• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

New Here :)

Humblefailure

Greenlighter
Hi!

I'm Alex I'm an addict, and I've always wanted to show myself on Bluelight.

I have 29 months of continuous sobriety from all mind-altering substances and alcohol.

I entered into my sobriety from a very very bad run with cocaine, xanax, and percocet. Didn't want to stop, but my blackouts kept getting longer and longer until I honestly had no control or memory over the next day once I took my first substance... It was fun for years until my world got smaller and smaller... I needed help, and my family helped me get into a rehab.. I went to Sunrise House in New Jersey. From there I was told to ask God for help. I didn't believe in God but I did anyway. I had no other choice. I started going to AA meetings when I got back home and they changed my life. I do a lot of service work today in my local area. I work at a rehab. I enjoy giving this gift to someone who wants the help. I'm not perfect today by all means, I still feel like I'll be an addict forever, but I'm okay with that. I just quit nicotine a day ago and I joined Nicotine Anonymous and so far it's been a hell of a show but I take it a day at a time..

Thanks

Thank you for posting this and welcome. Adding voices to all avenues of experience is valuable. Stay blessed!

Welcome humble and congrats on all that clean time! :)

We especially love hearing from people who are doing well and are happy in recovery...sometimes it feels like once people do well in recovery, they move on with their lives and stop posting but we continue to hear from the people NOT doing well in recovery, or who are unhappy sober, and it can make it seem overwhelmingly negative in sober forums at times. Your recovery is a nice breath of fresh air! :)

Welcome! Glad to hear about you and your amazing progress. Keep up the good work.

Peace&Love,
jasper

Evil can be displaced but never eradicated, as all solutions breed new problems. -- Sheldon Kopp

Hi Humble-

29 months is a bit of a record around here? Congratulations on your progress. Giving up smoking isn't that hard - I did it dozens of times. I remember having a bad morning cough that scared me, so I quit smoking because I wanted to live, but once I stopped, I felt like I didn't want to live anymore - you probably know what I mean right about now eh? Funny thing too where I live (not that far from Los Angeles), you can't smoke inside a restaurant, which is ironic since you can't breathe outside one either :)

Seriously, just like with drugs, you can get through it and you'll feel so much better when that addiction has lost it's grip on you. Sometimes it takes a few tries, but if you really want to quit, you'll do it. You have a lot of inner strength to get through what you've already accomplished.

Thanks for joining up and sharing your journey with us. I wish you strength and happiness!

"According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Death is number two! Does that sound right? This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you're better off in the casket than doing the eulogy."
%) Dale