• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

I can't handle stupid people anymore

I think the Fermi paradox is a pretty bad example of the title phenomenon. It's an incredibly complex question that depends on a number of factors we have to just guess at. Actual experts have come to dozens of different incompatible resolutions and nobody has any idea who is right. I don't think anyone's opinions on the Fermi paradox could make me think they were stupid unless they argued that we haven't found aliens because the Earth is flat and space doesn't exist or something.

Of course, this evolved, fiercely competitive side of us is also the reason we've been able to become the dominant species on the Earth, but I guess the question is, is this drive for more resources and more knowledge, to fight to survive in a harsh and amoral universe, inseparable from our tendencies towards violence and conflict with each other? I hope it is, but I think it's also possible it isn't.

I don't think it's necessarily that bad to live in a world where people aren't always nice. People like to set up this dichotomy, like, will we achieve a totally unified pacifist communist Star Trek future or will the universe be ruled by eternal war and oppression? The truth is probably somewhere in between. Cyberpunk is more interesting than space fantasy anyway.

I agree that the truth is going to be somewhere in between, I just think we need to make some progress from where we're at now towards the less selfish side of behavior, since said behavior is causing both environmental catastrophe and large amounts of unnecessary suffering. We're at a place now, in many cultures (I think of my own in particular), where it's considered completely normal and acceptable to not consider others in your decisions and behaviors, where corporate entities are completely expected to pillage everything to maximize profit. I do hope we can dial that back, and I think as a society we are going to have to if we want to succeed in being able to survive long-term and/or spread out from Earth. We need to stop putting convenience and short-term gain in front of the betterment and long-term survival of humanity. To hearken back to the original point of this thread, that is stupid. :)

But yes, I don't think it's realistic to expect us to ever reach a place where there isn't suffering, crime, etc.

I don't think it's necessarily that bad to live in a world where people aren't always nice. People like to set up this dichotomy, like, will we achieve a totally unified pacifist communist Star Trek future or will the universe be ruled by eternal war and oppression? The truth is probably somewhere in between. Cyberpunk is more interesting than space fantasy anyway.
"Nice" is a somewhat loaded term nowadays I think. I think in general we should always be striving towards a world with less suffering and more joyful life (so no easy solutions like the painless extermination of all sentient life to quickly meet the "zero suffering" criteria ;)).

Cyberpunk might be more interesting, but in reality if I lived in some sci-fi society where tech was pretty cool but a sizable chunk of society were still oppressed, ignorant, or more likely to suffer violent death, I'd still feel that we should try to understand why there were still people living these seemingly less desirable lives, and ultimately make it so that this happened less.

I guess that my question would be better posed as, is our innate human drive for more knowledge and resources, as far as it makes us able and willing to preserve and if possible create more love and joy in our lives, inseparable from the tendencies that cause us to inflict suffering on other sentient life, willingly or not?

Or, perhaps, even better - is it possible to create a society where no-one suffers, without it also being a society where we all live identical lives as emotionless drones?

I don't mean to set up any kind of dichotomy here, and neither of the extreme options in such a dichotomy look desirable to me. What seems preferable for the future of humankind is that we can have our cake of all the advantages of super-advanced-technology in the most fantastical utopian scenario we can imagine, and eat it too, without also destroying everything unique and special about being human, and without any of this "unique and special" stuff including inflicting extreme involuntary suffering on others.

...I will concur though, all that said, that I concede that realistically it's probably never going to be possible for the whole of human society to be a utopia, especially if we do manage to spread out beyond the Earth because of the significant challenges in maintaining a cohesive society the larger it grows. I think that it should be possible for smaller units of that society to be quite utopia-esque however, hopefully in future a region as small as a single planet should be child's play. ;) Either way, I think it's a good ideal to bear in mind, because the universe itself will always be a willing and ever present adversary, hell-bent on destroying us when we least expect it and in a way that we least expect.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if it would take an encounter with a hostile alien species to pull all of humanity together and stop seeing ourselves as separate groups based on country, ethnicity, or whatever. Or even if not hostile, but we were just part of some galactic federation, would we see another of our kind and all we'd see is "a fellow human!"

