Microbiome and Overall Health

Swim15

Bluelighter
I've been working through some of the material that Geneticfreak posted in another thread around my finals (will put the links below) and it has seriously piqued my interested in a lot of things.

At this point I have about a million different thoughts/questions to which there probably aren't a lot of concrete answers to at this point but I am curious as to what anyone (geneticfreak specifically) would find to be the best way to get an incorporate bacterial and phytonutrient/polphenol diversity into our lives.

I was really curious actually about an organic soil supplement which I briefly looked for. Going to dig around on that some more as it seems one of the most direct/easiest ways to get some of this stuff into our bodies. I would love to grow more food, however I am limited by my living accommodations and locations currently.

Interested to hear thoughts and continue to learn more on some of these topics myself.

Links -
Bulletproof - explains the importance of the microbiome, and how it impacts our whole environment, from mitigating chronic diseases, to healthy nutrient production
https://blog.bulletproof.com/eat-dirt-the-secret-to-a-healthy-microbiome-zach-bush-458/

Electromagnetic field exposure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ATQF8omdI

Joe Rogan - health & longevity with Dr Rhonda Patrick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Mj0Q9y084

I've been working through some of the material that Geneticfreak posted in another thread around my finals (will put the links below) and it has seriously piqued my interested in a lot of things.

At this point I have about a million different thoughts/questions to which there probably aren't a lot of concrete answers to at this point but I am curious as to what anyone (geneticfreak specifically) would find to be the best way to get an incorporate bacterial and phytonutrient/polyphenol diversity into our lives.

I was really curious actually about an organic soil supplement which I briefly looked for. Going to dig around on that some more as it seems one of the most direct/easiest ways to get some of this stuff into our bodies. I would love to grow more food, however I am limited by my living accommodations and locations currently.

Interested to hear thoughts and continue to learn more on some of these topics myself.

Stop using antibacterial soaps and wipes, you are killing the healthy strains that have lived in harmony with ourselves for millions of years, and leaving a sterile environment where only the most hardy species can live, these resilient strains generally don't mix well with humans (and make us very sick)..

Feed your gut bacteria with as much fibre from vegetables as possible, the more colours the more diversity for different strains of bacteria to feed off.. (They all like a different type of fibre) food diversity is the key, no processed crap, all fresh..!!

You may struggle to find anything not contaminated with glyphosate in the US, from the soil microbiome, to the plants grown in that soil, the groundwater, the rain, the food chain, the air you breathe, even babies breastmilk.. Your country is fucked basically..!! The microbiome is non existent, due to decades of destruction from petroleum based fertilizers, glyphosate came along in the mid 70's and gave it a 2nd hit, as an antibacterial it destroyed the bacteria in that soil responsible for nutrient synthesis, those nutrients subsequently can't pass into your food then gut, if not present in the soil, but the glyphosate in your food kills the microbiome in your gut, as well as causing endothelial tight junction dysfunction (leaky gut syndrome) Like opening a leaking sewer into your bloodstream exposing organs and tissues to chronic inflammation the root cause of nearly all chronic diseases..

To add nutrients to my organic soil, I put all my food waste into a compost bin outside, between layers of soil sprinkled with bonemeal, taking my older compost for my veggie patches from underneath periodically, add egg shells, washed seaweed, rotten wood etc..

Organic soil is discussed here (somewhere) on the company website, the works manager actually gave me a better verbal interpretation (which I forgot) of their product and how it not only puts nutrients back into the soil, but it unlocks their potential by unbinding them from other molecules in the soil so they can absorb into the plants via roots as opposed to being present in high concentrations but unable to be released due to being locked in there..

http://ecofarmaotearoa.com/

New Zealand kicks arse..!! :)

Good info, thank you.

This may sound a little crazy? Not sure. I live close to a very large national park/deciduous rain forest that has been protected for the last 100 years and probably has the cleanest/purest environment in the US.

I was considering going there, digging a couple down, and then putting into gel capsules as a sort of probiotic/SBO. Do you have any idea how stupid that may or may not be and the risk of parasites if it isn?t surface layer soil?

Good info, thank you.

This may sound a little crazy? Not sure. I live close to a very large national park/deciduous rain forest that has been protected for the last 100 years and probably has the cleanest/purest environment in the US.

I was considering going there, digging a couple down, and then putting into gel capsules as a sort of probiotic/SBO. Do you have any idea how stupid that may or may not be and the risk of parasites if it isn?t surface layer soil?

Having just finished a semester of bacteriology/microbiology I would urge you NOT to eat soil from the ground. From the abundance of bacteria that can make you ill to worm larvae it is just an unnecessary risk.

