Ibuprofen induced hypogonadism in men

abzlove

Greenlighter
Significance
Concern has been raised over declining male reproductive health in humans. Our study addresses this issue by extending data showing antiandrogen effects of analgesics and suggests that such compounds may be involved in adult male reproductive problems. Using a unique combination of a randomized, controlled clinical trial and ex vivo and in vitro approaches, we report a univocal depression of important aspects of testicular function, including testosterone production, after use of over-the-counter ibuprofen. The study shows that ibuprofen use results in selective transcriptional repression of endocrine cells in the human testis. This repression results in the elevation of the stimulatory pituitary hormones, resulting in a state of compensated hypogonadism, a disorder associated with adverse reproductive and physical health disorders.

complete study:

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/4/E715

Thanks for posting mate, it's an interesting study for sure!

This is interesting on two counts-
- I have friends who ultramarathon and they abuse (IMO) OTC pain killers. Has to eventually hinder performance. Especially if they are, as they say, "natural"- however I think that, at best means they restrict themselves to TRT level doses. *wry smile*

- I have experienced severe ED when dosed with either Motrin or other OTC NSAID's. Probably a hell of thing to say on my second post here (long, long time lurker) but I was male partner to a FemDom who cammed. Basically I got beaten... and her & I's thing: burned. Enough we basically gave up because we either grossed people out or the majority seemed to think we were faking. Anyway, first time on cam I took double the max dose on the bottle thinking I could handle more pain. No it actually in reduced my ability that way, in that context, as I was not able to access my will-power or my libido as I had done very well before the first "cam date", and after in ongoing play. And not only that, but there was nothing, absolutely nothing going on in my genitals. Worse than the worst stim-dick.

Based on that, I think my ultra marathoner's should be able to perform at their hobby better by gritting through it, but I am not all that athletic so I keep my opinion to myself.

Ok reading that fully. So to dumb it down, what we in PED call the HPTA axis is running a little hotter than normal. But the Test concentrations stay flat, indicating impaired production of testosterone... one tested aspect (LH) indicates 18% up in 2w and 23% up in 44d. With no corresponding result in testosterone.

In a weird way I am wondering if this can be used as PCT, by hoping for a rebound when stopping, but I guess if it's shutting off the testes, then no.

I wouldn't see any potential for PCT, no. It's basically implicating a mechanism for NSAID harm to the HPTA. Elevated LH with physiological test is an indication of correctly functioning feedback regulation, thus implying endogenous response to LH in the testes is attenuated by treatment.

As regards libido and ED, bear in mind effects of an NSAID aren't likely to be either (a) acute or (b) as straightforward as more/less test = more/less libido/ED. Dopamine/prolactin/NE play a major role in arousal and libido, as do things like the melatonin system and a whole bunch of others we don't really understand yet and that interact in complex ways. Which is not to say that there isn't some other way the drug could be affecting things, of course.

BTW - welcome to the forum osft! :)