• Psychedelic Medicine

SAN PEDRO | +40 articles

mr peabody

Bluelight Crew
San-Pedro-in-flower-Hummingbird-Retreat.jpg

San Pedro, cactus of peace and vision

There is something special about making time in one's life for self-discovery, healing and transformation. We were drinking the consciousness altering liquid made from the San Pedro cactus, Huachuma, native to the Andes Mountains of South America, a powerful healing sacrament used in rituals and ceremonies for thousands of years. I recently returned from spending time away, working with this magical plant on sacred Aboriginal lands.

In the first two ceremonies, the cactus guided me through deep states of presence, meditation, and contemplation. They were incredibly peaceful, beautiful journeys. I could focus on and separate the various vibrations of sound, like the chime of a bell, into their own separate layers of auditory dimension, as they rippled through the airwaves. I felt a deep level of connection to nature through being amongst the trees, grass, birds, sky, clouds and mountains, not just observing myself in nature, but feeling that my energy was one with everything around me, and that nature could sense me as a separate being - part of an inter-connected web of related energy.

There were prolonged states of deeply calm and peaceful meditation, focusing solely on the inhalation and exhalation of breath. With my eyes closed, I saw green and yellow neon-like colors grow and bubble up. Hexagonal honeycomb patterns shifted and rearranged behind my closed eyelids while lattice tunnel-like spirals emanated in and out of vision.

I sensed the presence of other beings. I could see and feel these beings as aboriginal elders and their community watching over us. My experience was far beyond my capacity to articulate, and these altered sensory elements gave rise to fascinating philosophical and contemplative thoughts about consciousness and the nature of reality.

But the real gifts are how these sacred medicines seem to have the power of opening us up to want to live better lives. During my experience I pondered deeply about the meaning, purpose, fulfillment, and integrity, of my message to the world. I reflected on how these sacred healing plant teachers and shamanic medicines have helped me reclaim my life, allowing me to do some seriously transformative, sometimes confronting, incredibly challenging deep inner work.

In my last journey, San Pedro opened doors for me to a much deeper experience and understanding of what this medicine is capable of. It felt like living a lifetime in a single day. It was as though a force beyond myself called me over to drink another cup of medicine; as if the cactus itself knew that I was to be guided into a much deeper journey. This lasted for many hours, and I sensed I was receiving deep cleansing and healing at a cellular level, and that this deep healing extended beyond my own sense of self, and on some level, permeated those near me. A new path of healing opened up, or rather, I realized the depth of healing that still needs to take place.

Somewhere along way, I found I could look into my eyes and see the entirety of my past and future at once - myself as a little boy, my path up to my current self in the present moment, and myself in the distant future as a wise elder.

I received valuable insights on my journey, and while there will always be healing and recalibration to be done, I was shown that I am at a stage of life where it is necessary for me to be of higher service to others, to deepen my relationship with San Pedro, and to learn which avenues of higher service may in time be revealed to me, a message I received quite clearly.

I found integrating my experiences quite challenging, and feel that I would have progressed a lot quicker and smoother if I'd had the frameworks, knowledge, understanding and wisdom that I have now. This is why I feel called to help guide others through their own transitions, transformations and self-actualization.

I am incredibly humbled by San Pedro, cactus of peace and vision.

https://www.medicinepath.net/blog/sacred-healing-medicine-sacred-aboriginal-lands

Last edited:
2560px-Parquefaphz_%28cropped%29.jpg

Huachuma – Visionary cactus of the Peruvian Andes

By Sergey Baranov

Huachuma is the original name given to the various mescaline-containing columnar cacti native to the Andes known as San Pedro, and used traditionally in Peru for millennia for healing and divination.

The cactus thrives at around 10,000 feet above the sea level and flowers between October and March with beautiful flowers gifting the lucky observer with a gentle scent. Its flower opens for just one day and closing over the next two days. After this the flower gradually dries out and forms a cocoon with new life-seeking seeds. Then it is the turn of the grown cocoon to dry out while releasing the seeds to the will of the wind. Thus the new life is begun.

The most commonly used botanical names are Echinopsis Pachanoi (spineless) and Echinopsis Peruviana (spineful) but these names, of course, are only a shadow of the real essence of the plant, which is spiritual, not verbal. To realize this, it takes more than knowing the plant’s name. An experience is like a cloud which floats beyond the horizon of botanical study.

My introduction to this ancient mystery which begun in 2005, was nothing less than a life-changing event; a fact that has slowly revealed itself over time. Back then, I was a spiritual seeker, who intuitively knew that plant-medicine shamanism held the key to a kind of knowledge that could not be found in books. This type of knowledge was experiential, not intellectual. I was not satisfied with reading about the experience; I wanted the experience. Led by a burning desire and a spiritual thirst that up until then had resulted mainly in disappointment, I was fortunate to find people in Peru who had practiced shamanism for many decades, and were dedicated healers.

This new acquaintance and introduction to an ancient path became a new starting point in my life. My urge was calmed. My thirst was satisfied and spiritual hunger fed. A path of self-discovery ahead was now opened to me with a friendly and welcoming gesture. I kept coming back to work with the same people for three and a half years before I made the decision to move to Peru, which I did in April 2009, after feeling the call to serve the sacred medicine. This of course did not come without a price. I had to make a large payment for the pass. It wasn’t in terms of the money but in terms of the fear of death which was my unwelcome friend from an early childhood. My near-death experience in Mexico while working with Huichol Indians and the sacred Peyote is described in detail in my book. Shortly after that, I moved to Peru. Landing in the Sacred Valley in the Andes, felt like coming home. I knew I wanted to build my new life here around this sacred medicine.

0088f63b0addf35a666a54a249a2540a.jpg

Shamanism was something I have been drawn to since my early childhood. But living under the Soviet regime, this prospect did not look hopeful. Already as a kid I felt sharply the pain of separation from the sense of life being a miracle. And ‘growing up’ seemed to threaten this further. I didn’t want to grow up believing that life is a process of collecting stuff and saving for retirement. This prospect seemed rather too bleak.

Fearing death as a child, and seeking self-fulfillment from an early age were significant factors in the formation of my spiritual quest. This quest led me eventually to shamanism in Peru, where sacred medicinal plants were not only legal, but embedded in the culture, reaching back as far as the dawn of history.

“San Pedro” is the post-colonial name given to the psychoactive Andean cactus known under different names. ‘Huachuma’ is the old Qechua name, which means: ‘vision’ or ’that which makes one drunk’. It is a visionary cactus with an amazing potential for healing. Seeing the world through its “eyes”, is like being born again, but this time consciously.

With the invasion of the Spaniards in the early 16th century, native shamanic traditions of Peru faced the very real threat of extinction. The brutal intolerance of the Catholic Church would only allow for obedience and conversion, and certainly not ‘paganism,’ or ‘devil-worshipping’ practices, as they generally viewed them. How exactly some of these ancient traditions survived, nobody knows, but I have been entertaining the following thought as for potential possibility. There could have been a deal made. And this was simple – the natives could continue their use of their sacraments whilst worshiping Christian Saints. San Peter was an apostle who, according to the Christian theology, received the keys to Heaven from Jesus Christ. A visual representation of this biblical scenery can be found in the painting by Marco Zoppo from an early epoch of Renaissance (1460) which depicts the saint holding the Keys of Heaven.

Seeing the parallels between the heavenly experience of the San Pedro cactus and the apostolic story from the newly adopted faith, would naturally lead them to the choice of this name. Perhaps this allowance from the Church was made out of mercy or, as a favor seeking gesture in the eyes of God and the indigenous population.

In a similar way, the Qechua people during the Inca dynasty hid their mummies inside the wooden statues of Christian saints during the Corpus Christi feast – an annual liturgical solemnity and celebration of the body of Christ. Thus, while on the surface they worshiped the Christian saints, they were in fact, revering their own.

Another parallel can be drawn between the painting by Marco Zoppo entitled Saint Peter and an ancient carving which is found in the temple of Chavin de Huantar in Peru, an image of a deity, half man half jaguar, who holds the sacred cactus in his hand as the key to the state of consciousness it represents. Being three millennia apart, same symbolism is quite apparent.

220px-Cabeza_Clava_Chavin.JPG
517261_1.jpg

In any case, and regardless of theories, the tradition has survived until today, albeit of course, in a form of syncretic religion. And although the cloak of Christian terminology was pulled over its lungs, it hasn’t been suffocated, and remains breathing as the mountains around you when you see them under the influence of this sacred medicine.

Coming to this with my own spiritual baggage, which mainly comprised of reading eastern philosophies and contemplating upon them using psychedelics, was a good thing. I had a context and a ‘’fertile ground’’ in which the seeds of new teaching from the mescaline-containing cactus could spread its roots.

But even though my love for wisdom and a search for answers for life-long questions were my early allies, I have not suspected how deep the ‘jaguar hole,’ actually goes. I can still remember the excitement I felt when I realized that plant-based shamanism was ‘the real deal’ – an authentic path that actually works and is open to those who are willing to step beyond the fear of the unknown while being unsatisfied with the verbal description of the higher states of consciousness as it has been described by others.

The world that I’ve seen through the light of the sacred cactus was beyond belief. Its self-evident truth did not require one. Thus the shamanic perspective which is described as animism in the academic studies has simply become my new outlook. In essence, this is what shamanism actually means. Although it is a very broad name given to diverse practices of healing, in fact, it is a way of living and interacting with the world. Not all of them include the use of psychoactive plants. In Siberia for example, the invocation of ancestral spirits for the purpose of healing is achieved without using plants. For myself, however, this aspect of shamanism was not of such great interest. I was after an altered state of consciousness in which as I hoped, I could perceive the world in a different way, learning and spiritually growing from it directly and experientially. It is hard to describe the feeling when after a long search a person finds a path that is actually fulfilling. And this is what the sacred cactus means to me; an oasis full of spring water in the middle of a desert, drinking from which, one realizes that this is not a mirage.

My intention is not to make this article about myself, although I must present it that way to make it personal. Instead, it is a brief introduction to an ancient mystery which has been accompanying humanity from time immemorial, echoing through millennia while reaching out to the new hearts and minds.

Free from ideology and dogma, the ancient path remains intact and clearly drawn on the map of consciousness. The daily miracle of Nature, which gets neglected every day in life, is recognized and worshipped with tears of gratitude. The healing energy of sacred cactus drunk like nectar with the beak of our souls. A light greater than the light of the day is finally seen with the inner eyes and loved for its purity and beauty. Belonging to the greater unity becomes a fact of life, not a wishful experience. The denying of the physical world, which is somewhat needed at the early stages of spiritual path, in order to understand the difference, turns into acceptance and living is now seen as the service to the greater cause.

Why bother? Why would we need this kind of experiences in our lives? Why would we pay for this with our fears we so cherish?

Well, simply put, knowing this reality brings happiness and joy of understanding. That’s really it. There are no more rewards I’m after. Waking up in the morning with a peaceful mind and gratitude for another day in my life is generous gift I am infinitely thankful for.

I think that each of us come to this world with this light, which then somehow vanishes under the sociocultural pressure we acquire during the later years. The loss of it causes fear and anxiety and eventually turns into depression, which is only a symptom of this separation from oneself. We feel alone and lonely. Separated from the source of life, when in fact, we are it, or at least, we are the leaves and flowers of the tree of life.

Reconnecting to our spiritual roots is “coming home”, not in a hyperspace or separate reality surrounded by other beings, but here and now, in our familiar, known space which becomes sacred the moment it is recognized as such.

https://wakeup-world.com/2017/07/17/huachuma-the-visionary-cactus-from-the-peruvian-andes/

Last edited:
shutterstock_1123826723-780x400.jpg

Consuming San Pedro: Everything you need to know

by Emma Stone | The Third Wave | 7 Sep 2021

San Pedro (Echinopsis pachanoi or Trichocereus pachanoi) is a native South American cactus containing psychedelic alkaloids. The cactus, also known as huachuma or wachuma, has been used as a sacrament for more than 3,000 years in the Andes.[1] In these traditional contexts, San Pedro is used by healers or curanderos to diagnose illnesses. The plant can also be consumed in rituals known as mesas to help heal illnesses or gain insight into everyday problems.

Nowadays, there’s growing interest in working with San Pedro to address trauma, addictions, or disorders.[2][3] San Pedro contains mescaline, a psychoactive phenethylamine alkaloid that stimulates serotonin receptors. The compound is a hallucinogen and can promote feelings of love, unity, and connection to others and the surrounding world. Many individuals are also motivated to journey with the plant to explore their spirituality, connect with nature, undertake psychotherapeutic work, or enhance creative or cognitive abilities.[4]

Participating in a traditional San Pedro ceremony represents a common way to experience the plant that also honors its sacred cultural context. Experienced curanderos or healers who lead such traditions can create a safe space for those journeying with San Pedro. However, traditional San Pedro ceremonies can also be characterized by sub-psychoactive doses, with those participating not experiencing psychedelic effects.

Some individuals also choose to undertake their own personal San Pedro ceremony, journey with a few trusted others, or experiment with microdosing. Being informed and well prepared is helpful before consuming this sacred cactus and can increase the likelihood of a safe, enriching experience.​

Preparing to journey with the San Pedro Cactus

Like all hallucinogenic plant medicines, San Pedro should be treated with respect and reverence. You can pave the way for a positive experience by mindfully sourcing (if you haven’t grown it yourself) and preparing San Pedro. It’s vital to take the time to determine the appropriate dosage, cultivate a safe mindset and setting, and dedicate a full day to journey with the plant.

There is little evidence of any serious, enduring adverse effects linked to mescaline use.[5] What’s more, there is no current evidence of psychological or cognitive deficits among First Nations peoples who have been using mescaline for centuries.[6] San Pedro may not be suitable, however, for individuals with certain physical and mental conditions. Additionally, similar to other psychedelic compounds, feelings of anxiety, panic, disordered behavior, paranoia and depersonalization can occur as mescaline takes effect in the body.[7] A robust body of evidence suggests that cultivating the appropriate mindset and setting can reduce the chances of an unpleasant experience.[8]

A San Pedro experience can last up to 16 hours, so feeling physically and mentally prepared is helpful. Because of the length of the journey and the nature of the San Pedro psychedelic experience, many individuals choose to set aside a whole day for immersion. San Pedro is most commonly taken in the early or late morning, with effects wearing off before falling asleep.

