• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Achieving dissociative state without dissociatives?

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
Yeah I happen to love this state of mind, full of possibilities, freely flowing cognition, creativity and logic, fully awake yet completely calm and somehow so much more sober than this usual everyday world of unreal small and big fears and traumas, captivated in emotions and social problems etc... (that all of a sudden I then just "feel" with others too, like I was usually half-blind) just that with drugs, for every up there comes a down, last night I did a gram of very good ketamine on top of 300mg DXM and would have done more if I had, it was magical once again but I felt so dreaded, anxious and lonely during the time it weared off, this caught me in loops of manic-depressive bingeing on dissociatives before up to the point of sleep deprivation psychosis more than once. Also tolerance's through the roof, it's expensive, (not just) legally dangerous and keeping myself away from a healthy social life cause of all the changes, hiding, ups & downs ..

It's debatable but somehow I think of this state as a desirable goal for my life, cause my usual sober being is socially and economically dysfunctional, a lonely nerd-ish life I'd trade in any time and years of trying to find a good therapy didn't help 10% of what dissociatives can do within half an hour. It's literally like I'd be who I really am, or whoever I'd like to be, maybe.. it takes some time to get used to the change usually, less so for "on" as for "off" when coming down of course, but I think to know that it's not a dysfunctional state by far, this has been confirmed by others.

So just I am thinking about the how. Does this sound similar to anybody here? Probably I know the possible answers, like meditation etc.. but at least I'd like to know whether it's possible or a pure illusion. The effects are way too real and pronounced to just write them off, I tried that for over 10 years now without success.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting question I think, I have been thinking about it a while but haven't had time to respond. I am actually just coming down from 300mg K (spread out over a few hours) and 20mg Psilactin earlier in the day so my thoughts may not be as lucid as I would like but I will do my best to respond in a way that this question deserves.

Honestly as a big fan of dissociatives in general I can really identify with a lot of what you are saying - specifically, in regards to the feeling of being who you really are when on dissociatives, and like dissociatives temporarily unlock this version of yourself, and like the non-dissociated version of yourself is actually an expression of the dissociated self but encumbered in some ways by the quirks of our self-doubting, anxious, threat-seeking human default. Or as you put it -
you said:
It's literally like I'd be who I really am, or whoever I'd like to be, maybe..
I actually really like this quote, not just because it resonates with me as a feeling I have also had, but also because of the "maybe"... that "maybe" is the ever present question that any dissociative user can identify with this... IS this who I really am? Or could this be a drug-induced delusion? :)

I think there are several things going on here which warrant their own discussion, but I will try to clarify things as I see them (obviously that's all any of us can really do) - firstly I think that there is doubtless some truth in the idea that the dissociated version of yourself IS who you really are, unencumbered by unhelpful anxieties which themselves are generally a result of unavoidable circumstance. We can envision a future where human psychiatry is such an exact science that such unhelpful anxieties - which often really only develop through a quirk in the way our minds evolved, which is just not ideally suited to our modern, technologically advanced human societies - can be simply "switched off", thus instantly curing the sufferer of these unfortunate afflictions. Given that that future has not yet materialised however, the end result is still achievable, but through a more drawn out process - I'll return to this point in a moment.

The second thing of course is that dissociatives are imperceptibly switching off various parts of your waking brain, which has the perceptible side-effect that the anxieties, self-defeating false beliefs or habits of thought that keep you from being the person you want to be usually are also gone. However, dissociatives can be considered I think to be a somewhat blunt instrument in this regard, and what systems they are switching off cannot possibly be obvious to the dissociated subject - I could go on here but to avoid stating the obvious and probably a paragraph of stream-of-consciousness type thoughts on the nature of "self", I'll just say that it may be that there are some things being switched off that actually if you could look at things objectively you would like to keep switched on.

