The official 2003 UK+Europe Bl meetup, bham, fri 24th oct

Medi57

Bluelight Crew
Ok people this is the big one.
Firstly I'd like to get the dates sorted, 24th is a friday so it will be meeting in a pub then fridge after people finish work etc...
26th is a sunday so if anyone can't get the 27th off work/school we'll scrap that. Also I'm not sure what London licensing laws are for sundays.
1st of November, Saturday and the main contender.

I'm getting in contact with the management of fridge to sort out prices, etc. so any ideas, questions, or suggestions, please post them here.

when the date is sorted we will begin the roll call. And no excuses this time, you have plenty of notice. Also the more people come the cheaper it will be.

We will probably have a guest list system similar to mashed.

Aslo we require DJs and possibly security/bar staff(whether or not these are provided is uncertain at the moment). But DJs are a must.

Any prospective DJs please PM me so we can sort out what music we will be having. (at the mo I'm thinking toss up between HH and d&b)

So Bluelight needs you! *points*

Last edited:
So lets get this straight, your thinking of booking the Fridge venue for the evening?

I'm sure they will definitely provide bar staff (free drinks anyone ;)) and probably security too.

(at the mo I'm thinking toss up between HH and d&b)

Ick.. A little variety throughout the night would be nice.

Edit: Before getting people too excited about the djing prospect perhaps it would be a good idea to find out how many hours you have to work with.

Oh, Friday and Sunday nights are an awful choice. Its a battle for anyone working/travelling etc. to make those two days.

Last edited:
as expected. raindance is on the 25th and that means loosing Grob, Johny Boy, *lucyinthesky* etc.
I recon the 1st of november then?

on the music side of thing I was just going along with what m,ost Blers seem to like..

fancy some chicago house? I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy called gerald... j/k
but I do know some funky house DJs unfortunately from birmingham.

on the DJ front if any blers no matter what the music could put themselves forward that would be great!

as for the hours we have.... it appears to be 21:00 - 06:00 on a saturday (21:00 - 4:00 for the bar). But that is the times on the website as there is still no word for the manager.
I'll phone him on monday.

mashead testing said:
fridge is massive for about 30-50 people lol!

bring your friends =D

if it comes down to it I can get flyers and run it as a night, but that's a lot of hassle.

also this is just the first place that was suggested.
if you guys want somewhere smaller just suggest it!

Well if raindance is on then move it away away from that weekend.

Jase said:
Well if raindance is on then move it away away from that weekend.

poop,

Agreed we need to figure out what we're doing first, Maybe both!? :)

But how about going to Raindance and then setting this up for a little while afterwards?

Definately still find out how much it's going to cost.

Chr1s

I like the look of this place, cloub be expensive though...
BUG-BAR.jpg

BUG in brixton.

The Crypt, St Matthew's Church,
Brixton, London SW2 1JF

tel - 02077383366

200 cap.

Sound: 4k Electro-Voice Sound System, 1x16 Channel Mixing Console (Allan & Heath), 1xWay Monitor Mix (For stage and/or DJ), 1 x pair of Technics Decks + Pioneer DJM-500 DJ mixer, 1xDenon Tape Deck, 1xCD Multi Player (not suitable for backing tracks) + selection of mics, stands and cables

Lighting: 2xOpti K1 Effect Projectors with effect., 6xPAR 56 Cans with 0-10V Dimmer Pack& basic control, 1x12" Miror Ball + Rotator, 2xPin Spots with flash and Dimmers. (If you know what its all for inonzi)

Bar: stocks all major brands, cocktail menu and wines by the glass.

security can be provided if needed.

ok, the fridge is one of the best venues in the country imo, with a capacity of 2,000. sorry to put a downer on it, but there is no WAY that would be a viable idea at all. think it costs about 3 grand to hire as well.

If you want to do your own night - think small. what capacity do you really need? a couple of hundred? If you deffo want in london i can give you suggestions/prices of a few places i know. Club 414 in brixton is deffo worth a thought.

Grob.

Grobert said:
ok, the fridge is one of the best venues in the country imo, with a capacity of 2,000. sorry to put a downer on it, but there is no WAY that would be a viable idea at all. think it costs about 3 grand to hire as well.

If you want to do your own night - think small. what capacity do you really need? a couple of hundred? If you deffo want in london i can give you suggestions/prices of a few places i know. Club 414 in brixton is deffo worth a thought.

Grob.

good to know. I have never been to fridge so I had no idea of the capacity.

I blame that hijinx

BUG I like but it looks pricey, 414 I'm just going to look at.
any more suggestions are welcome grob and any other londoners. :D

ok I'm thinking saturday at 414 is out the window.
£1200 and £600 deposit.
I don't think bug will be any cheaper either.

how much was sid's? ;)

I'll call them on monday.
on a saturday night in london though...:\

??? How am I responsible for you not knowing how big the Fridge is, Medi? *shakes head in exasperation*. I know I said it's where we had the first big meet up but I didn't say we were the only people in the club:p

Has anyone considered asking Suess and Titania when they're planning their next Mashed? That was just the right size for us + a few friends (I think the capacity was about 150?), the staff were all lovely and we had a terrific night.

^^ I blame you for no reason other than my water bottle is empty.

and yes that could be an idea!

Cheapest places I know of are Electrowerkz - just the one floor is £500, but they're getting pretty booked up these days!
Theres also George IV in Brixton, which is more of a pub/club type place... holds about 250/300 and last I heard, was charging around £350.

Best bet is to point them in the directions of www.sorted.org/london - the venue guide on there is pretty good.

how about this crazy idea - what about having the official bluelight meet-up somewhere more central in the country, so it's easier for everyone to get to?

we don't all live in London y'know :(

it's cheaper up here, there are some amazing venues to be had and people can get here from all over the country - i had a look in the 'where are you' thread, most of us aren't londoners!

nursey said:
how about this crazy idea - what about having the official bluelight meet-up somewhere more central in the country, so it's easier for everyone to get to?

we don't all live in London y'know :(

it's cheaper up here, there are some amazing venues to be had and people can get here from all over the country - i had a look in the 'where are you' thread, most of us aren't londoners!

I have to agree, If we're expected to go to london for raindance the weekend before there's no way in hell we'll be back the next week. Also given that the number of bl'ers who actually LIVE in london, its not really convenient for anyone except grob.

I dunno about other areas of the country but there are 6 blers who live in birmingham (7 if you count proto who should be back from france by then), its also on 2 - 3 hours on the train from london, manchester and sheffield which makes it alot easier for the people up north, alot of whom boycvott london meetups because they cant be assed traveling all that way.

Plus if we have it in brum, we can all come back here afterwards and relax rather than go to some shitty recovery club or waiting at the trainstation :p

^^^

I amy be biased but the two above points are very good!
Birmingham?
I know places I can look into booking (with a smaller capacity) and they are much cheaper.

(some places even give you the room for free if they get a certain spend at the bar)

not that the bar tab is going to be that high ;)