Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australia - NSW Greens MP Cate Faehrmann: it's time get real about pill testing

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
I'm 'coming out' about drugs: it's time get real about pill testing
Cate Faehrmann
The Sydney Morning Herald
January 21st, 2019

I remember vividly the first time I took MDMA. I was with friends at a club in Brisbane in the early 90s. We danced all night to house music, talked nonsense with strangers, deep and meaningfully with each other. A month or so later we did it again. And again.

As a university student I lived in share houses where the marijuana plants growing in the backyard were better cared for than the rest of us. I went out with a DJ for a few years so clubbing on weekends became standard fare.

As a politician I've made the difficult decision to "come out" in this way because the government's zero-tolerance approach to drugs has not only been a catastrophic failure in stopping drug use, it is costing people their lives. It is so out-of-touch with millions of people's reality that everyone has stopped listening.

Young people are not fools. They want us, as politicians, to "get real" about illegal drugs. Their parents want us to stop the moral crusade and listen to the evidence.

This means being honest about the nature and extent of drug use and accepting the evidence that a harm minimisation approach, where illegal drug use is treated as a health issue not a criminal one, works.

Read the full story here.