View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT vs LSD vs Psilocin/Psilocybin

SilentLeges

Greenlighter
I would like Bluelighter's opinions on the major differences on the physical, emotional, and psychological effects of the three most commonly discussed psychedelic (hallucinogenic) substances, namely DMT, LSD, and Psilocin/Psilocybin. Please share your experiences if you have tried more than one of the aforementioned substances, and how you find each experience (trip) different from the other(s). Thanks Bluelighters!

Assuming we are doing just regular doses and nothing crazy or heroic.

1 tab lsd - very clear mental mind-space. Slightly euphoric but sometimes intensely euphoric. Lots of funny things. Lots of analytical ability. Emotions can be intense if they arise. Physical effects - small to zero body load. feeling of alive-ness in the body (due to LSD being a stimulant). feeling like more physical energy. Feeling more comfortable in the body.

3.5g mushrooms - semi-clear mind-space but sometimes very clear mind-space. Not as much clarity of thoughts. Mostly visuals that are devoid of sound. Colors, images, pictures, geometric patterns, sometimes visions. Either drop dead hilarious or lacking humor, very few moments of small humor. Often very intense body load. Sometimes I feel physcially cold and earthy (like I've turned into a mushroom lol). Sometimes nausea.

30mg DMT - The experiences on DMT tend to vary greatly. Sometimes it's a nightmarish demonic place of horrors. Sometimes it's like Gods house. Feelings range from confusion and horror to complete serenity and unconditional love. Visual distortions are common with closed eyes, ranging from white monocolors to kalidescope of colors. Sometimes it's geometric shapes, sometimes its visions of very life-like things. Sometimes its wavy and bubbly, sometimes its sharp and crystally. most DMT trips have a feeling of love or serenity for me. I've heard from others who do it more than sometimes you get wisdom trips where things talk to you and tell you things.

LSD is like a party drug. It's fun and easy. It can be used in a sacred way to connect with the divine, or it can be used the same way alcohol is, to get your body feeling funny and amazing.

Mushrooms is like a wise kung-fu teacher. Wise, but sometimes brutal and gives zero fucks if you feel bad when it knocks you over the head with a wooden cane. It wont knock for you no reason but if your form is incorrect it'll let you know. It's not about partying, it's about learning.

DMT is a wild card. It can show you the secrets of the universe. It can make you so afraid of leaving your body that you quit doing it all together. DMT is the most expansive of all them and in a completely different category imo. Even the worst of my LSD and mushroom trips were pretty managable, the worst of my DMT trips haunts me to this day. It's good when its good, and unholy when its not. the other drugs are good when its good, slightly shitty when its not but still nothing to be worried about.

^^^I really like these descriptions.

Yes DMT is the most beautiful psychedelic I've ever tried but times where I've not come in correct so to speak, it's humbled me... And I can promise it isn't fun. I know I have just seen the tip of iceberg with what it's capable of.

LSD is obviously the longest lasting. (16 hours for me but the bulk is over in 8-10.) With that comes the longest lasting "afterglow" as well. (I love that aspect.) It's the most stimulating and could be considered the most "recreational" of the three. There's a reason burnout wooks can eat the stuff like vitamins damn near daily and have it take a really long time before it bites em in the ass.

LSD I've always equated to more of an emotional enhancer than a mind warper. It's like every emotion gets intensified 20 fold, happy, sad, physical sensations, you name it.. I don't get this with other psychedelics nearly as much. It doesn't feel like there is a presence or guiding purpose behind it, it's all down to how you can handle yourself. One wrong move, or right move, can flip the trip on its head.

Mushrooms are the in between on duration. They're strange. Sometimes you'll trip for 4 hours sometimes 10 or more. They definitely don't play and often the teachings are somewhat pessimistic in nature. Mushrooms teach you the right way, not by coddling you, but by showing you just how ugly things can actually get. You come back just thankful you have what you have.

DMT is... One hell of a drug man. The first time I tried it I felt like it was what every other psychedelic was striving to be. Don't get me wrong, none is better or worse per se, but it just felt so clean and unadulterated. Like all others were middlemen.

It can vary a lot based on what plant it's extracted from and the other alkaloids present. The purest white/clear crystal DMT is usually a heavenly experience. I've had multiple experiences where I'm repeating outloud "thank you! thank you for everything!" I'm filled with a sense of gratitude for everything I have in my life and how lucky I am and how inconsequential all my life problems are.

Other extracts can be more like mushrooms in the "firmness" of their teachings.

