• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Has anyone tried Cerebrolysin??

shouldvestayedhome

Bluelighter
So I've been struggling with "MDMA"/Research Chemical induced brain damage. I was a light user until I went on a weekend binge consuming the equivalent of 2 high strength pills over two days.

I have been having functional and behavioral deficits ever since. Symptoms include

Depression, anxiety, chronic insomnia, hyper aggression, cognitive problems, and an assorted amount of memory issues... just to name a few.

I have tried moving on with my life but these symptoms hinder my progress to learn and thrive. Forcing me to look up ways to remedy my situation.

This has led me to research Cerebrolysin has anyone taken this to help heal a drug abused brain?

Any thoughts?

Note: I know it is foolish to take advice from strangers about taking an injectable compound but I did street drugs and that's as foolish as you're going to get lol

I have no experience with Cerebrolysin specifically, but you should be aware there are a huge range of other nootropics you could try that can be administered orally and that more people will have used.

If you do decide to go ahead with Cerebrolysin however, you should be aware you do not need to inject it - it is apparently possible to make it into a nasal spray:https://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/64974-cerebrolysin-nasal-spray/

Not sure if you are already experienced with needles or not - if you are, perhaps injection is just not a big deal to you and hopefully you already know about harm reduction practices in relation to injection. Generally speaking though a method of administration not involving a needle is always going to be the safer option.

Finally - not to minimise your symptoms, but what you describe is hardly a binge. You did one pill per day, for a grand total of 2 days... How long has it been since this "binge"? If less than 2 weeks, you should consider that what you are experiencing is likely quite normal even if as a self described "light user" it is not familiar to you. Not that cerebrolysin might not be beneficial in some way, but this should be something you consider after all the usual non-chemical psychological housekeeping is taken care of - ie, diet, exercise, meditation, positive habits, mentally stimulating activities...

Finally - not to minimise your symptoms, but what you describe is hardly a binge. You did one pill per day, for a grand total of 2 days... How long has it been since this "binge"? If less than 2 weeks, you should consider that what you are experiencing is likely quite normal even if as a self described "light user" it is not familiar to you.

This. And even if it's been longer, I wouldn't jump to actual neurotoxicity as the cause of your symptoms.

Do not underestimate the nocebo effect - it is far, far more likely that the worries brought on by a week-end of partying on MDMA triggered a depressive episode, which could explain all of your symptoms. If what was probably less than half a gram of MDMA ingested over the course of two-days was enough to fry someone's brain, *a lot* of people in the EDM scene would basically be vegetables.

I would very, very, very strongly advise against injecting or otherwise ingesting Cerebrolysin you bought over the net. We are talking about a substance that is litterally made from pig brains. If you've ever heard of conditions like Scrapie, Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease, Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, Kuru or other prion diseases, then you'll probably agree with me that getting undigested mammalian brain proteins into your bloodstream is a very risky proposition. Even with the most well-proven anti-dementia drugs, there is generally relatively little evidence of major cognitive benefits; when you're not an elderly person with very little left to lose, the potential risk-to-benefits-ratio shifts even further.

Plus, we're not talking about a product made following extremely stringent American or EU safety standards for pharmaceuticals, but something sold by a shady online pharmacy / nootropics vendor.

IMO you would have a better chance of finding relief by getting on an antidepressant like lexapro, and just generally trying to work on your sleep schedule, social environment, diet (etc.) and minimizing your drug intake.

Honestly, I think there is a good chance that your brain is not damaged at all. MDMA is not neurotoxic, and even if it was a research chemical, there is still a good chance that it actually did not cause any brain damage. There have been times where I thought that I "damaged my brain", when I did not cause even the slightest amount of damage. What worked for me during the times that this happened, I found that doing things that reduced my anxiety were all that was needed. And in the end, I was simply freaking out over nothing.

The first time that this happened was following a bad experience with a large dose of LSD taken in an
extremely bad setting. Not just a "sketchy people around" kind of bad setting. But what basically would have been essentially a horror show even without the acid (e.g. this girl I knew suddenly starts self harming right in front of everyone and somehow managed to get nearly all my friends to start burning her simply because she told them to). And with it...? fuck. Indescribably horrible. For like a week after that experience, I seriously believed that my brain was completely and utterly fried.

Yet it wasn't. Not in the least. In fact, I actually was mentally sharper after the experience than before. Yet for that week, I thought I not only did some damage. But literally broke my brain. And was ultimately better off.