I think a lot of human suffering stems from the us vs them mentality we always seem to jump to, where we draw lines of distinction between cultures and tend to trust and value only our own group. There is a big movement around the world today to push backwards, towards nationalism and isolationism. People who argue for that say it would make the world more peaceful because cultures can't mix successfully, but I would argue that globalization and intermixing are maybe the only way we will ever begin to see ourselves as all one people, even though it will cause some conflicts early on. The push back against it is the opposite force against this process starting. We haven't been a globalized society for very long yet... hopefully in time, we can accept it.

^ Yeah, no doubt that's true. Obviously there are causal reasons for everything but, bringing it back to the thread topic, it's definitely hard not to see people who hold very nationalist, separatist views as frustratingly short-sighted and small minded... I mean, if we are still around in 1000 years, realistically who is gonna care what specific part of rock poking out of the ocean your ancestors just happened to be born? But for some people it's like there just isn't anything more important. Frustrating for sure... but except as a motivator for action, frustration is an emotion with little value.

Tribalism is an evolutionary mechanism (e.g, protect territory, ensure sufficient food supply) that might kill off our species because we can't get together and do anything about the environment (e.g., plastic everywhere, air pollution, climate change).

I don't mean to seem cold, but once the dinosaurs ruled. Perhaps the octopuses will do better.

Im 100% with you. I work for Fire/Rescue and all I deal with is stupid people... Ive only been a Firefighter/Paramedic for about 5 years and im already burned out. I legit dont know if I can go another 15-20 years of this. If it weren't for the retirement system we have here, I would have got another job by now lol

I completely got into this job by accident. I originally joined the Navy with a SEAL contract (after training with former Special Operations guys for 4 years). 5 months into the Navy, I started having seizures and was kicked out. My back-up job was 'Firefighter" if I couldnt make the SEAL Teams, so I figured that would be a pretty cool job to have... that thought quickly faded away.

For example... Someone dialed 911 for "non-traumatic toe pain". She was a 19-year-old girl who said its been hurting for a few days... You do NOT dial 911 for that.

I enjoyed this read from poster. I can relate to this. I can be a considerably stupid person but not like this. It's exactly why I am trying to grasp the concept of forums, i hate ppl so much I can't handle interactive situations on a daily basis. "News" is all fucked. The government is corrupt to say the least so what's the point of even watching it, knowing they're all greedy, bloodsucking, parasitic filth? Sadly, media/the "top 40s" bullshit they call music/social networking(exclude forums)/government/dumb parents/religion/etc is making this generation into a bunch of pussies wearing skinny jeans than the females,14 year old girls look like they are 20 and more experience than most of us when we were 20; I hate all of it so much. Oh and I hate the "me too" fuck heads, sheep like manor in hearding together with no excuse to be in this category cause they're old af or not considered to be relevant to this generation but because they are too dumb to come into their own or speak for them self.
... Hmm yep that feels better ?
I think in just this is all spawned from horrible traits that humans seem to carry all too often, mostly the ones in power, of wealth/fame....
Greed, EGO *《《《I HATE ESPECIALLY*, arrogance, inconsequential and illogical thinking, real live humans dwelling in an eternal oblivion, ignorance but not in innocence rather just not caring enough to do something about this lack of knowledge , not caring about what happens to the world after their gone.... I guess simply not giving a fuck. This list would go on forever.

Maybe some of those 'stupid' people are more clever than you and just act stupid all the time to hide their intellect I used to act stupid a lot in school and some things I said would have people in uproar cuz of how stupid it is I think some people just like saying stupid things and getting a reaction out of people as well

Stupid people are harmless I'd say, unless they are judgemental. I don't like judgmental people who are also stupid. The master knows he is stupid. Therefore, he is not stupid. After all, the greatest intelligence seems stupid, because it assumes nothing and makes no faulty and hasty presumptions. I like playing the dumb card a lot. Go ahead, underestimate me. ;)

I don't have a problem with people who are stupid and can't help it. I also don't exactly have a problem with people who play dumb in certain situations. I also know the difference between a stupid person, and a person who is innocently exploring without making assumptions. It actually takes intelligence and inner work to return to innocence as an adult.

