• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Looking for Advice on Cannabis Addiction

Miketheg

Greenlighter
I am 17 years old and I have been smoking cartridges for a little less than a year now almost daily. It started as a weekend only thing but carts leave no smell and are extremely convenient which allowed me to make it a daily habit. Carts also have an extremely high THC content (most range from 50-90 percent) which also doesn't help. Now every time I don't smoke I have literally zero appetite and I cannot sleep at all. On top of that it has made my anxiety 10x worse than it already was (I already struggled with anxiety issues before smoking). Now i'm super scared, I have no idea what to do, I don't want to ask for help from my parents because of the backlash I would get from them because they don't even understand what weed does and still think weed is in the same realm as meth. I have been losing a lot of weight because now the anxiety makes it so I cannot eat anything whatsoever whether i'm high or not. So recently i started to use xanax to get rid of the anxiety so i can eat and sleep but i really don't want to create a xanax addiction because I know that it will be much worse than what i'm going through right now. I'm just very confused, scared, and lost right now and need some help. Has anyone else gone through something similar to this that could maybe give me some advice on how to get my life back on track?Thanks.

Stop using weed. It can't possibly be so complicated to just stop going out and buying weed. If you made the post here you know you have a problem, so stop using weed. Maybe sounds harsh, but it's not. If you're not just going to straight up quit you're probably going to fail. The most successful way to quit the vast majority of addictive substances is cold turkey.

You're not going to have a horrible time and want to kill yourself or something, you'll feel great after 1 day and absolutely amazing after another day or two. There's no horrible withdrawal period. Just stop. That's your best hope. Don't make this some big deal where you have to go all over the place and ask all kinds of people for help. Do it for yourself, right now.

Miketheg - I'd quit the Xanax before you get into a habit, and slowly taper off the weed.

Do things to distract yourself from the cravings - video games, go for a walk, work out, talk to someone supportive.

Don't strain yourself with thinking about the high - remember the good times you had when you were sober.

Being sober puts you in your absolute best state of mind. Maybe the not most fun, or easiest, but the most realistic.

Be good.

Weed withdrawal is real. I have gone through it three times. The good news is that it will pass. You just need to accept the discomfort for a week or two. Anxiety, temp changes, loss of appetite, and insomnia are my complaints. Distraction is huge. Swim if you can find an indoor pool. Otherwise take lots of showers. Taking Xanax can be a problem. If your anxiety is truly awful, take a half dose just at night but stop in a week. The worst will be over by then. The cartridges aren't worth the quick tolerance they promote. Good luck. Walk away from all this shit while you can.

Hey I really want to help. I am about twice your age and was the same way. Man... I ended up smoking an ounce a week at least and actually pounds upon pounds later in life. You have an addictive personality. I developed heroin and xanax addictions I never ever thought would happen to me. Started getting a lot of panic attacks too. If you don't stop smoking weed bro then weed is gonna stop you. You have disrespected the plant and need to quit at least for a few years and this is also because you are a little younger (just saying) - your brain is developing and I believe that puts you at greater risk of triggering something.

You could end up with a panic attack disorder like not even from the THC just the way it is affecting you.

I cannot eat or sleep without weed either. At all. It takes weeks to get my appetite back and I lose SO much weight because I cannot sleep a wink either. Cold turkey heavy weed addiction is basically like one tapering drop off xanax except it isn't life threatening and doesn't take years to quit.

You need to quit while you are ahead and figure out what is going on that is making you nervous. Paranoia is a side effect of weed, keep in mind. So it can be complicated to man it might be helping you in ways (I'm sure it is) but then you are already getting side effects what will smoking weed be like for you 10 years from now at this rate? It gets WAY harder to quit if you never take breaks or moderate your use.