In fact, I have even tripped again after the experience. Not on acid, as I prefer mushrooms and other natural psychedelics anyways. That's just me though. But no brain damage, not in the slightest. In fact, I truly believe that the experience ultimately enhanced my cognition. And once I got past the anxiety, I'm 110% sure that I actually became a more intelligent person as a result of the experience. Not sure how that was possible, but it definitely seemed to be the case.

Then, there was once as a teenager that I messed around with inhalants...?. very, very stupid idea. And yes, unlike LSD, inhalants actually can damage brain cells and can even kill you. Inhalants can be
highly neurotoxic. I felt "stupid" for quite a while. But then I realized I was just convincing myself I was stupider. Because after I did it, I was worried I messed up my brain. And began to see that in things that I did and said. And began to act differently as a result. Started sitting around watching "stupid" TV shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Povich.

Yet later on, I realized that the reason why I felt "stupid" was not because I damaged my brain in reality but because I psychologically conditioned myself to think I got "stupid" and began adopting "stupid" behaviors (e.g. not doing anything mentally enriching whatsoever and spending all my time watching trashy shows). After I realized that and stopped worrying about brain damage, I was 100% my normal self. Can't say that I was any brighter after this experience and admittedly using inhalants was an idiotic thing to do, but I continued to get As in school. And generally went back to my usual intelligent self without any problems, as luckily I had not actually damaged my brain. Though, I could have.

What I would advise for you is visiting a doctor about the "brain damage". I did see a doctor after my "bad" experience with acid. And the doctor just asked a few questions, checked my reflexes, a few other things, and determined that my brain was completely normal. It was literally a 20 minute visit. If you are concerned about brain damage, I would definitely encourage you to just see a doctor to determine if your brain damage is even actual brain damage. I'm not saying it's impossible that you have brain damage. But I would not jump to that conclusion unless it was diagnosed medically. So, see a doctor and determine if your brain has been damaged at all before jumping to that conclusion.

Yes, LandsUnknown raises an excellent point about LSD. LSD isn't neurotoxic, yet plenty of people have had mental health issues after a particularly bad trip. Things like irritability, insomnia and diminished focus are common symptoms of such conditions, and will often resolve themselves after making lifestyle changes, seeing a therapist, and/or temporarily undergoing pharmaceutical treatment (as in "treatment supervised by a trained professional").

While I would not completely agree with his claim that MDMA is "not neurotoxic", there's different degrees of neurotoxicity. You obviously shouldn't be doing high doses of MDMA every week-end for years on end, but a single "binge" (which ~400 mg of MDMA over a two-day-period barely qualifies as) is no more going to fry your brain anymore than a single weekend spent getting piss-drunk (alcohol being notoriously harmful to a number of organs) is going to give you cirrhosis of the liver, Wernicke-Korsakoff-syndrome and delirium tremens once you sober up.

He also makes a great point about "conditioning" yourself due to the nocebo effect.

Also, I did some digging and found a thread on Cerebrolysin on Longecity:
https://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/97328-increase-bdnf-by-600-cerebrolysindonepezil/

Cerebrolysin should never be used by anyone unless they are in late stage dementia and the last 5-10 years of their life. It can stimulate neutralizing antibodies that react with endogenous proteins and have counterproductive and damaging behavior in otherwise normal/healthy/younger individuals.

This study is done in 75 yr old patients and this study should not be extrapolated to younger individuals, because the follow-up period is different. The long-term implications of injecting animal proteins from another species into the human body is very problematic. There is a lack of any real long-term data on cerebrolysin in younger humans.

I would encourage you to stop posting about this nonsense cocktail. It's perverse snake oil.
There are something like ~700 foreign proteins in Cerebrolysin, most of which have not been identified. It is a very dirty, unknown cocktail mixture of pig brains. It's literally impossible to know the extent of the immune response and when it will show up in the body. I'm not an immunologist, but you should realize that some people deal with auto-immune/immune problems their entire life whether it manifests in the form of celiac disease or multiple sclerosis.

When the body mounts an immune response to a foreign antigen and forms a b-cell memory to the foreign protein/antigen, the body will have a 'permanent' record and could cross react with healthy, endogenous proteins that otherwise might be important.

You'll note one individual here who had a severe immune response and underwent antigen tolerization therapy to counter the immune response. Others in this forum (ScienceGuy) seem to have severe responses to the substance and I suspect it is the instant immune response to a plethora of foreign proteins being put into the human body.