I could never pick a favorite, I feel they're all special and needed at certain times depending on the situation.

-GC

Lsd is hyperspace, mushrooms is earthly weirdness and DMT goes for your soul. DMT is the best drug known to man. Everything else I took was horseplay.

1 tab lsd - very clear mental mind-space. Slightly euphoric but sometimes intensely euphoric. Lots of funny things. Lots of analytical ability. Emotions can be intense if they arise. Physical effects - small to zero body load. feeling of alive-ness in the body (due to LSD being a stimulant). feeling like more physical energy. Feeling more comfortable in the body.

3.5g mushrooms - semi-clear mind-space but sometimes very clear mind-space. Not as much clarity of thoughts. Mostly visuals that are devoid of sound. Colors, images, pictures, geometric patterns, sometimes visions. Either drop dead hilarious or lacking humor, very few moments of small humor. Often very intense body load. Sometimes I feel physcially cold and earthy (like I've turned into a mushroom lol). Sometimes nausea.

You've gotta have the heaviest dosed single tab of LSD to achieve the same level of trip as 3.5g of mushrooms. 3.5 of mushrooms is a massive dose IMO, for some reason when I was younger that was always a standard dose and it always kicked everyone's ass. On average I'd say 3.5g of mushrooms is like 3 hits of LSD.

mushrooms and DMT have a lot of similarities (psilocin is 4-ho-dmt after all), a really high dose of mushrooms can be like a really long DMT trip. The visual styles of DMT and mushrooms have potential to be much more frightening than LSD, sometimes grotesque skull or other spooky organic things. High doses of LSD I find the visuals become these swirling patterns rainbow fractals. They all have a lot in common visually, but I don't get "the faces" from LSD like I do from dmt or mushrooms.

Head high all those substances can become overwhelming, relatively though, mushrooms/DMT have a higher potential to become overwhelming mentally; with LSD my mind doesn't get stuck on certain thoughts as easily, it can still happen, but you have a lot more agency to change it. Thoughts on mushrooms often feel relatively more pushy and jumbled, hard to make sense of at times which can cause confusion.

LSD as others have said is much higher energy, although mushrooms can sometimes have high energy towards the end of the trip. Bodyload is much much more intense with mushrooms, couch lock sort of thing, LSD can be heavy bodyload too but its in a more energetic way and commonly more pleasurable. I've had experiences on mushrooms or LSD where the body high feels like its on an MDMA level, but also times where its really uncomfortable and i can't figure out what to do with myself.

Overall, I think all classical psychedelics have a lot more in common than people give them credit for since they're so often compared, and due to being psychedelic each experience with them can vary highly even with the exact same dose. mushrooms can at times feel like LSD and vice versa I find.

All have the potential for being in stitches laughing, which is the best part imo

As far as DMT goes, it's a different experience from LSD or Psylocibin. With DMT, it tends to happen so fast and so strong that it's over before I come to terms with it. Within seconds of smoking it, there's a panic and primal fear that manifests, and I feel like I'm being flung out of a slingshot without safety net. But then instead of falling, I'm just kind of suspended in a weird and alien space. With every breath I take, there's another wave of "woah" coming on, and there's a distinct sensation of something lurking just around the corner. Not hostile, but curious. Kind of like barging into a party uninvited, and everyone stops and gives you a curious glance from head to toe. I can't see them, but I feel their presence on an emotional level. Kind of hard to explain. My emotions have a weird sort of push and pull to them. There's a feeling of almost childlike wonder and fascination, with sadness and pure joy running all at once. I've never once felt alone during the DMT experience. Over the years I've began to recognize a feeling of reunion and hospitality when entering this space. Sort of like seeing an old friend who's been wondering where you've been and when you'd come back. A joyful occasion. Sometimes it moves me to tears. I can't really make heads or tails of this, because it's over before I get to say goodbye.

At higher dosages or rapid quick ingestion, it gets different. Here I'm launched from the slingshot once again, but instead of suspension, there's a rip or tear, like breaking through a thin sheet of plastic or rubber. Pop. At this point I'm no longer rooted in reality, but find myself completely cut off from the outside. What happens here is extremely confusing, beautiful and profound. I find myself feeling sheer terror and awe. The space, at least for me, is sort of like a dome, and the walls are one giant mass of slithering serpent painted in impossible colors. Everything is extremely organic in appearance, constantly rearranging machinations and impossible mechanisms. Come to think of it, it has a certain workshop feel to it. I absolutely feel like an intruder here, but my host is benevolent and tolerates me.

