Bluelight

Thread: Doxxing is bad, right?

1. Collapse Details
    Doxxing is bad, right? 
    Professor Emeritus TheLoveBandit's Avatar
    Thumbs down
    I think we all pretty much agree doxxing is evil, and those who do it should be held to the maximum available penalty. In this instance, a career intern for democrats has been busted for it:

Jackson Cosko, who calls himself a ?Democratic Political Professional? with cybersecurity expertise, is accused of multiple crimes for allegedly doxxing Republican Senators during the Brett Kavanaugh/Christine Blasey Ford hearings.

The United States Capitol Police arrested Cosko, saying he allegedly ?posted private, identifying information (doxing) about one or more United States Senators to the internet,? a statement said.

According to Legistorm, he worked for U.S. Sen. Maggie Hassan (D-NH) and previously worked for Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA). He previously worked or was an intern with the office of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-CA, according to Fox News. A September 2018 letter from Sheila Jackson Lee (D -TX) identified him as a staffer for her office at that time. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee is a member of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee. (A different person working for Hassan was the intern suspended for shouting F*** you at President Donald Trump recently.)

According to Roll Call, on Monday, October 1, 2018, ?Majority Leader Mitch McConnell?s home addresses in Kentucky and Washington D.C. were added to his public Wikipedia page.? The site added that, during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing involving Brett Kavanaugh and his accuser Christine Blasey Ford, ?the personal home addresses, home phone numbers, cellphone numbers and email addresses of Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., Orrin G. Hatch and Mike Lee, both R-Utah, were added to the public Wikipedia pages from what appeared to be an IP address connected to the Capitol.? The information was then sent to thousands of people through an automated Twitter account that tracks Wikipedia account changes from Congress.

The complaint says that the Wikipedia page for U.S. Senator 4 was also edited to add statements such as, "He dares call for an investigation of ME?!?!?!?!" and "I am the Golden God!" and "Also It's my legal right as an American to post this info" and "We are malicious and hostile." Other statements said "send us bitcoins" and "Wednesday night will be doxxed next."

Accused doxxer of GOP senators allegedly threatened to publish lawmakers' children?s health info

A Democratic congressional aide accused of publishing the private information of at least three Republican lawmakers allegedly threatened to leak senators? children's health information if a witness told anyone about his activities.

Jackson Cosko, who recently worked for Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, was arrested for allegedly posting the personal information (or "doxxing") of a number of senators including Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Orrin Hatch, R-Utah on Wikipedia -- with information such as their home addresses and phone numbers. Graham, Lee and Hatch's information was published on Thursday.

2. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Sober & Healthy Living
    North & South America Drug Discussion
    he should have just posted it on wikileaks. which reminds me, ecuador is about to boot assange. they cut off his internet in the consulate and wikileaks now belongs to somebody else, but it doesnt seem to have hit the news yet

3. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by tathra View Post
    he should have just posted it on wikileaks. which reminds me, ecuador is about to boot assange. they cut off his internet in the consulate and wikileaks now belongs to somebody else, but it doesnt seem to have hit the news yet
    So you support doxing private, politically irrelevant information (only useful for personal attacks, not whistleblowing in the slightest) as long as it's on wikileaks?

4. Collapse Details

I think tathra mentioned wikileaks tongue-in-cheek, but took a tangent on assange.

I can't believe this guy is 27 and thinks this is acceptable. Though, it appears he is on his fourth or fifth Democratic internship, so...

5. Collapse Details

Cannabis Discussion
    I agree it's unacceptable to put this information out in a malicious manner, though a part of me believes people should know the locations of their senators. If you're a public servant you shouldn't have the same privacy rights if those rights allow you to hide information or hide physically from the public, IMO.

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWasLvL18 View Post
    I agree it's unacceptable to put this information out in a malicious manner, though a part of me believes people should know the locations of their senators. If you're a public servant you shouldn't have the same privacy rights if those rights allow you to hide information or hide physically from the public, IMO.
    Are you serious... You shouldn't have privacy,
    and be safe, in your own home, as a senator? Who the hell would want to be a senator?

7. Collapse Details

@SheWasLvl18: you mean like famous people get located easily in public or public officials should have even less of a private life than famous people do?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SheWasLvL18 View Post
    If you're a public servant you shouldn't have the same privacy rights if those rights allow you to hide information or hide physically from the public, IMO.
    In a sense, if you are a gov't official, your name is known and you count on local recognition to get you elected into office. However, you then move into the public office, with the public address. And keep your personal life separate. Always.

It's a job. They have a publicly known address to speak with them regarding their job. That office is available to whomever fills the job next, with an address and phone number to be reached at.

Personal lives matter. It's why we don't work out of our homes. Someone takes issue with how you do your job, they should take it up where you do your work, not at your personal residence with your family and children in witness.

9. Collapse Details

I have a question.

If a person who is a Senator or anyone else has their personal contact details up in public on the internet (like a white pages directory), is taking that info and putting it up elsewhere "doxing" or is that just being an arsehole?

Or is the term "doxxing" referencing finding details ie address etc and making them public actual doxing?

I thought doxing was a little more like blackmail or extortion, that's not that much fun to deal with.

Either way, the internet is a tool for various seedy behaviours, definately a dog act to do.

Over here the ancient form of communication used by early man known as the POST was used as a scare tactic during the last election (state or national I dobt remember which) with various govt wannabes being sent death threats on paper.

That seemed to hit home harder as did the dead rats dropped on their front door.

10. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    In this incident he got the info off House computers.

11. Collapse Details

DC Antifa Publishes Home Addresses of Tucker Carlson and His Brother -- As Well As Ann Coulter, Neil Patel, and Sean Hannity

The dox of right wing media figures was posted along with a message asserting that “politics affects people’s lives.” They demanded that the people they are harassing “stop promoting racism and fascism.”

The group left minutes after the police arrived — and no arrests were made.

Someone affiliated with DC Antifa told The Gateway Pundit that the protest at Carlson’s home was “just the beginning.”

No Empathy’: Vox’s Matt Yglesias Defends ‘Terrorizing’ Tucker Carlson’s Family

Vox.com co-founder Matthew Yglesias defended a group of left-wing Antifa members terrorizing Tucker Carlson’s wife.

On Wednesday night, a mob of about 20 members of a group called Smash Racism, which is part of the left-wing terrorist group Antifa, gathered outside the home of Fox News star Tucker Carlson. He was preparing to go on the air at the time and not at home, but his wife was, and according to video posted by the group itself, this was much more than a protest.

Using a bullhorn, the group chanted threats: “Racist scumbag, leave town.”

A second chant was even more threatening: “Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!”

Using their (now deleted) Twitter account, the Antifa group posted the menacing video and wrote, “Tonight, we remind you that you are not safe either.”

Overheard in one video is a woman saying she wished she had brought a “pipe bomb” to Carlson’s house.

Carlson told the far-left Washington Post that the left-wing terrorists “blocked off both ends of his street and carried signs that listed his home address.”

Carlson added, “They weren’t protesting a policy or advocating for legislation. … They were threatening me and my family and telling me to leave my own neighborhood in the city that I grew up in.”

Carlson told Fox News the terrorists “rang his doorbell, broke his oak door” and that his wife “called the police and locked herself into a pantry.”

I don't agree with harassing anyone in public. The encouragement for confrontation with anyone they oppose, be it in restaurants or other public places, and most certainly not at people's homes, is beyond decent behaviour, IMO. This escalation does not help the situation, it only raises the fears and will provoke a harder response.

If there is a political difference to be addressed, use the right forum and maintain decency. Regardless of which side you are on for a given issue, the other side is still human, with families who don't deserve this kind of treatment.

12. Collapse Details

Doxxing is unacceptable by anyone (unless they committed a serious crime and the information is routed appropriately).

For instance, those white supremacists guys who beat up a guy they dragged into a garage were identified from photos and the information was given to the police. I'm not sure that counts as doxxing though.

Anyway, I'm not against people expressing displeasure politely to a public servant about important issues when they are in public. No violence and no screaming.

Why? So they hear it. If you call a Senator's office, you don't speak to the Senator. You speak to a staff member.

But when these public servants want to get paid, your money is right there. How convenient.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by treezy z View Post
    Are you serious... You shouldn't have privacy,
    and be safe, in your own home, as a senator? Who the hell would want to be a senator?
    people that enjoy not working and taking bribes?

14. Collapse Details

Sober & Healthy Living
    or, imagine this: by representing your constituents instead of the highest bidder, the people (that is, your fucking employer) would have no reason to harass you about your refusal to do your fucking job

crazy idea, right?

15. Collapse Details

Harass about refusal to do a job, commonly known as nagging?

16. Collapse Details

^ nagging similar to a housewife when you have a blue collar job, definitely. not doing your job when your job is to take care of the people and being in the public eye i would defer to TLB's previous posts on. he summed it up nicely. (as opposed to referring to tathra's post because i would tend to think that kind of hazing is bad no matter how much i agree with him on it and i agree completely.)

rights are there to protect people, both sides. that means the good and the bad, confusing isn't it. if we deny the bad guys their rights we deny everyone else them as well. that's what it means when we call ourselves people.

@TLB: yes, doxxing is bad. yes, it should never be done. and if done never be revealed to the public (save for cduggles example). lynching someone for not doing their job is extreme, this is no longer the wild west but i see we have kept the same laws and gotten rid of the street justice instead. this is very confusing to me because these laws are becoming more and more manipulated by the rich, powerful and corrupt without any counterbalance for the citizens but i understand it's for the best of intentions and good of the people.

very well said, good articles and that wife of the reporter must've been shooken up to say the least. i believe that's called terrorizing someone. ( Smash Racism was lucky the guy wasn't the type to own a gun and use it on them)

17. Collapse Details

Hazing on the net is not doxing, doxing is something a few tools over the years have threatened me with, one did doxxed (by that I mean not just taking shit here or posting personal info in public, something far worse), and that is something which is unavoidable totally, as a private person the ability to deal with it is pretty easy, but public figures are different.

Public figures, well, it's not possible to have a public life/job/roll that requires attention AND also switch that off and on completely.

Theres just too much interest in the persons life that can override their actual job, in fact the personal lives of some can be used to get more income so the risk of going down that road is known.

I'm not saying it's ok to react to an unfavourable public image by invading their lives, but I dont really have much sympathy for people who make notoriously bad judgement calls and wind up with consequences in kind.

Its shit but not surprising and security to prevent unwelcome advances is not a big hoo has.

18. Collapse Details

Sober & Healthy Living
    Quote Originally Posted by invegauser View Post
    @TLB: yes, doxxing is bad. yes, it should never be done. and if done never be revealed to the public (save for cduggles example). lynching someone for not doing their job is extreme, this is no longer the wild west but i see we have kept the same laws and gotten rid of the street justice instead. this is very confusing to me because these laws are becoming more and more manipulated by the rich, powerful and corrupt without any counterbalance for the citizens but i understand it's for the best of intentions and good of the people.
    the four boxes of liberty

"There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."

this isnt coming out of nowhere, you know. there are years and years of context that you cant just ignore (though certain delusional people will certainly insist on ignoring it); we rightfully should be up to using the ammo box on some of these douchebags. some of these shits have been refusing to do their jobs for so many years, actively hiding from their constituents, and blatantly ignoring and calling fucking security on them if they show up to their office, that they absolutely should be harassed in public; in fact, they should get the same kind of treatment the trumpenproletariat are still giving to dr ford (she and her family are still unable to go home because they're still being thoroughly harassed and still getting death threats)

19. Collapse Details

It didn't and wont. Now neatly under the radar. Awful.

20. Collapse Details

the four boxes of liberty

"There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."

this isnt coming out of nowhere, you know. there are years and years of context that you cant just ignore (though certain delusional people will certainly insist on ignoring it); we rightfully should be up to using the ammo box on some of these douchebags. some of these shits have been refusing to do their jobs for so many years, actively hiding from their constituents, and blatantly ignoring and calling fucking security on them if they show up to their office, that they absolutely should be harassed in public; in fact, they should get the same kind of treatment the trumpenproletariat are still giving to dr ford (she and her family are still unable to go home because they're still being thoroughly harassed and still getting death threats)
    Quote Originally Posted by invegauser
    nagging similar to a housewife when you have a blue collar job, definitely. not doing your job when your job is to take care of the people and being in the public eye i would defer to TLB's previous posts on. he summed it up nicely. (as opposed to referring to tathra's post because i would tend to think that kind of hazing is bad no matter how much i agree with him on it and i agree completely.)
    underlined that for ya.

though i will say there is another box that i can think of that might keep you thinking i'm pushing against what your speaking of but i'm not. forgive me if i try to abstain from engaging with such actions but entertain such ideas. my intentions are it serves to benefit the whole when trying to exhaust all possible outcomes and i have the space and time to do so. i digress...

that box being the one we put them in, seal up, postage and address to the far side of the universe where they will never bother anyone ever again.

nice read btw
    Last edited by invegauser; 20-11-2018 at 13:39.