They're raising another good point about it: Even *if* you could be reasonably sure that your product was free from prions as well as bacterial/viral pathogens, and the product works as intended (i.e. by supplying your brain with various neural growth hormones), it could still prove extremely harmful if your body starts developing an immune response to these peptides (which may very well carry over to your own endogenous neural growth factors).

Heck, for all we know, some of these growth factors could actually be promoting the wrong kind of "neurogenesis", i.e. the growth of brain tumors.

Basically, if even the folks on Longecity are calling something "perverse snakeoil" and telling you to stay away from it, that is a pretty convincing argument to give this stuff a wide berth.

In total I injected about half a litre of Cerebrolysin three years ago with no effect (so far). It only made me a bit sleepy. But it was EU made and I suffer from myalgic encephalomyelitis, so there is not much to be lost. The contammination is always an issue like with eg human immunoglobulins.

its made from pig brains, isnt it? i try to avoid eating pork, but injecting it, thats pushing the limit!

Update:

I decided against Cerebrolysin after reviewing the responses I am listening to reason and not injecting myself with pig brains.

However, I am still struggling with the symptoms that I mentioned before.

2 high strength pills over 2 days is hardly a binge nor enough to produce any sort of per,anemt/lasting damage.

A few things to check:
1. diet: you should aim for 2000-2500 calories/day, lots of protien, both saturated and unsaturated fats,
complex carbs and sugars, also vitamin supplementation if needed (a multivitaminbetween once and three times daily, taken with meals, doesn't hurt either.
2. Exercise: at least 1/2 hour, preferably more, of moving around in the fresb air, this can be anything from a long walk in your neighbourhood to unstructured cardio like jogging or swimming, to team sports.
3. Social activity, interacting with others can help resolve some cases of anhedonia, even if it's as simple as idle chat over a cup of tea.
4. Keep your mind occupied, don't let boredom drive your emotions. Take up a hobby, or even just practice mindfulness/meditation if you have nothing better to do. But don't let boredom take over or you'll undoubtedly feel negatively about it.

As I always say, brain damage is highly unlikely if you retain your capacity for muscular motion, language, and arithmetic/problem solving. People tend to assume the worst when drug use is inbolved, but Occam's razor says it's more likely you are suffering from a temporary upset of your body's equilibrium due to MDMA usage rather than some sort of massive physical damage. As long as you keep the above 3 factors in mind, and focus on making at least one small positive change/activity every day, you should be back to your normal self in no time.

@sekio thanks for the reply! I just realized that failed to mention that the "binge" was just under 23 months ago (June 2017). I have been taking relatively good care of myself. However, I am having significant difficulties with the aforementioned symptoms.

So I've been struggling with "MDMA"/Research Chemical induced brain damage. I was a light user until I went on a weekend binge consuming the equivalent of 2 high strength pills over two days.

I have been having functional and behavioral deficits ever since. Symptoms include

Depression, anxiety, chronic insomnia, hyper aggression, cognitive problems, and an assorted amount of memory issues... just to name a few.

I have tried moving on with my life but these symptoms hinder my progress to learn and thrive. Forcing me to look up ways to remedy my situation.

This has led me to research Cerebrolysin has anyone taken this to help heal a drug abused brain?

Any thoughts?

Note: I know it is foolish to take advice from strangers about taking an injectable compound but I did street drugs and that's as foolish as you're going to get lol
I was in a similar place after even worse binge 2 years ago. I still have mild symptoms (mainly slightly altered vision and worse language processing) but I'm in a much better condition now thanks to Cerebrolysin and NSI-189. Honestly, they saved my studies because back then I was completely unable to study, learn anything, sleep etc. And these two basically saved my life. I can't say enough good things about them... So, if you're still struggling, you've got nothing to lose. Instead of waiting for a miracle, just order some Cerebrolysin and find videos/advice on how to do I.M. injections. Do a cycle of 1-2 months. 10ml 5 days on, 2 days off. Then you should start taking NSI-189 for a couple of weeks at 40-80mg daily. NSI-189 was the one that made the biggest difference in just a few days in my case, especially when it comes to memory and language processing. I really struggled even when writing posts on the Internet or formulating sentences when talking to people until I took it.