Ultimately, evidence suggests that dissociatives are habit forming and addictive, but the mechanism of this addiction I think is a very interesting one because it is pretty much entirely going on in the mind, and it would probably not be too far off to suggest that the same mechanisms that might lead one to think that the person that they really are on dissociatives IS who they really are is what causes people to develop actual delusions... a la John Lilly, ECCO, etc. On the flipside though, as I mentioned I think the side effects of a dissociated state, can and do allow in some cases for a truer expression of the "real self", so to speak, so if this is the sole reason for the addictiveness of these substances rather than some darker subconscious machinations (which I would not entirely rule out) then, well, that's just a pretty macabre reality I guess.

Anyway... not to get too off the point I was trying to make. I think dissociatives ultimately can be useful as tools to show yourself who you are when unencumbered by some of the quirks of our fortuitously over-evolved monkey minds, as long as you remain always cognisant and aware that your perception of yourself is not always reliable. This is a double edged sword I think - on the one hand, all the limiting beliefs that hold you back when you're NOT dissociated are probably not an accurate reflection of reality, and when dissociatives show you this, it can be helpful! On the other hand, just as a general rule when you're under the influence of anything your own judgement about who or what you are, or who or what you want to be, may not be accurate - as much as it seems so at the time.

However the point I am getting to is that I have often thought that the dissociative state shares a lot of similarities with mindfulness achieved through meditation. The state of being "in the moment", "Zen", "mindfulness" or whatever term or concept is applicable. I think dissociatives are a temporary shortcut to this state, and also generally tend to be quite ego-reinforcing, unlike other psychedelics. I think this ego-reinforcement may be just a side effect of being dumped directly into a mindful, objective state of awareness of who you are and your own thought processes. Seeing oneself as who you are, especially if you are by nature a fairly anxious person, can have an acute ego-boosting effect. But, as any accomplished meditator or monk will probably tell you (I am neither so someone correct me if I'm wrong) reliance on the ego for your sense of self-worth is a trap because the ego is fragile, and as soon as the dissociatives start to wear off your ego will acutely feel all the negativity from the mental-scatteredness of the aftereffects, compounded by the creeping re-emergence of all the brains myriad of self-doubt subroutines slowly coming back online.

So - finally - I would say that YES, a "dissociated" state IS achievable without dissociatives - if by "dissociated" we mean a sustained state of inner serenity. Although I know of no other way than practising meditation and cultivating mindfulness. There are a lot of good and helpful ideas in Buddhism I think, specifically orientated around the idea that our whole sense of self is generally a complete illusion.

Personally, I have pretty much accepted at this point that dissociatives are just pure hedonism for me, although I would say that they have been helpful, just in the sense of showing me A version of myself that I could be (whether or not that was or is the "real" me, and whether or not such a term even makes sense). I think it's important to be aware of their ego-reinforcement tendencies though - even if it's not always obvious how to mitigate these dangers, and if, indeed they even are dangers if some kind of low level ego-reinforcement is helpful to us - just being aware of them at least is important.

In general the kind of dissociation that you can achieve without dissociatives - by which I mean, the ability to dissociate ones sense of self and self worth from any involuntary chatter and emotional turbulence going on within their own mind - is going to be ultimately superior to the dissociation that any dissociative drug can induce, which at present, again, function only as blunt instruments, and do not really give us this aforementioned ability, they just conveniently switch off the parts of our mind that we would sometimes like to ignore. But, the road to achieving this ability takes practice and unavoidable suffering and hardship along the way.

That's not to say that some kind of novel pharmacological agent might one day offer a shortcut to such a state of inner serenity, or that, indeed, we might genetically rewire ourselves so that such traits are hard-coded into the human psyche. Both these things would obviously be objectively great things for the human race - but in lieu of either of these things having happened yet, sustained practices of meditation and cultivating mindfulness are the only ways that I know of.

Last edited:
I have also made the statement that I feel like my "True Self" all the time when I'm on an appropriate - not too out there dose of a quality Disco. This is the question I've been thinking for years about...