I think that you should try to cut back. The first thing to do is make rules for yourself. My rule is to not smoke first thing in the morning anymore, even if it means skipping breakfast and having a late lunch. That alone will really help you and also cut back on the cravings as you will be getting used to being 'sober' again at times. I don't think you should quit cold turkey when you already have anxiety man it could drive you insane like actually. Also be VERY careful with the xanax but unfortunately you already made the mistake of trying it. I started on 0.5mg 2x daily. Ended on 24mg daily 6 years later. They do not work long term and you can get so addicted you can fucking die coming off them. I have to work very closely with professionals to quit. Seriously it's just not worth whatever relief you are getting from them man.

You need to talk to a professional as well. A psychiatrist possibly or ideally a therapist or psychologist because they won't be able to prescribe you fucked up shit, just help you figure out what's wrong and how to cope with it without so much weed. I am doing this too just ten years too late. Don't wait. Something is wrong. Tell your family man people really appreciate honesty. Don't wait to get caught with a weed addiction. Just tell them you have been having extreme anxiety, started smoking a little pot because you didn't know what else to do, and think you need professional help. Man, once you do that you will feel so much better with someone watching over you. Just find a smart, compassionate doctor because they can be manipulative and deceiving.

I think you know what to do though, at least for a while. Start by trying not to smoke until as late in the day as you can, but also, take it easy because you are already stressed and if you stress yourself out too much just like quitting weed totally or however you do man you could have a mental breakdown. I sense the anxiety. Chill, take it easy, smoke less pot, come clean with your family it isn't heroin for fucks sake, and start getting professional help before you end up worse. The stress will continuously worsen your health. Just don't want to see shit like this happen to anyone else when I was 17 I didn't even know weed could fuck with your sleep or appetite. I assumed it was non-addictive leading me to smoke it all day and I still can't quit and I'm 30 now. I quit for 3 years, and the day I took my first puff again I just haven't put it down. You need to talk to someone about this not just here. I know it's hard to hear or can be it has been for me with these serious addictions (not that yours isn't, this is very serious in my opinion).

You are still young and that is great but you don't have all the time in the world and do you really want to still be like this but possibly worse a year or two from now? Think things through, don't do anything drastic or impulsive and make sure it is your own decision you are making here. We can only advise you with different perspectives and you know yourself best.

This isn't a laughing matter when a confused pothead is coming here asking advice about a heavy weed habit and about what to do in general. Especially when mental health issues are most likely implicated as well. The dude is working through stuff that sounds like shit to me and sounds like there are the usual family problems too when this happens. I am very stoned and did not find that funny in the slightest.

You'll probably get more helpful replies in The Dark Side or Sober Living.

With weed, it's more of a mental battle than physical when compared to drugs like opioids, but there can be some minor physical withdrawal as the endocannabinoid system plays a role in a lot of daily function, namely hunger and sleep. Anxiety could also have physiological causes relating to cannabis use. Most of these symptoms can be easily combated with physical exercise(running, strenuous physical work, lifting weights, etc) and allowing the body time to heal(sleep and appetite "normalize" in a matter of weeks if not days, usually within a week).

The harder thing to address is your thinking. There are hidden justifiers that only seem apparent in the moment. Little errors in your thinking that lead you to believe that you MUST use. Some people call these triggers. Ultimately they are lies that you believe that enables the addiction to continue. Things like fears that you won't be able to regulate or control your emotions without the drug- yes it may be more difficult at first, but how do you know you can't develop the ability if you never go without?

The harder thing to address is your thinking. There are hidden justifiers that only seem apparent in the moment. Little errors in your thinking that lead you to believe that you MUST use. Some people call these triggers. Ultimately they are lies that you believe that enables the addiction to continue. Things like fears that you won't be able to regulate or control your emotions without the drug- yes it may be more difficult at first, but how do you know you can't develop the ability if you never go without?

Agree with this, yesterday something REALLY pissed me off, and that was the closest I ever came to going back to weed. I wasn't really in any danger of going back because I am totally committed to my break, but still it was the closest I got to breaking my break since I started it a week and a half ago. I just kept telling myself that I definitely don't actually NEED it, and if I did break my break, I would just end up feeling much worse long term and even if I could get an hour of happiness out of it, it wouldn't be worth it.

