• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Speculation or insight on novel amphetamine substitutions?

(zonk)

Bluelighter
I was wondering if any research has been done or if anyone could speculate as to the activities of meth/amphetamine analogs where either an allyl bridge is used with or without an alpha substitution or if the bridge can be reversed to have the extra carbon closer to the alpha position in place of the standard propyl or i Also can't locate [anything] on 1-halophenethylamines which i thought was surprising. I was thinking alpha-chloro or fluoro

I've never heard about a single compound with a halogen and NH2 on same carbon, if that's what you mean by alpha-chlorophenethylamine.

Alpha-chloroamines are too reactive to exist; presumably they'd eliminate or polymerize too easily. You might be able to produce alpha-fluoro-amphetamine but I'd imagine it'd be difficult installing the tertiary fluoride without elimination to an alkene.

"Alpha-carbonyl" means you'd form phenylacetamide, which is inactive.

an allyl bridge is used with or without an alpha substitution

Allyl bridge?

And also wondering what replacing the amine with an imine or N-carbonyl would do?

Alkyl bridge between the phenyl and amine being an allyl(propenyl)
2-phenylallylamine and the n-methyl and a-methyl counterparts exist

Why does it form acetamide may i ask? Does the exposed carbon react with oxygen or something?

Maybe i have my _yls wrong, i thought carbonyl was just simply carbon as in alpha-carbon where the carbon is only attached by 1 hydrogen

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe i have my _yls wrong, i thought carbonyl was just simply carbon as in alpha-carbon where the carbon is only attached by 1 hydrogen

Carbonyl = carbon that's connected to oxygen via a double bond, and to two other substituents via single bonds.

Examples include ketones (the 2 bonds are to other carbons), aldehydes (one of the bonds is to hydrogen), carboxylic acids (one of the bonds is to -OH) and amides (one of the bonds is to NH2).

Thus, if you made the alpha-carbon in amphetamine into a carbonyl, you would, by definition, have an amide, namely phenylacetamide.

The -F analogues have been around for at least a decade. Solubility appears to be adversely affected since they snort like powdered glass (and yes, we tried a number of different addition salts). Metabolism is questionable and at least some appear to possess MAOI activity which is what I think finally stopped them. The market, as one, said 'fuck that' and the matter was dropped.

For mephedrone, the toluene is alkylated with 3-fluoropropanoyl chloride instead of propanoyl chloride and the rest of the synthesis continues with the same molar amounts.

Why look for complicated answers when the simple ones work. Having tried the above, all I can say is that the HCl isn't too soluble - it's like snorting powdered glass. The sulphate & phosphate work but of course, the workup is a bit more work which is apparently enough to put the Chinese off making it.

And also wondering what replacing the amine with an imine or N-carbonyl would do?

You would kill the activity.

Alkyl bridge between the phenyl and amine being an allyl(propenyl) 2-phenylallylamine and the n-methyl and a-methyl counterparts exist

I'm still not sure what you mean here. Is it possible to link to a picture of an example?

For mephedrone, the toluene is alkylated with 3-fluoropropanoyl chloride instead of propanoyl chloride and the rest of the synthesis continues with the same molar amounts.

That would give the alpha-fluoromethyl compound, not the alpha-fluoro.

1-phenyl-2-aminoprop-2-ene.png

1-phenyl-2-iminopropane.png

If you are wondering about 1-phenyl-2-amino-prop-2-ene ("alpha-methylene-phenethylamine"), that's actually an imine/enamine (the two species above can interconvert) which will decompose to phenylacetone and ammonia in aqueous environments. Same with the methyl and ethyl imines. The whole family of compounds is just a quick borohydride reduction away from amphetamines tho.

Last edited:
The first one would be more correctly called beta-methylene-phenethylamine and that second one is beta-methylene-amphetamine. Presumably beta methylene amphetamine would be active as a stimulant; beta-methyl-amphetamine is AFAICT, as is beta-methyl-phenethylamine.

Last edited:
(Zonk) those are likely be active just like a cathinone, but will be very unstable in (weak) acid and light/air
In first case it can isomerize to the enamine position (exomethylene isnt quite favorable form) then the enamine will hydrolyze to ammonia and a p2p.
And in both case they will autopolymerize with air/light just like styrene monomer, albeit should be faster.

They both, still, should be still stable enough for synthesis and isolation, but i am unsure about safety due to the reactivity reasons.

And what about replacement of amine with an imine(n-carbon amine)

Replacing amine with imine nets you 1-phenyl-2-imino-propane, which is unstable in aqueous environments and will decompose to ammonia and phenylacetone.
1-phenyl-2-iminopropane.png

If you mean adding an imine on the other side, that will simply degrade back to amphetamine and e.g. formaldehyde, for N-methylene-amphetamine ("methamphetimine"?).

1-phenyl-2-methyleneaminopropane.png

That would give the alpha-fluoromethyl compound, not the alpha-fluoro.

Well obviously - but try reading it IN CONTEXT. If people simply want to bypass legal control (and I see no other reason would seek to make it) then it is, as I said, simple, answer is known and tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Amphetimines" (amphetschiffbases?)) already occur as intermediates during the reductive amination of phenylacetone in the production of (meth-)amphetamine, but as sekio said, these are pretty unstable in an aqueous solution.

Well obviously - but try reading it IN CONTEXT. If people simply want to bypass legal control (and I see no other reason would seek to make it) then it is, as I said, simple, answer is known and tested.

The original poster was asking about alpha-halo amphetamines and there was nothing to indicate that you weren't discussing the alpha-fluoro amphetamine until you posted the precursor. I know that you know what compound you were talking about but for those who might not have the synthesis background I was clarifying. Cheers.

I remember seeing some formulae of non-amine dopamine reuptake inhibitors, one of them was like a methylphenidate molecule but with an ether oxygen in the place of the ordinary amine nitrogen. This is probably a more interesting line of development.