My problem is with people who knowingly cling to their stupidity because it furthers their denial/comfort zone, it lets them retain their power over people or a situation, or they just want to crush their ideological enemies. Also, increasingly, people who just want to be "right" are a pain. It's like... ok, go be right, I don't care.

Stupid people do stupid things
Smart people outsmart each other
Then themselves, then themselves

-SOAD

This is how people become indecent and commit murders, when they get so angry at how stupid some people are that they just want the madness to stop.
Isn't anger and murder colors of madness? Seems you're on the brink of madness yourself with so much anger and fixation on the stupids. What happened to live and let live? Easy chief! Inhale.....exhale..... You say the stupids wont stfu, I agree. They do tend to rattle on and on, don't they!? Funny thing is, most of em don't even know they are one of them.....

I hate people who always are right why would you want everyone to tell you what you want to hear I do not.care or in not right I want to know though and I will see where I went wrong and try to improve myself in that area seems like the only logical thing to do to me

Stupid people do stupid things
Smart people outsmart each other

-SOAD

Touche.

Isn't anger and murder colors of madness? Seems you're on the brink of madness yourself with so much anger and fixation on the stupids. What happened to live and let live? Easy chief! Inhale.....exhale..... You say the stupids wont stfu, I agree. They do tend to rattle on and on, don't they!? Funny thing is, most of em don't even know they are one of them.....

As I already said... stupid people don't matter to me, except when they wield power that can affect my life. I'm not fixated on them, but I am noticing that planet Earth is becoming an increasingly difficult place to live thanks to stupid people destroying peace and the planet.

Thanks to social media and political saturation, people are spouting off their opinions 24/7 now. As I work in a job that involves the general public, I have to deal with these people.

My original question is... do I combat ignorance, or do I just let the world burn and work on myself? I am noticing that people aren't open to being taught useful information. They only want to hear what reinforces their narrow view of the way the world works because it keeps them in an idyllic little comfort zone.

I hate people who always are right why would you want everyone to tell you what you want to hear I do not.care or in not right I want to know though and I will see where I went wrong and try to improve myself in that area seems like the only logical thing to do to me

It's not about right or wrong. It's about stupid/ignorant vs. intelligent. Ignorance is destroying the planet and willful ignorance even more so. There is a clear trend of anti-intellectualism happening, created by an economic oligarchy that wants to profit off of keeping people stupid. Of course, stupid people don't realize this.

I wouldn't mind if a deadly epidemic could somehow selectively target the willfully ignorant and wipe them out. The world would be a better place.

My original question is... do I combat ignorance, or do I just let the world burn and work on myself? I am noticing that people aren't open to being taught useful information. They only want to hear what reinforces their narrow view of the way the world works because it keeps them in an idyllic little comfort zone.

I find that the best thing to do is work on yourself, and do what you can with those willing to listen in terms of combating willful ignorance. For example, my friend's two kids are 8 and 10 years old. They're so smart and whenever I'm around them I do my best to try to impart wisdom and knowledge to them, and they want to listen and they soak it up and it's great. But most people don't want to hear that kind of stuff most of the time, so there's no use trying to ram it down their throats.

It's difficult to ignore what's going on in the world, and I wouldn't say I ignore it, but I do try to minimize its prevalence in my thought process because all it does it make me a worse person when I start getting all angry and bitter about it.

So, what makes someone "stupid". How does one define stupid -I know its subjective. However, when is it dysfunction or, is it callousness, or is it an intellectual disability, or what? I'm guessing the OP is referring to a Zeitgeist but what creates this?

^ Thanks for that WR. Clouds have parted -understanding ensues! :)

...but...but what if Forrest Gumps Mother is stupid -wtf, what happens?!!! What do we do? How do we define it?

What is it?

* Ive seen some horrible thing but that fish dying always ...ugh. Maybe that's, "stupid". My alliance is with less evolved vertebrates...the shame.

Last edited: