• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Valium Tolerance Reset

Yeah i wasnt expecting ashwaganda as a substitute but thought id give it a try. What do you suggest a substitute?

Why are you taking Xanax/what effects are you seeking? Though I react normally to all the other benzos, I have a really unusual response to Xanax (it basically is very stimulating & gives me a panic attack), so try to be specific & detailed since I don't know how it's supposed to feel - though I would guess maybe like lorazepam/Ativan, which for me eradicates anxiety but has no other apparent effects, good or bad.

Have you tried ADs? I really recommend SSRIs for anxiety - though you have to find the right one. I had great luck on Prozac for my OCD. But how does your anxiety present?

I've tried numerous Ad's and none seem to do jack except take away my libido. You recommend a substitute for xanax or any benzo?

You might just need to find the right one. I had a horrible reaction to Zoloft. It's definitely trial & error. I honestly think Prozac is the best for most people, who are not prone to mania or insomnia.

I don't think there are any substitutes for GABAergics. Especially not a very strong one like Xanax. If only the strongest one works for you...probably you're out of luck. Like me & Valium.

A month? Cos I n?ed the anxiolytic effects to come back at the least. Yesterday i took 16mg and i had anxiolytic effect. Today i took 40mg with no effect just sleepy so i don't know what's going on

Those are crazy high doses. You need to taper down & take a longer break, or at least only take it every 3rd day for a while. Technically any time off will reduce tolerance, but at such high doses, the effect of one day off will be negligible.

Last edited:
The large 40mg dose was just a once off. So would one month off be enough?

I would think so. Possibly 2wks since it's so short acting. Everyone rebounds at different rates. I'd try at 2wks and see if 1mg works. If not, go another 2 weeks. Then I would try to use only every 2-3days, or as infrequently as possible.

18mg is a huge dose. I figured 40mg was just a one off. The waste of it kills me!

12mg is my usual dose. Would it still take two weeks to get a reduction in tolerance?

I know. It took about a year to get there from my hazy memory, but I don't want to go back to 12mg I want to go back to 6mg which was my original dose.

Gotcha. Well I'd try to get down to your lowest effective dose & STAY there, either by varying your dose like I do with my Valium, &/or taking breaks. Good luck!