• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to get away from this Benzo trap is hell and I just don?t know what to do.

Libscout

Bluelighter
I?ve been abusing klonopin in large quantities on and off over the years and I?m bound and determined to fight this and eventually my brain compounds growing back, bringing back the old me. I?ve detoxed from klonopin cold turkey, so it know what?s it?s like (a month locked away in my room suffering) and I didn?t want to do it this way, I wanted to wean off of it gradually. I?m not prescribed them, so unfortunately, my doctor can?t Start a wean dose. I?Ve started taking 2 three times a day, 1 three times a day, .5 three times a day and then .25 three times a day. It?s already been tough and I?ve gone through my supplies because even know it?sin my system, I can?t sleep at night because I?m not sedated enough so It?s been taken more than I should completely messing up my wean. I?m going to make a conscious effort not to take more than I told myself I would. I know I can do it, I just want this to be over. I?m running low, not a lot around and finances aren?n the best at the moment. I?m going to get more to try and complete this wean I only have like 40 1 mg pills left and that?s not enough for a successful wean. Can you guys give me some input on how to get through this nightmare the best way I posssibly can? I?m suffering and my entire life is as well. Thank you.

Slow and steady would be the way to go when trying to wean off benzos. Without the assistance from a doctor, it would be difficult. Can you try only using your supply at night?

I'm going to move this over to Sober Living and you may get more assistance. Wish you luck!

Have you discussed this with your doctor? As dangerous as benzo withdrawal can be, I find it surprising that your doctor won't prescribe enough so that you can taper down safely. If your doctor doesn't trust you enough to do that (or you don't trust yourself), a medically-monitored inpatient detox is the best way to go. Another option is to go to an emergency room - I've rarely had problems getting a short script (usually Librium) for a taper. But that's only if you can trust yourself not to abuse them.

I'm weary of rehab detoxs for a serious benzo habit. They go too fast and it ends up being worse then it needs to be. I would research very carefully if you go that route

You are not going to die. Ask your doctor for some anticonvulsants such as gabapentin or depakote etc....

You are going to make it out of your withdrawals alive. You got this.

I'm weary of rehab detoxs for a serious benzo habit. They go too fast and it ends up being worse then it needs to be. I would research very carefully if you go that route

The rehab I was at would detox you off alcohol with a 5 day benzo course, opioids with a 2 week subutex course, but to get people off benzos they would put them on a 2-3 month taper plan and take it down really gradually. I didn't see any of the benzo patients suffer significantly or the alcoholics come to think of it, though many of the opioid addicts had a hard time with the rapid withdrawal of subutex. My point is that you're probably right about many places, but some institutions know what they're doing and can transition you to physical sobriety proficiently.

Have you discussed this with your doctor? As dangerous as benzo withdrawal can be, I find it surprising that your doctor won't prescribe enough so that you can taper down safely. If your doctor doesn't trust you enough to do that (or you don't trust yourself), a medically-monitored inpatient detox is the best way to go. Another option is to go to an emergency room - I've rarely had problems getting a short script (usually Librium) for a taper. But that's only if you can trust yourself not to abuse them.

Great point. OP, were you totally honest with your doctor in telling him that you already have a physical dependence on benzos? If I were you I would tell him that you already have an addiction and suffer withdrawals when you stop and that you're about to run out of the resources to acquire more. If he turns you away still with nothing then he is being medically negligent as he's sending you away to potentially have a seizure & die. You may have to prove first that you're on benzos with a urine test, but then really they shouldn't send you away to do it cold turkey. If you didn't emphasise that you're already physically dependent and just went to the doctor asking for benzos then that would explain why you were turned away since he may have just assumed you're drug-seeking rather than in actual need of help.

When I took myself off benzos I tapered very, very slowly. I also used various OTC sleep meds at night, which didn't help much but did help a little. It was tough but I made it. Best wishes to you.

Peace&Love,
jasper

You are not going to die.
Probably not, but to glibly imply that benzo withdrawal can't be fatal is IMO irresponsible. Not that I have seen people die from benzo WD alone, but I have seen someone die from alcohol withdrawal and it's pretty much the same animal.

[h=1]Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: Potentially Fatal, Commonly Missed. Following benzodiazepine cessation, withdrawal symptoms may begin within 24 hours or take up to two weeks to develop[/h]Greenberg, Michael I. MD MPH
Emergency Medicine News: December 2001 - Volume 23 - Issue 12 - p 18
doi: 10.1097/01.EEM.0000292622.83311.c3
Toxicology Rounds