toxic/lethal dose of pseudoephedrine?

Forever Changes

Bluelighter
I did a google but didn't come up with any solid results.

I couldn't see a sticky thread here about lethal doses of drugs, forgive me if I've missed it

thanks. I know there's never any hard and fast rules for LD50s or minimum lethal doses because it depends on the individual, but I took 8 60mg pseudoephedrine pills (480mg) and became concerned when I read on wiki that the lethal dose for blood concentration is only 10-70 mg/litre

I'm OK now though - didn't experience any effects from it, good or bad

Bear in mind 371mg/kg mouse = about 30mg/kg human. So for a typical 75kg male, that would be 2250mg. Of course, if you have a heart condition, it would be much less. And other factors (eg dehydration) would increase the risk of clots and strokes.

Bear in mind 371mg/kg mouse = about 30mg/kg human. So for a typical 75kg male, that would be 2250mg. Of course, if you have a heart condition, it would be much less. And other factors (eg dehydration) would increase the risk of clots and strokes.

so the blood concentration LD is going to be very different from the 'weight' LD?

so the blood concentration LD is going to be very different from the 'weight' LD?

Not entirely sure what you mean mate. The difference between dosing in man and mouse is to do with a lot of factors, including metabolism in particular. And weight is usually used as a rough proxy for drug tissue distribution/concentration, though obese people will have less vascular capacity and so probably a higher blood concentration of water soluble drugs, but lower concentration of lipid-happy drugs like pseudo.

if the lethal blood concentration is 70mg/litre and you've got about 5 litres of blood in your body then only 350mg should be enough to kill you, but I couldn't find any LD info for kilograms

Anyway I don't think Pseudoephedrine is that great for stimulation - probably not much better than caffeine

if the lethal blood concentration is 70mg/litre and you've got about 5 litres of blood in your body then only 350mg should be enough to kill you, but I couldn't find any LD info for kilograms

Anyway I don't think Pseudoephedrine is that great for stimulation - probably not much better than caffeine

No, that's not how it works mate.

You may only have a fixed blood plasma volume, but drugs diffuse into all the tissues of the body, and they're also absorbed and metabolised at different rates. There is no way to predict it in the way you're thinking, which is why the LD50 needs to be studied.

But yes, pseudo is a crap stimulant. Caffeine is much superior, as is guarana, yerba mate and a whole bunch of other more pleasant and legal compounds.

With due respect CFC (long time lurker), so any of those listed have the pulmonary clearing capability of Pseudo?

I have found in direct comparison 2-4mg of Asthalin vs 30-60 mg of Pseudo (still OTC legal in Canada), I prefer the latter for doing 5-to-15 km fast mountain bike rides. Usually still to the low end dose.
In both cases I got heart arrhythmia when pushing hard at 4mg and 60mg. So I can't imagine 480mg. Kinda wondering if OP is for real, or if there is filler somehow counted on his pills? I am fairly sure what he is describing would definitely be lethal for me.

With due respect CFC (long time lurker), so any of those listed have the pulmonary clearing capability of Pseudo?

I have found in direct comparison 2-4mg of Asthalin vs 30-60 mg of Pseudo (still OTC legal in Canada), I prefer the latter for doing 5-to-15 km fast mountain bike rides. Usually still to the low end dose.
In both cases I got heart arrhythmia when pushing hard at 4mg and 60mg. So I can't imagine 480mg. Kinda wondering if OP is for real, or if there is filler somehow counted on his pills? I am fairly sure what he is describing would definitely be lethal for me.

Ha, well I guess we all have our stimulant preferences, but most don't much like pseudo. If you need to increase PCC you may find a quick puff on an inhaler more potent.

Ha, well I guess we all have our stimulant preferences, but most don't much like pseudo. If you need to increase PCC you may find a quick puff on an inhaler more potent.
This made me chuckle ?