• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ketamine Gave Me Gastritis (K Cramps, Ulcers)

number22

Bluelighter
Hi everyone, decided on making this post to help anyone else who had my issue.
I abused ketamine for about 6 months or so. I would do about .1 to .3 a day, usually at nighttime. I would always spit the drip out, but I guess it still made its way to my stomach.
The pain began after eating some greasy food one day, then for a week after that the pain kept getting worse. I eventually could not stand up completely straight, and if I walked too fast it would hurt.
Luckily by the time the pain came, I had already stopped using K. I was put on medication because the lining of my stomach was severely inflammed (gastritis). Continued use would have led to ulcers.
I had to completely change my diet, only eating chicken, sourdough bread, and veggie pasta. No snacks, no soda, no candy, nothing.
Finally, one year later my stomach is at 90%. I still have issues but nothing like the beginning.
At the time, ketamine was a lot of fun. It helped with my lonliness. I just wish I knew the consequences. I read about K cramps before, but other people were taking a gram a day. I did not think anything would happen, but it did. So be safe! Definitely only use this substance ONCE in a while! Or not at all xD

Ketamine is pretty rough on internal organs, it can also fuck up your livers bile ducts pretty bad, aside from damage to many other organs and tissues, I think people way underestimate the damage caused by ketamine.

Oh wow, I didn't know about the bile ducts. A Bluelighter named vortech actually died of bile duct cancer last year... he did tons of arylcyclohexamines (ketamine is one, as are all the -PCPs and -PCEs and -PCMs).

Yeah K is no joke.
Did about 2-4g per month for about a year or so.
Sometimes less and sometimes more.

Been off soon 3months and I still have some slight bladder issues.
I also noticed issues with my stomach after a major binge.
However i did IM so i didnt get any drip going down my throat.

I know a guy who's maybe been abusing it for at least around 6-7 years. Last I heard he was working for a guy with a furniture removal company who would pay him most of his wage in bulk ketamine as he was a dealer. I've got no idea how he's still going; the last time I saw him he put himself in a hole when we were going oout for a meal with friends, and spilled a 1/4 ounce all over his matress. I was trying to clean it up so he didn't lose it and he got all aggressive as I scooped it all up, as if I was trying to steal it. He ended up making me very late then disappeared and when I found him said he couldn't come out because "he had stomach issues... but they weren't Ket cramps and it must have been something he ate", whilst suddenly half buckled over in severe pain. He's attempted to rip me off twice and it's only a matter of time, surely, before the ketamine wins. He must have first used it a decade+ ago.

What amazes me is that he still even has any capacity to hole. I've used it pretty sparingly this year but my tolerance instantly increases after the first few lines, to the point it doesn't even work.

I think I'm turning away from ketamine. I still herald it as an afterparty essential, which goes well with pretty much any drug. It was always the mainstay of whatever empathogen or psychedelic I took. But it's vibe has turned dark for me, and it's taken me a long time to accept it. Back in 2012 I was living with a guy who dealt it, so he'd just rack up lines for us every day and it was hard to resist when my girlfriend at the time was always so eager to accept. It started making me so anxious, and I'm unsure my anxiety would have gotten so bad if not for ketamine. It created a kind of perpetual existential disturbance; I can remember spending one day in particular just worrying about the implications of an infinite lives in infinite interances existence.

Ive known a lot of ketamine addicts, and they've all had the Ket cramps but seem otherwise functional. Apparently one friend has actual diagnosed ketamine bladder problems.though, and it's really fucked things up for him. I haven't seen him in a few years so don't know the full extent of his problems, but apparently its pretty damaged.

I've seen people get absolutely fucked on ketamine/dissos in general, it's a sad sight. I love dissociatives and find them to be pretty amazing when used sparingly but some people fall headlong into full-blown fiending addiction for them.

As far as they go, ketamine has got to be one of if not the worst for internal damage with chronic use because of the sheer amount of it used, since it's not very potent. However it does seem that all of the arylcyclohexamines can produce this damage. it's just that the others are more potent so you're ingesting less of them.

^^Yea and with tolerance that rises fast, makes sense why people have problems.

I've always been somewhat weary about k, it's always been a "low dose/end of the night to help me sleep" kind of thing. Only in this past 6months have I used in a little more liberally. And of course after the last time recently I had my first K cramp and made me rethink my use.

I just really despised how it could completely change the vibe of the party. I much prefer the energy and love of MDMA/MDA/LSD over the sedating, disconnected feel that K can bring to a crowd. Don't like being one of only a few people dancing while everyone else sits there.

