Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️

• ⭐️

• Total voters

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Also called The Great British Baking Show in the US (due to Pillsbury owning the "Bake Off" name):

f90b961a-d1a6-4437-865a-9c75d98ad12a.jpg

4d38e033-377f-4b94-a878-9ca31ae7ce11-gbbo9-baker-group-1162.jpg

Anyone else watch this? I love it. It's on Channel 4 in the UK, Foxtel in Australia, and Netflix and PBS in the US. We're on season 8 in the UK and Australia. I think the US is 1-2 seasons behind, plus they didn't get the first 3-4 seasons broadcast in the UK either, so it's like season 5 there I think.

I like to bake and can whip up a pretty decent cake or pudding. I've never really done bread or things like pizza though, nor some of the more technically difficult things, but I would if I had a more space in my kitchen :)

This is one of my favorite cooking competition shows. Maybe only Top Chef beats it, but those are pros so it's a different kind of show. Way better than the US Masterchef or any of the food network shows.

They actually did an American version of this show and it was great. But it got #metoo'ed and I doubt it will ever come back. They had an entire season filmed and they trashed it!

I've not voted in the poll because you don't have a category for 'absolute wank'.

This is one of my favorite cooking competition shows. Maybe only Top Chef beats it, but those are pros so it's a different kind of show. Way better than the US Masterchef or any of the food network shows.

They actually did an American version of this show and it was great. But it got #metoo'ed and I doubt it will ever come back. They had an entire season filmed and they trashed it!

That's a shame! I was meaning to watch the US version at some point. Can't believe they'd ditch a whole series of it.

There are so many cooking shows these days, but for me this one still stands out as something quite different.

Do you guys get a British program called 'Come Dine With Me'? Afaic it's the only foodie program worth watching. Four or five random individuals from all walks of life each have to host a dinner party at their own homes for the others, including 'entertainment'. Then each host is awarded a score by the others for their efforts. It's great because they invariably get pissed, fall out and bitch about each other. Plus there's a guy doing a commentary who just blatantly takes the piss out of each contestant.

None of these pompous or foul mouthed pock faced food snobs, just ordinary people being dicks.

Lol people can hate on anything apparently. How does someone get so bothered by a baking show?

^ right. don't like it, don't watch it. problem solved.

p.s. ruby is hot :)

alasdair

Lol people can hate on anything apparently. How does someone get so bothered by a baking show?

Yes, because some things deserve to be disdained...it is some trite show that does a disservice toward doing things, in favour of watching other people do them!

This is how you hijack actual, activity. There are so many tv shows that are spoon-feeding people what they wish they could be doing; dating;baking - it's convenience that thwarts the impetus for real-life - just making sitting a sport.

^ right. don't like it, don't watch it. problem solved.

p.s. ruby is hot :)

alasdair

Right, like, you're a dissapointment, Alisdair - Trite response is trite. Ruby would bake you a stale, STALE, cake!!!

Do you guys get a British program called 'Come Dine With Me'? Afaic it's the only foodie program worth watching. Four or five random individuals from all walks of life each have to host a dinner party at their own homes for the others, including 'entertainment'. Then each host is awarded a score by the others for their efforts. It's great because they invariably get pissed, fall out and bitch about each other. Plus there's a guy doing a commentary who just blatantly takes the piss out of each contestant.

None of these pompous or foul mouthed pock faced food snobs, just ordinary people being dicks.

This is also, awful. By awful I mean worse thaan being stuck in traffic - a.) because it's a british show that keeps the plain ordanary order. b.) because everyone and everything in it sucks balls c.) because the narrator is meant to mediate the snobbish british attitude that makes whe W.C. feel appeased and the U.C. feel smugly justified - hence it's appeal to the British concensus.

...awful, like Theresa May dancing, awful.

Yes, because some things deserve to be disdained...it is some trite show that does a disservice toward doing things, in favour of watching other people do them!

