• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Feeling shame, opiate addict

Dude... You fucked up... Now put a period and move on. Getting clean is an up and down ride. When you fuck up you just say "Ok, I fucked up, I'll do better next time." Your doing much better than many people I know. Praying for you brother... You'll be Ok. Hope your son is doing Ok... I've been praying for him and you. Have a great day.

What's up Ash? I haven't forgot about you homegirl. I think about you all there time. I pray your doing great!

8 days clean again, had to take comfort meds tonight, son seized 6 times tonight, really made me anxious mainly cuz my daughter was home and was flipping out,i yelled at her to let me be the adult (shes 14) and told her to go take a breather,but honestly i needed one but i maned up to help my son (i always do btw) but when it was over i was rattled

Hi honey. Me waving at you Drew.

I'm surviving, how are you doing, you sound so good. I hope you're doing well, you deserve great things in your life, you are a very special person, I hope you know it.

Love,
Ash. ; )

Dude... You fucked up... Now put a period and move on. Getting clean is an up and down ride. When you fuck up you just say "Ok, I fucked up, I'll do better next time." Your doing much better than many people I know. Praying for you brother... You'll be Ok. Hope your son is doing Ok... I've been praying for him and you. Have a great day.

What's up Ash? I haven't forgot about you homegirl. I think about you all there time. I pray your doing great!

You're doing great George,

Hang in there, try to be kind and patient with yourself and if you need a break just sit for a few minutes by yourself and breathe.

You're such a great dad and person George, you got this. I will keep praying for your son and your family.

Hugs,
Ash.

8 days clean again, had to take comfort meds tonight, son seized 6 times tonight, really made me anxious mainly cuz my daughter was home and was flipping out,i yelled at her to let me be the adult (shes 14) and told her to go take a breather,but honestly i needed one but i maned up to help my son (i always do btw) but when it was over i was rattled

Sorry for rarely posting anymore, my son is occuping the lions share of my time, we are back having several episodes every day, im still clean but honestly after this week id use if i could. Hope everyone is doing well, ps i have my 2nd NA meeting tonight :)

Hey, no apologies, you gotta focus on your life, of course! It may be too early to tell, but I hope the NA meetings help. I know when I quit opiates, I did some drug counseling which helped me gain some perspective. Just remember that the lure of opiates is false, they're a very short-term illusionary solution that make everything much, much worse once they grab you. You've been there so you know. I know it's a daily battle but just remember that your brain is trying to fool you because of addiction, so try not to listen. :)

Gunslinger, the best explanation I have heard(in simple terms) as to why relapse is a normal phenomenon of recovery is this: Addiction is a bottom up brain disease, while recovery is a top down "treatment". Our brains are wired for survival through the reward system. When we do things like eat or have sex, feel good neurotransmitters like dopamine are released. This is what motivates and incentivizes us to do things. This reward system(mesolimbic pathway) runs throughout the brain, upper, middle, and lower.

This system works great until a substance like opioids is introduced. Opioids, and similar substances(addictive drugs) work on this same "survival mechanism" known as the reward system(mesolimbic pathway). So to the lower, sub-conscious parts of the brain perceive these drugs as "good for survival" essentially. All the lower brain knows is stimulation, and the drug produces much high levels of stimulation than normal, which is why people can crave drugs more than food despite being in starvation, or why a person can recognize the damage and destruction yet not change behavior. It is also why even after periods of sobriety, after recognizing the destruction, after learning a better way to live, after all that- you still might have an urge.

This is where time comes into play- you have to un-train your brain, teach it that it doesn't need those drugs to survive and feel good. It's a step that really can't be rushed and requires a lot of patience. Probably one of the more frustrating aspects as well.. things would be so much easier if I didn't have an urge to use still.

As for NA... I personally find many to be a bit negative and self-deprecating. Constantly introducing yourself and referring to yourself as an addict is directly contradictive with basic psychological principles. A person wouldn't identify themselves as cancer even though it is a disease they may have to live with. People don't identify as depression or anxiety- they say they have depression or anxiety. It is the same for addiction. We aren't addicts, we are people with the disease of addiction. I think it's done in attempts to confront denial and true acceptance of the situation... idk.. I don't want to be too negative because I like meetings but most of what I like is the social aspect not really their philosophies.

really nice post.

Gunslinger - have you ever thought about the connection between microbiome in the gut, and addiction?
Like what mafioso is talking about, with neurotransmitters - unless the gut is working adequately, we dont produce enough hormones that make us feel balanced.

This is why so many of us have urges and addictions, and compulsive eating and consumption. poor neurotransmitters = poor mood and willpower.

Let me know if this is something you would be interested in chipping into.

BIg love dude, a few days relapse is a tiny thing, you got straight back on it after the triggered period has past - kudos to you bro!

Well im torn, with the NA meetings , i feel i dont belong, all the people were dealers of heavy stuff, been to prison or currently have warrants. I was addicted to pain pills i was prescribed. I know a addict is a addict but when i talk its like im small potatoes compared to these people. Dont get me wrong im so glad i got help when i did . I feel im rambling now and not sure what else to say, im not judging the people in NA but im trying to tell my brain to not think "o guy you arent a addict these people are cuz look how much worse they were " i understand that im not better than them but i sure as hell wasnt as far gone as them either.

It's probably good to be exposed to all of that to see how extreme things can get. Most everyone starts out pretty normal with a path not all that different from yours. But, something that they'll probably never tell you at 12 step meetings, is that their success comes from the group element, not the 12 steps. If the step work was responsible for recovery then people could do the steps without a group and be fine. Yet everyone will tell you that you can't do it alone. And someone people are able to recover in supportive communities regardless of ideologies, and with no use of step work what so ever.

That's not to say they don't help a lot of people, but if it's not for you then it's not for you. I wouldn't judge all of them by one or two different groups though. Usually each group has it's own type of crowd, so the more extreme tend to congregate together. But in general it is the more extreme that will be going to meetings as they're in more need of help and have more work to do.

So youre saying its good im there to show me the path i was heading on? Makes sense, im still going to meetings ,i just feel outta place

I'm just saying that's one of the potential benefits, but most of the benefit comes from the social interactions. If you feel out of place I'd say either try finding another meeting or community to be a part of that you don't feel out of place. You might be better suited among a group who is further along in recovery or were not as extreme in their use.

I went to an NA meeting and a few AA meetings during an alcohol course I had to take because of a DUI, and it's true, each group is quite different. There should be a lot of groups around unless maybe you live in a really small town. My town has like a dozen or more.

I live in a REALLY small town, there was 2 meeting places and found out at last meeting its the same group and they only hold one meeting a week

Just get out of it what you can George, and know you always have us here too supporting you.

Love,
Ash.

I live in a REALLY small town, there was 2 meeting places and found out at last meeting its the same group and they only hold one meeting a week

Just get out of it what you can George, and know you always have us here too supporting you.

Love,
Ash.

Yes, exactly what Ash said lol... I agree totally and wholeheartedly! Your doing very well Guns! Keep on rockin it brotha! Honestly, I think about your son and you often. I'm praying little man gets better soon. You have my support... U got this fam!

Last edited:
Thanks drewdog, i have a question, i stopped vics dec 9th was clean till feb 18th and 19th ( i fucked up) but ive been clean again ever since, but every morning my stomach is all kinds of flippy churney! Almost like wds again. Two days of weakness nearly a month ago shouldnt be still causing this can it? As for my son...(sigh) we are all living in fear cuz we dont know if his next episode will be the demonic rage one and if he does in the middle of the night it could be bad, we are actually looking for inpatient placement to get him high intensive therapy.

Hi ash so glad to hear from you!!! You and drew have been very supportive. I hope i can get thru this

You can and will absolutely get through it George, hang on. You've come so far, if you need a little more help and encouragement you know where to find me.

We love you here and you just call on us if you need anything. Praying for your son, you and your family.

Much love my dear friend,
Ash.

Thanks drewdog, i have a question, i stopped vics dec 9th was clean till feb 18th and 19th ( i fucked up) but ive been clean again ever since, but every morning my stomach is all kinds of flippy churney! Almost like wds again. Two days of weakness nearly a month ago shouldnt be still causing this can it? As for my son...(sigh) we are all living in fear cuz we dont know if his next episode will be the demonic rage one and if he does in the middle of the night it could be bad, we are actually looking for inpatient placement to get him high intensive therapy.

Hi ash so glad to hear from you!!! You and drew have been very supportive. I hope i can get thru this

Just dropping in, i went back to work first time since i stopped vics, its been really tough, but im doing it, thanks ash for your encouragement, im over a month clean again

Dropping in for update: day 46 CLEAN!!! Feel ......ok......except when i wake up, my stomach is a mess every morning but it only lasts for a hour and im fine, im on ZERO meds now ,none nothing zip zilch ?