• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Gabapentinoids weirdly blocking butanediol effect?!

Pomzazed

Bluelighter
First off, this is purely anecdotal.
Secondly, it is not a good idea to mix depressants, but well... Gotto ask now as I cannot 'block the curiosity' anymore.

From personal experience, which has been repeated for like 5 times separately by months or years.
If I take gabapentin (3g, staggering dose) or pregabalin (450mg) cocommittantly or before taking 2-3g of 1,4-butanediol;
not only the effect were "dulled off", Let's say some of the facet of the effect of the butanediol itself (the part which is separated from GHB effects) are mostly eliminated.
This does not mean it lowers the depressant effect of butanediol, but the "wobbly" feeling are never presents doing so.

At first i noticed it and thought it was just a fluke, but the more trial the more confident that it is not the case. This actually can be replicated.
However due to low population size (n=1) this cannot be said anything, plus I will never suggest anyone to "try mixing these depressant together", to risky and not HR at all.

-Gabapentinoids seems not to lower the effect of GBL or GHB, only the 14B as the effects I speak of are separated from it.
-They still seems to stack with ethanol effect.

There are also interesting data to be noted:

1. despite gabapentinoids are said not to be a GABA agonist or GABA allosteric modulators from most study, and said the effect is mediated by being a2d1 Ca++ channel blocker,
the similar structural-class (3-position of gaba substituted by a hydrophobic alkyl or aryl group with similar size) are well known to be a GABAB agonists (say, Phenibut and Baclofen)
Some study found that Gabapentin exerts some activity on some subtype of (presynaptic)GABAB receptors (see, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1535-7597.2005.05210.x)

2. if one have use/abuse high dose of Gabapentin (at the range of 20g+); they are likely to know that there are some unique effect that cannot be replicated with pregabalin,
Let's say; the mixed-stimulant/mildly opioid-type feeling that alleviates anxiety, but NOT the main anxiety liftaway or eye-defocusing nor heart-palpitating effect of the two.
In this case pushing higher dose of pregabalin seems to potentiate side effect of those but the gabap-effect are never shown a glimpse,
is this because of another mechanism besides a2d1Ca++ blocking effect that comes into play?
Gabapentin is KNCQ3 and KNCQ5 potassium-channel ligands, but not pregabalin, and this activation is known for providing anxiolytic effects (see, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1124/mol.118.112953)

There may be other not-yet discovered mechanisms that comes into play

Any studies on this?