This is how you hijack actual, activity. There are so many tv shows that are spoon-feeding people what they wish they could be doing; dating;baking - it's convenience that thwarts the impetus for real-life - just making sitting a sport

i think that’s a bit of a stretch. Some people just like the show. Are you actually saying there are people who have an interest in baking, but don’t because they’ve watched a baking show? Seems counterintuitive to me. I watch cooking shows all the time and occasionally get ideas from them of things I want to try, then eventually I do. So that would be the opposite of what you’re saying.

This is also, awful. By awful I mean worse thaan being stuck in traffic - a.) because it's a british show that keeps the plain ordanary order. b.) because everyone and everything in it sucks balls c.) because the narrator is meant to mediate the snobbish british attitude that makes whe W.C. feel appeased and the U.C. feel smugly justified - hence it's appeal to the British concensus.

...awful, like Theresa May dancing, awful.

I think you mean 'ordinary'. Also, there's no apostrophe in 'its'. ;)

^Gold Star, FUBAR! ;) Up with this we shall not put (still not - remotely -a valid argument for CDWM, though *cough*)

i think that’s a bit of a stretch. Some people just like the show. Are you actually saying there are people who have an interest in baking, but don’t because they’ve watched a baking show? Seems counterintuitive to me. I watch cooking shows all the time and occasionally get ideas from them of things I want to try, then eventually I do. So that would be the opposite of what you’re saying.

..Well you know stretching is good for the mind ;). Besides, it fails to show the techniques involved in the baking process( briefly references them for affect but this is limited in instruction of/on the skill-set). Typical tv trite-nonsense, dreseed up as substance.

With my PC hat on: Do appreciate how this is an impetus toward adopting a hobby. I also love cake - who fukin doesn't - Monsters and child Molesters - thats who!; even the latter is questionable but that has nothing to do with anything - just cake is worthy of veneration; especially if one is in search for a diety to fill proverbial void - cake and it's baked-good derivitives are a pretty worthy replacement, tbf.
Swiflty removing it: It's a godawful show that belittles a skill-set into nothing more than a contest for t.v.audiences to (mis)judge without expending any energy.

Also, that idiot from the Mighty Boosh - why has nobody burned him, 'accidentally' - I'd watch that.

Just have a show where all the judges get poisoned.Just have some contestants like, Graham Young - some proper, Britannia!=D

Last edited:
Maybe it’s just because it’s so popular over there? It’s fun to not like popular things.

do you hate acting because it belittles real life scenarios into nothing but dress up make believe for audiences to misjudge without ever experiencing them on their own or using any energy? ;) what about professional sports?! 8o

^ Nope, none of those reasons - I purely, subjectively think its bad-quality, nonsense (and I have been sucked into it) so that is that.

I like some acting; not all. I like some sport; not all. It really is a wonderful world of nuance! =D

The GBBO, is a giant fart wrapped-up in substance and thats my final 2c on it ( obviously no offence to CFC, as CFC is lovely) - tis but an opinion and I have interjected it, like a soggy-bottom on a tarte au citron ;) - The fact that that term is more ubiquitous than the Famine in Yemen, is a testement to it's stupidity - Anyhoo, Fuck it, to hell imho. ;)

Last edited:
I love the fact that you hate GBBO asclepius :D

I just caught up with this year's final. I didn't think much of this year's final challenge tbph - the landscape idea seemed a bit lame some how and I wonder who came up with it. Still, I think the winner was fairly obvious this year and deserved the title, though there were more strong contenders this year than I think I've seen for a few seasons.

Now I have to wait for AN ENTIRE YEAR for another season, and that's giving me serious soggy bottoms :(

^ haha awesome! This is why I respect your bones. ( I also respect the fact you like it, as its totally relatable but realting, has a threshold, where it starts to stagnate, so, ya dig me!) ;)

@ Malevolent: If Id to choose, I slightly like Rick Steins' series; a bit stilted but I like his approach, somewhat, as in you get to see a bit of geographical landscape and cultural experience thrown-in, for good measure - It's like Geography class but with cake/chicken/shellfish recipies, thrown in, for good gastronomical, measure ;)

Last edited:
^ Oh yeah Rick's latest series where he's travelling around the Med, Croatia, Dalmatian, Greece was lovely in lots of ways :)