Having just finished a semester of bacteriology/microbiology I would urge you NOT to eat soil from the ground. From the abundance of bacteria that can make you ill to worm larvae it is just an unnecessary risk.

Yeah I took that last semester which is why I was pretty hesitant haha. Wish there was some way to ensure it was parasite free since it seems like it would be an ideal/cheap as dirt (lol) way to get exposure to beneficial organisms

Good info, thank you.

Funnily enough there is a podcast titled eat dirt the secret to a healthy microbiome..!! You might be better off filing a trailer full of dirt and growing veggies in it at home, allowing the soil bacteria to pass on their nutrients into your food, rather than eating the soil directly... Remember bacteria is not your enemy, we have been living in harmony for millions of years with the healthy stuff, its only when you kill the good stuff the bad stuff takes its place, and we generally don't like the bad stuff...

https://blog.bulletproof.com/eat-dirt-the-secret-to-a-healthy-microbiome-zach-bush-458/

Some interesting shit on fibre: By Dr. Mercola

Most people, Americans in particular, need to eat more fiber. The evidence suggests a high-fiber diet can help manage your weight, which impacts over two-thirds of the population. Even more importantly, researchers have discovered that short-chain fatty acids produced by bacteria that feed on plant fiber are major epigenetic communicators. In other words, they actually communicate with your DNA, thereby providing protection against a number of different diseases.

Studies have also confirmed that high-fiber diets help reduce your risk of premature death from any cause — a side effect linked to a reduction in chronic disease risk. When it comes to boosting your fiber intake, be sure to focus on eating more vegetables, nuts and seeds, not grains, as grains tend to promote insulin and leptin resistance.

Also, research confirms that in order to work, the fiber must be unprocessed. Processed supplement fiber such as inulin powder does not provide gut bacteria with what they need. It’s far better to use a supplement that is processed from sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes) that inulin is typically extracted from.

Organic whole husk psyllium is a great fiber source, as are sunflower sprouts and fermented vegetables, the latter of which are essentially fiber preloaded with beneficial bacteria. Flax, hemp and chia seeds are other excellent fiber sources.

Different Types of Fiber

There are two main types of dietary fiber: soluble and insoluble. Ideally, you need both on a regular basis. Digestive-resistant starches can be considered a third type of fiber, differentiated from insoluble fiber by the fact that many of their benefits result from the fermentation process that occurs as they move through your large intestine.

• Soluble fiber, found in cucumbers, blueberries, beans and nuts, dissolves into a gel-like texture, helping to slow down your digestion. This helps you to feel full longer, which can help with weight control. Soluble fiber also hinders the breakdown and digestion of dietary cholesterol, which can help normalize your cholesterol level.

Likewise, it slows down the rate at which other nutrients are digested, including carbs, so they're not as likely to raise your blood sugar. Some foods rich in soluble fiber also help feed good bacteria in your gut.

• Insoluble fiber, found in foods like dark green leafy vegetables, green beans, celery and carrots, does not dissolve and stays basically intact as it moves through your colon. By adding bulk to your stool, it helps food to move through your digestive tract more quickly for healthy elimination.

Insoluble fiber is also sometimes called roughage, a term that, to a degree, describes its function. As it moves through your colon, it helps move along food particles that may tend to adhere to the sides. Food that remains stuck to your colon may cause bloating, pain and constipation, as well as other problems.

• Digestive-resistant starch. To this we may also add digestive-resistant starches, found in chilled, cooked potatoes, seeds, tapioca starch and unripe tropical fruits such as banana, papaya and mango. These naturally occurring resistant starches are basically low-viscous dietary fibers. Like insoluble fiber, digestive-resistant starch is not broken down as it travels through your digestive tract and therefore adds bulk to your stool. They’re also powerful prebiotics.

By slowly fermenting in your large intestine, they feed gut bacteria that support optimal health. Best of all, they don't spike your blood sugar the way the completely ripened fruit would do, so they're also much more likely to improve insulin regulation.

Why Add More Fiber to Your Diet?

Dietary fiber basically slows down your digestion and fills up space in your stomach and intestines, both of which will help manage your portion sizes and help you feel fuller longer. But that’s hardly the sole reason to eat more fiber. More importantly, all three types of fiber help nourish a healthy gut microbiome and serve to decrease your risk of several health-compromising conditions, including heart disease and diabetes, along with a number of gut-related health problems.

One study showed that for every 10 grams of fiber you add to your overall fiber intake, you lower your risk for all-cause mortality by 10 percent. Another study published in 2014 produced similar results. Here, every 10-gram increase of fiber intake was associated with a 15 percent lower risk of mortality, and those who ate the most fiber had a 25 percent reduced risk of dying from any cause within the next nine years compared to those whose fiber intake was lacking.

