• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Basketball The 2018/2019 NCAA Basketball Discussion Thread *Now with 2019/2020 Speculation*

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
Season is ready to tip off.

My Gators are facing F$U tomorrow night...lost I dunno how many in a row to them :\ We're starting unranked, they are #17, but it's at their place. Do we have a chance? HELL YEAH!! Can we win? HELL YEAH!! Will we win? Um....don't forget to vote tomorrow!

Thanks for making the thread tlb...

champions classic tonight
first up is kansas vs Michigan State
then it's what everyone wants to see
Kentucky vs Duke

uk basketball is part of who I am. I was conceived on a rug made of real wildcat fur overlooked by a poster of Adolph Rupp. It was a dark and stormy night that night iirc...

anyways...fuck duke.

oy4qa7k.jpg

Last edited:
Here comes my post game therapy session where I talk to myself until the tears dry up and I try but ultimately fail to make myself feel better.

So......like I said, fuck Duke.

I've learned my lesson over the past ten years with Coach Cal.

1. Never expect much early on. Period.
2. Expect to lose to tougher, more physical teams.
3. Turn off ESPN and delete all social media accounts.

There are a LOT of dumb UK fans out there. This is mainly because I'd say, 75% of them at least, aren't actual SPORTS fans. In general they think sports are dumb except for UK basketball. None of them understand the process of coaching or even attempt to grasp what it means to transform a team of babies in November to a Final Four team in March. And that's what Cal has done basically every single year. Nevertheless, these hicks/sports lightweights get on Facebook and call for the firing of our Hall of Fame coach. I can only imagine what they are saying now.

I'm not really surprised by this loss or the margin of defeat. To be honest, I don't think Cal was either. He does big games like this despite being the exact opposite of a "big game" coach. Yeah, of course he would have taken the win, but really he's looking at this as a learning experience akin to pushing a child into the deep end of the swimming pool. You think he's not seen the tapes of Zion? He knows the intensity of that atmosphere too. His thinking is, throw them in and hope for the best, but if we lose at least we will have the experience of disappointment and defeat.

Coach K, on the other hand, feeds on environments like the one last night. You can't help but admire and get caught up in the impressiveness of it. He's cutthroat. That's all well and good right now, but can he get his kids to show up like that when they have to go play at Eastern Michigan or San Diego State? What about during games when the refs are actually calling fouls? If you know anything about college basketball, you know the refs let that shit go in big time ratings games like last night. What about on nights they don't? What happens if you run into a team full of grown men (upperclassmen) who will take the charge instead of moving out of the way? That's not as likely in the ACC, but it will happen at some point.

Bottom line, Kentucky was a deer in the headlights. Their shots weren't falling. They got outplayed. Cal got out coached (for now). Yeah I wanted them to beat Duke. I hate Duke. But what I care most about is the growth of the team over the next 5 months and how we perform when it matters. If anyone is still reading this...remember Arizona last year? Remember when Deandre Ayton was the be all and end all of college basketball players? Arizona was going to take the world by storm, a final four shoo-in? I remember seeing a lot of big A's in the centers of brackets. How did that turn out?

I didn't get to watch the UF-F$U game, but I did check in a few times to know we got behind early and lost big late. Totally outpowered, outplayed, out..everything. I have the game on DVR, and may watch just to learn the new names, and realize the old names still suck. Then again, maybe I delete it and look towards another awesome powerhouse showdown against Charleston Southern tomorrow night. Maybe we can win that one. Maybe. :|

Coach White's 4th year, I think. So it's all HIS guys. Need to see that he can get it done. Maybe F$U is heavy with upperclassmen (physically, they were much more mature and dominate, as well as how they played as a team). But we look like a bunch of So-Jr players, with weak Sr and way too young Fr to compete. I'm hoping we're better than we showed last night, but I'm starting to doubt the coach.

I'll try to check back in later this weekend for a look ahead. For now, UF sucks. UK sucked (though I agree with mal's statement that Cal does it to build experience, which his rotating door of freshman need). I just don't feel good about this season for UF, or the SEC at this point.

Feel any better about the SEC after Dukes game against Auburn?

Let Duke have their fun in November. Yeah, they will always have that blowout game against us. But they aren't winning the championship, folks. Not gonna happen. Maybe if they still had Grayson Allen it'd be more realistic. The aggression I noted earlier, that will get them a long way throughout the ACC (although I'm curious about Virginia) but teams are already starting to develop plans around Zion.

Beat Kentucky by 34...ok, well a lot of those are garbage points that were put on after the game had already been decided. But that's fine. First real game, no one has a tested battle plan against you...you come out be physical and aggressive, we get caught in the headlights, you destroy us. Well done. Interesting though, after Dukes next three cupcake games, they play Auburn and win by only 6? Very interesting. It's going to get worse. I'll be dialed in to the Gonzaga game tonight.

Auburn looked really athletic. They will challeng Kentucky this year for the SEC

Yeah, don't forget about Tennessee and Mississippi State. And LSU. People sleep on SEC basketball for a long time for good reason, but they need to start waking up.

That game really shouldn't have been that close at the end. Fouls mysteriously stopped being called there for about ten minutes as Duke was making their comeback. I'm curious as to whether ESPN will still be trying to decide if Zion is the next Lebron after this L or if they will take a break until after the big Stetson game next Saturday...

:wimper:

Year 4 for Coach Mike White and we in Gatorland expected better - it's his guys now, and four years to get his 'system' in place. But it seems his system is to lean on star players to do it all on offense and hope enough guys are awake at the same time on defense to get a stop...or pray for the other team to miss, a lot.

We simply don't have our act together, and while we have some great players on paper, it's the coach that has to take that paper potential and make real tigers out of them. Right now, we've got kittens at best.

I'm going to keep my focus on football thru this weekend. Hope we crush the everluvincrap out of F$U, then maybe I'll tune back in for the cupcake preseason part of our schedule and regain more false hope only to watch it get popped like a child's balloon when we hit conference play. Just not feeling like a basketball year, just sitting 2-2 in the early season. I have a sinking feeling our coach may be on his last year or two and we start the search again. :\

Dude tlb...FSU got so lucky today against LSU. Hit the rim from 3 with .5 seconds left in OT, got a crazy bounce, went in. I knew you'd be happy about that lol.

:groan:

Always SEC over hated rivals....of course F$U wins :|

Gators host #10 Mich State tomorrow at noon!

We gon get our ass kicked. :\

^^ hrmmm...maybe.

we are @ Seton Hall tomorrow at noon. I'm sure the place will be rockin.

That would be a good game, UK youth ...mature enough to win as they should with their talent? Is SH still a power, or has that faded?

I'm not sure, to be honest. They are 5-3, beat Miami and only lost by 5 to Louisville... no idea how old or young their team is. If they're full of upper classmen and they pack the building, I can see it being close.

This kentucky team hasn't really give me a reason to be optimistic yet. I'm patiently waiting.

Woohoo! Only lost by 4. Now, to watch the DVR of it.