Ive also known people to have bladder/urinary issues with it.

It's probably best kept at the low dosage just to compliment other experiences.

-GC

Yeah, it's tricky. I don't want to ever come across as judgemental about other people's substance use, but I see so many people in my life using dissociatives (especially ketamine) super casually. This puts me in a funny position. Like opioids, many people can use dissociatives casually in moderation. Unlike opioids (exceping kratom,) most people aren't aware of the risk of addiction and other health consequences. I respect dissociatives and kratom, but have not found a way to communicate to others how I feel their attitudes, attitudes that I feel don't convey appropriate levels of care and respect to na?ve observers.

Like with opiods, it's all fun and games until it's not.

I've been always wondering how John C. Lilly did it

Shadowmeister, I just read vortechs story, he mentions he was diagnosed with primary slcherosing cholangitis in 2008 and that he had no idea what caused that, Ketamine is a mayor cause of cholangitis, its actually the first complication seen in the hepatic system due to its abuse, and the condition itself is a major risk factor for bile duct cancer. He maybe had some predisposition to this but its unlikely he would have ever gotten the cancer without abusing ketamine. It always makes me sad to hear of things like this, at least he seemed to really go all out and enjoy his life the way he wanted to.

Yeah RIP vortech. I don't know how much ketamine he did before MXE came but he did tons of mxe and 3-meo-pcp.

I can recommend milk thistle for helping the liver and kidneys and oregano oil to clear out bacteria from the gut and bladder.
Of course if one doesnt stop or at least cut down on the ketamine to expect improvement.

Remember that ketamine is a bit like nitrous in its abuse profile..
It temporarely hijacks your pleasure centers and makes you crave it.

If I take it more then one day in a row then my mind wants to keep going.
But as time passes i want to use it less and less.
Also i cant hole by snorting it anymore unless ive taken lsd or similar.
So if i dont have insulin syringes around then there is no way im going to just randomly score some ket.

I probably wont touch K unless im at a festival tripping abroad some where..

My next dissio trip will be with dxm sometime in the spring.
I just want my bladder to feel normal first.

Anyone know how dxm is to the bladder/kidneys if one does it like a few times per year?

I don't think DXM hurts the bladder as it's not an arylcyclohexamine... it seems to be something about that class of drugs.

I've had K cramps once and it was a horrible experience. But strangely was it really just this one batch - multiple grams, and I've used too much for sure, but I did this before and afterwards, and never got them again. So either this wasn't really K cramps, or it might be a synthesis impurity which triggers or catalyzes them.

It's also an unsolved question why there are different batches of ketamine with equal purity out there where each and every one might feel very differently, from cold and sterile to warm and fluffy, and it's definitely about the batch and not primarily tolerance.

Remember to keep yourself well hydrated when dissociating, these drugs make you forget about your body's essential needs.

And yeah, I agree to Shadowmeister in that not every dissociative is equally bad to the bladder. I'd say that even MXE / O-PCx are less aggressive than ketamine is, maybe but not solely due to increased potency. And DXM / the -phenidines are different chemical groups that might have completely different physical side effects.

Also with just a few times a year you should be perfectly fine. Ketamine is used as an anesthetic at last and these issues were unknown until massive addiction happened.

^^You just brought up a point that we should all think about...

These K bladder/urinary issues don?t seem as evident when used in a medical setting. I think this could come down to ROA...

In a medical setting we?re likely looking at IV/IM dosing, whereas most recreational users these days like to snort it. For anyone who?s tried multiple ROA?s with this stuff, Ketamine gets progressively more potent as you go from oral > insufflated > IM > IV. I?ve only done snorted and IV, but I?d say IV is 10x more potent than insufflated..

I?m wondering if the highly increased potency from using a needle may offset the bladder issues normally associated with insufflation?

Has anyone gotten issues after using Ketamine infrequently via IM/IV only?

-GC

^^You just brought up a point that we should all think about...

These K bladder/urinary issues don?t seem as evident when used in a medical setting. I think this could come down to ROA...

In a medical setting we?re likely looking at IV/IM dosing, whereas most recreational users these days like to snort it. For anyone who?s tried multiple ROA?s with this stuff, Ketamine gets progressively more potent as you go from oral > insufflated > IM > IV. I?ve only done snorted and IV, but I?d say IV is 10x more potent than insufflated..

I?m wondering if the highly increased potency from using a needle may offset the bladder issues normally associated with insufflation?

Has anyone gotten issues after using Ketamine infrequently via IM/IV only?

-GC

But is it common for someone in a medical settings to be given IV/IM ketamine, for example like this person, everyday for 6 months?

Most drugs it seems its the frequent use of any amount consistently over a long period of time that usually causes the issues. As opposed to going ham on the stuff say once a month. I'm no doctor but I imagine its just that when its so constant your body never has any time to recover in between and shit gets out of hand. Maybe all thats painfully obvious, just a big difference between one massive injection in a medical setting versus taking small bumps everyday for months.

I am quite confident it's primarily from frequency of usage and not from ROA. In a medical setting, there has never been an instance (to my knowledge) of people dosing daily for long periods of time. It's used in a one-off sort of way for anesthesia, or at most a few doses in relatively quick succession for the antidepressant treatment. People getting K bladder damage/cramps/etc are generally using large amounts daily or frequently for long periods of time.

There are a lot of good posts on Bluelight that pertain to this subject. Last year I had to do research for someone I know that was losing his body and mind from ketamine and whatever he was getting in China. I always defended drugs. Psychedelics and the little harm they do. And I use to do that with ketamine many years back. I changed my mind. Oh yeah it is safe. Hilopsilo stated what I had been thinking for years. For a single session and a surgery or two is the conclusion I have these days. Not taking it all the time. The bladder damage is talked about all over bluelight by some pretty intelligent respected members like in this post. Anyone wanting info should search. Every month someone posts of bladder/kidney issues and Bluelight is loaded with info. I would not have know if I had not seen it. I am starting to think Crook is spot on with organ damage and ketamine.

I do find it fascinating. I mean I grew up a druggie. But after a few ketamine trips the first 3 were spectacular. All the rest I just felt like it was hospital drug (a bluelight member said that in another post, name started with an A)and I dumped the rest of the bottle of Ketaset. lol

I will say this was in 1990. I knew people that took it a lot. I mean a lot. And bladder issues were unknown. This seems to be a new phenomenon. It is interesting. But I admit watching a friend who has since stopped but still screwed up gave me the interest. And like Shadowmeister said it is the arylcyclohexamines, and I do think all of them are suspect. Use wisely if at all.

Last edited:
There's also these rumors about O-PCM being a potent antibiotic and some people getting sick symptoms from using it, yet others don't - I've gone through much too much of crystalline pure O-PCM over extended periods of time and didn't get any antibiotic side effects. So I am really, really wondering whether it's about impurities when the big part of what's being consumed as K out there comes from China blackmarket labs and of course the RCs aren't that purified either.. Or if it is truly something about arylcyclohexylamines. I mean, ketamine has been abused for decades. Might be that the issues just went unnoticed before the internet, or that it's about recent surge of illicit backyard synthesis..

So I am moderately educated in the medical arena, but by no means to the level of specialty that many of you folks seem to be. Thank you all for sharing information and experiences, it really helps people like me who are looking for information and harm reduction techniques.

I am curious, as it seems that ketamine will have more and more of a role in treating depression, how exactly the negative effects of the drug manifest and what the variables are in their appearance.

I have been using ketamine as prescribed by a psychiatrist for severe depression and suicidal thoughts post-brain injury for several months. I was on intranasal administration, 20mg twice a day, for probably 5 months. Then seemed to develop a tolerance and increased to 40mg twice a day for two months. At the beginning of the year, insurance changes pushed me over to IM injection, 35mg once a day. I have been on that for just over two weeks, and have found it to be doing a lot more for my depression symptoms, the intranasal only seemed to keep the suicidal thoughts in check. Lately I feel better all around, lifting of the anhedonia and less lethargy.

I knew it had potential to irritate the bladder lining, and I had been told by the doctor that some people develop GI issues over time that may be irreversible. But reading more on here has me a bit more concerned about the pervasiveness of such symptom development, and the addition damage to internal organs like the liver damage mentioned.

I am not terribly familiar with ketamine as a recreational drug, so I don?t know how my dosage compares, and the quality of the medication from pharmacy vs. other avenues, and the ROA.

I would be very curious and appreciative if anyone could shed some light on how the longer-term medical use might compare or the differences in the side-effects to recreational use. No judgment on recreational use, I am a full proponent of educated and responsible use of substances like psychedelics.

I am also a bit curious about the addiction potential here. I always try to be very self-aware and cautious of becoming addicted to any substances. With ketamine, it has literally been a life saver. But it sounds like ketamine has a reputation for being very easy to fall into addiction without being aware of it. Are there any insights that can be shared as to warning signs or what to be watching out for to avoid addiction issues with this drug?

Thank you!