A report funded by the Council for Responsible Nutrition Foundation found that were U.S. adults over the age of 55 with heart disease to take psyllium dietary fiber daily, it could save nearly $4.4 billion a year. These cost savings are largely related to an 11.5 percent reduction in coronary heart disease-related medical events.

Researchers have also found that low-fiber diets can have generational effects by passing on an impoverished gut flora to your children. The study in question found that low-fiber diets cause “waves of extinction” in the gut of mice, and that this altered gut flora gets passed on to offspring. As much as 60 percent of the microbe species suffered severe decline in the low-fiber group.

In some cases, their numbers remained low even after the mice were again given high-fiber meals, suggesting it can be quite difficult to repopulate certain gut bacteria once they’ve been severely diminished. Each successive generation of offspring in the low-fiber group also ended up with less diversity than their parents, suggesting the problem is compounded over generations.

The Many Health Benefits of Fiber

There are many good reasons to add more fiber to your daily diet, including the following:

Improved blood sugar control

Soluble fiber may help to slow your body's absorption of sugar, helping with blood sugar control. Research also shows that women with the highest soluble fiber intake had 42 percent less insulin resistance.

In another study, people who had the highest intake of fiber (more than 26 grams a day) also had an 18 percent lower risk of developing Type 2 diabetes than those with the lowest intake (less than 19 grams a day). The fiber may benefit diabetes by altering hormonal signals, slowing down nutrient absorption and/or altering fermentation in the large intestine, along with promoting feelings of satiety.

Better heart and cardiovascular health

An inverse association has been found between fiber intake and heart attack, and research shows that those eating a high-fiber diet have a 40 percent lower risk of heart disease. High-fiber diets are also associated with beneficial reductions in blood pressure and cholesterol, as well as improved insulin sensitivity and reduced inflammation, all of which help lower your risk for heart disease.

Interestingly, recent research has discovered that a smell receptor (Olfr78) in your kidneys (which is also found in your nose) actually receives messages from gut bacteria that help regulate your blood pressure. As reported by Scientific American, “The researchers have uncovered a direct, molecular-level explanation of how the microbiome conspires with the kidneys and the blood vessels to manipulate the flow of blood.”

The smell in question is that of acetate and propionate, which are produced when fiber is fermented. As noted in the article, “more than 99 percent of the acetate and propionate that floats through the bloodstream is released by bacteria as they feed … Bacteria are therefore the only meaningful source of what activates Olfr78 — which, further experiments showed, is involved in the regulation of blood pressure.”

Stroke prevention

Researchers have found that for every 7 grams more fiber you consume on a daily basis, your stroke risk is decreased by 7 percent.26 This equates to increasing your consumption of fruits and vegetables by about two additional portions per day.

Improved immune function

Fiber fuels beneficial bacteria to produce short-chain fatty acids that help regulate your immune function. These fats and ketones help increase T regulatory cells that help prevent autoimmune responses. These specialized immune cells are also critical for regulating intestinal inflammation.

Other research has linked T cells called Tregs to the prevention and reversal of metabolic syndrome, in part by stimulating oxidative metabolism in your liver and adipose tissue.

Improved mitochondrial health

The short-chain fatty acids produced through fiber fermentation also serve as substrates for your liver to produce ketones that efficiently fuel your mitochondria and act as powerful metabolic signals.

Weight management

Fiber supplements have been shown to enhance weight loss among obese people, likely because fiber increases feelings of fullness. However, there's more to it than that. When microbes in your gut digest fiber, a short-chain fatty acid called acetate is released. The acetate then travels from your gut to the hypothalamus in your brain, where it helps signal you to stop eating.

Skin health

Fiber, particularly psyllium husk, may help move yeast and fungus out of your body, preventing them from being excreted through your skin where they could trigger acne or rashes.

Prevention of gut problems such as diverticulitis and leaky gut

Dietary fiber (especially insoluble) may reduce your risk of diverticulitis — inflammation of your intestine — by 40 percent. Sufficient amounts of fiber will also help prevent the breakdown of your gut barrier, thereby lowering your risk for leaky gut and related health problems.

Leaky gut refers to a condition in which physical gaps between the cells that line your intestinal barrier develop, thereby allowing undigested food particles into your blood stream. A gut protein called zonulin regulates the opening and closing of these holes in the cell wall of your intestine.

When a gap develops, larger molecules such as food particles can get through, thereby causing allergic reactions and other problems such as Type 1 diabetes, Celiac disease, Crohn’s disease and irritable bowel syndrome.