Physical preparation can involve ensuring a good night’s sleep the night before and consuming a light, healthy meal. However, some choose to observe fasting or a specific diet or dieta several days before use.[9] Mental preparation may include consciously cultivating a rested state of mind in the time leading up to the experience and minimizing stressful stimuli. Seasoned users caution against embarking on a San Pedro journey in an anxious, stressed state of mind.[10]

Mescaline dosage

An active dose of oral mescaline ranges from 150-700 milligrams.[11] In ceremonial contexts, San Pedro dosing is calculated based on 3.75 mg/kg of weight. Thus, a standard dose is estimated at 200-300 mg. A threshold dose, or what might be considered a microdose, is estimated at 100mg. At the other end of the spectrum, a high dose is estimated at 200-300mg.[12]

These dosing ranges are not set in stone, however, and are merely guidelines. In addition, physiological and psychological factors, such body weight, metabolism, and feelings regarding the experience, will also influence how the dose is experienced. It is worth noting that many facilitators will pour the medicine dosage off of “feeling” or their intuition. So it is a good idea to ask how dosage is determined before sitting in ceremony.

It’s also essential to be aware that there is no way to ascertain how much mescaline is present in a cactus, making dosing difficult.[13] Fifty grams of powdered cactus may contain as little as 150 mg of mescaline, or as much as 1,150mg of mescaline, since mescaline content varies between cacti.[14] Factors such as where and how the cactus grew (the plant’s terroir) and access to water and sunlight can influence the plant’s potency.

For first-timers working with San Pedro, seasoned journeyers recommend using a piece of the cactus that roughly measures the length and width of the forearm with the hand balled up into a fist.[15]

The total dose can be staggered. For example, if consuming San Pedro as tea, half can be drunk, allowing 30 minutes for the body to settle. Usually, an awareness of the medicine can be perceived as a shift in the body after 30-45 minutes. Another quarter of the brew can then be ingested, waiting and observing for the onset of the effects. After two hours, the hallucinogenic effects of mescaline may become apparent, and the final quarter of the tea can be drunk at this stage.

Staggering the intake can encourage the user to respond mindfully to psychoactive alkaloids as the body metabolizes them. Oral mescaline has a longer half-life than other classic psychedelics, so prolonging the intake beyond a two-hour window may prolong the experience.[16] The total duration of a San Pedro trip usually lasts on average from 8-12 hours, with an afterglow that can linger after the experience.[17]
Ways to consume San Pedro

The San Pedro cactus can be ingested in several ways, with oral ingestion representing the most common method of consuming the plant. The cactus flesh can be eaten raw, but the plant must be properly prepared. The waxy outer layer is first removed, with the thorny spines extracted (often with tweezers). The dark green skin is then peeled thinly and consumed—this is where the majority of alkaloids and mescaline reside. The white flesh that sits beneath the dark green skin may cause nausea.[18]

However, the plant is more commonly prepared as tea or a powder, as the raw flesh can be tough and unpleasant to chew. In both cases, the dark green cactus flesh is prepared in the same way. The plant material can also be blended with fruit juice to render the taste more pleasant and reduce the likelihood of nausea or vomiting.[19]

shutterstock_1741711481.jpg

Tea

San Pedro tea is made by boiling the dark green shavings from the cactus with approximately three liters of water. The brew is left over medium heat for three to four hours, resulting in about one 250ml cup of tea. Next, the concoction should be strained using a cheesecloth, and cooled.

The shavings can be boiled again with two liters of water for about two hours to extract more alkaloids. Following the second boiling, the concoction is again strained and blended with the first batch of tea. For a slower brew, the cactus shavings can be left in a slow cooker and simmered at a very low setting overnight before being strained.

Individuals who have taken San Pedro tea often share that it tastes very unpleasant, so many concentrate the liquid as much as possible, so less needs to be consumed (usually a maximum of one to two cups per person). A more concentrated brew can also mean less liquid in your stomach during your trip, which may equate to a reduced likelihood of nausea. In addition, including lemon juice in the tea may help to minimize nausea.​

Powder

San Pedro flesh can also be dried and pulverized into a powder. Like the preparation for raw consumption or tea, the waxy outer layer of the cactus is removed, the thorns extracted, and the dark green flesh of the plant peeled back. These shavings can then be dried out in the sun over a day or two, placed in the oven for several hours at a very low temperature, or left in a dehydrator. The powder can then be consumed straight, stirred into a liquid, or inserted into a gel cap.​

Set and setting

In addition to the logistics of dosage and administration, there are other intangible aspects that influence the experience. Set and setting have been established as the cornerstones of a therapeutically beneficial psychedelic experience. Set and setting are non-pharmacological factors responsible for a significant part of a psychedelic drug’s efficacy.[20]

Research into other psychedelic hallucinogens such as LSD, DMT, ayahuasca, and psilocybin mushrooms has revealed that the right set and setting can contribute to a positive experience.[21][22][23][24][25] Journeying with San Pedro is no different, so adopting an appropriate mindset and selecting a suitable setting is critical.​

Set

‘Set’ can be defined as including one’s personality, preparation for the experience, expectations, and intentions. Those familiar with San Pedro emphasize reducing stress and distractions before embarking on a San Pedro “trip” or experience—and also checking in on how you feel.

Open curiosity before a journey is a good sign, while intense fear can be a sign that you may not be ready. A little trepidation is always natural for first-time users. A desire to escape from reality, severe anxiety, mental instability, or psychosis do not represent stable states of mind for working with San Pedro. When an individual has existing disorders or mental illnesses that they wish to address with the medicine, it can be advantageous to work with a guide.

Setting

Setting encompasses environmental factors such as the physical, social, and cultural surroundings in which the experience takes place.[26] There are both advantages and disadvantages to participating in a San Pedro ceremony in a traditional context, engaging in a solitary ceremony, or taking the plant in the company of trusted friends.

The presence of a trusted curandero (healer), shaman, or guide can be instrumental in holding space and cultivating a safe space to experience the cactus. Consuming San Pedro in a traditional cultural context honors the sacred spirit in which the plant has been used historically in Andean regions. However, selecting a guide or curandero requires careful research, and it’s often recommended that those seeking a curandero meet with the individual before the experience.

Solitary journeys are more common. According to one survey of mescaline users, more than three-quarters (78 percent) reported that they consumed mescaline without the oversight of another person.

Similarly, the actual physical environment where the journey takes place is also of tremendous significance. One-half of respondents to the same survey reported that they primarily consumed mescaline outdoors (47 percent). Seasoned journeyers often point out that San Pedro is best experienced outdoors, close to nature, somewhere private and peaceful. Cityscapes, or urban parks, are generally not identified as conducive to positive experiences.

Ultimately, personal preference and temperament should guide all of these decisions in the weeks or days before working with San Pedro.

Last edited:
1*xgjOA3KCIzKbBxFEiOdzMg.jpeg

Huachuma: The Cactus of the Four Winds

MEDIUM

It’s a beautiful, crisp early-morning in Peru’s Sacred Valley, 2972 metres above sea level. The Willkanuta river winds alongside the brown dirt path. Steep green mountains tattooed with andenes (Inca field terraces), and the ruins of a centuries old stone hill fort loom above. Frost still lingers in the shadows of dry-stone walls. My hands are cold, but I’m sweating from the effort of lugging my overstuffed backpack. I’m only away from home for 4 days, but I’m planning to spend the night of the ceremony on the floor of the temple; nights are cold in this part of Peru. A thick alpaca blanket, pillows, and many layers of warm clothes, plus 5 litres of water weigh me down. Rufous-collared sparrows, stony coloured except for their orange neckband, flutter in the hedgerows and trees that line my way. The smell of wood smoke from breakfast fires drifts on the breeze. There’s a slight rumble in my stomach from not having any breakfast, but I’m refreshed from a good night’s sleep, nervous but excited. I’m on my way to participate in a ceremony; to drink a brew made from huachuma, the cactus of the four winds.

Huachuma (sometimes spelt “wachuma”) is the Quechua name given to Echinopsis pachanoi, a cactus native to the Andean regions of Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Bolivia, and Argentina. The cactus is considered medicinal and is used to heal and induce intense visions that are said to help people learn more about themselves and their connection with nature. The cactus is also known as San Pedro, the Christianised name that it was given after the arrival of the conquistadors in the wake of their efforts to convert the local population through syncretism and oppression of indigenous beliefs and customs. The English translation of San Pedro is Saint Peter, and the cactus is so called because Saint Peter is said guard the gates and hold the keys to heaven.

I arrive at the shaman’s house at 7:30 a.m., and have a bit of a wait before the ceremony is due to start. This is my second time at his house; I’d visited a few weeks previously to have a chat, explain why I wanted to attend the healing ceremony, and to learn more about the medicine. I had been preparing for a long time, researching the plant teachers of Peru on and off for over two years. Until now my research had mostly focused on tryptamines, and ayahuasca in particular, and though I had read some papers about mescaline, I had encountered little about huachuma. I’m not really sure what to expect from the experience, but the shaman told us the night before to leave our expectations at the door; I try to follow this advice.

I go to the open-air huachuma temple, put down my backpack, and choose my space. The circular temple has a conical reed roof supported by wooden beams. There are no walls, except for a 30cm high perimeter so that air flows freely through the structure, and a view of the garden, its flora and fauna, surrounds me. It is incredibly tranquil in the early morning stillness. Mats are laid out on the stone floor, each with a blanket and a pillow next to them. I choose a spot close to the exit with a fantastic view of a cluster of tall San Pedro cacti. Next to these are several clumps of kniphofia plants (also known as torch lilies or red-hot poker plants); their red and yellow tubular flowers are a favourite of certain species of Andean hummingbirds. A hummingbird while I’m tripping would be a sight and a half. In the background, sheer-sided summits jut into a clear cerulean sky.

Gradually, the other participants arrive and we are ready to start. A few of us met the night before; we’d gathered to discuss the logistics of the next day’s events, and how best to approach what we were about to embark upon. There are ten of us taking part in the ceremony, plus the shaman, , and his assistant; we are an eclectic mix of nationalities, but united in our goal of exploring whatever it is that the cactus has in store for us. We sit in a Socratic circle, like spokes of a wheel facing towards the hub. Opposite the temple doorway, the shaman sits cross-legged on his mat, a mesa in front of him. His mesa is a multi-coloured woven textile, typical in this part of Peru, laid flat on the ground. On the mesa there are a number of items of significance to the ceremony and to the shaman: a large transparent tub containing the powdered huachuma cactus we are to ingest, statuettes of sacred figures and deities from around the world, a marble, metal and stone jewellery, pebbles, crystals, an MP3 player with speakers, and a number of mapachos.

At 8 a.m. the ceremony starts. From this point on, we have been informed, there is to be no talking and no interaction with anyone other than the shaman and his assistant until the ceremony closes at sunset; silent contemplation is the order of the day. On strict instructions I haven’t eaten since eight the night before, and we are told that we must have no food or water until the shaman says so; swilling the mouth out with water is fine, but no swallowing. The shaman whistles a tuneful icaro into a handful of mapachos, lights one, blows smoke into his hand and wafts it over the crown of his head. He stands, moves to the centre of the temple, blows smoke to the sky, squats, and blows smoke to the ground. His assistant, who is apprenticing under his instruction, now has a mapacho on the go. She moves round the circle of participants in a clockwise direction blowing smoke on each person’s head, on their back, their chest, gets them to hold their hands in a prayer-like or Namaste gesture, then blows smoke on their fingertips. As she makes her way around the circle, the shaman follows, puffing smoke on each person’s crown, and then holding their wrists in his hands to sense their energy; so as to ascertain how much of the medicine to give each individual. I am fourth from the mesa. The shaman gets to me, kneels and holds my wrists, palms facing up, with his thumbs on my pulse. ‘Hmmm…Good’ he murmurs and moves on to the next person in the circle.

All the participants have received the mapacho smoke and had their energy measured. The shaman sits back behind his mesa, and then, clockwise from the shaman, we are individually summoned forward to drink the sacred brew. As each person is called up, they kneel or sit in front of the mesa. The shaman spoons a number of tablespoons of dried cactus powder into a metal, handle-less cup, and offers it to the person. The participant then mentally whispers their intentions for the ceremony into the vessel, and hands it back to the shaman. Upon receiving the cup, he fills it with water from one of the transparent plastic bottles by his side, stirs the mixture until the powder has dissolved a little, then returns the medicine to the participant for them to drink. Once it has been downed, the shaman stirs in more cactus powder and water for the individual to drink until she or he has had the amount that the shaman has judged to be sufficient. Not all participants are given the same amount.

The intention is an important part of healing ceremonies. Huachuma is used for mental, emotional and sometimes physical healing. The shaman had advised us to spend the previous evening contemplating what emotional or mental healing we were seeking. In my case it was help combatting the grief from the death of all my grandparents, my mother, an aunt, and two close friends, as well as the associated bouts of depression that had been with me for over 10 years.

It is my turn. I kneel in front of the shaman. He heaps three mountainous table-spoons of the powder and drops them in the cup. He hands it to me. I mentally place the words of my intention into the vessel, ‘Please help me to learn how to cope better with my grief and depression’ and return it. He pours the water and stirs. Now the cup is in my hands and I stare down into the swirling dark-green concoction. I’d read about the foul taste and seen the first few people gag to get theirs down. I decide to down it in one. The bitter taste hits the back of my throat, but I drink through it and return the beaker. The shaman fills it with three more gigantic spoonfuls plus the water. I drink again, the taste is much worse this time. I return the cup. Two more heaped spoonfuls are diluted into the cup. The last one. I finish it, thank him and return to my mat, crystals of the powder still swimming in the corners of my mouth. As everyone else drinks, the wind sings soft susurrations in the trees, and hummingbirds ‘tchip, tchup’ and buzz their wings as they flutter and feed.

When everyone has finished drinking, the shaman begins to sing an icaro in a mixture of Quechua and Spanish. Now that the cactus sacrament has been consumed, we are allowed to roam, but not stray beyond the grounds. It is still cold, even under the thick alpaca-wool blanket. I sit and listen to the icaros, but after about 10 minutes I get up to go and sit in the sun on a low wall by some bright-green metre-plus San Pedro cacti and wait for the visions to begin. The shaman told us that it would take thirty to ninety minutes for the full effects to kick in, and that after an hour or so he would approach each of us if we wished to drink more in order to ensure that we all ‘get on the buzz’ as he put it. I’d already decided I was going to say yes to another dose.

The cold, hard wall becomes uncomfortable, and I begin to feel nausea mounting in my stomach. I sit cross-legged on the grass, listening to the shaman and his assistant taking it in turns to sing icaros. The colours in the garden begin to intensify in chroma and saturation. One of the other participants walks past me. I start to analyse them, and then a voice from inside but outside me says ‘Judgement is unnecessary’. Let the schizophrenia commence. My attention is drawn to some tiny black ants in the grass, living out their lives in a miniature forest. Each has their own role and duties to perform; some carry eggs, some are exploring, some look to be communicating information to others, their antennae touching those of their compatriot. Suddenly a fat cat runs up, looking like a puma; its sleek fur, a subtle, glistening gradient between black and brown, catches the sun’s strengthening rays. It is hunting/fighting invisible entities; jumping and pouncing, swiping and swatting. It stares at me with its light blue eyes, then runs off to continue its battles elsewhere. I can definitely feel something other, alien, humming inside me now; waves of discomfort ebb and flow in my gut. I decide to take a walk around the garden, exploring and examining the plants, the surrounding hills, the few small clouds that have started to form to the north and north-east. I sit on another wall, a large garden planter section, next to some white flowers. The whole world seems to be subtly vibrating, dancing. For a while I just gaze into the distance, hypnotised by natures dance. I want to join in. The medicine “voice” tells me that I don’t dance enough in life; life is a dance, and I shouldn’t sit it out. Well, I’m certainly not capable of dancing at this moment, the huachuma sloshing and churning in my stomach. Visions start to kick in. Here we go.

