Grimes - Visions ( 2012 )

yea i read about that recently @ http://www.factmag.com/2014/09/12/grimes-scrapped-her-album-after-negative-reaction-to-go/

“Everybody was like, ‘Oh, Grimes is pandering to the radio.’” The criticism resonated: Boucher was unhappy with the album’s then-form: “It sucked… so I threw it out and started again.

like she mentioned, i get why it wouldn't appeal to her fans, well some of them. except for the chorus, i like the song. doesn't automatically grab me like the first time i heard "oblivion" but i don't think it sucks =/ can't wait to hear what she puts out next...

i used to think it was like the best song ever. now i wouldn't be caught dead listening to it.

found another i hadn't heard. with the same guy...

inspired by nabokov. and gin.

personally i'm mad rihanna didn't say "yo lets do this together." i like it. i think it's ridiculous that people are like "she's pandering to the radio." so is oblivion. so is genesis. she made a great pop record. 'go' would never play on the radio either. way too much beat for commercial radio.

claire's rich and famous now ...

and according to Rolling Stone, Girls is going premiere a new song from Grimes called "Entropy."

for fashion friends ...
grimes%26elleforkenicke%26joe.jpg

this event is about a sneaker collaboration involving rodarte. an ugly sneaker ...
NSFW:
rodarte-superga-ss15-shoes.jpg

the best she's looked in a long time. am downloading the song and it will be the theme song for my quick jaunt into la tomorrow.

saw this at work and saved it for now. the song is nice. a new Grimes album could really turn my life around right now.

it's so sugary. she is a pop angel ...

album's digital release is november 6. hardcopy is december 11. which is frustrating, but alright.

omg yes. a heaven-sent album that will for sure brighten these dark/short winter days that lie ahead.

withholding judgement until i hear the whole album. right now am feeling like peak grimes was vanessa and that it's been all down hill from there. gulp.

but this was great.

tumblr_nwwgu44NhD1tm0tuwo1_1280.gif

kind of insulting that marilyn manson took lady gaga so seriously when his true heir and scion was squatting somewhere in montreal.

tumblr_nwuftxOBcg1qim76zo1_540.gif
tumblr_nwuftxOBcg1qim76zo2_540.gif

Vanessa was the song that opened me up to Grimes. hadn't listened to it in forever because it's not on one of her three albums. good stuff.

i love Flesh without Blood. it's cotton candy and ecstasy. pop's fairy princess demonstrating mastery of form. i couldn't be more excited for this album. and yeah, i've been digging the video as well.

a heaven-sent album that will for sure brighten these dark/short winter days that lie ahead.
word.

she posted another single ...

hardly. a split EP. that i cannot buy. being available for download on itunes and amazon is not the same as being available for purchase. mp3s are a tool used to steal music, not a product of any fiscal value.

that was so saccharine i'm surprised my teeth haven't fallen out

scream & kill v. maim are the only ones that are catching my attention

california sounds like a laundry detergent ad, which basically crushed my feelings for the rest of the album

so i don't know, i've been listening to it non stop to see how i really feel about it but i dunno guys :/

^ yea, i pretty much feel the same. such a different album than "visions" everything is like so polished. the more stripped down sound on previous album is what i fell in love with. that said, i do love a few songs on the new one (flesh without blood, realiti, venus fly) just not an album i would listen to from start to finish...

sounds like a screaming girl high on PCP getting ready for her fight sequence
And the music is so loud and your tights keep catching and ripping and you're screaming so loud and no one notices you and the lights are too bright but it doesn't matter because you're gonna kill someone
With the hyper kinetic frenzy of mashing buttons in a video game but instead of buttons it's a bottle and instead of tv it's someone's face
Like the smells like teen spirit video with less dudes, less plaid, more cheerleaders and more menstrual blood

Art Angels is a fantastic album. an exquisite exploration of pop, flirting with mastery of form. (a quick google search doesn't yield anything about that term outside what it looks like is its original racial context, but i've heard it applied to genre outside of race and i think it's fitting here. i simply mean in her construction of pop within its genre, but you could also take into account this album being a female's effort to be heard in the male-labeled world of music production.) she's attempting to pull apart and reassemble every space that lies within bounds, seeing if she can't make something bigger. the album evidences her intensifying interest in producing, touching on all of pop music -- pop rock, pop country, pop rap, pop punk, etc. -- and including an influx of guest vocals. Grimes isn't treading water. not in her career, not from album to album.

when i first played it through, i was shocked and couldn't believe i was going to agree with you two. it sounded like gummy garbage. but good music takes a bit to digest, and that goes several fold for Grimes. it's rare i like a song on the first few listen and maintain any interest; Flesh without Blood is one of those instances. some that i warmed up to soon after -- "Scream," "Kill V. Maim," "Belly of the Beat," and "Butterfly" -- are are mentioned in this thread. i'm slowly falling in love with the whole album. it's pink and ethereal, yet strong and structured. just on my way to work this morning, i realized how awesome "World Princess, Pt. II" is. so this is still a preliminary review. more time is needed to tell where it stands with the likes of Halfaxa and Visions. but it upholds the name Grimes. and while it was not the album i was expecting, i'm thrilled she released it.

Last edited:
I think the new album is excellent. I've listened to it a couple of times. I'm not sure if I'll get tired of it quickly, which is what I thought at first, but on subsequent listens I think I'm liking it more. It's on par with Yeasayers last couple of albums, just a female version. And I'm a huge fan of Yeasayer so I'm really digging the new Grimes album. I also thought Visions reminded me a tad bit of Yeasayer, of course only in the best ways.