Hemorrhoid prevention

A high-fiber diet may lower your risk of hemorrhoids caused by chronic constipation.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) relief

Fiber may also provide some relief from symptoms of IBS.

Reduced risk for gallstones and kidney stones

A high-fiber diet may reduce the risk of gallstones and kidney stones, likely because of its ability to help regulate blood sugar.

Most Beneficial Sources of Dietary Fiber
While grains are still heavily promoted as good sources of fiber, they’re actually one of the least optimal sources out there. Today, nonorganic wheat and many other grains are routinely doused with glyphosate just before harvest — a process known as desiccation — which increases yield and kills rye grass. As a result of this practice, most grains, especially nonorganic wheat, is heavily contaminated with glyphosate, which has been linked to celiac disease and other gut dysfunction.

Needless to say, this is the exact opposite of what you’re trying to achieve by eating more fiber. Cereal grains may have been a good source of fiber in the past, but not anymore. A high-grain diet also promotes insulin and leptin resistance, thereby raising your risk for chronic diseases such as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Besides, most whole grain products on the market are highly processed, which further deteriorates their value. Instead, focus on eating more of the following:

Organic whole, unsweetened husk psyllium. Taking psyllium three times daily could add as much as 18 grams of fiber to your diet

Chia seeds. A single tablespoon will provide about 5 grams of fiber

Sprouts such as sunflower sprouts

Berries

Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts

Root vegetables and tubers, including onions, sweet potatoes and jicama

Mushrooms such as button, chanterelle, maitake, shiitake and oyster mushroom35

Peas and beans. Keep in mind beans are best avoided if you are sensitive to lectins

How Much Fiber Do You Need?
As for how much you need, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests daily targets for women and men at 25 and 38 grams of fiber respectively, while the U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends getting 14 grams of fiber per 1,000 calories consumed. I believe both of these may be insufficient for optimal health.

My recommendation for daily fiber intake is 25 to 50 grams per 1,000 calories consumed. When adding more fiber to your diet, do it gradually, and be sure to drink plenty of water along with it. Without sufficient amounts of water, the fiber will not pass smoothly through your system, and may result in constipation instead.

Sources and References:
1 Annals of Internal Medicine 2015;162(4):248-257
2 Medical News Today November 25, 2016
3 Cell November 17, 2016; 167(5): 1339-1353.e21
4 Epoch Times November 28, 2016
5 Am. J. Epidemiol December 31, 2014; 181(2): 83-91
6 Scientific American November 23, 2016
7 Newsweek November 24, 2016
8 Prebiotin, Dietary Fiber
9 Digestive Health Institute May 10, 2013
10 Advances in Nutrition November 2013: 4; 587-601
11 Complementary Therapies in Medicine 2015 Dec;23(6):810-5
12 American Journal of Epidemiology January 5, 2015; 181(2): 83-91
13 BMJ 2014;348:g2659
14 CRN Foundation Report
15 Nature January 14, 2016: 529; 212-215
16 The Atlantic January 13, 2016
17 British Journal of Nutrition July 28, 2013;110(2):375-83
18 Diabetologia May 26, 2015 (PDF)
19 MedicineNet.com May 27, 2015
20 JAMA 1996 Feb 14;275(6):447-51
21 American Heart Association, Eating Probiotics Regularly May Improve Your Blood Pressure
22 Archives of Internal Medicine 2005 Jan 24;165(2):150-6
23 CBS News March 4, 2005
24 Gut Microbes 2014; 5(2): 202-207
25 Scientific American December 14, 2017
26 Stroke March 28, 2013;STROKEAHA.111.000151
27 Science 2 August 2013: 341(6145); 569-573
28 Diabetes February 18, 2015 [Epub ahead of print]
29 Endocrinology Advisor March 12, 2015
30 Nutr Rev. 2009 Apr;67(4):188-205
31 Journal of Nutrition 1998 Apr;128(4):714-9
32 Time January 13, 2016
33 Healthline.com September 25, 2014
34 SF Gate, Benefits of Chia Seeds
35 Food Science and Human Wellness September-December 2013: 2(3-4); 162-166
36 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics September 5, 2017

Awesome article^ also gonna put the link below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...ive/2018/01/11/amp/fiber-food-foundation.aspx

This is another good write up on different resistant starches. Going to order some green banana and potato start to use in combo with other fiber sources.

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/best-resistant-starch-for-gut-health/

Maybe try sweet potato as opposed to the normal variety which are of the nightshade family which contain plant lectins, not something you should be consuming on a frequent basis..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRB7OzGupTY