If people who have decent to reasonably good Attention Spans take Amphetamines or Methylphenidate, they get SUPER hyper at a normal dose - while the people who actually NEED the meds because they have pretty severe ADHD comparatively become Calm and far more Composed when they take these compounds. Also, how many people with really bad ADHD have you heard say that their life completely changed for the better once they started taking a medication that truly helped the center of their mental health/daily life. I've heard plenty of people say the first day they took their meds was the first day they truly felt like themselves, the full version of who they are and what they're capable of, but were being Neurologically held back from...

If that's the case for ADHD, why would that not very possibly be the case for D.I.D. (Dissociative Identity Disorder)? The compounds make people who are not so much on the spectrum of possibly having the Disorder, maybe more prone to the Negative Symptoms and after effects, or to fear instead of calm and peaceful? I've never taken a Dissociative that I didn't like - the first time I took DXM, I was 19. That day, I got to feel like the all of the parts of my brain that were supposed to be functioning, and that probably weren't quite doing their job properly, actually started to work at least somewhat how they're intended to and may actually already be working for everyone else....I was diagnosed with D.I.D. this year and put on a high dose of Amphetamines, and while it helps, it only feels like pieces of the full version of what I know I'm capable of and would like to do in my life. It REALLY helps, but it's just not quite the same. In people that have D.I.D. - each case is unique to that person, no 2 people have the disorder or experience it in the exact same way. Part of where it comes from is being severely Mentally, Physically, or Sexually abused as a young child, they generally say before the age of 9. The way our body copes with this fucked up shit, is to disconnect and under establish connections to certain parts of our brain, so that while we tend to grow up feeling a bit numb and detached, we have a natural adaptation to combat the fucking Hell that we're living thru by not only being programmed differently so that we can handle the shitty parts of life, but if things get too dark - we can just fully Disassociate from our physical form and not have to constantly, daily live thru the Fuckshit that other Humans are doing to Us. People with D.I.D. have receptors and connections that are sometimes ALL out of wack.

I have really Low Serotonin most of the time, but it will flip for a week or 10 days out of the month and I'll go from Manic and on top of shit - to fuck it all mode and not care or try to do much, want to get more fucked up, and tend to eat and sleep way more, also barely socialize. My Dopamine tends to be naturally on the higher side, I have excellent natural tolerance to physical pain, emotional pain not so much especially when I was younger (I do much better these days in being overly sensitive). I also feel like the Dopamine levels contribute to the personality Numbness and Detachment that I've felt my whole life. I find most of what humans do to be pointless, a distraction, and downright boring. I didn't choose that - I just never got to experience a LOT of common things as a kid, so I think entire categories of activities are fucking purposeless. I still try and communicate with everyone, even if I don't like what they're into, but I honestly have always preferred to be Alone, or with a close GF or Best Friend who would be preferably male. 5 people MAX around me at anytime or I just can't stand it - I legit feel like the forms around me are either Draining My Energy - or that I'm absorbing their Bullshit and making things easier for them while I gradually get more and more stressed out and insane. It's a huge reason why I've always preferred my alone time, and being able to describe this how I just have is something that took me until 2-3 years ago to even fully put into words, accept and realize, and figure out exactly what was going on by staying more Aware of my Body. Glutamate and NMDA receptors are also generally out of wack, either with too much or too little, or sometimes just not firing properly at all. Same goes for Norepenephrine, starting to take Amphetamines has been the best medication I've ever taken in my life that's been prescribed, it truly balances out what I need but isn't TOO much. I don't even need them daily, it's like my brain and body just don't have the right fuel all of the time flowing, so I get worn out or disinterested in things quickly - but when I get some fuel, a little bit goes a long way, and just having my brain feel so much more useful automatically helps me have more confidence, more social, and just overall More Capable of doing what's expected or needed of me by the people around me. I never even realized how bad my ADHD was, because the fact I was living my daily life in a fucking Dream State for most of my Existence was the MAIN ISSUE that was fucking me up and making life difficult. I already by nature a loner and a fucking weirdo, being a little bit smart and observational doesn't help either. As I started to realize and accept that MY D.I.D. was literally things being not how they're supposed to be in every major part of my neurological makeup as a person - I slowed down and started to access and handle the problems I was having in order of importance based on how they effected my daily life, the people around me, or just annoyed me uncontrollably. I've made more improvements in the past 10-12 months than I ever have in my life. I'm very close to feeling like I imagine other people get to feel on a daily basis without needing to strategically balance all of the main aspects of their body chemistry and neurology. It was a long fucking path to get here - but it's been worth it, and I really think if you feel as a Human Being that these compounds help YOU this much, maybe you should look into and even consider the possibility that you could have this Disorder, or something closely related to it. My brain benefits in multiple ways every time I use a Dissociative. Very rarely do I regret taking them - but I've come to learn that Weed, is FUCKING TERRIBLE for Me, but goddamn do I love that taste and the chill beautiful sounding music. I quite smoking Weed after 16 years daily - at points I was an ounce a week blunt smoker, to myself. The further I get from trees, the better I feel...but it was I bitch! I love you Mary ; _ + )