Time passes in a way that makes it impossible to keep track of the seconds, minutes. How long have I been here? The grass seems to throb, or rather to breathe. I look at one of the small-petalled white flowers and feel a deep love for my wife. I wonder what she is doing at this moment, knowing that she is probably worried about me. My eyelids flutter. I see Buddha sitting meditating in the petals of the white flower, then a demon or devil, perhaps Mara, takes his place. I think of the William Blake quote: ‘To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palms of your hand and eternity in an hour’. Are we all bodhisattvas?

I start to try to focus on my intention for the ceremony. I think of my dead relatives, my dead friends, their faces, what they meant to me, how I wasn’t always the best person that I could have been to them. After a while, from out of the now shifting layers of reality, I seem to get the message that I don’t have as much grief as I thought. This makes me feel intensely happy. I had come here expecting to cry my eyes out, but it looks like this isn’t to be the case; I feel I’m going to get off lightly. A bee pollinates the flower, its abdomen moving up and down, like it’s making love to it.

Colours are now much brighter, more intense, more deeply saturated than normal; I’m seeing whole spectrums of shades and hues where before there was just one colour. I look up at the morphing mountains and the swaying grass, the pulsating trees; all of nature is alive and grooving; moving in ways I have never seen before. Shakily standing up, I head to a patio made of broken slates. The remnants of oil in the stones shimmers with iridescence in the morning sunlight and they feel warm to the touch; comforting, I borrow some of their heat. I sit cross-legged, soaking up the sun, and taking in the beauty of the Sacred Valley. The shaman approaches and asks how I’m doing, if I’m feeling the medicine, and how I’m doing with my intention. I tell him that I seem to be getting the message that I don’t have as much grief as I thought, and that I am just “enjoying the garden” as I remember phrasing it. He smiles at me with a knowing look in his eyes, and then goes off to check on the others.

The heat of the sun increases and I decide to head back into the shade of the temple after a quick trip to the toilet. Two toilets are located outside the ayahuasca temple that is used for night-time ceremonies. I walk past a line of white trumpet-like lilies that look as though they have been made from bleached paper by the skilled hands of an origami expert. They point upwards, symbols of death, silently heralding nature’s mystery to the sky. Going inside kicks the visual hallucinations up a notch. The floor of the bathroom is covered in insects, but when I blink, for the most part they disappear but then return. They mass and crawl all over the orange floor, close to my feet. Not a fan of that! Outside again. When I get back to the temple, I lie down on my mat, put a jacket on, and get under my blanket; I’m already wearing a thick Russian ushanka style hat, but it is still cold out of the sun.

Music plays from the MP3 player on the mesa; sometimes sitar music, sometimes chilled trance, always relaxing and thought inducing, conducive to aid in meditation. My mind begins to wander. Staring up at the underside of the roof, the thatched reeds breathe in and out, expanding and contracting, expanding and contracting. The effect is deeply fascinating and I lie mesmerised for an unknown period of time, but after a while it makes me feel a little queasy, so I concentrate on the torch lilies on the other side of the small wall. Suddenly, a hummingbird flits in to feed on their nectar, its wings beating so quickly they are just a blur. The colours are incredibly strong on its body, the feeling of being in the presence of such a graceful mass of bones, flesh, blood, and feathers is almost palpable. It finishes feeding, turns, flies through the temple and straight over my head, less than half a metre above me. I feel ecstatic. Like I have received a blessing. The shaman approaches, asks me if I would like to have another cup of the brew. I say that I’m fine (I’m pretty sure I’d just throw it straight up right now) but will in a little while. He says he’ll come back in an hour or so to ask me again.

The music has stopped. The shaman is seated behind the mesa. He begins to sing an icaro. It is unspeakably beautiful, and I close my eyes. Immediately I see the song moving in front of my eyelids, the words are billowing fluid fabrics; ribbons of patterned material, embroidered with motifs similar to those I have seen on many Andean tapestries and handicrafts in the various markets of the mountains. The ribbons weave in and out of each other, creating a beautiful, ornate latticework of detailed threads, then become dancing Chinese dragons, cavorting and leaping, up and down, up and down. I am at a festival, and I seem to hear the clash of cymbals sound in time to the rhythmic dancing of the procession. This continues until the singing stops. I open my eyes, and try to make some notes about what I have seen and how I feel, but my pen scrawls black spider’s web scratchings on the bright white pages of my sketchpad. I stare at my hand and my flesh is moving in a weird, wavy motion. My limbs are shaking. I’m not sure if I am cold, or if it is the medicine.

I look up and the world has changed considerably. There are unblinking kaleidoscopic eyes in all of the plants and trees, everywhere I look; hundreds, thousands. The eyes are not in any way sinister; more like the eyes in a peacock’s tail feathers. The colours in the eyes are impossible to pin down, there are just too many; every tint and shade of blue, green and yellow imaginable and more, tinged at the edges with orange, indigo and violet. I smile in awe. I sit fascinated. The corrugated mountains are rippling more strongly now, as if they are reflections in a lake that has had its surface disturbed. It is odd, but pleasant. I’m enjoying myself, despite the shaking, and the occasional discomfort and nausea.

The shaman’s assistant is playing an instrument (which she later tells me is Indonesian) that sounds like a hang drum, but it is played with padded beaters; its sound is hauntingly, achingly melodic. I sit enchanted, listening to it for an age, soaring as the reverberating notes buoy me towards something profound but always just out of reach. The surrounding scene is so peaceful. From my mat, I take in the vista. To my left, outside of the temple, sentinel trees lean over the fence that guards the border of the garden, their lean trunks swaying, their eyes shining in the sun. Directly ahead of me, shape-shifting summits ripple and rise into the impossibly blue heavens. To my left stands a small house with sandy-brown walls and terracotta roof tiles. In the flowerbed in its shade huachuma cacti share the soil with bright torch lilies, their red and yellow blooms like flames of holy fire; Promethean hummingbirds hover to sip and pollinate the blaze.

The shaman comes to me and asks if I would like another dose. I say ‘Sure’ and move to the mesa. He stirs in the powder and hands me the cup. I take it and neck it in two gulps, but the taste is much, much worse this time. I immediately think that this was a bad idea. I return to my mat, but in no time at all I’m rushing for my shoes, vomit already filling my mouth. I make it to the bushes, and puke up most of what I’d tried to force down. I rinse my mouth with water, and spit into the grass. My stomach gurgles and snarls its condemnation. I head to the bathroom. The mostly imaginary insects have multiplied and they try to crawl up my legs in surging waves. It unsurprisingly freaks me out, and I quickly head out of the bathroom, back to the temple.

Back on my mat, I stare up at the reed roof again. Big fat bugs, greeny-yellow with red dots are swarming all over it. I know they are just in my mind, there could never be so many. Their scrabbling, crawling movements make me feel uneasy; I have to look away. The mountains are moving more than ever and patterns seem to be emerging from them; varicoloured fractals; octagrams, hexagrams, and pentagrams of different orientations compete for attention, their lines made up of brilliant prismatic hues. The peacock eyes are still in the plants and trees, somehow much more vivid than before. Epochs pass as I watch the patterns unfold in flowers, leaves, sky, and hillsides. One of the other participants walks past the temple and his face is reproduced perfectly in the clouds above him, even down to his sunglasses and cowboy hat. I hear crying from unseen areas of our Eden; some people are having a rough time of it. I’d heard sporadic vomiting from a few of them earlier, but now two or three are in loud fits of tears. The shaman and his assistant sing icaros and shake a shacapa, a rattle made from a bundle of leaves, over people who are struggling. This seems to help them. To some, the shaman gives a therapeutic massage to help them relax and to allow their energy to flow better.

The shaman tells me I can now break my fast, but to go easy, so I have some water and a banana. The sweet, fibrous banana feels like it takes me an hour to eat. I’m really not hungry or thirsty, but hope that some food and water will help with the feeling in my stomach; no longer nausea, but still uncomfortable in an odd way. My limbs are still shaking every now and then. I lie back and get lost in a world that is far from the one I am used to; observing the sublime choreography in nature keeps me occupied for miniature infinities. Everything is wreathed in coloured auras that are not normally there/visible in everyday nature, and all things seem to be reflections of the whole, to contain inherent meaning and importance in this schizophrenic state of apophenia.

The geometric patterns that emerge from everywhere I look start to feel sinister to me, though I can’t explain how; they seem to be trying to communicate some truth about the world and the way it is made up, but it is truth that I know I am somehow not prepared for. Breathing is becoming more difficult, and I am starting to panic a little. I feel as if there is some malevolent presence at work around me. I see the shaman, and feel that he is part demon; his red trousers and yellow top make this seem even more the case; the colours ringing associations in my mind, though I can’t think what and why. I seem to perceive animal ears, like those of an antelope, poking through the top of his straw sun hat. I feel afraid.

I lie in a state of terror for a long time, watching menacing, shifting pellucid patterns in the sky. Suddenly, a translucent alien/demon head appears above the mountains. I feel like it has appeared out of another dimension; out of one of the geometric shapes; a portal. It can see me! It is focusing on me! It is coming for me! Slowly, the creature is descending towards me, but is still a few hundred metres away. I try to fight the feeling, shaking and struggling with my perceptions. I sit up and signal to the shaman. I tell him that I am having trouble breathing, strangely opting not to mention the terrifying sky monster that has me in its sights. He gets me to lie down, encourages me to breathe deeply and sings an icaro over me while massaging the tops of my pectoral muscles. His eyes are full of kindness and concern for my well-being. My breathing is coming in gasps and I feel like something is being exorcised from me. ‘Let go of your grief, and any fear that comes with it. Just breathe,’ he whispers. I do as he says.

All of sudden, there is a change; I feel incredibly relaxed, like a weight has been lifted from my chest. Tears come to my eyes, and I feel that my grief and depression have gone. It was like the entity sucked them out of me. Had I been projecting parts of myself onto my surroundings? I feel like the alien/demon in the sky was a manifestation of the grief that I had been clinging on to, the negative feelings that I had used as a shield after the deaths of my family and friends.

The shaman tells me that the shaking in my body is the medicine doing its work, and to just lie back and let it do its job. He leaves me, and I lie there awed, quietly shedding a few tears behind my sunglasses; tears of relief and happiness. The demon inside and out is gone. I cannot move yet, but I feel so much better; lighter, enlightened, more alive than I have for a long time. I lie back and close my eyes and am transported into a nexus of refracting lights. Every now and then I open my eyes and look at my vacillating environs as I relax, arms behind my head, then dip back into the visions. Eventually, I sit up for a while, then go to eat a piece of the pineapple that I had brought to share. It is now sitting cut up in a bowl in the middle of the temple floor. It is unbelievably sweet and the fragrant juice is refreshing.

The fractal geometry is still everywhere, but it is no longer threatening. Mosaics and mandalas fill the world. I get up, put on my shoes and go for a walk in the garden, after a quick trip to the insect lair commonly known as the bathroom; the Apocalyptic plague of insects is nowhere to be seen, just a few baby grasshoppers here and there. I stroll around the perimeter of the property admiring the exotic flowers. I find a spot in the garden, in front of the shaman’s house and sit cross-legged on the warm grass. Something tells me I should try to fit my limbs into the position outlined by one of the five-pointed geometric shapes I have been seeing all day. I do so, close my eyes, and for a brief moment I have oryx horns. Am I becoming Baphomet? I am transported to a temple behind my eyelids.

I look up and the roof of the temple is covered with religious symbols, some I recognise, some I don’t; Om symbols, ankhs, stars, and crosses of different kinds. I am in the space where all religions come from, where all the symbols are encountered, all is one, an archetypal place of mystery. I can only see the ceiling, where four arches meet. Why is that? When I open my eyes, the “real” sky is polychromatic. I sit and watch the colours and their borders slide into and out of one another. Nature has never looked so beautiful. The branches of the trees in the hedgerow flow and interweave, forming swirling arabesques. I feel Gaia as art, artist, and muse combined. I’m totally uplifted, elated by what I am seeing and experiencing, but after a while, I notice that my skin is beginning to burn a little, so I get up and head to the temple to put on more sunscreen.

I return to the garden and sit on a chair on the patio. I notice a line of ants moving across its surface. Instantly, I am Anubis, Egyptian jackal-headed god of the afterlife, but in statue form. I am hundreds of metres high, sculpted out of jet-black onyx. I am a monument to death. I watch the ants become tiny people as they toil away beneath me.

The sun is sinking and the visions are less intense now, but the geometry stays with me, still multi-coloured, still everywhere I look. Most of the other participants seem to be coming down a little too, not much, but the tears and vomiting of the morning and early afternoon have abated; some walk past me and it feels odd not to be able to communicate with them. This afternoon we are the principle actors in our own dramas; characters in a novel; Virginia Woolf’s To the Lighthouse; part of a whole and yet always separate, each alone in an introspective stream-of-consciousness, grappling with the complexities of our own experiences, our relationship to others, and to the whole. For a moment I feel isolated, but then that isolation becomes strength. I notice a raised cactus bed to my left. The edge is walled with stones, and from the front protrudes a stone snake’s head. I gaze into the serpent’s eye, trapped in its stony gaze.

The snake is a common motif in Peruvian shamanism, especially in ayahuasca visions. In Inca cosmology it is part of a trinity; condor (or sometimes hummingbird), puma, and snake. The condor/hummingbird represents the upper world (Hanan Pacha in Quechua), our highest values, spiritual energy and the soul. The puma is symbolic of the middle world (Kay Pacha), power and the body. The snake is representative of the underworld (Uku Pacha), the mind, wisdom and healing. Like a snake I feel I have shed part of my previous self, my mind feels renewed, refreshed, the old skin that no longer serves me has been laid aside. I sit and watch the sun gradually descend towards the motionless mountains. All day, time has been speeding up and slowing down, making it hard to know what hour it is. Is it really nearly sunset? I watch the rays bend around the terraced slopes. As the sun begins to dip behind the far mountains in the west, the shaman approaches and asks me to return to the San Pedro temple. It’s time to close the ceremony.

Everyone gathers in the temple. We are given some lemon-scented agua florida; a Peruvian perfume used to cleanse, purify, and heal. I rub the strong-smelling liquid on my hands and face; it seems to bring me back down to earth a little. The shaman lights a mapacho, walks to the centre of the floor and blows smoke to the sky and the earth. He sings an icaro as the sun disappears behind the mountains. The shaman says that we honour past traditions but also create our own. A tradition for his ceremonies is to end with a specific track. He presses play on the MP3 player, and we sit and listen. It is suddenly much colder. He reminds us that we can now interact with each other, but not with anyone else who hasn’t participated in the ceremony until the morning. He says that though we can now talk, we are still very much on the medicine (a reminder that most of us didn’t need), and that we were under no pressure to chat; that we can find a quiet space for contemplation if we need it. The sacred ceremonial space is now closed. ‘Dinner will be served in an hour’. We pack up the mats and pillows. Standing up, the medicine loops back in, and I’m buzzing again. I get my stuff together, put everything into my backpack, and lay out my bed space in the indoor ayahuasca temple. Rooms are available in a nearby hotel, but it seems everyone is planning to sleep on the temple floor. I go outside and sit in the garden, watching pastel bands of light fade behind the silhouettes of still peaks.

Dinner time. We gather and sit around the wooden dining table in the shaman’s house. Light vegetable soup and bread is placed in front of eyes still orbiting the spaceport. Some people tuck straight in after the fasting and puking, but for others, myself included, this is too much too soon to stomach. At one end of the table conversation and giggles flow like undammed rivers. At the other people seem to be still strongly under the effects of the brew, and garrulousness comes less easily. I pick up my spoon, my limbs shaking slightly from the cactus metaphorically prickling inside my system. I raise a spoonful of liquid to my mouth. As I do so, I notice that it is filled with the same psychedelic shapes I have been seeing all day. I stare, and then think how odd I must look to the people around the table. Now I’m chuckling into my soup. It’s like sacred geometry Alphabetti Spaghetti. I eat some stars and octagrams, but I’m not really that hungry. Chatting with the two women next to me, both tell me they had a hard time today; much purging and crying; they say they are drained. One tells me she has a 12 day ayahuasca retreat coming up, and after the events of today’s ceremony, has no idea how she will cope with the intensity. The shaman smiles, laughs, and tells her she’ll be fine. I find making conversation difficult; I’m still way too high, so opt for listening, grinning, and nodding, though I’m not really following everything that is being said; I’m still getting stimuli from everywhere and there’s just too much data to process. After a while I find I’m able to chat better, the medicine changing its, as well as my, gears again. We spend an hour or so conversing about our lives, reasons for attending the ceremony, and the day’s experiences. Carrot cake apparates from a shadowed corner, but I take the smallest of slices, and find even that heavy going.

I feel sleep tugging at my edges. Inside the temple, some people are already in bed, huddled against the cold. I put on all of my warm clothes, get under my poncho and blanket, but am still chilly. Moron! I’ve forgotten my gloves and extra jumper back in the flat in Cusco. After a while I get warm-ish and maintain that temperature if I leave only my eyes and nose-bridge exposed to the night air. The rest of the group shortly follow us in, and the lights and torches are turned off.

The roof of the ayahuasca temple is glass. The moon and stars shine down. The polygons are still wherever I look, eyes closed or open, but are less pronounced. From time to time, shooting stars burn across the clear black sky. I’m tired, no I’m exhausted, but sleep won’t come; my mind is still on longwave and won’t tune out. Other participants start to snore. Blankets rustle as the sleepers toss and turn, trying to bury deeper into the covers. Cold. Cold. Cold. One of the older guys is an insanely heavy breather. He sounds like a horse; snorting and snuffling, wheezing and grunting. My stomach churns throughout the night. My mind may like cactus, but my gut sure doesn’t. I lie and watch the stars, awake for most of the night; my mind, the geometry, and the noises from the others keeping me awake until the early hours. Eventually, I get a couple of hours sleep. All too soon it is time to get up. Amazingly, I’m not tired at all.

At 9 a.m. we meet in the shaman’s house in order to discuss the previous day and to share our experiences. We sit in the lounge area. Around the room in a clockwise direction, we take turns in relating what we learned from our encounter with the medicine. Most people feel a heightened/deepened connection with nature. Others feel they have undergone an emotional catharsis or release. Some have a greater connection with and understanding of their emotions. But it has not been the case for everyone; one guy says the experience has raised more questions than it has answered for him. Not all have had such intense visuals as I experienced. Before I leave, the shaman tells me to look at the geometry with my heart rather than my mind. I’m not sure what this means; perhaps I’ll try painting what I saw. I should ask him more about the geometry, but I need to leave; I’m meeting my wife soon and have to walk the fifteen to twenty-minute walk to town first.

I know I have discovered more about my relationship with grief and depression; I feel that I have a deeper understanding of both; they are parts of me that were once vital to my coping with life but are no longer needed. In this sense my intention has been met. I feel more at one with myself; there is less conflict in me. The walls that protected me in the past, built up after the deaths of my family members and friends, also kept me isolated and divided; I clung to them for too long and after a while they no longer truly served me. Brick by brick they have begun to come down, and I can see over the wall into a garden filled with potential and possibility. I intend to work on being less critical and more accepting of my feelings. I also feel more of a connection with the natural world, and the patterns in nature; a reaffirmation of the interconnectedness of all things. True, huachuma blessed me with some playtime, but it also took me to school as well. I leave the shaman’s house feeling refreshed, lighter, happier. As I walk back along the dirt track, hummingbirds and sparrows feed and sing in the trees that line my way.

I sit next to an old church overlooking the choclo (maize) and quinoa fields and eat choclo con queso (maize on the cob with a chunk of local cheese). The sides of the valley slope down to my left and right. Below, farmers harvest their crops, their cattle lowing in the middle-distance. The wind is still, the atmosphere agrarian, calm and peaceful. As I sit, I think about the day before and make notes. Expressing these things in words is not an easy task; there is not a perfect relationship between the signs and symbols I use and what I would like them to signify. I try to draw some of the geometric shapes that featured so prominently in the visions. As I finish sketching, my wife calls and tells me she’s just arrived. I shoulder my bag and head along a cobbled street into town.

Last edited:
596dc8089d389643e03e6dbd4756a810.jpg

The Huachuma journey

The experiences I write about are not recreational drug experiences.

These are sacred healing medicines, meaning, we honor and revere the power of these plants to facilitate states of consciousness which enable healing, understanding, growth and wisdom. These medicines have been used for thousands of years in rituals, ceremonies and rites of passage by our indigenous brothers and sisters.

In my personal experience, each journey one undertakes feels like the building of a relationship with some form of intelligence, something beyond our sense of physical sentience.

A relationship that deepens as one continues to explore the various worlds that are gifted to those willing to saddle up and do the work.

This might sound nonsensical, but for myself and many others, it feels as though we're entering a communion with the essence of the cactus, with it's spirit, which indeed feels like an incredibly sacred experience.

Something that was highlighted during my journey was integrity and responsibility. All of us have different levels of responsibility. How much I decide to take on is a conscious choice. And as my medicine path deepens, so too I feel, does my level of responsibility and integrity when it comes to openly writing and speaking on these topics.

My writing serves many purposes.

- To remember and download my insights and wisdom.

- To make my blessings, prayers and gratitude more tangible.

- To integrate what I've learned.

- To collect and catalog these experiences for myself and for others.

I recognize that the words and writing that I share holds weight.

I recognize this from the people that share with me, how what I've shared has helped them on their own path.

I recognize that for myself, and for others, the words I choose to share about these medicines, is medicine itself.

Language, whether internal or external dialogue, reflects our beliefs and attitudes, which greatly determines our health at a cellular level.

Huachuma has helped me to recognize that the words that I share are like seeds..., seeds that are carried by the winds of technology. This technological breeze sends these seeds across the globe, allowing these states of consciousness to take root and grow in other's gardens, bringing us all together.

And of course, this extends beyond myself.

There is great power in all of our words that we choose to put out into the world, great power in what we decide to put out there and share, great power in how we choose to show up and allow ourselves to be seen - both in the technological world and the physical world.

For all of these things not only help ourselves, but help others to grow, awaken, open and heal.

What people need to understand is that San Pedro is not a hallucinogenic like ayahuasca. San Pedro's teaching is visionary instead, in the revelations it brings, about the natural - not the spirit - world, and in daylight you can see that more clearly.

During our sound bath meditation, in which drums, chimes and other instruments were played, I was thrust into an ethereal world of shimmering rainbow light.

Floating jellyfish-like creatures permeated the darkness with their vibrant fluorescent glow. They moved gracefully. Translucent angel-humanoid beings appeared, while semi-transparent hieroglyphs radiating like prisms of light were propelled across my field of vision.

Huachuma has been utilized in ceremonial practices for at least 3,500 years. Has high-mountain Peruvian culture been influenced by the use of this sacred medicine and its rainbow visions, once used prolifically by master healers and shamans? As many other ancient cultures and religions around the world have been influenced and shaped by visionary states of consciousness, to some extent, I suspect this could certainly be the case.

This journey felt like an initiation; a rite of passage, into a new community, into higher frequencies and dimensions that Huachuma allows one access to.

I feel blessed to have such a beautiful relationship with this incredible plant teacher.

https://www.medicinepath.net/blog/the-huachuma-ceremony-that-was-more-like-an-ayahuasca-ceremony

Last edited:
INSTA114.webp

San Pedro: Opening the pathways of the heart

Healing by the Willkamaya River - Sacred Valley of the Incas, Peru - March 2016

I began 2012 with suicidal thoughts and fantasies because of yet another disappointing romantic relationship. On New Year's Eve I joined some friends for a celebration that included the ingestion of San Pedro, but I wasn't there to celebrate: I was there to grieve. That night I cancelled all my travels and retreats for the upcoming year and vowed instead to dedicate all my energies to healing my wounded heart for as long as necessary.

I went by the river near my house and drank San Pedro by myself as part of that process. As soon as I settled down in a familiar spot by the river it started to rain and so, with the effects of the medicine already beginning to rise, I made my way to a cave I had noticed but never visited before.

There the theme shifted from romantic love to Divine Love, one often being a reflection of the other. At some point I connected with my desire for God's love (that was easy) and then fortuitously flipped the coin to look at my resistance to actually receiving and experiencing that love. What I found was the belief that in order to receive that love I would have to change.

I realized I held the belief that God's love was somehow conditional and soon realized the fallacy of my belief, which allowed me to let go of it. As soon as I let go of that, I was flooded with Divine Love, which is really all there is. In that moment I sat up, opened my eyes, and said to myself "It is done: my healing journey is complete," and with that an experience of full self-realization unfolded, the realization of myself as part of and no longer apart from Divinity.

I relate this episode of my life because that moment of profound healing just a surrender to my ultimate nature. It was only the letting go of my own conflicts and resistance that allowed me to fall back and rest. I saw how most of the suffering I had created for myself was the result of my own resistance to who I really am. The only solution to that struggle was letting go of my inner conflict and surrendering once and for all.

To reach that place I exercised a lot of choice and determination to do whatever was necessary to meet and embrace all of myself. The experience was as surprising as it was monumental: I had no idea what was in store for me that day, and in its simplicity, the experience was truly amazing. It also filled me with hope because if I were able to heal such a sense of separation, I knew everybody else could, too.

When I got home, everything was exactly the same, and yet my own healing and transformation made me experience my familiar life quite differently: there was definitely a sense of elation and expansion, but also a serene simplicity I had never known before.

A week after that life-changing experience I returned to the river to try a new batch of San Pedro medicine. I didn't think I had any particular theme to explore that day, but I found myself holding on to an old judgement against someone. When I finally let go of my resentment and judgement, I could see how Divine Love is really everyone's legacy and destiny. In that moment I was able to own and to integrate all of my ideas about not deserving to receive and be that Love, thus completing the process.

Soon after this, as I was walking by the river, I realized that my own wheel of incarnation had come to a full stop. Astonished and amazed I told myself that even if it started moving again there was absolutely nothing to fear or worry about: being on the other side of karmic and illusory bonds helped me truly see the thinness of that illusion. Pain and suffering are not eternal, they are destined to pass. And when they are gone only Divine Love and Light remain.

Once I finally connected with and embraced that Love and Light, not only as an experience but also as the very essence of who I am, my seeking came to an end. The last letting go of any spiritual seeker is the letting go of identity. Once we find what we are seeking, that identity has fulfilled its purpose and asks to be let go of. Since then my attitude has shifted from one of constant searching to one of curious and playful exploration: I no longer look for answers as I no longer have any questions.

I am fascinated by the many ways different cultures and people have addressed the mysterious process of life and awakening. Deeply heartfelt gratitude colors my daily life: what was once a chore is now a blessing and privilege—the privilege of human life, with all its contradictions and beauty.

A week later, I realized to what extent all my fears had dissipated. Walking on this earth without the fears that had haunted me all my life allowed me to perceive this planet on a deeper level: for the first time I could see and experience its intrinsic love and nurturing energy. I have been embraced by that ever since, no matter where I am. Holding this awareness and the willingness and readiness to be enveloped by this Love has made it so that wherever I go, Nature is always sweet and showers me generously with her blessings and beauty.

-Javier Regueiro​

Last edited:
HealingWorld2-1000x642.jpg

Love Heal Forgive

The wildest ride I’ve had so far, and I like to think some of my journeys with other plant medicines have gone fairly deep. From the insanity of losing my mind completely, to dancing with demons and accepting death until I become the single intelligence at the beginning of creation, lost in the conundrum of self knowledge, loneliness and a need for experience beyond the great nothing.

The location for the retreat was fantastic, a circle of yurts not far from the sea. The plant, Huachuma, also known as San Pedro is mainly worked with in South America. The ceremony began at 10am and dosage options were given. We were told to follow our gut. A conflict arose within, my gut wanted the lowest dose, but something else in me wanted the highest, thus we met in the middle.

After taking the medicine insights began to come.

The first was Osho’s quote about a flower:

“If you love a flower, don’t pick it. Because if you pick it, it dies and ceases to be what you love. So if you love a flower, let it be. Love is not about possession. Love is about appreciation.”

I felt very active, unlike with Ayahuasca, when I usually lie on my back with eyes closed.

Then came another message:

"Here is my purpose, you use me to heal."

So what do I want? Given the power to choose whatever I want, what is it that I actually want?

As I asked this question, space and time started to shift.

‘Where do you want me?,’ said space.

‘How fast do you want me to go?,’ said time.

‘You are choosing everything!’ they said in chorus.

‘All of the world that you perceive is your choice, how do you want it?’

Although brief, I felt was a gut wrenchingly strange sensation.

I knew then in an instant, I want it exactly as it is, it was all perfect as it is.

Everything was happening perfectly, at just the right time, not too fast and not too slow. The imperfection we perceive is part of the perfection we have created. Do you really want to fly, that would change everything. Hmm, that I am undecided on. Do you really want an easy road that never challenges you and doesn't force you to grow and evolve?

I went back into the yurt to find the others, and as we sang and rattled and danced the joining of energies wasn't just a feeling, you could see it happening, we became each other or rather archetypes of each other and shapeshifting of all kinds appeared before my eyes.

Demons arose and left, questions of freedom and choice were posed and answered. The intensity became beyond what my rational mind could take and I left the yurt. The knowing of my 5am flight playing in the back of my mind. I didn't want to miss that flight home to my family. The rational mind would only go so far on this occasion, such a party pooper, but something I was also grateful for at the time. And so the Huachuma came in waves, dissolving my body every now and again to take me away for further teachings.

As I sat down at midnight to eat a boiled egg, the medicine finally slowing down after 14 hours, I pondered the egg white and the yolk and remembered a yoga studio in Australia called egg of the universe. The white feeds the yolk, the white is all the noise all the stuff, and it’s necessary for the yolk, but the yolk is what matters. The yolk is love, pure golden, gooey, goodness.

The medicine kept on giving, the lessons still coming weeks later. Thank you father!

http://www.lovehealforgive.com/blog/2015/10/26/huachuma\

Last edited:
2e34b5910e4208562907d48e9be61f6b.jpg

Preparation and ingestion of San Pedro

Regardless of the type of the mescaline, it is advised that the ingestion be spaced out over a 30 minute period, to reduce the potential impact of nausea. Nausea is an intrinsic characteristic of pure mescaline, and cannot be avoided entirely. In my experience with San Pedro, nausea is strongest between about two hours and four hours after ingestion, and largely goes away by 5 hours after ingestion. Mescaline containing cactus have an intensely disagreeable bitter flavor.

Some people react more strongly to this flavor than others. For this reason, many people may be tempted to "slam it down" as quickly as possible, but this can lead to more severe nausea. On the other hand, spacing the ingestion out over a period much longer than 30 minutes can cause more nausea as the intensely disagreeable flavor is made even worse by the beginning of mental and physical effects of the mescaline ingested at first.

I will now describe my own procedure for preparing San Pedro cactus. I have heard of many methods, ranging from chemical alkaloidal extraction to just eating it raw, like corn on the cob. A brief description of the cactus physically: a normal column of San Pedro is around 3" in diameter, and can be of any length. The potency can vary widely, depending on growth conditions, so calibration of the potency by first trying what is expected to be a small dose is an absolute necessity.

Suggested lengths for one dose range from 3" to over a foot. The cactus has a tubular core of woody fibers arranged in a ring. Most of the mescaline is supposed to occur outside of this ring, near the skin. The skin itself is somewhat like a tough, waxy paper which tears easily. The flesh is very bitter, with the consistency of an apple. It is mostly water and can be liquified easily. It is possible to remove the spines with a knife and carefully peel away all of the skin, taking care not to peel away any of the flesh directly under the skin (the most potent part). I find this to be much too tedious.

My method, in short, is to blend the entire cactus, (spine, skin, and all) and prepare a liquid extract. This extract can be frozen for later use, although it may be illegal in this form. (San Pedro is legal to possess, but illegal to consume, in the USA).

The liquid extract can be chilled to ice-cold temperatures before ingestion, and prepared with lemon juice, both of which make it more palatable.

To do this extraction, you need a food processor (ideally) or a blender, and a strong course mesh filter of some type. Coffee filters are too fine, and most metal kitchen strainers are too coarse. I use a nylon mesh bag designed for sprouting seeds and grains, which is ideal. You could probably use some kind of cloth filter (perhaps even an old shirt would suffice). First, wash the surface of the cactus thoroughly.

Then slice it into half inch thick disks (actually stars). Optionally, excise the small circular core from each disk. Slice the disks radially, like a pie, into small wedges. It is *not* necessary to de-spine or remove the skin of the cactus to do this. These small pieces may now be liquified in a food processor or blender. You will almost certainly have to do this in several small batches.

For the first batch, you may need to add a small amount of water to aid in the liquefaction, but after this just add some of the previously blended liquid. Strain the broth, again in small batches, and set aside the liquid.

Combine all the solid mass that has been filtered out and set aside. For each foot of cactus, put 1 cup of water (distilled is probably best) in a large pot, preferably not aluminum. For each foot of cactus add the juice of two lemons. Optionally, add one gram per foot of acidic vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in powdered or granular form. Heat this mixture to boiling. Now, re-blend the the solid mass in small parts with this boiling liquid.

Blend each part for at least two minutes. This step will convert any remaining mescaline to salt form, improving its solubility, and bring the last of it into solution. Filter and combine this with the first liquid, and mix well. If not used immediately, this mixture should be frozen to avoid decomposition. This method will result in two to three cups of liquid per foot of cactus.

I strongly advise against boiling this liquid down in an attempt to reduce the volume, since in my experience this will adversely affect the potency, and may increase the relative concentration of the non-mescaline alkaloids. I also strongly advise calibrating your brew for potency. A dose may range from one cup to over three cups.

Despite the lemon juice, it will be intensely bitter, so chilling it to near freezing before drinking is probably a good idea. A number of techniques can help with the taste. I suggest chasing each gulp with unsweetened grapefruit juice. Alternatively, Adam Gottleib, in Peyote and Other Psychoactive Cacti has this to say:

"The Indians believe that if one's heart is pure, the bitterness will not be tasted. Many find that by not cringing from the taste, but rather letting one's senses plunge directly into the center of the bitterness, a sort of separation from the offensive flavor is experienced. One is aware of the bitterness, but it no longer disturbs him. It's not a difficult trick, but it takes some mental discipline."

Trichocereus pachanoi, or 'San Pedro', is a very common landscaping cactus (not indigenous to the USA, though) and is neither illegal to possess, nor even particularly incriminating since it is so widespread. It is also one of the fastest growing of all columnar cacti. It grows fastest in a very sunny climate with long summers (or under high intensity growth lights year round) but will grow fairly well in more temperate ares as well. In areas of the Southwest where cactus nurseries are to be found, it can often be purchased as a specimen of three feet or more in height. T. pachanoi is quite easy to identify once you have seen it in person, but verbal descriptions are probably not adequate to distinguish it from other Trichocereus species (such things as the "roundedness" or "fullness" of the ridges, the appearance of the growth cap at the top of the column, and the exact shades of green are difficult to describe verbally).

Trichocereus peruvianus is a close relative of T. pachanoi with a higher concentration of mescaline. It is rarely found in the USA and for that reason is potentially more incriminating than T. pachanoi. It will most likely have to be grown from seed. I have personally never tried T. peruvianus, and it is not clear to me how much more potent than T. pachanoi it may be. The only studies I am aware of report that T. pachanoi contains 0.1 % mescaline content *wet weight*, whereas T. peruvianus is reported at 0.8% 'dry weight'.

Peyote is reported at around 1.0 % dry weight, so from this we can infer that T. peruvianus is about as strong as peyote, but it is difficult to compare to T. pachanoi. Most sources seem to believe that T. pachanoi is generally less potent than peyote, but this may depend on the method of cultivation. The mescaline content of T. pachonoi can vary widely depending on growth conditions. In particular, the conditions favoring most rapid growth (frequent waterings) do not produce the highest mescaline content.

There are several other species of Trichocereus with mescaline content comparable to T. pachanoi. Several of them could easily be mistaken for T. peruvianus, but are less potent and have different alkaloidal contents. See the FAQ for more information.

https://erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_growers_guide.shtml

Last edited:
iu

Chavin de Huantar

Chavin de Huantar is an ancient temple located in a remote mountain valley in Peru, where priests with seemingly magical powers presided long before the births of Christ or Confucius. The temple lies about 160 miles north of Lima. Discovered in the late 1800s, it is a temple complex built by one of the oldest known civilizations in South America, the Chavin. Occupation at Chavin de Huantar has been carbon dated to at least 3000 BC, with ceremonial center activity occurring primarily toward the end of the second millennium, and through the middle of the first millennium BC. The earliest evidence of the ceremonial use of San Pedro (huachuma) is a stone carving of a huachumero (huachuma shaman) at Chavin de Huantar.

The location of Chavin helped make it a special place—the temple was an important pilgrimage site that drew people and their offerings from far and wide. At 10,330 feet in elevation, it sits between the eastern (Cordillera Negra—snowless) and western (Cordillera Blanca—snowy) ranges of the Andes, near two of the few mountain passes that allow passage between the desert coast to the west and the Amazon jungle to the east. It is located near the confluence of the Huachesca and Mosna Rivers, a natural phenomenon of two joining into one that may have been seen as a spiritually powerful phenomenon. The main site, Chavin de Huantar, is characterized by huge raised platforms formed from massive blocks of dressed stone.

chavin-de-huantar.jpg

Underground tunnels within the main temple of Chavin de Huantar

The temple complex that stands today is comprised of two buildings: the U-shaped Old Temple, built around 900 B.C.E., and the New Temple (built approximately 500 B.C.E.), which expanded the Old Temple and added a rectangular sunken court. The majority of the structures used roughly-shaped stones in many sizes to compose walls and floors. Finer smoothed stone was used for carved elements. From its first construction, the interior of the temple was riddled with a multitude of tunnels, called galleries. While some of the maze-like galleries are connected with each other, others are separate. The galleries all exist in darkness—there are no windows in them, although there are many smaller tunnels that allow air to pass throughout the structure.

14043364049_acbf05061f_b.jpg

The village with which the Chavin site shares its name is home to about 1,000 people, mostly farmers. A single paved street runs through the middle. Horses and donkeys are frequently tethered on the main drag, and pigs shuffle about on the dirt side streets. The town abuts the site of the ruins, which attract slow but steady tourist traffic. Middle-aged women and young girls sell soft drinks and snacks outside the main gate.

A short walk over a small hill brings you within sight of the ruins—though there isn’t a lot to see at first glance. In the distance is the grassy Square Plaza. Closer to the entrance are the seven massive mounds that have been found at Chavin, including old and newer temple arrangements built over a span of 500 to 1,000 years. Impressive, crumbling walls are visible, along with what’s left of a staircase that led up to what was originally a four-story-high structure. Beneath the temples lies a labyrinth of dim, narrow and exotically named passageways—Gallery of the Madman, Gallery of the Bats, Gallery of the Offerings.

chavin-national-museum.jpg
escultura-azteca-felino.jpg
aab9605907b8fdccfbc4dd6861abb8fb--peru.jpg

The god for whom the temple was constructed is represented in the Lanzon (below) - a notched wedge-shaped stone over 15 feet tall, carved with the image of a supernatural being, and located deep within the Old Temple, intersecting several galleries. Lanzon means “great spear” in Spanish, but a better comparison would be the shape of the digging stick used in traditional highland agriculture. That shape would seem to indicate that the deity’s power was ensuring successful planting and harvest.

ffffc77ec0f795747976302e4f4faa9c.jpg

The Lanzon

The Lanzon depicts a standing figure with bared teeth and protruding fangs. The figure’s left hand rests pointing down, while the right is raised upward, encompassing heaven and earth. The hands have long, talon-like fingernails. The Lanzon deity is a mixture of human and animal features. The fangs and talons indicate associations with the jaguar and the caiman. The eyebrows and hair are rendered as snakes.

The ritual would have begun with the ingestion of the psychedelic cactus, San Pedro. As subjects felt their way through the dark, cramped tunnels, conch horns echoed around them from some unseen source. Water roared through canals beneath their feet (and, strangely, overhead). Mirrors placed in ventilation ducts to reflect the sun poured brilliant shafts of light into the subterranean hallways, only to be “turned off,” thrusting the occupant into total darkness. By the time initiates emerged from the chambers, their perspective would have been altered forever.

Chavin_Rickphoto_4059_banner.jpg

The gates at Chavin de Huantar

Last edited:
peyote.jpg

Huachuma: Healing medicine for modern times

by Ocean Malandra

"When all things are perceived as infinite and holy, what motive can we have for covetousness, for drearier forms of pleasure?" – Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception

Native to the Andean mountain range of South America, Huachuma (Echinopsis pachanoi) is also known as San Pedro (Saint Peter) because it is said to be the key that opens the gates of heaven. With its potential to catalyze deep healing at many levels, both for individuals and societies, it is a “teacher plant” that has much to offer those looking for a profound entheogenic experience.

Huachuma is a tall columnar cactus related to Peyote (Lophophora williamsii) and contains the same psychoactive hallucinogenic ingredient (mescaline). Peyote is widely used by various tribes in Northern Mexico as well as the Native American Church in the United States to produce a visionary state where profound introspection takes place. While Huachuma has been off the radar for many people – even within the plant medicine world – the fact that Peyote cactus is endangered and hard to come by is opening up a new opportunity for Huachuma to play a key role in conscious evolution as a powerful psychedelic natural medicine.

“I encourage people to use huachuma over peyote for one crucial reason: Peyote is highly endangered, only grows inside its native range, and is extremely slow growing,” says Scott Lite, an ethnobotanist, based in Cusco, Peru, who has been studying and working intensely with huachuma for the last 12 years. “Huachuma, however, is common in its native range, grows in abundance, and it grows fast," he says.

2*3gs0oSbB4HMdq_cQEw1QDw.jpeg

Lite is founder of the Ethnobotanical Conservation Organization (EthnoCO.com), which offers workshops, classes, and trips into indigenous areas of the Peruvian Andes and Amazon, and shares information about medicinal and other useful plants through its Facebook page. He also hosts huachuma ceremonies and says mescaline is different than other hallucinogenic substances in some subtle but important ways.

“Huachuma contains mescaline, which is a phenethylamine and is chemically related to MDMA, while LSD, DMT and psilocybin are in the tryptamine family.” He says, “So mescaline is unique among the major hallucinogens in that it is a phenethylamine.”

“Make no mistake, San Pedro can produce visions just like ayahuasca can… At lower doses it has the feel-good happiness of MDMA, with a ‘shroom-like quality of feeling like a child while at the same time being slightly less scary, less jarring, and more loving than either aya or mushrooms.”

Because it is a bit gentler than many of the other plant teachers, Huachuma has earned the nickname “The Grandfather” around the medicine community. Mescaline itself is nontoxic. And, while there are few studies done on huachuma itself, a Harvard Medical School study that investigated the long-term effects of regular peyote use among members of the Native American Church found “no evidence of psychological or cognitive deficits” at all.

Because of its unique pharmacology and gentle action, as well as its abundance and ease of preparation, huachuma is a standout for those who want to explore plant medicine for self-healing.

“While DMT and psilocybin are powerful hallucinogens, they are not as powerful empathogens as mescaline,” says Lite. “Mescaline—whether San Pedro or peyote—could be great for people with PTSD, deep guilt, or other personal issues that require a gentler and more ‘loving’ compound than DMT, LSD, or psilocybin.”

Because of the lack of studies on Huachuma, however, we are going to have to dig deep into the past to uncover this sacred cactus’s true potential to help heal humanity and the world.

Unraveling the Mystery: Huachuma and the Creation of Andean Civilization

Sitting in the shadows of Central Peru’s Cordillera Blanca—the world’s highest tropical mountain range—lie the ruins of Chavin de Huantar, the religious focus of the Chavin. The first developed Peruvian civilization, Chavin laid the groundwork for all Peruvian civilizations to come. The Chavin not only produced the first distinctive artistic style in the Andes region, but also a spiritual belief system that would become the foundation for complex cultures to come, including the Inca.

Huachuma played a central role in the Chavin culture, which lasted from roughly 1500 to 200 BC. In fact, the hallucinogenic may have been what actually inspired the complex civilization to develop in the first place. At the heart of the entire society’s religious and political organization was an elaborate Huachuma ritual, which was performed at the main temple of Chav?n de Huantar.

“It is the real Temple of Doom; the one in Indiana Jones is based off of Chavin itself,” Lite explains. He says "the priests would give the people tons of San Pedro and send them through underground labyrinths. The priests would blow pututus [shell horns] and whisper creepy or spiritual stuff while the person walked through the labyrinth in the pitch black.”

Not unlike the ancient Greek (1200 BC to 323 BC) Eleusinian Mysteries initiation rites, which some scholars say involved psychedelic substances, the ritual was designed to open up common inhabitant to a sacred world view that served to hold together society.

IMG_5321_0%20copia.jpg

Underground tunnels within the main temple of Chavin de Huantar

Participants under the influence of San Pedro spent hours wandering the dark maze, explains Lite, until they rounded a corner and saw the sun shining through a hole in the roof and onto a 15-foot high monolith—the Lanzon, carved to resemble a fanged god covered in snakes.

Simultaneously pointing up and down in the classic “as above, so below” gesture that is also a common motif in Ancient Greece, the Lanzon represented the merging of heaven and earth. Seeing it was the culmination of the psychedelic Huachuma initiation rite; it served to instill in people a fearlessness of death as they realized they were immortal souls in mortal bodies.

While the shamanic priests who performed these rituals were “extremely powerful,” according to Lite, their power was based in “religious awe, not military might.” In fact, there is little evidence for Chavin military organization. Shamanic priests, not kings, were involved in the governing of the society, which developed art and trade to high levels of sophistication. The priests expanded the civilization, to the Peruvian coast and north and south along the Andes, by converting people to their religion and sharing Chavin’s many cultural advancements, including the central ritual of ingesting Huachuma cactus.

While Chavin eventually faded away, its culture was the foundation for later Andean civilizations. Archaeologists have found evidence of San Pedro use at many key ancient cities in the area. (Lite says it still grows near the Chavin de Huantar.) From ancient Bolivia’s Tiwanaku’s (200–1000 AD), which depicts Huachuma alongside ceremonial objects used to consume it, to textiles from the expansive Wari Civilization (600–1000 AD), which once spanned most of the modern Peruvian Pacific coast, San Pedro prominently figures in a spiritual context throughout the ancient Andean world up to the Inca, the last and largest of these complex civilizations.

When the Spanish conquered the Andean region, the time-honored and deeply foundational tradition of huachuma suffered a fate similar to the Eleusinian Mysteries, which some 1,000 years earlier had come to an end under Christianity: Huachuma use was driven underground. Its traditional use is now mostly concentrated in a mountainous and sparsely populated area of Southern Ecuador and Northern Peru, where indigenous groups like the Saraguro have kept the Huachuma ceremony alive.

415db15ec299ab55ac5c59e1ad738177.jpg

Can San Pedro help heal the world?

As mental and public health issues such as addiction, abuse, and depression (the latter now the number one cause of disability in the world, according to the World Health Association) begin to reach epic proportions in the developed world and the shadow of war now looms across the planet, a new “Psychedelic Renaissance” has bloomed. The psychologically and spiritually healing role of these sacred New World hallucinogenic plants is re-emerging. And it’s about time.

Ayahuasca from the Amazon rainforest, an area that was much more resistant to Spanish conquest and able to keep its shamanic traditions more intact, is leading the movement and has been found to be a potent therapeutic tool in everything from alleviating PTSD to lifting depression. But Huachuma also may be able to play an important part in humanity’s healing, which we so desperately need right now.

According to a recently released study from the University of Adelaide in Australia, psychedelics are highly therapeutic for mental health issues because they facilitate an experience of ego dissolution and oneness with creation.

Undoubtedly, this was the experience at the core of the ancient initiation rites at Chavin as well as the Eleusinian Mysteries. While ayahuasca and other psychedelic plants like psilocybin mushrooms also induce a state of oneness, Huachuma’s relative gentleness, special empathy-inducing properties, and history of use in complex urban environments uniquely poise the cactus to play a major role in conscious evolution.

“The ceremonies I run take place in the Cusco region of southern Peru at a special cave that the young Inca elite boys were initiated to be men at,” Scott Lite reveals. “We start with a passage called the ‘plant medicine sutra’ from a book called Zig-Zag Zen,” which combines psychedelic use with Buddhist perspectives. “We thank Pachamama [Mother Earth], the sun, the moon, the stars, Huachuma itself and the Apus [mountain spirits], and then drink the medicine.”

“One by one, I sing, whistle, blow smoke, and clean the energy of each participant with my mapacho smoke and rattle. Then, alone, each participant walks through the last narrow part of the cave, in the river, through the darkness and into the light,”
he continues.

“I try not to get in the way of the medicine too much, letting it do its own work.”

Lit has consumed Huachuma himself some 300 times and has led more than 200 ceremonies as part of the ecological and ethnobotanical offerings that he provides through EthnoCo. His experiences have led him to believe that this sacred plant medicine can help transform individuals and the world.

“Huachuma taught me to love myself, but above all, it taught me I am a warrior of light, one of the gardeners of Eden and that it is my Sacred Duty to protect our mother, Mother Earth, Pachamama,” he says. “It showed me how humanity could turn this Earth into a hell-scape, devoid of life, burned like a desert by mankind’s arrogance. It also showed me how we can turn the Earth into a new Garden of Eden with mankind as her stewards, dutifully protecting that which grows, crawls, swims, walks, or flies.”

Beyond the isolated misery of the ego lies the oneness with all things that is the core of not just the psychedelic experience, but of all the world’s spiritual paths. As a plant teacher that is still relatively unknown yet grows abundantly and is also relatively very simple to prepare, it is time for Huachuma to come forth into the light itself.

San Pedro cactus might well hold the key to unlocking the gates of heaven, right here on Earth.

http://reset.me/story/huachuma-healing-medicine-for-modern-times/

Last edited:
8a5b7883a96533de6f1f75a01fa7dd52.jpg

San Pedro: Master teacher and spiritual healer*

by Jen Sodini

San Pedro cactus, also known as Huachuma, is a fast growing cactus native to the Andes Mountains. It is usually found in Peru, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, and Ecuador, but is also cultivated in many other parts of the world. San Pedro has been used in Andean medicine for healing and religious divination for thousands of years.

While San Pedro cactus is similar to Peyote, it is also different. The mescaline content is very high (200-500mg per 6 g) in Peyote, and a bit lower in San Pedro (.1 to .331). It is also important to note that Peyote tends to be a lot more difficult to experience due to its rarity, and San Pedro can be a lot easier to come by.

Medicinal Properties of San Pedro

San Pedro is considered an extremely potent medicine, which can treat a range of emotional, mental, and physical disorders, and is also effective at treating addictions. Shaman/healers call the plant "El Remedio" (The Remedy), because it is believed that San Pedro's powers can help us "let go of the illusions of the world."

Lesley Myburgh (known in the Andes as La Gringa: "the outsider woman") has led ceremonies with San Pedro for almost 20 years, and when speaking of the cactus, she states:

"It is a master teacher," she says. "It helps us to heal, to grow, to learn and awaken, and assists us in reaching higher states of consciousness. I have been very blessed to have experienced many miracles: people being cured of all sorts of illnesses just by drinking this sacred plant. We use it to reconnect to the Earth and to realize that there is no separation between you, me, the Earth, and the Sky. We are all One. To actually experience this oneness is the most beautiful gift we can receive."

"San Pedro teaches us to live in balance and harmony; it teaches us compassion and understanding; and it shows us how to love, respect, and honour all things. It shows us too that we are children of light, precious and special, and to see that light within us."

"Each person's experience will be unique, as we are all unique, and drinking San Pedro is therefore a personal journey of discovery, of the self and the universe. There is one thing in common though: The day that you meet San Pedro is one you will never forget - a day filled with light and love, which can change your life forever, and always for the better."

The San Pedro Experience

Approximately 1-2 hours after consumption San Pedro will begin to take effect with the experience lasting anywhere from 8-15 hours. Commonly reported effects are extreme sensitivity to light (being able to see/feel every ray light or see people and things "radiate"), resurgence of forgotten memories, the ability to hear (or see) sounds and voices from far away, emotions such as intense feelings of laughing, pleasure, and love are experienced but negative emotions such as crying, screaming or fear can also be experienced as well.

Some claim the effects of San Pedro to be more pleasant than peyote, and believe the psychotropic experience to be less overwhelming and more tranquil.

In the book Plants of the Gods by Richard Evans Schultes, the author offers this quote about San Pedro cactus from a shaman:

"The drug produces .. drowsiness or a dreamy state and a feeling of lethargy..a slight dizziness..then a great vision, a clearing of the faculties..It produces a light numbness in the body and afterward a tranquility. And then comes detachment, a type of visual force..inclusive of all the senses..including the sixth sense, the telepathic sense of transmitting oneself across time and matter - like a kind of removal of one's thought to a distant dimension."

"It is always in tune with the powers of animals and beings that have supernatural powers. Participants in ceremonies are "set free from matter" and engage in flight through cosmic regions, transported across time and distance in a rapid and safe fashion."

*From the article here: https://entheonation.com/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-san-pedro/

Last edited:
BMT-Slider-San-Pedro1.jpg

San Pedro — healing the spirit*

by Damon Orion | Aug 6, 2015

San Pedro is a tall, light green, night blooming, nearly spineless, columnar cactus native to the Andes Mountains. It grows at altitudes of 6,600 – 9,800 feet. This cactus is found in parts of Columbia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina. It is considered the most ancient and revered plant teachers amongst the shamans of Northern Peru.

Don Howard Lawler, a curandero based in the Peruvian Amazon, is a shaman currently conducting San Pedro rituals in the original Chavan style. Lawler has been healing with plant medicines for nearly 50 years. While he believes ayahuasca to be a more effective for physical healing, Lawler feels that San Pedro is the superior spiritual healer and teacher. “The essence of the San Pedro experience is this indescribable opening of consciousness and connection to the oneness all around us of which we are a part,” he says.

Advocates of San Pedro frequently cite its ability to cure drug addiction and alcoholism. By Lawler’s description, huachuma reveals the underlying causes of these addictions by bringing elements of the subconscious mind to the attention of the conscious mind. This can include “things that ritual participants haven’t thought about in years, in some cases since early childhood — often things that have had a profound influence on their adult lives without their being aware of it.” In confronting these unresolved issues, one can find closure and cleansing.

According to Lawler, most of the deep healing work occurs in the weeks and months following the ceremony. During this integrative period, one “begins to refine the composition of one's own life in a wiser, more responsible way.” This manifests in noticeable changes in the way people treat themselves and those around them. “This is not just while one is under the direct influence of the plant — this is a transformation that brings about long-term change,” Lawler claims. “Most people will never be quite the same after this experience.”

In the aftermath of the huachuma ceremony, negative patterns in one’s life will often come to light: old habits, bad habits, bad company, bad environment, a tendency to linger unhappily in a bad relationship, a desire to repair a relationship without knowing how. “San Pedro gives people not only deeper wisdom, but also a certain inner spiritual strength to accept and to acknowledge the negative aspects of their lives..., to get rid of, and to purge those things from their lives,” Lawler says.

*From the article here: http://reset.me/story/huachuma-san-pedro-cactus-healing-the-spirit-and-body/

Last edited:
779af029468cc12e16466481dc04dd64.jpg

5-MeO-DMT and the Spiritual Path to the Divine Light*

After performing over 1,600 ceremonies, I have witnessed the magical healing properties of vaporized venom of Bufo alvarius. I have seen with my own eyes the medicinal application for many illnesses that afflict mankind nowadays.

I have introduced this sacred medicine to doctors, lawyers, psychologists, therapists, my dad, old senile patients, artists, AIDS and cancer patients, severely depressed people, schizophrenic patients, and drug addicts. All sessions turned out with marvelous positive results.

It is the only substance I have witnessed capable of showing us who we really are. It removes our ego-made masks and shows us what we are made of… Light!

As a gynecologist, I haven’t got the time to dedicate my life fully to this sacred molecule and spread the word of its value. But I am humbly proud of what I have done and realized. As an ob-gyn, I am a witness to the birth of humanity, but through this amazing spiritual work, I am also a witness to humanity’s rebirth.

I believe that the secretion of the Bufo alvarius toad was the magical component in the smoke blend used by the Sonoran Yaqui Don Juan Matus in Carlos Castaneda’s book The Teachings of Don Juan, which he loved to call “humito” or “little smoke.” Reading that Castaneda’s experience of smoking humito was such a powerful entheogenic experience can only lead to the suspicion that it actually was 5-MeO-DMT from the Sonoran Desert toad; something that was kept secret for so long, escaping the Spanish conquistadores and the Inquisition that tried to abolish all signs of polytheistic religions.

Hollywood has also secretly tried to capture the magic and power of entheogens such as in the film Renegade, in which Mesoamerican Indians, my ancestors, gained the most sacred knowledge from their treasured entheogens.

One can only presume that everything is in place at the right time, with all happening for a reason. I am not so interested in the past use of this medicine but in the actual and future use of this powerful entheogen.

For some reason 5-MeO-DMT has appeared now. Let’s accept it and embrace it like the Seri Indians have, giving it a proper use, with the respect it deserves.

I suggest preparing the body and the mind for the experience. In order to achieve the maximum knowledge or wisdom one would need to respect and have high intentions for the experience when ingesting an entheogen.

I must emphasize that I have never used an entheogen for entertainment purposes, except for LSD in common doses. All of the hundreds of experiences or trips I have made have had a purpose. My respect for the experience has always been as profound as it is for the substance. I act as a facilitator of the experience in a ceremonial setting.

The ceremonies are shared in a loving context and with mutual respect, with attention paid to what every person requires in their process of evolution. The sole purpose of these ceremonies is to reconnect the human being to the primary or primal Source. All people, regardless of their conditions or gender, may become masters of their own consciousness, and receive privileged access to perform an apocatastasis, returning to their own selves again by means of liberation, healing, purification, and transformation.

Since I was young living in Catorce I have always pursued knowledge to become a better man, to help my relations.

I have always consumed entheogens to attain a religious experience.

Entheogens are the fundamental pillars of my religion, of my relationship with God or the Source or the Light. So instead of going periodically to church or a temple I prefer to have a trip or an entheogenic experience.

I don’t believe in partying with entheogens. If I used them a lot, it was probably because it was my destiny. Any other ordinary individual surely would have lost his or her mind.

Humans suffer from a disease I call “Everlasting Dissatisfaction Syndrome.” We will never be satisfied with what we possess. It is our human desire to want more, be more, in an endless effort to fill a space that will never be filled with material things. Eventually we will end up like a spider trapped in its own web.

Overpopulation, waste, pollution, depletion, and destruction work synergistically to influence humankind in a negative way.

This human desire for overconsumption or consumerism is the main factor obscuring our purpose. Entheogens, I believe, are the cure for this evil human disease.

We must learn to love what we possess and be grateful for the life that is given to us.

There is a relationship between light exposure and endogenous (or naturally produced) DMT. The less exposed our brains are to artificial light, the more DMT will be pumped into the brain’s bloodstream. Without this exposure, ancient Biblical characters such as Moses, Abraham, and Isaac had more DMT endogenously and hence were able to have such profound religious experiences. This explains the multiple revelations of divinity received by humankind in ancient times.

As soon as we created artificial light we deprived ourselves of secreting naturally produced DMT, and maybe 5-MeO-DMT, by the pineal gland. Technology basically separated us from the Light Source, the Divine Light of Consciousness. And that is why I believe now is the time for this medicine to be shared among our tribes worldwide. This might just be the solution we are all waiting for.

The Sonoran Seri Indians name all toads otac, the Yaqui Indians name the desert toads boboc, and the Mayans call all toads Xpek.

Amazed by it they embraced it and now besides using peyote, they use this sacrament in their ceremonies.

Now in my free time I share this molecule and medicine with the people along with my Seri chant and sacred mantras in a ceremonial setting based on respect and the will to be a better person.

I won’t go deep into the testimonials of the individuals who have been a part of this quest, in order to respect their privacy, since many were drug addicts, or had severe mental issues or were living a nightmare, like myself. But just to mention some: women suffering from sexual repression, severely depressed people, victims of strong drug addictions, patients with terminal disease, families separated by madness and reunited by an entheogenic experience — these are a few of the many different circumstances that my dear and precious toads’ secretion has cured and fixed. I have been following up on as many people as possible and have discovered there are definite pre- and post-states of awareness induced by 5-MeO-DMT or other entheogenic experiences.

I recall the experience of a well-known, very bright psychologist. As soon as the medicine entered his body he started to scream, “It burns! It burns!” He yelled uncontrollably. I tried my best to calm him down. Afterward he told me he had been sent to hell, and even breathing burned. It was the most horrifying experience of his life. He complained to me. He demanded an explanation for what I had “done to” him. It took him a long time to calm down. The last complaint came a month after his experience, when he called me asking the same question: “What on earth did you give me, Doctor?”

Whether they have good or bad experiences from 5-MeO-DMT, everyone who tries it evolves in some way. They also contribute in fulfilling my dream-purpose of spreading this Light, curing and healing humanity.

We have a curious capacity to learn from an entheogenic experience. It is crucial to have time to assimilate it and have feedback regarding the experience.

Many can testify that the Truth has set them free.

It has now become more than a mission, a purpose to get together with the Light tribe and share this Light and fulfill the planet’s will.

I have always seen positive results, short- and long-term, everywhere I give this medicine. It has really become more of an honor to be part of this enlightening movement, the Light Revolution of Consciousness.

Now that I have learned from my mistakes I can proudly show my scars. I embrace them and hope to become a better man every single day, conscious of the spiritual world and of every word put into action — thanks to the magical healing and enlightening properties of 5-MeO-DMT.

I am a manifestation of the Light that has come to awaken my brothers and remind them that we are all one. We are one living, conscious being. Our planet is alive and we are all connected to every single thing in the whole multiverse.

Hikuri cleaned my body, showed me the right way to live, Teonanacatl (“flesh of the gods”) enlightened my mind, and the Bufo alvarius or “sapito” (“little toad”) secretion turned on or reconnected my soul with the Divine Light to shine on and through myself, my kind, my offspring, and my planet.

All entheogens - peyotl, hikuri, or jicuri - are God’s Light… God’s molecules.

We are beings of Light that decided to condense into matter through our human-bound form.

Now I only have to look back at my life and my actions to confirm I was destined to have a long spiritual path toward enlightenment. And thanks to these entheogens I have grown to be a good man with a rich spiritual life, devoted to service.

All experiences have made me who I am today: Dr. DMT, Dr. Gerry Alvarius, even Dr. Bufo, or simply Dr. Gerry. Whatever people call me they constantly remind me of my purpose. I humbly accept the honor of delivering this sacred molecule to as many people as possible in my life’s span.

*From the article here:

http://realitysandwich.com/320490/the-god-molecule/

Last edited:
How to prepare San Pedro (Huachuma)

The Ayahuasca Community | April 2018

San Pedro or Huachuma is one of the five most important master plants in the Peruvian jungle. It is a cactus which comes originally from Peru and grows at about 2000 to 3000 meters. Nowadays, the cactus is cultivated in many other countries as well. San Pedro grows in dry regions as well as in wet areas. The cactus contains mescaline and a variety of phenethylamines.

The plant has been used by people and shamans since ancient time. Already thousands of years ago shamans held sacred ceremonies where they called their ancestors and other entities to reach out for help. In these ceremonies, they learned how to protect their tribe, what kind of plants they needed to heal their illneses and much more.

The secrets and the use of the cactus were reserved for the indigenous people and protected by them. It was not so long ago that a foreigner discovered the San Pedro cactus and was invited to take part in a traditional ceremony. Since then, people from all over the world have traveled to South America to make their own experiences with this magical plant.

1*eg8UvuzCd9vq8pNVS0ts7w.jpeg

Preparation

We are going to make a San Pedro brew made with San Pedro powder. You can get the powder from various markets in Peru and other countries in South America. But be careful where you buy the powder…web shops are not ideal. In addition, we also need to buy some citrus fruits. Which kind of citrus fruit you take is up to you. With a citrus fruit, you’ll be able to reduce the strong and sometimes unpleasant taste of the cactus. The consistency will be much easier to drink as well. That’s why we’re going to use them.

When you have other medicinal plants in your garden or around your house and you know them well you can also try to combine them with your brew. One of the most powerful brews I’ve ever tried contained 7 red roses grown by an old lady near my home. Red roses are among the highest vibrating flowers. It’s nice to see how they work together with the San Pedro.

1*aYT1BrOkkFsRa5BzTNEQlw.jpeg

First step

First of all, you take your citrus fruits and chop them into small pieces. Then you fill a big pot with water (the amount of water depends on how many doses you want to make) and put it on the fire or cooking range. We take 3 liters for a brew for 4 people. When the water starts to cook you can put in the citrus fruits and the San Pedro powder and if you have your additional plants. Calculate with 25g powder per person which is a normal dose.

Reduce the heat just a little bit so it’s still cooking and stir with a wooden spoon in the form of an eight, being careful not to to burn the brew at the very bottom.

1*J_SNm_JsxHkxXVmMknCvCw.jpeg

Main part

Now, the brew needs a lot of time to reduce while you have to stir the whole time. This procedure should be like a meditation for you. Try to think and be positive. Put in all your intentions, healing wishes, and blessings.

After about 2 1/2–3 hours the brew should be ready (some of the older recipes are cooked for even longer time — up to 24 hours). Check if the brew is still thin and drinkable. If not add some water and heat the brew up one more time to settle the water. Be aware, that the brew will become thicker when it’s cooled down.

1*F9BkrxTBlbQlnDR8-EYTXQ.jpeg

At the end

When your brew is finished take your pot away from the fire and let it rest for at least an hour. Meanwhile, you can prepare a bottle (plastic or glass). Make sure, that the bottle is completely clean and has an airtight fastening. Once the brew is filled you don’t want to have any air contact at all. Otherwise, the brew will start to oxidate.

The San Pedro is now ready for its ritual. If you want to store the brew for a while you can do that in a fridge. But try to not store it longer than 2–3 weeks because it will start to oxidate and smell very badly. According to some of my own experiences, the brew gets even stronger in this process.

Ceremony

Be careful choosing the place to hold your ceremony, and try to have someone with you who has had some experiences with San Pedro. When you consider those arrangements, you’re ready to travel through your innermost being and to see the world with different eyes. Let your soul connect with the loving spirit of San Pedro and bring healing into your body and soul. Live, love and embrace your life!

Last edited:
max_02_castello.jpg

The Castle of Sammezzano in Tuscany.

San Pedro, an ancient medicine

San Pedro (Trichocereus/Echinopsis pachanoi) is a thin, columnar cactus native to the Andes in South America. It is much faster-growing than peyote, shooting up 12 inches or more in a year and occasionally producing large, white, night-blooming flowers.

Like peyote (and Peruvian torch, among other cacti), San Pedro contains mescaline—one of the longest-studied psychedelics in the world and the first to which that term was applied. Its effects have been described as empathogenic, (similar to MDMA) and potentially life-changing, promoting radical introspection, healing, and a sense of wonder and awe.

Traditionally, as today, San Pedro may be consumed either on its own or with other plants in a ceremonial brew called cimora. While its use as a psychedelic is technically illegal in the US, specimens are widely available for “ornamental purposes.”

Effects

Many people are surprised at how different San Pedro (and mescaline generally) is from other psychedelics they’ve tried. It’s common to feel relaxed and in control, for instance, even while heavily tripping. One user compared its effects to MDMA, but felt they were “more amazing.” The same user went on to say that it was “like all the best effects from all the drugs all put into one… the great body feeling and incredible empathy and understanding of ecstasy… the focus and energy and drive of LSD… the journey effect that I always enjoyed from psilocybin… It was the soberest we had ever felt in our life.”

The onset is generally accompanied by drowsiness or dizziness, often with a sense of tingling or electricity in the veins. There may be nausea, vomiting, and perspiration during this time.

Common visual effects include whirlpools of colored light, flashes in the peripheral vision, kaleidoscopic patterns, and white, ghostlike outlines around people. “Out-of-body” journeys are common, according to curanderos (healers), as is synesthesia (e.g. “feeling” and “smelling” sights and sounds), mild depersonalization, and distortions of spatial awareness. At the same time, ordinary objects in your surroundings may appear more interesting, beautiful, accompanied by amazingly mystical qualities that define the mescaline experience.

tumblr_n4o9jnV0HI1qhymn9o1_500.jpg

Therapeutic use

San Pedro cleansing ceremonies often last all night and may be repeated over several days. In addition to the sacred cactus, curanderos may administer other plants, including other cacti and succulents, lycopods (clubmosses), datura, brugmansia, and Isotoma/Hippobroma longiflora (aka the “Star of Bethlehem”).

Ceremonies traditionally center on a “healing altar” or mesa, upon which are arranged a selection of “power objects”—ancient artifacts, staffs, stones, crosses, images of saints, and so on. These are usually sorted into three zones or fields (campos) according to their energy alignment—positive (life-giving), negative (death-taking), or neutral. Following purification with a bath of “spiritual flowering” or baño de florecimiento, and often the insufflation of tobacco, patients given San Pedro are diagnosed and treated by the healer.

Whatever takes place in the ceremony, it is to the plant, as opposed to the healer or shaman, that cures are generally attributed. The healer is merely a facilitator, “activated” by the cactus to stimulate “the 5 senses of the patient in a familiar cultural environment” using music, perfumes, symbols, and other ritual elements. The traditional ceremony also makes little distinction between the domains of the body and mind. Shamans may recognize the medical causes of disease, and even integrate pharmaceuticals into practice, but they’ll generally look beyond for an underlying spiritual basis. Contemporary practitioners tend to frame this in psychosomatic terms, viewing “illness as a thought form” and the “guidance of the plant” as helping patients “to see the origin of their own illness without judgements or interpretations from others.”

There are some bold claims made about the curative powers of San Pedro, but unfortunately the evidence is anecdotal. One woman, a cancer patient, is said to have entrusted her fate to the plant and, during the ritual, learned why she had cancer and that she had a choice not to have it anymore. According to the healer, “she decided not to have cancer anymore … she realized that life was just too precious once she had seen it through San Pedro’s eyes.”

Recoveries from mood disorders are easier to believe. The same healer claims to have seen victims of sexual abuse overcome their guilt or shame, for instance, by replacing hurtful ideas or “negative winds” with “positive winds” or new insights. As a legal psychedelic in many countries, San Pedro may represent a life-saving alternative to banned substances like psilocybin or LSD—sometimes the only ray of hope for treatment-resistant depression.

In the 1950s and ’60s, mescaline was investigated for its psychotherapeutic potential, particularly in combination with LSD. It was found by some researchers that benefits were correlated with subjects’ willingness to engage with the experience, to face themselves and to act upon the insights received. Interestingly, some of the most significant transformations or breakthroughs came about months after the experience itself, even if the initial psychedelic therapy session seemed to be a failure. Benefits included a greater sense of wellbeing, inner strength, and vitality.

San Pedro, may also be useful for reliving or recalling repressed memories in a psychotherapeutic context, overcoming addiction, and dealing with chronic pain.

*From the article here:

Last edited:
peyote.jpg

Cactus Spirit*

The Economist | Jun 29 2019

For Aldous Huxley, the cactus-derived drug mescaline opened the doors of perception.

Mescaline is the drug that launched modern fascination with psychedelics. It is also the psychedelic for which there is the earliest evidence of human use. At Chavin de Huantar, a temple complex in the Peruvian Andes thought to date to as early as 1200BC, stone carvings show grimacing figures—part human, part jaguar—clutching the oblong San Pedro cactus, one of a few plants known to contain the chemical. Another natural source of mescaline, peyote cactus, has been used in rituals in northern Mexico since pre-Colombian times. Anthropologists studying Amerindian culture, along with botanists and chemists, turned white people on to the stuff, eventually kicking off the psychedelic revolution that is still unfolding at spiritual retreats in California and dance clubs in Ibiza.

Mike Jay’s history of mescaline use is a bit of a mind-altering experience itself, both rollicking and intellectually rigorous. Readers know the drug as the inspiration for Aldous Huxley’s “Doors of Perception” in the 1950s. Mr. Jay grounds his story a century earlier in the white encounter with (and near-extermination of) Native-American culture.

