• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

UK Protestant church version of the Catholic first holy Communion, what's it called

Boku_

Bluelighter
I ask because I am a 38 year old first generation Australian who's mum and step dad were raised catholic in Ireland so originally i was a practising Catholic who attended Catholic schools here in Melbourne but when i was really young like 7 years old i was visiting my Mum's parents who lived in Donegal Eire and i experienced a violent home invasion that was resolved when the UVF paramilitary from nearby Northern Ireland came to help.

It's a long story i won't go into but the expectancy from the UVF was that my whole family would convert to the UK Protestant church or in my case the Australian Uniting Church that is the aussie version of the UK Protestant church.

So in grade 3 i first did the catholic first holy Communion then a few months later i did the Protestant church version of the Catholic first holy Communion where instead of drinking red wine and eating a piece of wafer bread i drank a glass of hard liquor like Scotch and repeated a line in Latin.

For the life of me i can't remember what the name of the Protestant ritual and rite of passage that involved tasting alcoholic spirits was

@Boku_: culturally relevant? eucharist?

@F.U.B.A.R.: now this is what confuses the shit out of me. drinking is a sin but it's used as a passage of rights. we call it tossed, blitzed, slobberlnockered or drunk (among other things).