(MEGA) The Current Site Bug/Technical Issues Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now moving forward and working with people who know the technical craft of web development and not just wrecked for a living, let's create a thread to compile a list of technical issues that need fixing.

If people think of something, they can report it here and we can add it to the OP (this) post list and we can assign an issue number for site bugs, and see if we can get it sorted. It would then be infinitely easier to refer to the issues as 'bug 1' or whatever. Users can report anything they notice, and then smods and admin can feel free to update/expand this OP post as new issues arise. I really find it quite hard to keep track of the various issues when they're not catalogued. It would help if people could be very specific and state when the problem first arised and what exactly is happening etc.

Once we have resolved an issue we

Bug 1 (Critical): Cloudflare errors since May. The problem seems to effect bookmarked links and iirc was claimed to be caused by an issue with referrals not working properly... or something.
Bug 2 (Critical): Login not being remembered. Every time I come here I seem to have to login. Sometimes I go to post a message and I'm logged out. Cloudflare maybe? (Edit:I had to login again to post this, even though I was already logged in. Point proven.
Bug 3 (Moderate): HTTPS is not fully functioning, and if you access the website via https firefox/chrome gives an unsecure connection warning and limits certain parts of the website. HTTPS everywhere does not default the website to HTTPS like it should. This entire problem niggles me and is both a security issue, and it means that certain aspects are missing on HTTPS on firefox such as the buttons on the posts etc.
Bug 4 (Minor): Certain characters (currency symbols etc) showing up as question marks. This is due to an outdated character set because of our archaic version of vBulletin. It will be fixed with XenForo, because XenForo will come as standard with modern, compatible character sets. IIRC it originally started because a couple of users really wanted to use ASCII art, and the character sets were fiddled with.
Bug 5 (Minor): Editing posts on mobile deletes the post. This will be resolved when we upgrade to XenForo, as mobile browsing works absolutely fine out of the box, and it is specifically a vBulletin problem.
Bug 6 (Critical): The text formatting/buttons/smileys/post icons etc seem to be all messed up/missing, which is screwing the formatting of the website. Does anybody know roughly when this started, and if it was instantaneous? I think I was away when this started happening, so missed the discussion/people noticing.
EDIT - We have enabled the "Default vB" style, if you prefer to work within that for now (go to the bottom left of any page and there is a pulldown to choose styles. Default is out of the can, whereas all the others are derivatives of Aria and share the broken image problem. We've worked on the Aria missing images, and nearly half the smilies are back, and most of the edit buttons But you'll need to flush browser cache to get rid of the broken img thingy and have it start showing the true images again. Give it a whirl, gimme your thoughts.[/yquote
Bug 7 (Moderate): The site WiKi at http://wiki.bluelight.org is completely down and returning a 'server not found' message.

Please feel free to to chime in, I know there's more I can't think of right now.

If I miss any bugs that people contribute in the thread, please PM me and I will add them to the list.

Last edited:
I get the missing buttons and not secure warning on chrome as well.

Edit: used some technical wizardry to copy this from the first post, just to avoid confusion. TLB been tinkering again ;) x - Tranced

I still can't load the main forum index page. Is that normal? I'm having to use the actual homepage, which is no big deal. Just saying.

oh yeah, can't do the lounge either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't gotten the Cloudflare errors in a long time.
I've never had the login problem.
I do have a few broken images/buttons.

clicking on the main forum index sends me to the 404 error since yesterday. I can see most individual forums just not the index. Except the lounge. Although, I can open lounge threads through the "what's new" feature on the homepage.

Bug 2: Login not being remembered. Every time I come here I seem to have to login. Sometimes I go to post a message and I'm logged out. Cloudflare maybe? (Edit:I had to login again to post this, even though I was already logged in. Point proven.

Honestly, this is the first I've heard of this with anyone other than n00bs learning to check the 'Remember Me' box at the login prompt. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm not. But all yesterday I was getting the bluelight.org domain name not even being found and it was redirecting to one of those links sites you find when a domain has been taken offline. For almost 24 hours straight.

Seems to be working for me. Anyone else having this issue?

Oh, and icons/buttons still not loading (404s) of course.

Yep, for the last 4-5 months or so. And a right-click to open in a new tab any of the buttons at the top never works (404).

I'm not. But all yesterday I was getting the bluelight.org domain name not even being found and it was redirecting to one of those links sites you find when a domain has been taken offline. For almost 24 hours straight.

This is because the DNS information got dropped and it took several hours to come back. When DNS isn't in place to point people across the internet to the site they requested....the internet says "I cant find that site, here, buy some crap with similar wording!"

Activity tab ["What's New?"] has stopped working since the site went down (404) (http://www.bluelight.org/vb/activity.php)

Your link works for me. Anyone else? BTW, your link is the first time I've ever seen that sub-menu of options. Interesting. I'll bet half those options never worked, amirite?

I pretty much only access the site through "what's new?" (full site). It's my 2nd favourite tab after the "Check Threads You've Posted In" tab (mobile) :)

It was my go-to for spotting posts in other forums I might not normally check or, as was often the case, spambots lol.

Last edited:
I brought it up before in one of our other threads if I can find the post.

NVM I'll describe again with pictures for clarity:

Doing this on any tab/button from the top:

Z3H8UIp.png

Always causes this issue for me (sorry a 520, not 404):

fhDt4rk.png

The activity feed and 'what's new' tab is working fine for me (full site). Only the 'forums' list on Mobile version seems inaccessible. I only noticed today but it may have been glitchy for longer, I hardly ever use the mobile version. Also some buttons missing from text boxes, emojis not showing etc.

Edit: Could be the device I'm using to access the site though, it's a bit out of date.

^ whereas Ali's link actually works for me lol.

My money is on Cloudfare, poorly configured stuff at BL, a clash of the two, or maybe also in combo with the emergency database swap over in late 2017 (?) lol.

The only issue I have had recently is the missing graphics on buttons and icons. This issue is still present for me.

The only issue I have had recently is the missing graphics on buttons and icons. This issue is still present for me.

other than the temporary weird LED website issue yesterday, yeah that's the only problem I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.