• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Psychological effects coming off methamphetamine

Anne.brittany90

Greenlighter
There has been so many ups and downs happy days and suicidal days. Never a consistent balance of emotions they are always on the roller coaster of doom. After months of abstinence there has not seem to be any changes in how I feel about myself. The happy cloud time..I dispise myself. My question is and I'm begging to know what is going on and will I ever be okay. I keep tripping up because why not. Psychosis while I'm clean, psychosis while I'm using so I would rather use the drug so I can have an excuse for my mental miseries.

Did anything striking happen to you when you used? Like, some memory you have that just trumps all other memories?

You still are the person you were before meth, she's just in hiding, it sounds like. Maybe this is the start of a crisis that would use the support of a therapist? IDK. It just sounds pretty deep and i'd hate for you to continue suffering if merely staying sober won't cut it.

Best wishes,
madness00

I appreciate you. Ive gone through some really traumatizing things that left me a little not okay and I know it has had major after effects on me mentally. The trumps other memories..I do have that problem. But if she's in hiding I hope to finally find her and soon. I need her.

dopamine...takes a minute to get back to what was normal for you, and meth...well meth burns thru a lot of dopamine

i didnt write this i literally just read it in another thread before i came here:
It takes much longer for the brain to heal from stimulant use than from opiate dependency. Meth really "amps up" the release of dopamine over and over, so the ability to feel good naturally has been gone for years, depending on how long you have used stimulants. This is something that I noticed right away; I did not have to go through several months of waiting to have energy and a clear minded ambition, along with other basic functions. This is why relapse was so predominant. You just get tired of waiting to feel better and right away when you use it comes back. So it's a tricky drug and very deeply embedded in the psych. It's almost like there are two kinds of addictions?dopamine vs endorphins. Both are vital neurotransmitters for feeling well.

it sucks feeling like youre never getting better believe me i know, but if youre already off it id say stay off, a meth habit is only sustainable for so long and youll eventually be right back where youre at now, only worse. try naturally releasing dopamine on your own, music, sex/masturbation, a funny movie or tv show you like. also not too sure how it affects dopamine but exercise couldnt hurt

After a year things should be much, much better.

But as said, it's a super powerful drug, so coming off of it will take time to adjust to. It may sound strange, but this is evidence that your brain is healing.