• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Opioid addiction and individual differences in onset.

Well, you know where that class sprang from and TBH I wasn't too keen. That people were eating it horrified me! Would you like to guess that the Lazy French refused the make the phosphate even though it had decent solubility? If not, lucky you, they insisted they couldn't make the N-isopropyl (the real winner - it was MXE good) because they were forming the enamine thermally so low BP amines wouldn't work.... or was that just an excuse? Now is it just me, or aren't their several really obvious alternatives here? I never even tried the others, wasn't even sent a sample. I can only presume they have vast amounts of precursors and didn't want something better leaving them stuck with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there a method for slowing down opioid tolerance development by taking microdoses of naloxone with morphine or other agonist? The Wiki article says that ketamine is a mu antagonist with very low affinity, maybe it could have the same paradoxical effect.

Wait - ketamine's an opioid antagonist??

Just know that with DXM some data suggests that DXM's a very weak agonist and DXO a weak antagonist, while other papers say both are agonists, so ...

Naloxone/naltrexone are inverse agonists, not plain antagonists. Don't know the relevance of this though. Just that naloxone made me feeling super weird and falling into tears while being opioid naive, so there's something about it.

Codeine seems to really get me a lot more high than usual today, after taking DXM yesterday and the day before that, so I think the dissociatives really do reverse tolerance to opiates. But I need to get the fuck off these drugs soon before I get in trouble because of them...

It's been a while since anyone's posted in this thread, but here's an actual reference about how a mutation in the mu opioid receptor can alter the tolerance development and the likelihood of addiction:

M. Thompson, W. Burnham, D. Cole, "THE G PROTEIN-COUPLED RECEPTORS: Pharmacogenetics and Disease", Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 42(4):311–392 (2005)

On page 340-341 it is said that

There is evidence that addiction has a genetic component. The μ opioid receptor, in particular, has been studied in relation to opioid addiction, not
only because it is an opioid drug target but also because opioid neurons have been implicated in other addictions such as alcohol dependence.

Of the coding μ opioid receptor variants, the Asn40Asp, Asn152Asp, His260Arg, His265Arg and Ser268Pro SNPs have been subjected to intensive study both pharmacologically and genetically. For example, while the Asn40Asp and Asn152Asp variants have thus far not been associated with addiction, they have properties that are distinct from the wild-type. These variants encode receptors that bind the natural β-endorphin ligand with four-fold higher affinity and appear to be trafficked to the cell membrane at reduced levels compared with the wild-type. These variants are of pharmacogenetic interest because they may alter the efficacy of some opioid compounds. Through disruption of another pathway, the Ser268Pro variant, but not the His260Arg or His265Arg variants of the μ opioid receptor, results in diminished receptor desensitization. This may result from the loss of a calmodulin kinase II site required to maintain a basal level of receptor signalling. The effect of the Ser268Pro variant may be attributable to elimination of the competition that normally exists between binding of the receptor to calmodulin kinase or the Gi/Go protein. The 268 Pro receptor variant is therefore more frequently found in the active conformation necessary for ligand binding. This may allow it to play a role in predisposition to addiction, since people expressing the receptor variant are predicted to have an altered tolerance for opioid ligands. The low frequency of the variant, even among addicted individuals, however, may limit its genetic significance.

In view of the failure to identify a single variant that is clearly associated with addiction, a pharmacogenomic approach may be the best approach to identify variant genes disrupting portions of opioid signalling. A study of μ opioid receptor genotypes resulted in the identification of a haplotype comprised of two coding SNPs, Ala6Val and Asp40Asn, that may be more frequent among opiate addicts of African-American descent, although this has not yet been replicated.

I've been on opioids (morphine/methadone, up to 420/60mg/d respectively) for most of the last 2 years and before that, maybe 6 months on buprenorphine 1-4mg/d without developing real physical tolerance or withdrawal, but very probably it's due to my penchant for dissociatives as NMDA antags are known for their tolerance inhibiting effects in regards to opioids. Nocebo certainly plays a role too, if one'd rushed into w/d repeatedly and builds up a fear against it, then this fear will worsen the withdrawals just by itself..

But as you say, the point is not to push things too far ... I did, on the disso lane, as I got away with so much I began to do more exotic combos and finally caught psychosis. I regret.
I’m curious about the developed psychosis. What is it like?