• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Feeling shame, opiate addict

Gunslinger354

Bluelighter
Hi new here ,dont know where to go, ive addmitted to my wife last night im a opioid addict ? i was taking 40mg of hydrocodone every 6 hours on the dot every six hours, i carried pills in my pocked if we were going out to make sur i can function, i emptied a chapstic bottle so i could carry 6- 10/325 vics on me at work, my script wasnt due to refill till thurs into friday (midnite) we hv a 24 hour pharmacy so my intent was to go as soon as the minute hand clicked 12:01, but.......i couldnt make it, i had to wake my wife up with tear filled eyes and tell her her husband of 20 years is a addict, the shame is overwhelming , she MADE me take one 10 vic before we went to er. Omg the shame again ,, all these people know now. Guess at this point im 24 hr with no vic but the emotional shame i feel is hkrribe

Hey there, I moved your post to its own thread here. People will have plenty to say to offer support and help here. :) First off, I was an opiate addict for a long time. I know how terrible it feels. I also know what it's like to hide it from your spouse. A word of advice, after this you need to not hide it from her anymore. One breach of trust can be pretty easily forgiven by many people, and she'll probably want to help you. But if you keep lying and going back and she keeps finding out, it will be very difficult to regain that trust and your relationship will quickly fall apart. My marriage ended because I couldn't stay off (though in my case I was using opiates to hide from my marriage which was a bad one so it was a good thing in the end - but it doesn't sound like this is the case for you).

The ER really wasn't necessary, FYI... nothing much they can do, they won't give you opiates because opiate withdrawal is not dangerous, it just sucks. The best thing they could do for you honestly is probably to just keep you there and give you some benzos for comfort until you get through withdrawals, which should only last a few days. Then you won't be physically addicted anymore, although you'll still have cravings for a while.

Opiate withdrawal is very unpleasant, and the worst part is the feelings of depression and hopelessness... but it's just your brain being unbalanced, and it's not actually life-threatening.

How long have you been addicted?

This guy is trolling. This guy isnt serious. Almost sounds like he is mocking addiction to me

I don't think it's fair to assume this user is trolling. Let's assume they're being genuine... we don't want people to feel unwelcome or judged.

Ya I'm not judging. Just seems overdramamtic to me. Maybe im wrong. Maybe not.

I don't think you should feel ashamed. Not everyone will judge you. I, for one, lost a husband to opiates. We had a three-year-old daughter and I had to raise her alone. Not everyone walks away from this. if not used properly, or abused it will end in death. So instead of feeling ashamed, try feeling your will to get control of this. I am glad to see you are seeking help and you have already made an excellent choice by choicing bluelight. There are a lot of caring and supportive people here to help guide you. We are our worst judges. We put ourselves in a category of being this monster. When in turn, we are just human making human mistakes. The only real mistakes are the ones that we don't improve and get back control of. You can message me here anytime if you need to talk. There are more people than you realize that can help you. Your first step is reaching out and I am so glad you did. Keep your head up. Yesterday was yesterday and tomorrow is your choice.

My last vic was a 10 at fri/sat midnite , by that time withdraels was horrible, i was hoping to save that last 10 because monday was gonna be the first time in years my wife would get a chance out alone without the kids, one autistic and one who has epileptic seizers all the time, we finally convinced my mom to watch them monday so we could date but......i couldnt do it ,so yes shame is how i feel, fyi i started using heavy in july 2015 when my wife left me ,she came back a week or two later but i still needed the bump in mood from the pills fast foward to sundaynighglt,out of pills but one and in hell now its tues 10p im doing ok i guess but dont know wt im in for

Your WRONG!!!! Im here looking for help , sorry if it seemed dramatic but thatsvhow it played out

You're not being over dramatic.. it's a pretty substantial step to take in life. It's both a physical fight as well as a psychological one, with social implications as well. Letting an addiction go unchecked has ruined a lot of lives, even taken some along the way.

Dealing with the shame and intense emotions amplified by withdrawal is one of the more difficult aspects, in my experience. When you're used to dealing with emotions by getting high it can be hard enough, but factor in that you will experience more intense emotions as well and it makes sense why the body and brain basically scream for it like it will die without.

As far as what other people think- try your best not to worry or stress over it. Know that you are doing the right thing, that you are taking care of yourself and taking the step to free yourself from opioids. Chances are the truth would have come out one way or another- either from getting clean or from getting too fucked up... Don't let anyone shame you away from the truth and away from recovery, and yourself included in that list.

What did they do at the ER? If you are serious about getting over this, then it will be necessary to let the doctor who prescribed the pain killers know what is going on, and that you do not want any opioids now or in the future.

On the bright side, 80-100mg of hydrocodone per day is a lot, but isn't that much in comparison to how bad it can get. At my worst, I was taking 50-100mg of hydrocodone along with fentanyl patches, massive amounts of benzos and weed, sprinkled with amphetamine, cocaine, lsd, heroin, codeine, methadone, and whatever else I could get my hands on. Was forced to detox in jail, alone in a padded cell with not even a pot to piss in. Went into a psychosis, probably had seizures, and more. It was hell, but the important thing is that I made it through.

Prepare to lose your guts. I'd stock up on TP and keep a waste basket next to the toilet. Having to puke while you can't get off the toilet isn't uncommon. You have opioid receptors in your gut, which is why taking opioids makes you constipated. When you stop, it will have the opposite effect. Staying hydrated is very important and an electrolyte drink like Pedialyte can do wonders. Try to eat a few small meals throughout the day, even if you puke it up.

Heat pads for the restless legs and hot showers or baths can help. Your muscles will probably start to feel uncomfortable and tense if they haven't already. This is normal, don't panic. Maybe a small walk around the yard or the block might help- probably don't want to go too far though.

Communicate whats going on with your wife. Being alone, isolated in a dark room with your thoughts for too long isn't good. Maybe refer your wife to support groups or sites like this to help her understand what is going on.

You'll need to take it easy for the next few weeks as well. Stress will likely serve as a trigger and only make things worse. Your body and mind has limits- know that by resting and allowing yourself to recover you are not being lazy. I wouldn't push yourself until after a week or two at least. Even after then, don't expect to jump back to 100% right away. Look up post-acute withdrawal, it is what you will experience after the acute withdrawal(what you are in now, and for the next 2 weeks or so).

Feel free to ask us any questions here, even if it's just for emotional support. Recovery is nothing to be ashamed of, and addiction is nothing to beat yourself up over. It's far more common than most would imagine, in fact most people today either know someone, know of someone, or have gone through it themselves. It's not a matter of weakness or lack of willpower, it's the physiological results of taking an addictive drug. Idk if it's more funny or sad that doctors are more than willing to get people stuck on addictive drugs and then act like it's not their job to help a person get off them.

Thank you for your kind words and in comparrison (to your story NO OFFENCE) i guess i wasnt too far gone, my wife is a nures practicioner (you see her when doc isnt avail she ranks righg under dr) shes been monitoring my vitals closely, i just feel a lil edgy righg now 12:23 am wed but just on the edge, er gave me colonodine and ativan i rhunk

none taken, I was pretty bad admittedly. In a lot of ways i'm lucky to have survived the amount of drugs I was using alone, not even considering potentially fatal withdrawal. Psychologist have said I'm lucky to still be cognitive and coherent. It's easy to minimize the extent of the damage when I overlook things like this, so it's good and humbling for me to talk about it.

If you don't have a problem with benzos then they can help with the edginess, nightmares and sleeplessness. But I would not use them unless I was very familiar with doses, and definitely no longer than one week. It sounds like you are in good hands tho. Opioid withdrawal isn't known to be fatal unless there are other health complications, but checking your vitals is smart and preemptive if anything were to happen.

How are you feeling mentally? I'm guessing you felt a lot better after leaving the ER with those. Might not be a bad idea to talk to you dr about a weeks worth of Ativan to get through the wd's.

I saw my doc that afternoon once i got out of the er, well the pa and she just acted so cold made me feel worse, but i did get a clonidine and ativan script and it SEEMS to help. As far as benzos i have no idea what that is, i only used hydrocodone which i was prescibed or percocets from a friend if i ran out, this is morning 3 so hourswise im on 55 with no vics

Hi Gunslinger,

Well that just sucks that they weren't that kind to you!!!! Don't worry though, all that matters is that you stay on track, and your wife sounds very supportive so that's great.

Oh and Benzo's are Benzodiazepine's, a class of drugs used for anxiety. Which is what your ativan script is. So that will help you

Proud of you you're doing really well, you will get through this.

We are all here for you.

Hugs,
your friend,
here for you anytime,
Ash.

Thanks ash really! I dont know how im suppose to feel at this point, i fill just a bit edgy no so much skin crawling anymore, i slept 6 hrs straigt last night. So i have no idea where im at in this process, my main fear is how will i feel once im done detoxing, i mean i see people walking around smiling having fun and knowing i was like that but i needed vics to do it, how is it gonna feel with out it

You're doing a great job!!!

You're sleeping so that's awesome, the ativan helps with that. Insomnia is a killer in wd's so I am thankful you have those to help you.

Maybe get some loperamide (immodium) too for all the trips to the bathroom. ; )

As far as people walking around happy, that will be you too, honestly. You are not broken, ok? Just very temporarily repairing yourself, and you will.

You will be happy again without the drugs. I promise.

Try to be kind and patient with yourself. I'm proud of you.

Here for you anytime my friend,
Ash.

Thanks ash really! I dont know how im suppose to feel at this point, i fill just a bit edgy no so much skin crawling anymore, i slept 6 hrs straigt last night. So i have no idea where im at in this process, my main fear is how will i feel once im done detoxing, i mean i see people walking around smiling having fun and knowing i was like that but i needed vics to do it, how is it gonna feel with out it

Ash thank you, how long do you think till i feel some sort of normalcy ? Right now my biggest issue is the tears , i cant keep from crying when i talk with my daughter and wife ,

Hahaha,

The tears. Not laughing AT YOU at all. Just brings back memories. I had quite a few crying jags during wd's. They only last a week. I know. It gets old fast.

1 week out the physical wd's should be gone.

By 2 weeks the depression is gone or at least getting a fuck of a lot better.

Hang on, you've got this. And we've got you.

Hell you're already doing a great job.

Here if you need me.

Your friend,
Ash.

Ash thank you, how long do you think till i feel some sort of normalcy ? Right now my biggest issue is the tears , i cant keep from crying when i talk with my daughter and wife ,

Gunslinger.

I think things will be better for you though than they were for me.

Smoother. I forgot you have comfort meds. I didn't. I cold turkeyed.

Ativan is a HUGE help.

You'll be good.

Ash.