Personally to me lsd is very analytical. Its a much more functional psychedelic. Easier to get up and move around and communicate and do everyday things. Its kinda like looking at everything with new eyes and picking it apart while the old to you kinda floats above taking in the experience.
Mushrooms are much more debilitating but not in a bad way. It's a much more connected feeling. You are everything and everything is you. I often find myself melting into chairs and realizing that I've completely fallen on my side without noticing. Much more giggly and energetic once you get past the initial come up but more confusing of a headspace. Hard to keep track of everything because you're so easily distracted. High doses of mushrooms (7-10 g) are much more visual for me than high doses of lsd (10 strip totalling up to ~2000ug)
DMT is a whole other beast. Nothing like any other psychedelic. When you really break through you will temporarily lose the ability to stand and the world around you will dissolve. The visuals will encompass your entire field of vision. You wont be able to tell when your eyes are open vs when they are closed.
Lsd and mushrooms are a higher plane of your current existence. DMT is a whole other galaxy

Hey there, welcome tripchief. :) You described LSD very well, IMO. I often feel like the trip emerges from everything and I'm not tripping, I'm just seeing things in a new way and/or the world has changed. I am able to have a lot of oversight and understand of my thoughts because of this. It's an effect specific to LSD. On mushrooms there is no doubt whatsoever that I am on drugs.

My first ever trip was on mushrooms and I felt that I had woken up, but the dream I woke up from was my life. I realized we are all the universe, all the same awareness. Every time I do them I feel strongly connected to nature and others. They're very ego-dissolving. I've never had that sort of experience on LSD, but also mushrooms are a much more intense and out of control ride, whereas LSD is quite malleable and controllable until high doses when it gets pretty wild.

As you can see, its different for everybody, the biggest difference for me, mushrooms have a very marked and distinct "serotonergic feeling" for me, what I mean, is that I feel a little bit like if I was on mdma, I feel happiness and empathy, and I find mushrooms sedating and less likely to cause anxiety than LSD, I believe this is the norm since I have seen stated several times that mushrooms are more sedating than LSD, LSD for me is more stimulating, more body load, the visuals are very similar but different, I would say shrooms are more wavy visuals, and LSD is more geometrical visuals, for me they are both equally analytical, in general they are both extremely similar for me I cannot tell much of a difference, DMT I have smoked a few times but not in high enough doses to give an opinion, but in my experiences it was somewhere in between LSD and shrooms, ayahuasca is also somewhere in between, but more like shrooms than LSD, but a very big body load.

Yes, mushrooms are definitely more sedating. However it seems that as many people find them much more likely to cause anxiety than LSD, than the opposite. That does indeed go to show how different it can be for everyone.

I had a while lot to post here before my post was lost. Not writing it again. PM me with questions if anything. I've got lots of experience with DMT, LSD, shrooms, mescaline, and many more.

Hey there, welcome tripchief. :) You described LSD very well, IMO. I often feel like the trip emerges from everything and I'm not tripping, I'm just seeing things in a new way and/or the world has changed. I am able to have a lot of oversight and understand of my thoughts because of this. It's an effect specific to LSD. On mushrooms there is no doubt whatsoever that I am on drugs.

My first ever trip was on mushrooms and I felt that I had woken up, but the dream I woke up from was my life. I realized we are all the universe, all the same awareness. Every time I do them I feel strongly connected to nature and others. They're very ego-dissolving. I've never had that sort of experience on LSD, but also mushrooms are a much more intense and out of control ride, whereas LSD is quite malleable and controllable until high doses when it gets pretty wild.

I'd pretty much agree with all that. I tripped on mushrooms many times before finally taking LSD, and when I did, I was pretty disappointed tbh. Mushrooms are much more spiritual and give a connectness to nature that I've never really had from LSD - though maybe I've not had enough.

I also think people's perceptions of the two are determined by which they first became familiar with.

Yes, mushrooms are definitely more sedating. However it seems that as many people find them much more likely to cause anxiety than LSD, than the opposite. That does indeed go to show how different it can be for everyone.

Now this is where I disagree. I find mushrooms very stimulating whereas LSD has often pinned me to the floor. I also get quite an uncomfortable bodyload from LSD, which coupled with it's long duration can put me on a total downer. Although I've had some heavy trips on mushrooms, at least they're over relatively quickly.

At least with mushrooms, you know what you're getting and can guage the dose from experience. 'LSD' can be anything of an unknown quantity...

fuck dmt imo, i'll take acid over shrooms but take more care for it's preperation as it lasts twice as long.

