• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Tennis S&G Tennis Thread v. Straight Sets

Once I think, even though he claims to hate the surface. It just caters to his dynamic style of play. Is there any other active player that is more physical and athletic than Rafa?

So, anyone else been watching/following this? I love tennis, one of the most 'pure' sports out there. I've been a few times last week, saw Roger Federer play and then checked out Nadal vs Alex De Minaur. Such a great event too, lotsa fun to be had :)

I am shattered that Roger has bowed out, so my support is gonna lie with Nadal or the giant-slayer, Stefanos Tsitsipas. These guys are playing tonight so I am feeling quite divided.

Talk about the Australian Open here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
on a side note what's amazing is the level of tennis older people are able to perform. Its astounding compared to earlier generations.

^Isn't it? These guys just think that smashing the absolute fuck out of the ball is the norm . . . I started watching tennis in the 80's and there was genuine finesse at play; not that it isn't present now, but so much is about power these days. Still, modern tennis is a lot more exciting than old school tennis IMO.

Disappointed that Nadal just choked last night- very unusual for him, it simply was not his night. I expected Novak to win but not that decisively. Of course, one bad night is all it takes. Still, was a great Aus Open, I feel saddened that its ended.

Will be great to see Roger Federer play the French Open again. I think he just doesn't want to lose his ranking, but hey, he deserves another win in France.

i love tennis but missed the oz open. this is a great time for tennis. don't get me wrong - the mcenroe/borg/conners/etc. age was a golden age but these guys are amazing to watch and serena is simply the best ever. i didn't realise this is djokovic's 7th australian open!

for me, roger federer is the greatest to ever play the game. he has power but he has the genius shot-making and finesse of which you speak, swilow. i have a big soft spot for andre agassi - what a returner!

next up is the french - can nadal win his 12th french open? 12th! madness :)

alasdair

I will be following it soon, i like tennis and watching tournaments like this one

Anyone following tennis? Roland Garros now, Djokovic - Nadal tonight!
Wimbledon in a couple weeks ;) good times

Naomi withdrew. That's what I caught here. But she won the Australian womens open. I like her play.

i watch quite a bit still.. my parents are pretty much straight tennis junkies so I grew up with it all the time and they are still hardcore. They are watching all the time and the old man is still at the club playing singles 2 3 times a week 65+. Fkn playing at five am too.. the morning fix.

Exactly :cool:
Tsitsipas chances are low today, first final... and against the Djoker! I wish him luck.

All of a sudden we could have a US Open with Djokovic, Nadal and Federer all at 20 slams

i fell in love today ...

emma.jpg

emma raducanu played the last match of her wimbledon debut. she made it to the fourth round. resigned due to a tummy ache. hope someone is rubbing it for her.

i was so sad seeing raducanu have to go out.

it was awful seeing serena out due to injury, ditto mannarino.

my favourite match so far was williams + kyrgios vs santamaria + krajitek and kyrgios is also out due to injuries, was looking forward to watching more of them.

i really hope we don't have a djokovic/federer final but it seems inevitable.

haven't watched wimbledon for years and its the only time i ever follow tennis but i'm really enjoying it. i hardly know who anyone is cos they're all mostly new but its fun. oh i was gutted to hear coco gauff is out too, her match was while i was working so didn't get to watch.

you guys who are watching wimbledon- who is left in that you're excited about? would be good to know who to look out for.

i highly recommend anyone interest check out the shapovalov match earlier- he knocked murray out in straight sets last friday, and today knocked out a russian who he was very easily matched with. i was supposed to be working but it was too exciting. he gave away too many break points and wasted loads of opportunities but made it just in the nick of time.

now watching federer v hurkacz- i may get my wish of someone else in the final. federer is down 2 set and on 3rd deuce in his first service match of set 3.

Shapo is a beast, love seeing him play, winners galore. Pretty good match up against Novak too, but it's Novak so..... =D

Shapo is a beast, love seeing him play, winners galore. Pretty good match up against Novak too, but it's Novak so..... =D
yeah, he's not gonna get away with that amount of unforced errors against novak.

so i'm not hopeful he'll win but i am hoping djokovic will push him so we can see the best we've seen yet.

it'll probably be in working hours again so glad i work from home so i can at least check out the odd key points/games.

you guys who are watching wimbledon- who is left in that you're excited about? would be good to know who to look out for.
I like playing tennis but not watching it so much. However, since it’s all over the news everywhere here I’ve been following Ash Barty seemingly crush everyone before her. I’d hardly heard of her before Wimbledon. Pretty amazing. Though a lot of the coverage on some channels seems to an emphasis on her being Aboriginal rather than a brilliant tennis player.

I don't watch too much women tennis, everyone seems to also win from everyone, I don't know why that is because there were plenty of extremely dominant players before.

Don't think the Djoker will have much difficulty with Shapo and Berrettini/Hurkacz, that might be 20 (!!!) slams, in-sane. Berrettini probably has the best chance but he's the typical kind of player that Djokovic just cleans up