• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

China to label Fentanyl as a controlled substance [UPDATE: false info]

Painful One

Bluelighter
https://www.keloland.com/news/world/china-to-label-fentanyl-as-controlled-substance/1633262045

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) - China has agreed to label fentanyl a controlled substance after a meeting between President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping. The deadly synthetic opioid is responsible for tens of thousands of U.S. drug deaths annually.

The White House says Xi agreed to the move, long sought by the U.S., during a dinner Saturday between the two leaders on the margins of the Group of 20 summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

U.S. officials for years have been pressing the Chinese government to take a tougher stance against fentanyl, which is 50 times more powerful than heroin. Most U.S. supply of the drug is manufactured in China.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders says the decision means that "people selling fentanyl to the United States will be subject to China's maximum penalty under the law."

I'm fairly certain (although I am having trouble finding a solid reference) that fentanyl has been a controlled substance in China for quite a while, and they scheduled a bunch of fentanyl analogues a few years ago. Perhaps they are broadening the law to cover more analogues? Media outlets frequently miss this kind of distinction.

Yep, I was right.

-----

AP FACT CHECK: Trump claims wrong drug concession from China
Erika Kinetz
AP News
December 3rd, 2018

SHANGHAI (AP) -- President Donald Trump is claiming victory in getting China to designate fentanyl a controlled substance, but China took that step against the deadly opioid years ago.

What's actually on the table is a far more sweeping shift in the way China regulates synthetic opioids. The question is how China will follow through on its words.

Its stated intention is to expand controls on drugs that mimic fentanyl.

TRUMP, about his meeting at the G-20 summit in Argentina with Chinese President Xi Jinping: "What he will be doing to fentanyl could be a game changer for the United States -- and what fentanyl is doing to our country in terms of killing people. Because he's agreed to put it at the highest level of crime in his country." -- aboard Air Force One on Saturday.

WHITE HOUSE: "Very importantly, President Xi, in a wonderful humanitarian gesture, has agreed to designate Fentanyl as a Controlled Substance, meaning that people selling Fentanyl to the United States will be subject to China's maximum penalty under the law." -- statement Saturday.

Read the full story here.

-----

Not only did a ton of outlets, from CNN to the New York Times, get this wrong, the White House itself put out a statement with this fallacious claim. The American outlets haven't fixed the stories yet, either. I found this out from Canada's public broadcaster, the CBC, of all places.

I bet the Chinese are having a laugh.

good thing mexicans are making tons of fentanyl. They will just up their production and make more $$$. lucky them

Know how easy it is to get that unmarked package from a carrier? lol

good thing mexicans are making tons of fentanyl. They will just up their production and make more $$$. lucky them
And the anti-wall, maybe. Might as well legalize it.... (sarcasm)

And to other poster: It is in fact designer....

China Allegedly Reschedules Fentanyl thanks to Trump

He just said it on the "Emergency" wambulance message.

He's like, oh no, like a thousand white people died from fentanyl overdoses? Better call the wambulance!

NSFW:
wahmbulance.jpg

So now the wall isn't about race it's about drugs? JFC. The rotting pumpkin someone left on the porch since October needs to get dragged into the trash can already.