In the 1890s James Mooney, an anthropologist at the Smithsonian Institution, befriended a Comanche chief named Quanah Parker who embraced the religious use of peyote, which had spread from Mexico in the cultural maelstrom accompanying the genocide of Native Americans. Quanah and Mooney saw peyote rituals as a peaceful alternative to the Ghost Dance, an apocalyptic cult that had inspired a series of doomed uprisings. They incorporated the Native American church, which blended Indian and Christian elements. Its right to use peyote was enshrined in law in 1994.

Meanwhile the pharmaceutical industry, on the hunt for profitable plant-derived compounds like cocaine, was eager to experiment with the cactus. A Detroit-based drug company marketed a powdered form as an Indian panacea. In Berlin a celebrity pharmacologist named Louis Lewin failed to isolate the psychoactive ingredient because he was unwilling to test it on himself. A less squeamish chemist, Arthur Heffter, worked it out after swallowing an alkaloid derived from the cactus and finding himself immersed in classic mescaline hallucinations: carpet patterns, ribbed vaults, intricate architectural phantasms.

Mr. Jay takes seriously mescaline’s ability to produce such visual and emotional revelations. But he also wants to demystify the heroic accounts of some of its evangelists, who have imagined it as a delivery system for their own aesthetic or spiritual obsessions. Genteel Edwardian experimenters like Havelock Ellis and W.B. Yeats saw it as a pathway to the symbolist worlds of that period’s art. Jazz-age eccentrics like Aleister Crowley took it as a direct line to the occult. Antonin Artaud worked mescaline’s effects into surrealism, Jean-Paul Sartre into existentialism. Huxley, who had studied with a Hindu swami, thought it promised mystical experiences for all. In a darker vein, Hunter Thompson turned a mescaline trip into the lunatic climax of “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”. For Mr. Jay, this marks a moment when the drug culture was “leaving the utopian dreams of the Sixties in its dust”.

Doctors’ hopes for mescaline have foundered too—a fact worth remembering as psychedelics draw renewed medical interest. Some 20th-century psychiatrists thought mescaline might unlock the mechanism of schizophrenia. It didn’t. Its effects are too unpredictable for clinical applications: it can produce elation or paranoia, elaborate visions or none. The let-down spurred a search for related compounds such as LSD and ecstasy, which have more reliable effects at lower doses.

For Mr. Jay, the most rewarding way to take the drug remains the Native American “half moon” peyote ceremony, guided by an experienced shaman and surrounded by fellow travelers on their own spiritual roads. When consuming mescaline, as with many things in life, it is a mistake to focus too much on the commodity, and too little on the company.

*From the article here:

Last edited:
10853022_1516897318587441_1622664491_n.jpg

Finding psycho spiritual healing with San Pedro

Psychedelic Times

After the nausea wanes, San Pedro (huachuma) enters and moves through your consciousness. You enter a lucid but dream-like state and your body feels numb. As the numbness grows, you feel like your soul is voyaging beyond your body as you experience extremes of joy and sorrow. As worldly objects glow with ethereal color, you perceive a significant underlying energy to all things, and the world and yourself in it seem to click together in one huge, expansive understanding.

This is typical of an experience with huachuma, a psychedelic substance extracted from the San Pedro cactus. While huachuma has been used by indigenous cultures of western South America for thousands of years — making it the oldest recorded psychedelic medicine — it hasn’t as enjoyed the popularity of the more famed psychedelics like LSD and psilocybin mushrooms. However, those that have experienced this powerful plant agree that it is strong medicine for whatever ails you.

The “greatest plant teacher”

Huachuma is a lesser-known shamanic medicine, but one that some consider the greatest of all plant teachers on the South American continent. It’s derived from the San Pedro cactus and comprised principally of mescaline — in its pure form, a psychedelic similar in effect to LSD or psilocybin. Though it has parallels to the iboga ceremonies of West Africa and the ayahuasca ceremonies of the Amazon, huachuma and the curanderos who use it originate in the Andes of Peru and surrounding desert regions.

Its history stretches back as far as 1200 BCE, when it was used by the Chavín culture on the west coast of South America. The Chavín produced many sacred designs of a deity clutching the distinctive cactus, making it the oldest recorded psychedelic medicine. It may have its roots as a sacrament to ancient rain cults. Its use today extends into northern Chile, Bolivia, and Ecuador, where many curanderos practice in the original Chavín tradition.

Huachuma is ingested as either a dried powder or a bitter, viscous tea made from the most potent parts of the San Pedro cactus. The effects can take anywhere from 40–90 minutes to begin and last up to 14 hours. Though illegal to consume in the United States, it’s legal in Peru and Bolivia where its oldest practitioners reside.

For both of these reasons, people interested in a ceremony should consider traveling to its source to embark on your own huachuma healing journey. It is considered safe in these countries, and to date, there have been no reports of problematic use of San Pedro. Huachuma is known for its “body load” — some remark on the nausea and increased heart rate it can bring, but as with many shamanic substances (like the discomfort that comes from eating root bark in an iboga ceremony), many consider these negatives necessary aspects of the healing experience.

In Peru, curanderos have used huachuma to treat depressive symptoms, alcoholism, and mood disorders. Those who have undergone the ceremony report that they are able to connect to their divine, true self. A feeling of universal belonging—the sense that we are all one—is common. Uniquely, many users report that the huachuma presents them with “tests” that teach valuable lessons. Practitioners often report a deep and heightened perception of the world as it truly is. For those struggling to know themselves or understand others, huachuma presents a unique way to specifically explore your inner psyche and your greater place in the world.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
iu

Is San Pedro a “miracle healer”?

San Pedro has been used for thousands of years in shamanic healing ceremonies and through it there are said to have been a number of ‘miracle cures’ to a variety of illnesses, including cancer, diabetes and paralysis, as well as emotional and psychological problems such as depression and grief.

San Pedro is taken in the form of a cold tea made by boiling sections of the tall mescaline cactus (Trichocereus pachanoi) which grows at high altitudes in the Andes of Peru. It’s more traditional name is huachuma but it has other names too, most significantly “El Remedio,” The Remedy, referring to its healing and visionary powers which, shamans say, enable us let go of “the illusions of the world.” San Pedro is said to open a gateway for us into a dimension where we can experience the world as divine.

The earliest evidence for its use as a healing sacrament is a stone carving of a San Pedro shaman found at the Jaguar Temple in northern Peru, which is almost 3,500 years old. Textiles from the same period depict the cactus with jaguars and hummingbirds, two of its guardian spirits, with stylised spirals representing the visionary experience.

Little is written about San Pedro, and no research has been conducted into its effects. We know it was used to heal illnesses, and to see the future through its prophetic and divinatory qualities, to rekindle one's love and enthusiasm for life. The ethnobotanist, Richard Evans Schultes, writes:

"Participants in ceremonies are ‘set free from matter’ and engage in flight through cosmic regions… transported across time and distance in a rapid and safe fashion."

He quotes an Andean shaman who describes its effects:

“First, a dreamy state, then great visions, a clearing of all the faculties. Then detachment, a type of visual force inclusive of the sixth sense, the telepathic state of transmitting oneself across time and matter, like a removal of thoughts to a distant dimension.”

That, however, is more-or-less, it.

I put this dearth of information to La Gringa, the female shaman or curandera I now work with when I take groups to the Andes for my Cactus of Vision programme to explore methods of Andean healing. “San Pedro is a master teacher,” she said.

“It helps us to heal, to grow, to learn and awaken, to reach higher states of consciousness. I have been blessed to have experienced many miracles: people being cured of all sorts of illnesses just by drinking this plant."

“We also use it to reconnect and to realise that there is no separation between us, the Earth, and the Sky. We are all one. It therefore teaches us to live in balance and harmony, compassion and understanding, and how to love, respect, and honour all things. The day you meet San Pedro your life is changed forever… always for the better.”

In La Gringa’s view San Pedro heals by changing our perception of reality – our belief in what is real and possible for us – so we understand our true power and the healing abilities we have. “It shows us reality as it actually is, not how we think it is,” she says. “It changes what we think of as real so we see the power we humans have: we can manifest whatever we choose – if we believe we can.”

With new beliefs we can heal ourselves of anything, since all illness, shamanically-speaking, arises from self-perception. Every disease we are prone to or condition we suffer from is, in this sense, at least partly psychosomatic: we create ill-health because of how we think and feel about ourselves and the world around us – which means we can "un-create" it too by “changing our minds” as a result of our San Pedro experiences.

"There is another sense though in which San Pedro gives us a new perspective on what is real. La Gringa offers an example from when she was first working with the cactus and had an experience which “overturned everything I thought I knew.”

In her visions, a stairway of light appeared on a nearby hill. Assuming it was a hallucination, a trick of her mind, she called her shaman to help interpret its meaning.

“There is nothing to interpret,” he shrugged. “It is a stairway of light.”

“You mean you see it too?”
she asked.

“Of course,” he said. “Take a photograph if you don’t believe it is there.”

She thought he was crazy, of course. How can you photograph a vision, something just in your head? But she took the picture anyway and when she later got it developed, there it was: the stairway of light, just as she’d seen it. She called her shaman again and he came over to look at the photo.

“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you!” he said. “These things exist. San Pedro opens your eyes to what is already there!”

The photograph she took that day is reproduced in my book, The Hummingbird’s Journey to God, which is the first to be written about San Pedro healing.

“With that experience – and there have been many others – San Pedro taught me to believe,” she says. “Before it I used to walk through this world asleep. Now I notice everything, and I have a new respect for the Earth, for myself and for others.”

This new sense of respect is consistent among all of the participants I have worked with on my trips to Peru as well. Simon, a businessman from Gibraltar, put it this way: “San Pedro showed me just how beautiful life is. I had a sense of completion, like I had healed everything that needed to be healed. I am so grateful for the insights it gave me.”

Tracie, a drug counsellor from Australia says: “San Pedro was life-changing. I felt peace and acceptance and an overwhelming sense of belonging to the earth and the importance of every curve of the mountains, every stone and blade of grass; all part of the same incredible tableau and all of equal importance. Through the eyes of San Pedro the world is an exceptionally beautiful place and I can bring its beauty to mind – and into reality – by just remembering the experience.”

Jamie, a carer from America, was “overcome with tears of joy and gratitude… for my ancestors for bringing me into this world, for giving me this beautiful opportunity to be here under this sky, with these birds and gently swaying trees, for making my life so beautiful and delivering me to this place where I arrived in full knowledge and love of myself.”

"There is something about the experience that lingers too. It is not just a momentary ‘drug trip,’ but an encounter with the divine and with ourselves that can change lives."

“It was the most powerful, profound experience of my life,”
says Donna, a teacher from the UK. “I became energy, the breath of life, infinite and eternal love. I now dedicate my life to honour and integrity and accept my path rather than trying to dictate it.”

Kathryn, an addictions counsellor, says something similar: “I feel changed, not coming down from the mind and heart-opening experience at all… the lessons are ever-clearer as I share them with others.”

Other accounts are more direct and succinct. “This experience will never leave me!” says Kane. And, according to Michael, “The message of San Pedro was clear: I create the reality I want. Anything seemed possible. I was transformed and began to create what I desired.”

These sound like spiritual or emotional changes, but San Pedro can also heal physical problems. One person La Gringa treated, for example, was a woman whose husband had died then, just three months later, her son was murdered. She was shattered. Her world fell apart and she had a stroke which paralysed her arm and led to the onset of diabetes.

After ineffective treatments from doctors in South Africa,where she lived, she decided to try San Pedro. “I gave her the tiniest amount,” says La Gringa, “then she lay in my arms and cried her heart out for five hours. That is a good description for what happened actually, because, through the eyes of San Pedro, I saw strands of energy coming from her heart and circling her arm like a tourniquet. I began pulling them out and throwing them away."

“The next morning there was a miracle. Her arm had regained all movement and, when she was tested, her diabetes had gone too. I asked her later about her San Pedro experience and she said she had felt a lot of pain in her heart, which is where I had seen the energy of grief that was binding her. So as well as curing her physical problems San Pedro showed her why she had them: because of the emotional distress she had been unable to let go of."

“What I learned is that illness is not a ‘thing’ that is in us; it is not ‘diabetes’ or ‘a stroke’; it is a belief we carry: that we must mourn for those we have lost, for example – or for ourselves – through pain or disability that makes our suffering visible. Illness is a thought form; a negative pattern we hold on to. San Pedro shows us this thought form; then the next time it arises we can make a conscious choice to think and act differently.”

Another example is David, a young man who moved to Peru after his divorce and then found lumps in his body. He “just sort of knew” they were cancerous. He visited a specialist in one of Peru’s hospitals and a lump was removed for analysis. It turned out that it was, indeed, cancerous, and he was recommended for chemotherapy with the proviso that he should expect only limited success.

“I had no money for treatment and, given the prognosis, there didn’t seem much point anyway. I resisted San Pedro as an alternative, though, because I didn’t believe in plants or spirits."

“A friend of mine knew some shamans, however, and without telling me, arranged a healing for me at his house. I wasn’t there but they drank San Pedro and sent me prayers for good health. I found out later that the energy was so strong at that ceremony that every electrical socket blew in the house when they sent their good wishes to me. The shaman said it was a sign that the energy causing my cancer had also unblocked, and that my tumors were gone."

“The next day I visited the hospital to see how much chemo I was going to need. The consultant did more tests and said the results were strange: there was a ‘signature’ of cancer in my platelets, but no lumps in my body anymore and so no need for treatment."

“A few weeks later I agreed to take part in another ceremony. Not long into it I experienced tremendous pain, like my heart was breaking in two. I stood up and began to purge.
What I threw up I can only describe as unearthly. It looked like wafers of glass which were completely solid and transparent. I could pick them up and look through them. I asked the shaman what they were."

“’They are the energy which was stuck inside you’”,
he said. “ ’They have been blocking your heart for years so you could not love life and were inclined towards death. Now they are out and you are free of cancer.' I tried to stay sceptical, but he was right. I have been well for the last nine years and was tested a year ago and I was totally clear."

“What went through my mind when I threw up that glass was rage over my divorce. I don’t know if emotions like that can cause cancer but I am more open-minded now and from that day forwards I have never had a problem. I am happier, more relaxed and no longer angry. I have a new direction in life.”

San Pedro, again, showed David why he had cancer and told him he had a choice: in blunt terms that he could die or change his mind. He decided not to be angry or have cancer anymore because he realised how precious life was when seen through San Pedro’s eyes.

“This plant offers us soul retrieval or, rather, life retrieval,” says La Gringa. “We hold onto negative beliefs within our bodies where they manifest as physical problems; at the same time, our good energies are blocked and the fullness of our souls is not expressed. San Pedro removes our negative beliefs so the positive ones shine through – and then we heal ourselves.”

Last edited: