• ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

alasdairm

Bluelight Crew
Halt and Catch Fire

MV5BMTczNjAyMDg1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQyNTA2OTE@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Set in the 1980s, this series dramatizes the personal computing boom through the eyes of a visionary, an engineer and a prodigy whose innovations directly confront the corporate behemoths of the time. Their personal and professional partnership will be challenged by greed and ego while charting the changing culture in Texas' Silicon Prairie.

i just started season 3 and really enjoying it. i worked in high tech in the lead up to, and in the heart of, the bubble-burst in silicon valley at the end of the 90s and the early 2000s. this series is set prior to that but the atmosphere and feel are familiar.

the ensemble cast is great and season 2 was better than season 1 and that trajectory seems set to continue with season 3.

anybody else watching?

alasdair

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, alasdair, I watched it when if first ran. It's one of those shows I watch alone because my wife doesn't "get" it. I've been in high tech my whole life.

hehe ...

later ;)

yeah, we've probably both worked with people similar to many of the people in that show :)

alasdair

I was undecided on whether I wanted to check it out. Is it worth watching if you know nothing of the tech industry?

sure, i don't see why not. you could always watch a couple of episodes and see what you think.

alasdair

i just watched s03e08 which contained this quote from ryan after the tragic event:

ryan said:
Contrary to what you might have heard, my friends, you are not safe.
Safety is a story.
It's something we teach our children so they can sleep at night, but we know it's not real.
Beware, baffled humans.
Beware of false prophets who will sell you a fake future, of bad teachers, corrupt leaders and dirty corporations.
Beware of cops and robbers the kind that rob your dreams.
But most of all, beware of each other, because everything's about to change.
The world is going to crack wide open.
There's something on the horizon.
A massive connectivity.
The barriers between us will disappear, and we're not ready.
We'll hurt each other in new ways.
We'll sell and be sold.
We'll expose our most tender selves, only to be mocked and destroyed.
We'll be so vulnerable, and we'll pay the price.
We won't be able to pretend that we can protect ourselves anymore.
It's a huge danger, a gigantic risk, but it's worth it.
If only we can learn to take care of each other.
Then this awesome, destructive new connection won't isolate us.
It won't leave us in the end so totally alone.

goose bump stuff...

alasdair

did you end up watching it cj?

i got distracted after s3 but came back this week and just finished s4. it was outstanding.

alasdair

Just finished episode 4. This show is fantastic! I'm glad I started watching.

alasdairm,

Is "virtual reality" our new reality? Can you illuminate our base 2 computer generated reality to a technology knowledge scantily laden amateur like me?

i think, as with most things, it depends.

virtual reality has effectively no place in my life here, now. reality is my reality.

alasdair

thanks for cluing me into this show, I really enjoyed it and that's saying something because I bail out on almost every series. I'm actually surprised this wasn't cancelled, first season was a bit of a drag but it really came together well and the characters were just so damn great