• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Bupe practically cut off

Moomooboo

Greenlighter
I've been off heroin for 8 years. I've been on the Sub/Methadone program for as many years.

I have had steady employment and I have rescued and care for 5 cats. I live in a rural area so access to a pharmacy that dispenses bupe is limited. It's also tricky to get there Mon to Fri because of my job (Sat and Sun aren't an issue). Because I am reliable and a functioning member of society, and to ensure I stay on track, I've been allowed 6 takeaway doses. My last two doctors have had no issues with takeaways. They know if I can't get to the chemist then it's going to make life hard. They can see what a lifesaver it's been for me.

My previous doctor relocated. Today I saw a new one. He flat out refused to prescribe even one takeaway. He told me that if I really needed it, I'd work it out. I can't leave work early. I just got a new job and I can't risk losing it by leaving early every day.

Does anyone know where I stand? Does anyone know which doctors can prescribe bupe. Maybe I can find a new one. It's hard at the moment because I do live in a rural area so prescribing doctors are few and far between.

I'm so scared because I'm not ready to withdraw.

I've never heard of having to get daily doses of bupe at the pharmacy in the US. That's crazy. I get a script of 90 8mg a month no questions asked and that's the norm in Alabama.

All you can really do is call around and try to find a private doctor that prescribes bupe. You may have to travel to a big city once or twice a month but that seems way better then going everyday

I've never heard of having to get daily doses of bupe at the pharmacy in the US. That's crazy. I get a script of 90 8mg a month no questions asked and that's the norm in Alabama.

i had to go to get my bupe at the methadone window every day for a while cuz i kept dropping dirty. off it now, but even if i do go back on it it'll be the usual monthly script

My previous doctor relocated. Today I saw a new one. He flat out refused to prescribe even one takeaway. He told me that if I really needed it, I'd work it out. I can't leave work early. I just got a new job and I can't risk losing it by leaving early every day.

Does anyone know where I stand? Does anyone know which doctors can prescribe bupe. Maybe I can find a new one. It's hard at the moment because I do live in a rural area so prescribing doctors are few and far between.

i take it the window to pick up is only open during the time you have to be at work, no time before or after? you should be able to get take homes after a couple weeks at most, but its still an unusual hassle

there's a list of bupe providers in the US in our SL directory thread, if there's no other ones in your area though you're kinda screwed :\

Its obvious by the way he said "takeaways" and "the chemist" that he's either in the UK or Australia... I do not know anything about the UK or Australias rules or about bupe sorry I'm on methadone in the US. I'm so sorry they are doing this to you... Its not right. Good luck!

Hey Moo-

Just here for moral support. I'm sorry you're going through this.

There has to be some kind of middle ground! Especially because you're excelling while on opiate replacement therapy.

As Drew above said, you're from either the UK or Australia. I don't know how these things work there.

Where are you Toothpastedog?! I miss seeing you around!

Moo, Im sending you good vibes. I hope you are able to be work this out. <3

10yearsgone said it perfectly. We don't know the laws where you live but we both know what they're doing to you is just flat out wrong. I am so sorry. You are the perfect example of a bupe success story. Don't stop until you get your take homes back. You deserve them. Enjoy your day!

I'm so sorry they are doing this to you... Its not right.

This exact sentiment has killed a whole bunch of addicts. A million things happen in a day, rarely do any of them happen to me. Over-personalization of every event in my life made me bitter, resentful, and suicidal. It was as if the world was making special rules just to F*&$ me. Becoming mindful of how I talk myself into some seriously twisted thinking is an important part of recovery. It is unfortunate that he has a new doctor. It is unfortunate that the rules are different. It is unlikely that the doctor opened his practice solely for this moment in time when he could make this one individual incredibly miserable. Hopefully our OP will explore other options rather than basking in the self-pity that is inherent in the catastrophisazation of over-personalization.

Last edited:
This exact sentiment has killed a whole bunch of addicts. A million things happen in a day, rarely do any of them happen to me. Over-personalization of every event in my life made me bitter, resentful, and suicidal. It was as if the world was making special rules just to F*&$ me. Becoming mindful of how I talk myself into some seriously twisted thinking is an important part of recovery. It is unfortunate that he has a new doctor. It is unfortunate that the rules are different. It is unlikely that the doctor opened his practice solely for this moment in time when he could make this one individual incredibly miserable. Hopefully our OP will explore other options rather than basking in the self-pity that is inherent in the catastrophisazation of over-personalization.

That Dr sounds like a prick who seems to know nothing about addiction. When someone is happy and stable on bupe let them stay happy and stable on bupe. Sorry... but when that DR. fucks around with his patients bupe by making it where they have to choose their job over treatment then the chances of relapse go up because he has to work and cannot make it to get his dose. That is just wrong. He should not be kicked out because he had to work. That's one of the main reasons methadone/sub clinics offer take homes. We are trying to prevent ODs, death, and relapses. Self pity? Huh?... No disrespect but it sounds to me like the OP just wants to know why they would fuck with someone who is doing good, following the rules, and contributing to society.

Please keep fighting to get your take homes back. Your addiction deserves to be treated with the highest and the best medical care possible. Also, you should be treated with respect. Good luck!

Last edited:

This guy's job is to help addicts with addiction. I don't think op is out of line for being pissed.

The doc may have made a bad decision. It may not be directly about mistreating the OP but docs mess up. I would say get a new prescriber.

In the world of addiction medicine addicts are routinely marginalized and discriminated against. You literally have to advocate for yourself on a daily basis.

If this dude wanted feedback on his character defects I think he would have voiced that request.

Last edited:
I have a solution. Does the doctor watch you take it? If not, take 3/4 each time and save the quarters up. If you are on 8 mg of bupe, you can easily get by on 6 or 4. Best advice is to find a doc that gives out a 90 day supply. I am in California and used to get a month at a time and had to see doc every three months.