• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Some male spotting

Coffeeshroom

Bluelight Crew
Hey there.

I have a few outdoor plants and its the change of the season where they are starting to show sex and so on. I have on plant I'm a bit worried about as it seems to be leaning more to the male side but im not a 100% sure. The plant has been making white pistols that even has turned darker in color but now there seems like a little oval round formations starting there too. All my other planted are still the process of choosing which way they will go. One plant has actually already started making little buds so she is clearly a female.. Anyhow I'm losing the plot here.

I have some pics I just took this morning, can someone please help me to say if I'm still good and maybe give it another day or two or is it a male in the making

P.s. got the pics up

Last edited:
nyd9pf.jpg
nyd9pf.jpg
H
2ep1pbl.jpg
L
nfiqe8.jpg

L
122lut3.jpg

L
4qnfb8.jpg

L
1zp1e12.jpg

L
2ijpyxi.jpg

Last edited:
...likely hermaphrodite

I started thinking the same, I'm gonna take it to my mates house.. Flower it further and just harvest the seeds...

But thanks for the input so far, I will keep you guys updated with what's happening

Much love
Your Coffeetonian

yeah looks hermie but kind of hard to say for sure cuz it looks like you have nute problems or something else causing necrosis.

yeah looks hermie but kind of hard to say for sure cuz it looks like you have nute problems or something else causing necrosis.
Okay sweet. I have 10 outdoor plants and only one has started forming buds.. The rest are still slow so to speak for showing sex and two started looking like the pics I posted. I will see what the rest do but the two thats questionable I'm taking to a mates house today just in case.

Much love
Your Coffeetonian

It can be difficult to tell when the pre-flowers are that small. Just keep your eye on them and it will soon become much more apparent whether they are male or female.

If you see several pre-flowers clumped together, kind of like grapes, the plant is probably male. The one in your pictures may be female or herm.

I've had plants (grown from bagseed) produce a few male pre-flowers, which were quickly removed, and the plant went on to grow some decent female flowers. This is common with Thai weed apparently.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of seed you would get from self-pollinating plants, but I'm guessing they would also likely produce hermaphroditic plants.

It can be difficult to tell when the pre-flowers are that small. Just keep your eye on them and it will soon become much more apparent whether they are male or female.

If you see several pre-flowers clumped together, kind of like grapes, the plant is probably male. The one in your pictures may be female or herm.

I've had plants (grown from bagseed) produce a few male pre-flowers, which were quickly removed, and the plant went on to grow some decent female flowers. This is common with Thai weed apparently.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of seed you would get from self-pollinating plants, but I'm guessing they would also likely produce hermaphroditic plants.
Thanks that's some interesting info.. I can post pics of my other plants (if needed) but from the strains that they are they are growing or showing sex at different speeds.. Like I said one plant is flowering nicely already while the rest are lagging behind. And two like I said looks to be either turning male or Hermies.. Guess all I can do for now is separate the ones I'm concerned about and leave the rest to show there colors so to speak.. Any other advice, questions or input would be highly appreciated..

Pollinating a female plant from a hermaphrodite plant produces feminized seeds, meaning they are pretty much guaranteed to be female.

Separating the plants isn't necessary if your intention is to create feminized seeds (assuming you have at least one female and one hermaphrodite).

OP, you have a few different options depending on your desired outcome.

Pollinating a female plant from a hermaphrodite plant produces feminized seeds, meaning they are pretty much guaranteed to be female.

This is probably pretty basic cultivation knowledge but it always blew my mind how feminized seeds that guarantee female plants exist.

I still don't understand all the science behind it but that one sentence just put a ~20-year mystery partly to bed for me.

Also, I came here expecting something akin to Where's Waldo.... I was disappointed at first, but now I'm kind of happy that I just learned a li'l somethin' somethin'.

It's not the only way or the easiest way (imo) to guarantee female plants.

The other option I'm thinking of is cloning. It's efficient, quick, cheap and easy.

Once you have a female plant spotted, you can simply keep her as a mother and harvest female clones off of her indefinitely.

This is probably pretty basic cultivation knowledge but it always blew my mind how feminized seeds that guarantee female plants exist.

Also, I came here expecting something akin to Where's Waldo.... I was disappointed at first, but now I'm kind of happy that I just learned a li'l somethin' somethin'.

I still don't understand all the science behind it but that one sentence just put a ~20-year mystery partly to bed for me.

I'm by no means am a pro and actually a newb to this outdoor scene as its not an controlled inviroment like indoor but its still a fun and educative learning process, it helps a lot having ppl with this fast knowledge and willing to share and help fellow growers out

It's not the only way or the easiest way (imo) to guarantee female plants.

The other option I'm thinking of is cloning. It's efficient, quick, cheap and easy.

Once you have a female plant spotted, you can simply keep her as a mother and harvest female clones off of her indefinitely.
I had bad luck and my whole indoor setup was destroyed but the outdoor crop not, so when I get my outdoor crop harvested and for it to be lucrative for me I will have an indoor setup going again and a lot more option will be available toto me.

I was actually thinking about using the Hermie's or any male plants for CWE hash.

I'm by no means am a pro and actually a newb to this outdoor scene as its not an controlled inviroment like indoor but its still a fun and educative learning process, it helps a lot having ppl with this fast knowledge and willing to share and help fellow growers out

For sure. Some of us are more helpful than others, though, and w01fy's one of the many folks on here who seem to know their shit (at least from where I'm sitting) when it comes to some of the more nuanced aspects of cultivation and concentrate production.

It's just.... Sometimes the most knowledgeable people on here can be the easiest to get into stupid arguments with. Kind of an oxymoron but it's definitely been my experience. So when you find one pop out of the woodwork that's all friendly-like, treasure that mother fucker.

I had bad luck and my whole indoor setup was destroyed but the outdoor crop not, so when I get my outdoor crop harvested and for it to be lucrative for me I will have an indoor setup going again and a lot more option will be available toto me.

I was actually thinking about using the Hermie's or any male plants for CWE hash.
Sorry to hear about your indoor setup, but it's good to know that you understand the process. Keeping a mother for clone harvesting is best done indoors, since you can control the vegetation/flower state. I used a 4-bulb 2 foot T5 (a relatively cool, no fan required-cfl) for a mother that simply ran under the light for 20 hours a day. I must of harvested hundreds of clones off of her without really spending any $$. Those clones worked well indoors as well as outdoors.

Hash extraction will work very well for your hermies. It will be difficult to get anything but a weak product from the male plants, but if that's not an issue I say go for it. I'm sure you already know this as I'm just stating the obvious but someone else who might be reading might not know that you need to seperate the males and hermies from the females if your intention is to eventually flower sensimilla.

Good luck with everything!

edit: I'm assuming you mean ISO instead of CWE?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your indoor setup, but it's good to know that you understand the process. Keeping a mother for clone harvesting is best done indoors, since you can control the vegetation/flower state. I used a 4-bulb 2 foot T5 (a relatively cool, no fan required-cfl) for a mother that simply ran under the light for 20 hours a day. I must of harvested hundreds of clones off of her without really spending any $$. Those clones worked well indoors as well as outdoors.

Hash extraction will work very well for your hermies. It will be difficult to get anything but a weak product from the male plants, but if that's not an issue I say go for it. I'm sure you already know this as I'm just stating the obvious but someone else who might be reading might not know that you need to seperate the males and hermies from the females if your intention is to eventually flower sensimilla.

Good luck with everything!

edit: I'm assuming you mean ISO instead of CWE?
Thanks so far for all the info and advice and its really much appreciated. Yes I have some knowledge as I dabbled in the indoor growing thing but nothing near most people that has been in it for years..

As for the hash extraction I'm actually talking CWE. Reason is not needing to spend any money for most of the setup and also keeping it as simple as possible, another reason would be that I'm actually have a big vegan based clientell or that I'm building up and as you know they want stuff that are all organic and completely natural.

Otherwise I would have looked at ISO.. But still super thanks for input and advice

Much Love

Your Coffeetonian

Oh shit you're talking about bubble hash, my bad. That sounds pretty good.

Enjoy bro

Oh shit you're talking about bubble hash, my bad. That sounds pretty good.

Enjoy bro

Yes bud, that is exactly it.. Gonna be my first Attempt so guess using Hermies, males and all of cuts would be a good idea for this first time experiment for bubble hash. Wish me luck.

Much Love
Your Coffeetonian