• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Avocadopear

Avocadopear

Bluelighter
Hi,
Still not got to grips with this site. Not getting notifications etc, is it better to use the website on a pc?
So I?ve been addicted to codeine for the last 2 years and has lead on to me buying dihydrocodeine via the internet over the last few months. I?m taking on average 20 dihydrocodeine tablets a day. I?m very scared and worried as I?ve not been able to stop taking them so have confided in my doctor and a few days ago phoned a substance misuse help place. I have an assessment coming up. Any help or advice or ideas what to expect from this point forward? Thanks.

The assessment will determine what level of care they think you need. Probably inpatient. If you go in patient they will offer a quick Suboxone taper most likely and load you up on other comfort meds.

Sorry the site does work better on PC. We are in the process of working on a big upgrade so things will be much better very soon

Thanks for the replies. I?ll try using the website on my pc later.
That?s really scary the thought of going inpatient. Is the amount I?m on considered very bad then? I can?t beleive I?ve got myself in this situation. I?m so worried. I have young kids that I look after and my partner doesn?t know about my addiction.

Even if you're not on PC, the site works better in fulls site mode, not the mobile version. There's a thread in Support where you can switch it.

Well they push people to inpatient because it pays them more. But you probably do need a medical taper so I would recommend you go and get of it as comfortable as possible.

No idea where to post on this site.

Can someone point me in the direction of somewhere I can talk about quitting codeine/dihydrocodeine and the fact I need to tell my partner about this. As I?m seeking help.0 I?m so fucking scared. But so excited at the thought of getting this out of my system and living a normal life again. Thanks in advance.

Hey there, just go to the thread you already started in the sober & healthy living forum here

You can talk about it right here.

Your family probably knows something is going on with you. So getting it all out in the open with a plan to deal with it will likely go over pretty well.

You should be excited. You have a chance to get your life back on track

Good morning :)
Today?s the day I?m going to the clinic to get an assessment. Feeling a bit nervous/excited/emotional/hopeful.

Thank you to those who?ve replied. ?
I just wondered is there an active thread anyone could point me towards? Just really looking for some support.

i'm in the uk.

what to expect from UK drug services: i've only interacted with one drug service run by cgl no idea how it varies between providers. i had a massive assessment. not just drug use, but like your history of drug use including how you actually take each one, i had to rate all the drugs i've been addicted to in order and they didn't have enough boxes lol. then any history of trauma, your current legal status i.e. are you in shit with the police, what other risk behaviour your in, pertinent medial problems, housing issues, finance issues, it was very comprehensive. if you've ever injected they'll offer you a hep b vaccine, i got a flu vaccine free too but i don't know if that is offered throughout or cos i was in such a bad state.

they'll likely offer you maintenance therapy. i never took opiate replacement cos i only know people who've got double habits on it, i.e. they were double fucked cos they used on top every day, don't do that! a fast taper is a lot less painful than cold turkey, but they from people i know who've had ORT they're unlikely to recommend that.

as well as drugs they'll offer group therapy and 1-1 sessions with a key worker. my key worker is great, really knowledgeable and practical.

its very unlikely you'd get into an NHS funded rehab. when i lived in west yorkshire there were 6 funded places for the whole county per year. there was probably more than 6 people who needed rehab within 50m of my house. if you do get in you'll be waiting for years.

is it 30mg DHCs per day? if so that's not actually too bad my ex was prescribed 15 a day instead of methadone cos he had a soft dr and he was able to taper them to half that in a week with no pain after years and a lot of gear on top (though intermittently).

i hope that's useful.

I hope things went well at the clinic?

I'd love to hear all about it, I'm excited for you, you'll be much happier and far better off once things are back on track.

Here for you anytime,
your friend,
Ash.

Good morning :)
Today?s the day I?m going to the clinic to get an assessment. Feeling a bit nervous/excited/emotional/hopeful.

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I?ve not logged in for a while. That?s really useful everything you said chin-up and very reassuring to hear that kind of level of DHC can be reduced so quickly. It is 30mg tablets that I?m taking each day. The online doctors / pharmacy?s that sell the stuff are ridiculous and shocking, praying on addicted people to make a lot of money as it?s not bloody cheap to buy online.
I had my assessment which was a lot of questions and form filling. Now I?m just waiting to hear back about the best plan of action for me to come off the tablets completely, it sounds like they offer emotional support as well which I think is much needed. I have a constant feeling of nervousness and anxiety at the moment I hope they will get back to me soon as until I?m told what I need to do I?m still taking a lot of tablets daily.
I haven?t told my partner yet but I have a feeling this will be something they will need me to do. I?m mortified at the thought of this conversation and feel so ashamed of where I am now. I?ve used the drugs to manage my depression and over the past 5 months I?ve spiralled from taking around 10 codeine tablets per day to then purchasing dihydrocodeine online, realising how good and happy it made me feel to now taking between 20-30 DHC?s daily as well as codeine which I?m prescribed for previous back pain on top. But I do feel better knowing that I?m actively doing something about this dark secret which no one knows about.

Last edited:
One thing I really struggle with when cutting down on the tablets is the exhaustion, achiness, tiredness etc which is one of the reasons I?ve started taking more and now as the tablets give me energy and allow me to get things done. It makes it so difficult to get on with life and with having 2 young children it?s just not an option to lay in bed and recover. :( Any hints and tips on how to deal with this?

that's all withdrawal symptoms. can you cut out even like one pill a day, stabilise, cut another? i know nothing about tapering cos i've only ever rattled when i couldn't use. i've occasionally planned to taper and done what was supposed to get me all the way through in a day or 2, but other people on here might be able to suggest a schedule.

or is there somewhere you can go to rattle?

2 young children is all the more reason to stop, even if it means you can't be with them a few days its better than not getting it under control and it escalating further. you aren't emotionally there and they will pick up on it. i've only started realising how completely oblivious i've been during my addiction, even when i thought i wasn't, since i came into recovery.

emotional support is definitely needed to help prevent relapse once you're clean. if the drug services don't get back soon chase them up, did they not give you a timetable of the groups they offer so you have somewhere to go int he meantime?

I know what you mean about low energy. All I could do (safely) was drink a lot of coffee-- but I always drank a lot anyway so that didn't really help much. Loperamide helps most opiate addicts but with your gastrointestinal issues I don't know. Of course there are OTC pain meds but if you're like me they do little to nothing. There is really no easy way to taper. Time is your best friend.

Know that you will survive this and feel much better in the long run. Good luck.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you." -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Hi again and thank you for the replies. I?ve just been feeling a bit in limbo and unsure of what will happen but I?ve finally had a call back from the substance place and they?ve allocated me a worker who I have an appointment with next week. Still not sure what will happen next though, I?ve been thinking about it a lot and I?m really hoping that I can do a quick taper with something to ease the withdrawals like what?s been mentioned as I find the slow taper too prolonged and find that?s when I?ve ended up taking more than ever before! Even if it means me staying away from my partner and kids for a week to recover I?ve come to terms with the fact that I will probably have to tell my partner about this. Scary for me to admit to him but not as scary as the thought of being on these drugs for much longer. I?m a mess I really wish for the drugs to be out if my system for good!
Thanks again please keep commenting if you can. I really appreciate the support. Especially as I?ve kept this a secret from everyone in real life so have no one to turn to.