• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

AUS: 'Acutely toxic' - Poo and pesticides found in e-cigarettes

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Poo, pesticides and nicotine are being inhaled by smokers of nicotine-free electronic cigarettes, a study has found.

Researchers analysed the liquid in e-cigarettes sold online and over-the-counter as nicotine-free and found 60 per cent contained the highly addictive stimulant.

All held traces of a toxic chemical - 2-chlorophenol - commonly used in insecticides, herbicides and disinfectants.

Head researcher Alexander Larcombe said he was surprised to find the toxin as it is known to irritate human airways and skin.

"It's classified as acutely toxic," Professor Larcombe said.

It is illegal in Australia to sell e-liquids which contain nicotine.

But a third of the study's samples held nicotine levels similar to vaping a low-dose nicotine e-cigarette.

"We also found other things - by-products of animal or human bodily functions - which indicates the process of making the e-liquids might not be as clean as you might hope," he said.

Ingredients commonly used to make flavouring, soaps, detergents and solvents were also found.

Prof Larcombe said most were benign food additives but their safety, when heated between 200 to 250 degrees and inhaled, was unknown.

"The real take-home message here is that people are buying these liquids unaware of what's in them, and there's no way they can tell based on what the label says," he said.

The study, published in the Medical Journal of Australia, was a collaboration between Telethon Kids Institute, Curtin University and The University of Western Australia.

Source: https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/12/25/poo-and-pesticides-found-in-ecigarettes

Buy from somewhere with a reputation and a history- that is often a decent way of reassuring yourself.

Even so, I'm pretty certain this is better than smoking tobacco :|

It's interesting that the pesticide found is thought to irritate airways, no juice I've smoked has ever done so.

Thats screwed up, that nicotine containing e-fag liquids are banned in aus. E-fags must have gotten more people off smoking than any of those patches, pills, sprays, little plastic mouthpieces that hold a wad of nicotine-impregnated cotton or something like it, and that are A-hard to draw air through at all, B-taste like shit, C-look like shit and D-don't satisfy whatsoever.

My old man and me both, have tried all manner of those options, we both used to smoke a fair bit, I ended up buying an E-fag, after trying patches, the 'inhalator', oral nicotine sprays, pills, and gum, none of them having any beneficial effect whatsoever.

But after getting the E-fag, I found myself just naturally inclined towards cutting down, without much effort at all. Now, I only smoke cigars, now and then, usually for after I've had a shot of morphine, because there is something about smoked tobacco, that isn't present with nicotine alone, that acts in synergy with opiates and makes them more euphoric, and smoked tobacco immensely satisfying as the icing on top of the cake, so to speak. I wonder if it's the presence of low levels of beta-carboline MAOIs of the harmala alkaloid family? been meaning to do some experiments along those lines.

After I got the e-fag, I kept poking my old man to go get one himself, eventually he did give it a try, and he's never looked back, hasn't smoked another cigarette since.

As far as 'chemicals used to make soaps'...well a lot of the liquids have glycerine in them, as well as propylene glycol, the sort of things added to some soaps, particularly soft or liquid soaps. That's just fear-mongering IMO.

Although I've been saying all along that glycerine oughtn't to be in e-fag juice, because glycerine can be dehydrated, causing it to undergo elimination to the alkene, prop-2-enal, or to give it it's trivial name, acrolein. Acrolein is nasty shit, it's a clear, mobile liquid with powerfully lachrymatory, irritant effects upon mucous membranes and the respiratory tract, tear gas, basically, although it isn't used as such either by the military or the filth, because it is far too toxic to be considered a nonlethal agent with any degree of reliability, and isn't very stable in storage either, polymerizing quite rapidly unless stabilized.

It can be created by burnt fats and greases, in smaller quantities, due to most animal and vegetable fats being triglyceride esters, the ester linkage being pretty easily labile, as esters are wont to be. I'd know that filthy stink and caustic, choking fumes anywhere, having synthesized and distilled some acrolein as a kid, and accidentally causing the leftovers that weren't used, to be vaporized into the kitchen, and it's definitely there when e-fag liquids containing glycerine are overheated, it's most likely to happen if there isn't much liquid left in the tank, especially if it runs out and one hasn't noticed that the fill level is low, but can happen even if it's full if the battery used is a powerful one and the heat setting is high, and a long drag is taken. That can ruin the entire fill, and need emptying out and refilling if that happens. Nasty, poisonous stuff and basically tear-gas to boot.

I make my own liquids now, and only use propylene glycol as the base, just propylene glycol, flavouring and nicotine base dissolved in PG. Since then, no more nasty choking fumes.

Nicotine gum and patches have worked for me. I stopped using any type of nicotiene containing product using the patch. I got them for free along with behavioral support from state sponsored programs. They have proved to be far less dangerous then electronic E-cigs. Reading this article along with my direct experience developing breathing problems after using an e-cig has influenced my stance on this issue.

I cold turkey stopped smoking after smoking a pack a day with my 12 - 30 tinnies a day habbit. I began smoking at 15 and gave up at 33. However I cut out booze too.

I think getting older or maturity makes you quit in the end.

Now I absolutely hate breathing in smoke and wish to myself why didn't I quit before.

The poop is simply Jenkem-flavored. Try the meatloaf.

I cold turkey stopped smoking after smoking a pack a day with my 12 - 30 tinnies a day habbit. I began smoking at 15 and gave up at 33. However I cut out booze too.

I think getting older or maturity makes you quit in the end.

Now I absolutely hate breathing in smoke and wish to myself why didn't I quit before.

Congrats! I wish you success going forward. I recently passed seven years since I quit smoking, and according to a 'fact sheet' from my family physician, the lungs take that long to 'recover'. Oh and, um, cigarette smoke now is something I find repulsive as well.

Last edited by a moderator: