• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Feeling shame, opiate addict

Oh man,

You can totally do this!! Honestly, I mean it's not fun, but it's temporary.

And you've got support at home, a doc supplying you comfort meds, and all of us here.

You're good.

Feel free to pm me if you need or want to,
your friend,
Ash.

Thank you ash your words mean alot, i sure hope i can do this

Good job staying off of them. :) The clonidine is a highly recommended medication for opiate withdrawals, because it lowers your blood pressure and reduces anxiety. Ativan is also good, but keep in mind it is addictive too and the withdrawal is much worse than opiate withdrawal so just remember that and don't take them daily for longer than you need to, and try to take days off too. But yeah, benzos (like ativan) are highly recommended to help get past acute withdrawals).

The good news is, if you can already sleep 6 hours, you're probably almost past acute withdrawal. With having been addicted for years, you can expect to get residual flashes of discomfort for a while but as time goes on you'll feel more and more normal. Once you get past acute withdrawal, the most important thing is to start filling your time with things that make you feel fulfilled, so that you don't just sit around missing the opiates. After acute withdrawal, most people experience some degree of PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome), which is basically just your body trying to readjust to not having opiates. The bad withdrawal is gone but you might still not feel quite right, it might be harder to feel happy. This is normal and no matter how it feels at the time, it WILL pass if you stay away from opiates. The best thing you can do to help it is to exercise a lot. Working out, especially cardio, does absolute wonders for recovery. Not only does being in shape make you feel good no matter what, but it produces endorphins which are your body's natural opiates, so it helps your receptors to get back into balance sooner. Besides exercise, eating well and taking care of yourself in other ways are important. And as I mentioned, filling your time with positive things.

You got this! :)

Shadowmiester,ash. I just woke up from a 3 hour nap, but first thing im thinking of is when can i take my meds, yes i knew the atjvan is addjctive too n im concerned about it, another concern and questio i hv that maybe one of you can answer, i am a 41 yr old pipefitter and my wrists are shot, i am to hv carple tunnel surgery soon, but im afraid to have it done because i WILL need pain meds after surgery but i KNOW i cant jusf be handed a bottle of pills , i know i can have my wife contol them but how long should i postpone this surgery so thaf takin one pill for surgicail pain wont reverse all ive accomplished. So far? Basically im asking will i ever be able to take a vic or perc again ?

Just seen this thread now. Relatively new member but long time reader. Anyway Sir, there is nothing to be ashamed about first of all. I have been addicted to all sorts including heroin and im on Methadone maintenance at the moment. You became addicted and you probably didnt even realise it was happening, like 98% of us. Just keep the head held high and forget about what other people think, work solely on yourself as you are number one during this important part of your life. Post here or message anyone of us if your struggling or just need a chat. Bluelight has a great bunch of people who will never judge or are in no position too. Hope all goes well for you man and dont forget you just made the biggest step and it was admitting you had/have a problem. Peace, Mr.Heffo94.

Your more than welcome dude. Dont ever hesitate to message me as ive been through what you have been through and have several on going addiction issues but have also tried recovery many times as well. So have experience in both aspects. Take it easy and remember always look after number 1 first and foremost ( YOU ).

It;s good you're sleeping.

Try not to worry about taking Ativan, take it when you need it, skip a day when you can. But no need to worry.

Yes, I'd say when you have surgery just have wife dole out the meds as needed. You will be fine.

When are you supposed to have that surgery?

here for you anytime,
your friend,
Ash.

Shadowmiester,ash. I just woke up from a 3 hour nap, but first thing im thinking of is when can i take my meds, yes i knew the atjvan is addjctive too n im concerned about it, another concern and questio i hv that maybe one of you can answer, i am a 41 yr old pipefitter and my wrists are shot, i am to hv carple tunnel surgery soon, but im afraid to have it done because i WILL need pain meds after surgery but i KNOW i cant jusf be handed a bottle of pills , i know i can have my wife contol them but how long should i postpone this surgery so thaf takin one pill for surgicail pain wont reverse all ive accomplished. So far? Basically im asking will i ever be able to take a vic or perc again ?

Im suppose to call and schedule it when i got laid off (im a union pipefitter ) was gonna have it done when i got off buuuutttt i ran out of meds n had to admit i have a problem, so now im gonna have to push the surgery further out im guessing because wouldnt one pill make me relapse

I don't know the answer to that one.

One of the mods like aihfl would know better. I'll see if I can get him for you.

Hugs,
Ash.

Im suppose to call and schedule it when i got laid off (im a union pipefitter ) was gonna have it done when i got off buuuutttt i ran out of meds n had to admit i have a problem, so now im gonna have to push the surgery further out im guessing because wouldnt one pill make me relapse

Thanks ash i really appreciate it, you are really going above and beyond to help , thank you, im now finding that my clonodine being every 6 hours and ativan ebery 8 they are wearing off around hour 5 but im being good n waiting unlike the vics if i felt it were off then hell with it id take more pending i would stay under my tylenol limit on a day 4g stupid i know i worried about tylenol

Oh no worries at all.

It's really my pleasure. I just want you to be happy. I hope you are proud of yourself, you're doing a great job and things will get easier.

You will find a new normal, a better one. ; )

You just have to tough this out for a bit, but you have a great attitude, so I know you will kick this in the ass.

Tylenol....when I went off my pain management voluntarily because of all the stress and stigma I encountered, I was in so much pain I only had tylenol. I started to damage my liver, my liver enzymes were very high, I was headed for a biopsy. But I went back on my pain management meds after I saw that I was damaging my liver. And thankfully it is back to normal.

Be VERY careful with it.

Hugs,
Ash.

Thanks ash i really appreciate it, you are really going above and beyond to help , thank you, im now finding that my clonodine being every 6 hours and ativan ebery 8 they are wearing off around hour 5 but im being good n waiting unlike the vics if i felt it were off then hell with it id take more pending i would stay under my tylenol limit on a day 4g stupid i know i worried about tylenol

Thanks for all the info (and hugs)? did you get ahold of that guy about pain meds when i have to have surgery? My hands are my paycheck i have to be able to pull pipewrenches and right now i cant now cuz the shock in my wrists make me drop them, so this sucks if i wasnt going thru this i coulda just had the surgery and continued to use then detox ,but im assuming someone was watvhing me and said you need to stop now ?

Yes, I messaged him,

I'm sure he will stop by here shortly to help. That sucks about your hands, especially in your line of work when it means they're your bread and butter.

Hopefully you get fixed up soon and things will just continue to improve for you.

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

Thanks for all the info (and hugs) did you get ahold of that guy about pain meds when i have to have surgery? My hands are my paycheck i have to be able to pull pipewrenches and right now i cant now cuz the shock in my wrists make me drop them, so this sucks if i wasnt going thru this i coulda just had the surgery and continued to use then detox ,but im assuming someone was watvhing me and said you need to stop now 

I feel your pain... I am a former opiate addict... In the past I didn't realized why people become addicted to certain meds like painkillers because I didn't feel high, just better. But I quickly got it that when you are depressed and suicidal, better is preferable to high. I personally was addicted to norco 10/325 for over 5 years .. I used to take around 8-9 pills a day. Now I know that the numeber one thing to do is to acknowledge you have a dependence ant this is a HUGE problem, then use professional medical help (this resouce can help http://www.stonegatecenter.com/), keep in touch with other opiod addicts and get to know what helps them (the members of this community will definitely help you https://talk.drugabuse.com/). Having beaten that damn dependence, I have my life back and now mentally I have back my focus. This is an amazing feeling of being free.

Sammy , yes that was were i was, i mean probably 2 years ago i kept taking them for the buzz but then i quit feeling buzzy but not taking them was like walking death i foynd the last two years i needed them just to feel normal, up untill sunday night i was taking 60-80mg of vic a day, now im on day 4 with none,

Gunslinger, your pain sounds neuropathic. Something like gabapentin or Lyrica may help. But if you're having surgery, I hate to say it, but you're going to need pain meds again short-term. You're just going to have to power through the desire to take more and more and not get hooked again.

I would postpone your surgery until you're well clear of the physical addiction, because taking pain meds will mess up your recovery. Just wait until it's been a couple of months ideally, and there's no more withdrawal discomfort and you feel normal without them. Then, if you have your wife carefully control them and take only just enough to control the pain and not get high, you should be fine.

I am always afraid of getting a serious injury or needing surgery because of this very thing. I'm afraid I will relapse if I have to take opioids. I have never taken one even once since I got off of them 5 years ago and my goal is to never take one again. I will absolutely succeed at that, unless I am forced to take them for pain, then it makes me nervous.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a physical pain in the tendons of the wrist, not neuropathic, as far as I know. However there are other drugs that help with pain, lyrica being one of them. It's possible that if you tell your doctor you are afraid of renewing your opiate addiction, they will be able to give you something else to help.

My wrists are beyond medicinal help ,23 years of pulling wrenches and pipe has them shot, but i did just get laid off n i planned on taking at least 5 months off mayb near the 5 month mark u think id b safe to handle a pain pill for the surgery with out relapse ? And its not even a question my wife WILL have the bottle not me

Yes 5 months off the meds for you will be good.

Then you have your surgery, get fixed up, have wife dole out your meds post surgery, you will be just fine.

Sounds like a good game plan to me!!!

Congrats on hanging in there my friend!!! Yay for day 4!!!! You're awesome!!!

Here if you need anything,
your friend,
Ash.
My wrists are beyond medicinal help ,23 years of pulling wrenches and pipe has them shot, but i did just get laid off n i planned on taking at least 5 months off mayb near the 5 month mark u think id b safe to handle a pain pill for the surgery with out relapse ? And its not even a question my wife WILL have the bottle not me

I know day 4!!!!! I feel ,,,,,,ok,, lil edgy not bad though thanks a million ill still b posting for sure