I love the hyperspace and peace that can be achieved in a dmt trip...But, it's not always like that... in fact it's usually not like that. Too often i feel my blood pressure spike and the entire surface of my body sweats, and if i'm shooting for higher doses, like 60-80mgs, i often worry if it's going to cause some physical crisis, which is not what you want to be preoccupied with during a dmt trip. but i want to meet the entities that live in my brain, and i haven't yet, not in a way that i can converse with them, not with dmt at least, so i keep trying when i can. im going to try clonidine before my next trip when i get some. im thinking that should help.

LSD is faster than the other. theres an inherent speed to it. you generally dont dwell on things as much because your being propelled forward. however you certainly can still get stuck in thoughts, usually regarding things about yourself that you need to fix. those are the hardest, yet most valuable trips.

Mushrooms/psilo are softer. its easier to fall into darkness in my opinion. but more often it's peace, bliss, and understanding.

I love the hyperspace and peace that can be achieved in a dmt trip...But, it's not always like that... in fact it's usually not like that. Too often i feel my blood pressure spike and the entire surface of my body sweats, and if i'm shooting for higher doses, like 60-80mgs, i often worry if it's going to cause some physical crisis, which is not what you want to be preoccupied with during a dmt trip. but i want to meet the entities that live in my brain, and i haven't yet, not in a way that i can converse with them, not with dmt at least, so i keep trying when i can. im going to try clonidine before my next trip when i get some. im thinking that should help.

LSD is faster than the other. theres an inherent speed to it. you generally dont dwell on things as much because your being propelled forward. however you certainly can still get stuck in thoughts, usually regarding things about yourself that you need to fix. those are the hardest, yet most valuable trips.

Mushrooms/psilo are softer. its easier to fall into darkness in my opinion. but more often it's peace, bliss, and understanding.

100% agree with all this.

I don't have a lot of experience with DMT, but the few experiences I've had have been hampered by the bodyload which as you said, is really not something you want to be preoccupied with and makes me very hesitant in the moment to take another hit (which is why I love nitrous + LSD, no jarring launch). TBF 60-80mg is way too much even for a blastoff, 30mg should be plenty if your vaporizing technique is half decent.

And yeah, LSD can go down a bad road too, but the nature of the experience allows me to not dwell on shit that I would totally get stuck on with mushrooms. LSD makes me kind of ADD, mushrooms force me to focus on things often for better or worse. Many a mushrooms trips have I been couch locked in stomach/bodyload crap stuck in negative thought patterns. Listening to music always keeps my trips moving forward.

my vaporizing technique is 6/7ths decent...lol, trust me. but one day ill talk to my inner gods, even if its a bumpy road. but for the record i more tend toward 30-40mgs on average.

and LSD is way ADD compared to psilo, i totally agree

I?ve found that bodyload is heavily effected by other impurities found after extraction. Are you guys talking like pure white/clear powder/crystals or something more yellow/orange and waxy? Usually the bodyload on the orange waxy deems is like being shredded to pieces by the carrier wave into infinity.

If you are smoking really pure DMT and still feeling this rushy overload, start with a low dose just to dip your toes then as it?s wearing off go big. This negates a lot of pre flight jitters and allows for a smoother transition but may require you use a tad bit more dosage wise to compensate for a slight transient tolerance from the earlier hit.

Other things include meditating beforehand, having the right type of music, the right lighting and setting, etc.

-GC

I?ve found that bodyload is heavily effected by other impurities found after extraction. Are you guys talking like pure white/clear powder/crystals or something more yellow/orange and waxy? Usually the bodyload on the orange waxy deems is like being shredded to pieces by the carrier wave into infinity.

If you are smoking really pure DMT and still feeling this rushy overload, start with a low dose just to dip your toes then as it?s wearing off go big. This negates a lot of pre flight jitters and allows for a smoother transition but may require you use a tad bit more dosage wise to compensate for a slight transient tolerance from the earlier hit.

Other things include meditating beforehand, having the right type of music, the right lighting and setting, etc.

-GC

Ha, yup, that's it. i was kind of assuming that was it actually. i guess i just needed some confirmation. im going to clean it and see what happens. i usually meditate for a bit before taking the hits, but i think it's the impurities. I appreciate your input

-GC

Yeah so I've only ever had the yellow/orange stuff with sub-optimal technique/device planning to try it again soon using the vape juice tek with the pure white powder