I hope you will not listen to the fear mongers above because they don't know what they're talking about. There are about 70 research papers on Cerebrolysin indicating its safety. It's widely used even among infants and small kids with learning deficits, Asperger's and Down's syndrome. I didn't expect any side effects myself either. But of course it's your choice whether you want to put some effort into repairing your brain and improving your life quality effectively in a short time or listen to some random guys repeating bullshit about just 'taking care of yourself and waiting till things get better spontanously on their own'. MDMA brain damage is a real issue and unfortunately the research and knowledge about it is very limited although from what we know it takes years for the brain to regrow serotonin axons that get damaged and sometimes they never regrow completely. However boosting nerve growth factors using nootropics can make a big difference here.

If you have limited access to Cerebrolysin and NSI-189, I suggest trying Semax and BPC-157 as well. Maybe some natural things like Bacopa or Polygala Tenuifolia but they aren't nearly as effective in my opinion.

I wish all the best with your recovery and hope to see a success story from you soon.

2 high strength pills over 2 days is hardly a binge nor enough to produce any sort of per,anemt/lasting damage.

A few things to check:
1. diet: you should aim for 2000-2500 calories/day, lots of protien, both saturated and unsaturated fats,
complex carbs and sugars, also vitamin supplementation if needed (a multivitaminbetween once and three times daily, taken with meals, doesn't hurt either.
2. Exercise: at least 1/2 hour, preferably more, of moving around in the fresb air, this can be anything from a long walk in your neighbourhood to unstructured cardio like jogging or swimming, to team sports.
3. Social activity, interacting with others can help resolve some cases of anhedonia, even if it's as simple as idle chat over a cup of tea.
4. Keep your mind occupied, don't let boredom drive your emotions. Take up a hobby, or even just practice mindfulness/meditation if you have nothing better to do. But don't let boredom take over or you'll undoubtedly feel negatively about it.

As I always say, brain damage is highly unlikely if you retain your capacity for muscular motion, language, and arithmetic/problem solving. People tend to assume the worst when drug use is inbolved, but Occam's razor says it's more likely you are suffering from a temporary upset of your body's equilibrium due to MDMA usage rather than some sort of massive physical damage. As long as you keep the above 3 factors in mind, and focus on making at least one small positive change/activity every day, you should be back to your normal self in no time.
Please don't try to sound like an expert when you clearly aren't one. There are lots of different kinds of brain damage. It doesn't have to necessarily be a 'hole in the brain' or loss of neurones where you lose major brain functions. MDMA damage is one of its own and very difficult to diagnose. You will not notice anything abnormal even in the most precise MRI scan. That's because the only thing that gets damage are specifically AXONS of serotonin neurons which are obviously much too small to be seen in even the most advanced brain scans. And serotonin system on its own is not entirely responsible for any major brain function however its function is essentially 'fine tuning' and refinining the work of different neural circuits. That's why people who haven't experienced this themselves usually speak with disbelief and downplay accounts of people who were unlucky enough to get the MDMA damage. The symptoms are usually really tricky and hard to explain. You are able to perform all basic functions, to speak, to see, to move with all your limbs however your processing of vision, language, your memory and other higher brain functions are mildly to severely affected yet no neurologist nor other specialist can confirm this through any standard tests or scans. I researched the topic for months and experienced everything myself so at least I know what I'm talking about and I just can't stand all these guys suggesting to MDMA-affected people that it's 'all in their head' and their symptoms are imagined/result of anxiety/depression/other bullshit. If you have bad genes (so you are more susceptible) and are in a bad condition, even a small binge of a few hundred mg over 2 days can cause the damage and partially irreversibly obliterate part of your serotonin axons. The exact mechanism isn't 100% known but you can find research papers where they explain how it possibly happens. There is also a research paper showing that after 4 day binge on MDMA monkeys lost a significant portion of their serotonin axons and didn't make a full recovery even after 7 years... So yes, this whole thing is real and unfortunately the symptoms may last years. But let's be optimistic. Most people do recover significantly and I'm sure that 'shouldvestayedhome' can make a huge progress too. He just needs to take the right steps and listen to my advice.

The symptoms are usually really tricky and hard to explain. You are able to perform all basic functions, to speak, to see, to move with all your limbs however your processing of vision, language, your memory and other higher brain functions are mildly to severely affected yet no neurologist nor other specialist can confirm this through any standard tests or scans. [...] even a small binge of a few hundred mg over 2 days can cause the damage and partially irreversibly obliterate part of your serotonin axons.

So is there detectable damage, or isn't there? If there is no measurable deficit from psychometric testing and no physical damage, what's changed between a healhy individual and someone who complains of this Schrodinger's MDMA toxicity?

That's because the only thing that gets damage are specifically AXONS of serotonin neurons which are obviously much too small to be seen in even the most advanced brain scans. And serotonin system on its own is not entirely responsible for any major brain function

And you're calling me uneducated. Serotonin is not responsible for any major brain functions... that's a new one to me. You can definitely measure loss of neural function with fMRI or PET scans even with intact nerves. Most evidence of MDMA toxicity in monkeys (or amphetamine in general) actually shows cell death. Can you provide a citation for some sort of study that demonstrated damage to just the axons of a nerve cell without killing the cell entriely? (I doubt it)

Just because you feel like shit after a M trip doesn't mean your experiences are gospel and all the scientific studies done on the last 50 years are invalid.

Also nice job ressurecting a post from last year!

Electroconvulsive therapy in the treatment of depression in a former ecstasy user.

Abstract
Depression in former ecstasy users may not respond to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) possibly due to damaged serotonergic synapses following long-term heavy ecstasy use. We report findings in a patient suffering from MDMA-induced depression which was refractory to several antidepressive medications including selective noradrenergic reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) and SSRI. An add-on repeated bilateral electroconvulsive therapy (EET) was able to achieve a stable remission of affective and cognitive symptoms with a follow-up of more than 1.5 years.
Add-on ECT could be a treatment option in former ecstasy users with severe depressive disorders that fail to respond to SSRI and/or SNRI. Clinical trials are needed to evaluate further the usefulness of ECT in this patient group.
Keywords
MDMA, ecstasy, depression, 5-HT, neurotoxicity, electroconvulsive therapy
Introduction
MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymetamphetamine), the most prominent substance of the ecstasy group, is selectively neurotoxic to serotonergic axon terminals in animals (Ricaurte et al., 1988. In humans, some but not all studies indicated that long-term heavy ecstasy use can result in serotonergic dysfunction, e.g. reduced brain concentrations of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (McCann et al., 1994) and reduced densities of the presynaptic serotonin reuptake transporters (SERT) (McCann et al., 1998; Thomasius et al., 2003). It is compelling to link these changes to the variety of psychiatric symptoms that many ecstasy users develop after chronic use, even if they became abstinent (Morgan, 2000; Kalant, 2001). The typical combination of symptoms is suggestive of serotoner-gic dysfunction, affecting emotion (depressed mood, anxiety; Morgan, 2000; Verheyden et al., 2003), cognition (disturbed verbal memory and executive functions; Gouzoulis-Mayfrank et al., 2003; Thomasius et al., 2003), behaviour (impulsivity; Morgan, 2000) and vegetative functions (disturbed sleep, sexuality, appetite; Morgan, 2000; Thomasius et al., 2003).
It has been proposed to treat depression in ecstasy users with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (Kalant, 2001). However, it has also been recommended to use selective noradrenergic reuptake inhibitors (SNRI, e.g. reboxetine) in case of a lack of response to SSRI treatment, which may be due to a damaged serotonergic system in ecstasy users (Haddad et al., 2002). However, controlled studies are not available, yet. We present the case of a former heavy ecstasy user with major depressive disorder that was refractory to pharmacological treatment including SSRI and SNRI, but responded well to add-on electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).
Case report
Mr A was a 28-year-old man presenting with depressive symptoms (low mood, loss of interest, anhedonia, reduced energy) and cognitive disturbances (difficulties in reading, inability to concentrate). He also suffered from derealization, metamorphopsia of his nose and ears, strange body sensations, ideas of reference and thought echo (while reading messages on the mobile phone) without delusional character. He was a former heavy ecstasy user in the fifth year of abstinence who had never taken other illicit drugs. Before, he had been using ecstasy for 5 years, with doses increasing from a quarter of a tablet to up to ten pills per weekend. The estimated lifetime dose was 200 to 1000 ecstasy tablets. First symptoms already appeared while taking ecstasy. They increased gradually over the years despite stopping ecstasy use. A year ago, he first sought professional help for depressive symptoms. Citalopram 20 mg once daily was not effective. Medical as well as personal and family psychiatric histories were empty (except for Scheuermann's disease). Physical examination was unremarkable. Contrast enhanced cranial magnetic resonance imaging did not reveal any pathologies. EEG, ECG, laboratory tests (including thyroid parameters, rheumatologic/vasculitis screening, HIV, borrelia burgdorferi and treponema pallidum-antibodies) and cerebrospinal fluid was normal. Toxicology screening was negative. Neuropsychological testing showed impaired sustained and divided attention (as measured by sub-tests from a German test battery on attentional processes; Zimmermann and Fimm, 1994), verbal working memory (Digit Span) as well as deficits in planning and problem solving (Wisconsin Card Sorting Test). Psychopathological ratings yielded the following scores on admission: Clinical Global Impressions (CGI) 5, Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HAMD-21) 32, Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale sum score (BPRS) 59.
A diagnosis of depressive disorder not otherwise specified (DSM-IV-TR 311) was made. The former long-term heavy ecstasy use was considered to be the main aetiological factor so that the diagnostic criteria for major depressive disorder were not met.
Several antidepressive medications failed, despite sufficient duration and plasma levels and rather aggravated the alterations of perception, e.g. citalopram (40 mg daily, plasma level 60 ng/ml, desmethyl-citalopram plasma level 34 ng/ml). Also, venlafaxine XR (225 mg daily) and the combination of bupropion (450 mg daily) and trimipramine (150 mg daily) were not effective, i.e. substances that do not rely on an intact serotonergic system and have a noradrenergic or dopaminergic mechanism of action. Moreover, the SNRI reboxetine was not tolerated by the patient (already 2 mg daily). Antipsychotic treatment with olanzapine (up to 25 mg daily, plasma level 60 ng/ml) or combinations of antidepressants and antipsychotics, e.g. citalopram/olanzapine, fluvoxamine/clozapine as well as venlafaxine XR/risperidone were not successful. Lithium as an augmentation strategy was not considered as there was no partial response on any of the antidepressants, and the clinical course imposed prompt amelioration.
The disorder was considered refractory to medication. Therefore, a series of eight sessions of electroconvulsive therapy was started after written informed consent had been obtained from the patient. The patient was still taking venlafaxin 225 mg and risperidone 2 mg daily. After five ineffective ECT sessions with unilateral stimulation over the right hemisphere three further sessions with bilateral stimulation were performed. Within days, a complete and stable remission of depressive, cognitive and psychotic symptoms was achieved. Rating scales (CGI 2, HAMD-21 8, BPRS 26) and a second neuropsychological testing confirmed improvement to normal. ECT treatment was well tolerated. The patient was discharged from hospital and went to work again. He remained in full remission for the next 1.5 years (follow-up).
Discussion and implications for clinical care
To our knowledge, this is the first report of successful ECT in a former heavy ecstasy user with depression refractory to medication. The symptoms failed to respond to SSRI (as can be expected from the concept of serotonergic neurotoxicity), but also antidepressive strategies bypassing the 5-HT system (such as reboxetine, venlafaxine, bupropion) were not helpful in treating the patient's symptoms.
It is of note however, that ECT was administered as an add-on to a medication that increases noradrenergic neurotransmission (venlafaxine plus risperidone). Despite the failure of reboxetine, this mechanism of action may have contributed to the overall effect; however, venlafaxine without ECT add-on was ineffective despite sufficient dosage and duration, suggesting a specific effect of ECT.
Concerning the possible neuronal mechanism of ECT, recent studies have shown that electroconvulsive seizures (ECS), the animal model for ECT, reduce beta-adrenergic receptors in the hippocampus and the frontal cortex (like some antidepressants), and result in an increase in brain-derived neurotropbic factor (BDNF) in the same brain areas (like MAO-inhibitors, but not SSRI and tricyclic antidepressants; Altar et el., 2003).
Although case studies require cautious interpretation, ECT might be a treatment option in former ecstasy users with severe depressive disorders that fail to respond to SSRI and, in particular, to noradrenergic antidepressants. Clinical trials are recommended to investigate further on the efficacy of add-on ECT or ECT in this patient group. At present, as for other forms of depression, ECT should be considered in MDMA-related depression whenever there was no response on several standard antidepressants and the clinical course is severe or necessitates prompt therapeutic success (see also, e.g. American Psychiatric Association, 2000).

Basically, if even the folks on Longecity are calling something "perverse snakeoil" and telling you to stay away from it, that is a pretty convincing argument to give this stuff a wide berth.
This.

I tend to call electroconvulsive "therapy" snakeoil too. Or, more precisely, a sledgehammer. Try ketamine first, really - imho it's often enough the anesthesia alone and the cramps just do shit and damage.
All these exotic proteins, selank, semax, p25 etc.pp. as long as they are synthetic, go on try it. But I'd never ever take, let alone inject something made out of animal tissue.