Emotions are perhaps the biggest issue to combat, continuous use of marijuana keeps you in a mild state of disassociation from your emotions. Sometimes you may think you should be angry but it seems like too much bother so you just don't, or something occurs at work or in a relationship that would normally make you upset but due to marijuana use you don't really allow the negative emotion to stick and just let thing pass. Once you stop using all those little nitpicking issues will get under your skin easily and you may find your self resenting others or the situation you are working in.

Learning how to handle these feelings without the assistance of marijuana can be a mine field. The biggest decision you will need to make is the one you make for yourself before you stop, mean it. Every year I take a break and I mean it. I don't break out of fear but just to be certain I am truly in a place I want to be and not in a bad spot or bad job that I am only keeping because changing seems like too big a bother. While using, work seems fine but when you stop everyone is an asshole and you're not paid enough. Realize these thoughts will occur and you really need to be able to look at things objectively. Don't let little things become big mental hangups.

For me meditation is key. I wake an hour early and center myself before I go meet the world, if I don't I'm really the asshole at work, I am just unaware of it.

Edit: I am currently one week into a break and today I started negotiations to switch jobs, mostly tiny issues, had I not been on a break I would just stay happily where I was. I use because of ADHD and in this week off I am feeling the full effects of the rapid decision making and life changing choices ADHD has been responsible for most of my life.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, for your helpful replies. I have been sober for a little over a week now. The first few days were pretty bad I had a lot of anxiety, depression, anger and irritability I couldn't sleep or eat at all and I had to stay home from school. Now I feel much better but of course my fucking girlfriend broke up with me right when this happened which made this even shittier for me. Other than that though, I feel better and I can actually sleep and I can eat now at least better than I could, I still get full very easily it seems. The only issue I see in the future is staying off the shit, I can see myself at a party or something and letting my temptations consume me.

But minimal and or sporadic use does just the opposite...

I think depending in the mental state of the user that varies a lot. Once you have had the long days of self realization and begun to wake up a lot of emotional issues simply become irrelevant. But to say anyone will have the same experience is like trying to find matching snowflakes. If you have some unidentified baggage weed will bring it all to the surface with or without your doctor's advice. If you get anxiety and stop before you get to know yourself better even sporadic use will retrigger that process.

Personally I stopped for 3 months and then began again knowing I was in for a "mental douch". I didn't stop for a year and a half and now just a week or two every year to see how much of what has changed sticks around. I would say I went a insane for a while simply because my whole world view changed. Now it fits my experience as opposed to trying to make my experience fit my beliefs.

Edit. Way too baked.....

Last edited:
Man these posts are wicked, the last few. I like when I can relate to subtleties and nuances of cannabis and associated strains, help me confirm for myself that my thinkin is right about the dope. The withdrawal is not subtle. It can be viciously brutal, in fact, and last a long time. I have even experienced post-acute withdrawal symptoms come back 9 months later.

I quit for 3 years in my 20's, and it took 6 months to feel anything close to normal. I vomited at least 15 times while detoxing too, lost weight as fast as I do in benzo withdrawal, and didn't sleep for I don't even know how long. Long enough to need an anti-psychotic for a bit. I was unable to eat even fruit at one point. It was also so stressful that I developed a long term panic attack disorder. It is often best to cut back as slow as possible while accepting you are a pothead for the time being. This way, the weed will slowly start working better, have less side effects, and you'll feel rewarded. Weed only really fucks my life up if I smoke it any more frequently then a toke every 4 - 6 hours or so and keep it out of my mind the rest of the time. Like next time you want to smoke, try smoking an hour later. If you have friends who blaze they will have to get out of your life for a while and will never really be safe to be around again, or you could make it a rule to only smoke socially (although if you are like me and many others, I prefer to smoke alone).

Don't smoke if you are already high or were high recently. Watch your diet, you will have to change it. Stuff like complex carbohydrates are out of the question for me if I try to stop (I am trying, and keep messing up, to cut back at the moment at least so I only smoke 3 times a day)

Everyone will have a different experience, in fact I have personally had different reactions over my life depending on circumstances. There have been times when I have had to completely quit because of side effects. There have even been times when I dabbed non-stop, including 99% THC, smoked blunts, and had very minimal withdrawal, a few days of being cranky. There are times when I smoke too much weed and get in that haze which is nice but I never get anything done. There are times when cannabis, like it does these days, motivates me - and I feel stupid if I'm not stoned. It took me way too long to learn how to use it in a way that works for me, but now I figured it out. Bong. Straight up. Bong. The heaviest bong toke I can take, but spaced out as long I can from the last. In a healthy state of body and mind. This helps me quit as I get so high I won't chase it and it doesn't set any standards for the day.

Advice? FUCK the xanax man NEVER take it again EVER. That shit is the devil. I swear to you I'd be putting heroin in my arm instead if I could but the xanax you can get so addicted so fast that it will literally kill you if you don't take it. And you are a prime candidate, already being addicted to weed and having anxiety issues.

Just cut back on the dope. Smoke less? You clearly enjoy it. The problems are coming from you, not the weed. If you allow yourself to be less frequently stoned, your reaction with weed will change and you will be less dependent on it. Much easier said than done. If you are 17 though, if I were you I would honestly just quit smoking weed completely for the rest of my life. That is what I would do, and what I regret not doing many years later. It just totally interfered with my life in so many ways because I refused to put it down until people stopped giving me shit over it now I at least consider it, but keep relapsing so I will be blazing for life that is for certain. I have not ran out since 2 September's ago.

I regret going back. I love weed don't get me wrong. I have some beautiful outdoor right now too! If you are 17 as a 30 year old who started at 15, I highly recommend that you quit cold turkey and never look back if you can handle it without any xanax. Seriously. Do NOT fuck the xanax that is the only thing that is absolutely necessary to say here. That shit will slowly destroy your whole entire life and leave you feeling twice your age by the time you're 25.

Quit while you're ahead. You are already getting into xanax at a young age and in my opinion that is a disaster waiting to happen. Weed cannot ruin your life unless you allow it to. Benzos, even if you want to quit, result in literal FATALITIES from regular doses. They also take you on and off them like a toy. Never, ever trust a doctor unless I guess they are writing you 3 grams a day.

Last edited:
Shroomy your insights have hit me right in the empathy receptors, everything you said somewhat if not fully resonates with me. I will try to quit and not look back, but man it's hard when your life is boring as hell, you have 0, ZERO friends, and you're in school stuck with a major you hate and I don't have the money to change majors and redo at this point. My life is so sad I honestly don't know how I've managed to keep from offing myself 30 times already.

People talk about getting swept away in the party culture, but what about the people buried by loneliness and lack of reassurance from anyone who isn't their mom. Trust me I'm not cocky at all, but I'm an attractive kid, nice hair, decent muscles, low body fat, 5'11, but I have no friends let alone girls around. This leads me to believe whats on the inside of me is so hideous, even the sluts want nothing to do with me, even the attention hungry guys can't put up with me or are not amused by me. I must be shit because no one fucks with me.

This is why I smoke weed everyday, it's the only thing that makes me feel good all day. I walk alone but smile slightly because I know I can just smoke and feel content with my day, Im not an awful student but school brings me no satisfaction whatsoever. I need weed to make me feel SOMETHING ANYTHING or else I might (exaggerating here) completely dissociate from feeling nothing for too long.

Stop now a year is nothing I didnt get properly addicted mentally till like 4 years.
Blaze at the weekends.

Focus on school wish i did now im a cannabis benzo and opiate addict , i suffer from fibromyalgia and had mood disorder all my life but now it is bipolar type 2 not just from cannabis but it didnt help smoking 3.5grams a day.

Yeah in situations with girl problems smoking a lot of pot using doesn't help cause it's anxiety related. I don't get shit and I'm at the prime of my life it really should not be a problem I don't even really have to try. Can't though. Some sort of energy blockage. I still blaze all day and always will.