Grimes - Visions ( 2012 )

Cyc

Bluelighter
I proudly present to you, Montreal-based musician and artist, Grimes

url

First video from the new album and subsequent Pitchfork review.

Track List:

01 Infinite ♡ Without Fulfillment (intro)
02 Genesis
03 Oblivion
04 Eight
05 Circumambient
06 Vowels = space and time
07 Visiting Statue
08 Be A Body (侘寂)
09 Colour of Moonlight (Antiochus) [ft. Doldrums]
10 Symphonia IX (my wait is u)
11 Nightmusic (feat. Majical Cloudz)
12 Skin
13 know the way (outro)

Recognize

I admit, it was a little bit of an internal battle of whether to put this post here or in NEMD.

I think it could handily fit into either forum.

Oh Claire Boucher, lemme count the ways I love you

i love your kool aid hair and canadian camo and funny ears

i love your little girl voice and loop bloop bitty bloops

i love that you show up to new york fashion week with no idea who you are wearing

i love that you love selena gomez as much as you love ancient medieval wedding march songs

i love that you don't have a real website, just a (perfectly amazing, mind you) twitter and a myspace band page

i could go on forever <3

also favourite song is surely visting statue even though it is WAYYY too short

From the new album I'm really liking Nightmusic and Vowels.

Fuck sakes this is good.

man it's all about visiting statue and skin. and oblivion. genesis is good too. actually i love the whole damn thing.

well, i found a bunch of videos/photos of grimes playing at the drunken unicorn, where i saw her, and i'm mildly cringing the whole time because i can hear myself screaming, drunkenly in the front row. but it doesn't matter.

tumblr_m0izq2cw9h1r7z66ao1_500.jpg

tumblr_m0gi3tNU0X1qg6w1ao1_500.png

Oblivion

untitled new song

That's fine. As you may know, I'm against the distinction between EMD and NEMD because I think it's utterly meaningless, especially with artists like Grimes, but if people feel better about calling this NEMD, then sure, whatever works.

So after several listens, I've settled on Skin as my favourite track on this album. I think, might check back later. ;)

well, this started as a response to something in the fashion thread--fucking push! but then it got a little long for being about music. not that there isn't a solid link between Grimes and fashion.
grimes has two other albums besides visions but i don't like them as much.

333.jpg

halfaxa

and geidi primes

Grimes_-_Geidi_Primes_album_cover.png

halfaxa does have World ♡ Princess and my sister says the saddest things on it, and i love those songs.
yeah, i bought Visions and downloaded the other two off her site. i figured that was fair. and if she ever comes round my way or anywhere i have close friends, i'll be buying a ticket. Halfaxa is my number one. Weregild, sagrad прекрасный, world ♡ princess are some of my favorites off it. though her albums are pretty seamless, and it is hard to hold the songs separate. i've been loving Nightmusic from Visions lately. i didn't know it as anything more than #11 before just now checking. Geidi Primes is my least favorite, but is awesome. particularly Rosa. My Sister Says the Saddest things is by far my favorite song title of hers. maybe my favorite song title period. at first i only liked it for the title, way back when it was the title or tagline or something on Kenickie's tumblr. now i absolutely love the song. Grimes is an acquired taste, but it sticks. the album version of Venessa--which is not on any album--was the ice breaker. oh, and if any of you haven't checked out her bonus tracks, a youtube channel has them in high quality. Angel is my favorite of the four. too bad none of them are on the CD i bought straight from the record label.

at the lake house we use for hedonism, we have had those three albums, Princess Chelsea's Lil' Golden Book, and some random mix in the CD player all summer. it's not a Grimes crowd at all, but she's grown on them big time. we even finally brought a cord to hook iphones up, and people still often vote for the CD player's classic five. when we have new people out, she definitely still gets a "whatthefuck are we listening to?"

This girl is indeed a genius. Visions is some dream pop harmonic happy goodness. by far the most accessible. her first album took some getting used to but I'm beginning to fall in love with all her tracks on that one.

I'm digging it too. The Grimes Oblivion video is like I've taken acid even tho I've never taken acid.

VISITING STATUE. it's my most played song in the 5 years i've had a last.fm

i have nothing new to add. loved your post hydro. gotta love the spice girls tribute of genesis though. she directed it herself.

tumblr_m9axxaIkXS1r66w9to1_500.gif

source material for genesis

I like Visions from start to finish, more or less. Genesis, Oblivion, Vowels, Symphonia IX and Skin all stood out more than the rest.

There's something fascinating about her for sure. I remember watching a live video of Oblivion on youtube, and then an interview, and then went on to watch probably every interview of her in existence. I still can't put my finger on what it is about her that made me do that.

I love her, but I need to listen to her album in its entirety. Glad to see it is getting love, so I can assume it is worth my time.

maybe not. i guess people don't like this song so she scraped the album. so what, now next Grimes album is 2016? thefuck. buck up bitch.

she looks real good in the dress at 2:26.