeless than the other way around.

It's probably my mother just being "safe than sorry" but she always says that most people her friend knows that works with in a homeless shelter have been kicked out due to drugs by their family and/or dropped out of high school/have a degree but can't work.

I definitely know how addiction can run someone over the edge but I do actually wonder how true this is since I know people who do coke, meth, benzos in my university 3 times a week and are average to intelligent.

Someone told me that most people in Ireland who are homeless are "travellers" and have social problems besides drug use (not trying to sound arrogant but that's what I've heard and to be honest, I've never heard of any middle class kids my age being kicked out despite asking the people I talk to in my school).

What's the truth?

The truth is you need to read more and not be a clown.

I don't think OP was being a clown by asking a question. Thinking homelessness is caused by drug addiction is a pretty common misconception. In fact, I'd argue it's held by a majority of US citizens. Largely what makes my opinion informed is that I've done volunteer work for homeless when I was in high school, watched a ton of documentaries about homeless over the years, and then met a lot of chronic homeless people while in jail. It's easy to assume when you lack understanding, no reason to beat people up for not understanding.

I agree more with Shadowmeister, but also with the points Mafioso made.

Shadowmeister post, by my perception, is the overview and how it begins. Mafioso's post got very in depth and covered all bases.

I absolutely was homeless a couple of times due to my drug use and either running out of money or not being able to pay for everything. Everything being a bundle of dope a day $150.00 (that's with delivery charge), the rent, utilities, phones, food and all other living expenses.

Or, being homeless because of getting thrown out because of drug use.

The problem with my drug use is I always run out of money. Always. I'm unable to keep my use (IV heroin), to "just the weekend" or "just today". It's been like a domino effect of losing one thing after another after I use. Shoot dope =continue to shoot dope until I'm out of money. That is knocking the first domino down for me. The destruction ensues after I make the decision to do that first bag.

Indeed mental health is also an issue. I had undiagnosed and untreated Bipolar 2, for a long time. And most, if not all the women I was locked up with had mental/emotional issues.

OP, your question has been thoroughly answered lol. It's a complex situation for sure.

EDIT***

I wasn't ever dirty when I was homeless. I took a shower everyday at the community center. You wouldn't have known I was homeless if I didn't tell you. And I was living in the park. Not a shelter. It was hell.

EDIT***

I wasn't ever dirty when I was homeless. I took a shower everyday at the community center. You wouldn't have known I was homeless if I didn't tell you. And I was living in the park. Not a shelter. It was hell.

Do you live in the States?

One of my buddies says that he get into a good college course, did drugs and was kicked out but was always able to find jobs. I wonder if educational opportunities are also a thing.

A 2008 review in PLoS Medicine looked at a number of studies of homeless people in Western countries and, pooling the results of these studies, proposed that 28% to 48% of homeless people are dependent on alcohol and that 13% to 36% are dependent on other drugs. Now, this doesn't tell us anything about causality: whether the people became homeless because of drug problems, acquired drug addictions subsequent to becoming homeless, both acquired drug addictions and became homeless because of underlying mental illness, etc.