I'd love to know what BL DiscoHeads think about this assessment. Pick it apart, please - I'm not here to say "this is true, you must listen" - question and doubt fucking everything, research it for yourself - that's what I did, but I also am a burnout and get shit wrong sometimes. BUT....I GENUINELY FEEL that I'm to something and have done some EXTENSIVE self work in the past 7-8 of my life. Staying aware daily of my entire body has been mandatory to accomplish anything and learn about myself. What my Psych deems my other "personalities" if you will, I can tell they're still a part of me - but my brain has been going thru the beautiful experience of reintegration within different parts of itself as neurological pathways gets made stronger where they belong. I've heard other voices in my head of all varieties since I was a young ass kid 10-11 years old. They used to make life fucked up. Then one day, I was fed up - so I started to talk back to all of them, ask them questions, talk shit back to them, ask where the fuck they came from and who or what were they. What I came to realize was, they were all STILL Me, just different puzzle pieces and blends of traits as well as from different ages and phases of my life. I have just been broken into a BUNCH of smaller pieces, that were all still there - just unable to properly communicate with each other, making it impossible to work together, let alone help "Me" as a whole. I made friends with the Voices in my head, all of them. It was actually really strange, but seemed to be the only Logical way to proceed.

I have SO much more I'd like to tell about this bizarre phenomenon - but I'm' talking too much about Me now, not enough about what's actually going on, and there's too much speculating. So, I'm going to chill out for now, see if any of what I mentioned hopefully helps the cats in this thread out in some way - and if you have any questions or statements, I'll be sure to check back and participate. Take care BL - Have some fun in the Winter SUPER DANGER Snow Storm we're getting in the Mid-West/East Coast. - Peace.......Meowfish

I wish I knew how to feel that way without dissociatives. Meditation never did much for me. The closest I can get is the afterglow of a nice psychedelic trip, or a strong pot of sheng puerh brewed gongfu style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_fgyXXnSM

"So anthropologists said may be at some point in history may be everybody was doping, which cannot be; because in many parts of the world it doesn?t even grow. So various kinds of explanations came; nothing sensible came out of it. Then the neurologists after about two and a half years of looking into this in various levels they said when human being is in a certain state of experience the human system itself produces the necessary chemicals for which it is waiting. So these millions of cannabis receptors are waiting for you to produce it. Those who could not produce it they tried to put it from outside and damaged the system. Look at me I am always blissed out. Look into my eyes and see I am stoned. Never been on any substance but always stoned. Because the very system does this."

Lucid dreaming and astral projection (a type of lucid dream)

it's not as good but very similar to dissocistives in the visual sense. The abstract thinking isn't there though. The euphoria can be good also.

...and no permanent bladder damage and poison from Chinese synth impurities is a plus too

If you are interested in these practices I reccomend the science of lucid dreaming by Stephen laberge and astral dynamics is another book.

Apparently people with advanced skill in astral projection can reach some higher states of mind beyond just sensory experience.

Disclaimer; I do not believe astral projection actually allows on outside of their body as some claim. It is certainly a real practice though

Last edited: