Thread: Brain-to-brain network allows three people to share their thoughts

1. Collapse Details
    Brain-to-brain network allows three people to share their thoughts 
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    I thought this looked very interesting. Thoughts?

There have been experiments in direct brain-to-brain communication before, but that's now extending to full-fledged networks. Researchers have developed a three-person brain network that lets participants send thoughts to each other -- in this case, to play a Tetris-style game. It used familiar technology, but in a much more scalable format.

The network relied on a combination of electroencephalograms to record electrical activity and transcranial magnetic stimulation to send info. Only one person could both send and receive data, but they also couldn't see the full screen -- that was up to two people who could send thoughts to the receiver. Those two would issue commands to rotate a block by focusing their attention on LEDs flashing at different frequencies, modifying their brain signals. The receiver would not only know whether or not to change the block, but could even determine whether or not one of the senders was playing a trick.

This isn't telepathy by any stretch. It requires external intervention, and can only send one "bit" of data at a time. The technology could scale up to a much larger number of people, though, and it suggests that you could eventually transmit considerably more complex thoughts across groups. That could easily create confusion (not to mention raise serious privacy issues), but it could be useful for both new forms of communication and help scientists learn about the inner workings of the brain.
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/30/...rk/?yptr=yahoo

I find this fascinating. Even though it's only the barest start to transmission of data directly from one brain to another, the fact that we have begun such a thing is pretty amazing. Also perhaps terrifying.

2. Collapse Details

Performance Enhancing Drugs
    I think great idea rather than terrifying. As someone with some level of autism, many of my thoughts get 'trapped' inside my head and I'm not really capable of expressing them cogently or coherently - the bus to my language centre is bottlenecked or something Being able to convey my thoughts instantly into another person's head would be such a relief.

OTOH I think that's probably hundreds of years away as, in reality, we know virtually nothing about the brain

3. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    The Dark Side
    I guess in terms of "possibly terrifying", I was imagining a future scenario where "TV" advertises to you in he form of direct thoughts, and the ability to create actual thoughts in someone (by talking to them inside their own head, basically except more root-level than talking) could blur the line of self.

But yeah, SO many times I've wished I could plug into someone's head to communicate what I'm trying to communicate to them that words can't express adequately. Another thing I hope is in the future is the ability to record and play back memories, in yourself and maybe also being able to share with others.

4. Collapse Details

Be afraid! Be very afraid!

Seriously shadowmeister, sounds cool but is it really? Your gut reaction is correct about this. I'm guessing you don't believe in telepathy cause in that case you'd know already you have this ability. Guess you don't believe in extrasensory perception either, cause then you'd know there is a whole universe of perception available to us that most people are blocked off from. So in your desire to augment yourself through technology you consent to become a pawn in a Transhumanist agenda. I beg you to consider that this is a trap that has been orchestrated for you to fall into. Sound like a conspiracy nut? Maybe, but you must be trusting of authority then and of advertisers and the good intentions of politicians, scientists and lawyers. Good luck with that. Try smoking some DMT before getting an electrode put in your brain.

5. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    The Dark Side
    Haha wow, you've made a lot of assumptions! I think ultimately this would be used for terrible ill. The idea of it is still cool though. For what it's worth, I have experienced telepathy in a limited way that I could not explain otherwise a couple of times, and I have also downloaded data (my first time tripping - mushrooms - I saw the microscopic and microscopic structure of the universe when I had never thought about that before, for example). I follow my intuition because I know that I know more than I know. I also don't trust advertisers in the slightest.

I still think it would be cool to be able to plug into someone else's brain so you could show them exactly what you mean, though. We could understand each other so much better.

6. Collapse Details

The decisions are delivered to the Receiver's brain via magnetic stimulation of the occipital cortex
    Huh... apparently this technique can be used to stimulate visual and audio experiences. I wonder if there's any side-effect to using this for longer periods

7. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober & Healthy Living
    Words
    Our worst sober people work only behind the scenes. We think with joy of the day when we shall be able to say Methamphetamine for the Users. Out with the sober. Heil Crystal Meth. No notion of the sober danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by ephemeralz View Post
    Be afraid! Be very afraid!

Seriously shadowmeister, sounds cool but is it really? Your gut reaction is correct about this. I'm guessing you don't believe in telepathy cause in that case you'd know already you have this ability. Guess you don't believe in extrasensory perception either, cause then you'd know there is a whole universe of perception available to us that most people are blocked off from. So in your desire to augment yourself through technology you consent to become a pawn in a Transhumanist agenda. I beg you to consider that this is a trap that has been orchestrated for you to fall into. Sound like a conspiracy nut? Maybe, but you must be trusting of authority then and of advertisers and the good intentions of politicians, scientists and lawyers. Good luck with that. Try smoking some DMT before getting an electrode put in your brain.
    The technological singularity may have already happened. How would you know that you’re a deterministic machine or not?

8. Collapse Details

amazing

9. Collapse Details

Drug Studies
    Quote Originally Posted by thujone View Post
    Huh... apparently this technique can be used to stimulate visual and audio experiences. I wonder if there's any side-effect to using this for longer periods
    Well two plus years into this and im not getting much that I can recognize. One thing they try and do is change behavior and thinking through dream manipulation. That's the state where the conscious mind is completely immobilized. IMHO its a pipe dream. Any of us who have struggled with addiction realize how hard it is to control our unconscious mind. I really think they are intensely misguided thinking that artificial dream implementation will have any recognizable impact.

They can also induce smell sensations.

10. Collapse Details

you've been using one of these things for two years? who what how why?! i'm amazed smell can be simulated ... or is it actually simulation, or just triggering a scent memory to make you feel as if though it's being simulated?

11. Collapse Details

Drug Studies
    I think its actually implanted smell sensations. The reason I think this is they have created many smells, but at first when they implanted the smell of MJ it was dirt brick weed. I have not smoked or smelled that shit in 20 years. Given I was a big time legal grower that had fields with 35 + strains of the dankest shit on the planet why would I smell mexi dirt weed. I wouldn't. The smells they induce are usually really strong and basic. The smell of pussy, shit, urine, different drugs and foods are pretty much what they have done.

This is the shit that's going down. I know its hard to believe. Its a remote BCI and some fuctards have been attacking people all over the world. Only once was it able to create waking optical hallucination, but others claim it does this regularly. They can induce dreams, but they all end up being like the same animation.

Take a look at this stuff from six years ago.

https://www.livescience.com/37938-ho...be-hacked.html

yep I know it sounds insane.. welcome to 2019 fuckers!!!

12. Collapse Details

not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
    Its a remote BCI and some fuctards have been attacking people all over the world.
    That's physically impossible, you need a magnetic field in at least the 0.1T range to affect brain activity and probably over 1T to do anything useful. Wikipedia says real devices are 2-3T:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transc...nism_of_action

Suffice to say broadcasting a 2T field would have a lot more noticeable effects than weird smells -- that kind of magnetic field could throw a car into the air like it was a dried leaf, knock over a skyscraper, and even exerts a (small, but measurable) force on non-magnetic materials like water.

13. Collapse Details

Drug Studies
    Idk what to say atara. I have only gotten away from this for less than five days in over two years. Its an AI remote interface and smart people like you will need to figure out how to escape from it. Look to the research the other "targeted people" have done. Hardly anyone believes this shit till it happens. It targets and kills people. I'm a nobody, but a rouge.. that might be why I was lit up. works off real time 3d RF beam steerage or steering.

In the beginning If I went over 75 miles an hour the interface could not keep up.. It would just start to play the same shit.. "this is your first reprieve" .. just play that over and over until speed was reduced.

I know what you are saying atara. But its real and happening. fucking thing is not going to take me out, but it makes my life misery.

14. Collapse Details

Drug Studies
    Also it has both a BCI and silent speech interface.. So don't get fooled during an interrogation. Its only going to broadcast back your silent speech, but will know every secret you have. They called it "57 questions".. basically its a few questions designed to find out all secrets. Its finds all the politically correct stuff we humans have hidden. The stuff we think to ourselves.. its a mind reader and we are far more fucked then we ever let on.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by neversickanymore View Post
    I think its actually implanted smell sensations. The reason I think this is they have created many smells, but at first when they implanted the smell of MJ it was dirt brick weed. I have not smoked or smelled that shit in 20 years. Given I was a big time legal grower that had fields with 35 + strains of the dankest shit on the planet why would I smell mexi dirt weed. I wouldn't. The smells they induce are usually really strong and basic. The smell of pussy, shit, urine, different drugs and foods are pretty much what they have done.
    whoa. that's even more intense than the other possibility o_o

i'm firmly convinced that we're all going to be plugged into "the Matrix" in the future. in a funny way it's probably better we go that route rather than continue to decimate the Earth to extract resources to fuel conspicuous consumption. why do that when we could probably live cleaner lives if we can just put on some magnetic helmet, bypass the human sensory system and just feed experiences directly into the brain

16. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    New Member Introductions
    Quote Originally Posted by atara View Post
    That's physically impossible, you need a magnetic field in at least the 0.1T range to affect brain activity and probably over 1T to do anything useful. Wikipedia says real devices are 2-3T:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transc...nism_of_action

Suffice to say broadcasting a 2T field would have a lot more noticeable effects than weird smells -- that kind of magnetic field could throw a car into the air like it was a dried leaf, knock over a skyscraper, and even exerts a (small, but measurable) force on non-magnetic materials like water.
    Absolutely. I worked IRL doing R & D for a medical imaging engineering firm and worked with fields of up to 6T on a daily basis. At this level all ferrous based items are basically projectiles pointed at the source. You would be likely to notice this kinda effects

17. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    The Dark Side

i'm firmly convinced that we're all going to be plugged into "the Matrix" in the future. in a funny way it's probably better we go that route rather than continue to decimate the Earth to extract resources to fuel conspicuous consumption. why do that when we could probably live cleaner lives if we can just put on some magnetic helmet, bypass the human sensory system and just feed experiences directly into the brain
    What if we're already in the Matrix, and we create a Matrix within the Matrix? Or if we're already somewhere in the middle of an infinite series of simulations.

18. Collapse Details

Drug Studies

TY thujone.

Its amazing to have been given the gift of a different prospective and its damn good to feel like a bowling ball because of this.

19. Collapse Details

Drug Studies
    On the claims that this is impossible. It's not I already know this, but I'm trying to work my way through this. Are you guys on ResearchGate?

look this one up.

Consciousness as a Physical Process Caused by the Organization of Energy in the Brain
    November 2018Frontiers in Psychology 9
    DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.02091

LicenseCC BY
    Robert Pepperell
    Last edited by neversickanymore; 16-01-2019 at 03:38.